Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Report: ACC expected to play only conference games, Notre Dame in rotation
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 61
| visibility 1

TNET: Report: ACC expected to play only conference games, Notre Dame in rotation

Jul 9, 2020, 4:23 PM

Report: ACC expected to play only conference games, Notre Dame in rotation

College football's Power 5 conferences are making moves in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Big Ten announced it will only play conference games this fall Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pull the Irish's shillelagh out of your mouth Swofford!***

Jul 9, 2020, 4:29 PM

Re: Pull the Irish's shillelagh out of your mouth Swofford!***

Jul 9, 2020, 4:48 PM

Notre ### says - "Let's see, if we get a bowl game we say thanks for helping us out with football but sorry about not sharing any revenue with you." Worst deal ever in college sports. They ain't what they used to be or think they are. Get commish retired and let's have someone with nuggets not a** kissing.

Jul 9, 2020, 4:58 PM [ in reply to Pull the Irish's shillelagh out of your mouth Swofford!*** ]

This would have been the perfect time to press ND to bring their FB into the ACC, and he has dropped/fumbled the ball again as usual!!!! Why does nobody see that Swofford has always been bad for the ACC. Just like the deal with ESCECPN and the ACC network, just how many times did he allow them to jerk the ACC around with the ACC network!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2020, 9:01 PM

Spot on...what a missed opportunity to pressure ND into being a full member or ditch their season! Self Ford has no foresight

Jul 10, 2020, 2:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Pull the Irish's shillelagh out of your mouth Swofford!*** ]

Exactly! Now is when you tell ND, full membership or nothing. They get their tv money, and a share of ACC. Swofford a real gutless piece of dried turd! Good riddance! The rest of the members have lost 10s of millions and operate with less money because he was 10 years late to the network parry, then fumbled and bumbled and didnt get full coverage nor the money other leagues got. And we pay him about 3 million a year?

Re: TNET: Report: ACC expected to play only conference games, Notre Dame in rotation

Jul 9, 2020, 4:42 PM

Can we play 12 conference games please + 1 mandatory win against the coots?

Drop akron, Cit, pick up Duke, Carolina. Done right?

GT
Loserville
UNC
UVA
BC
FSU
NCSt
Cuse
ND
Duke
Wake
Coots
+
Coastal Winner
+CFP Semi vs Big10
+CFP Final vs whatevs
+CFP victory parade

Easy.

Re: TNET: Report: ACC expected to play only conference games, Notre Dame in rotation

Jul 9, 2020, 4:51 PM

That's perfect!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2020, 5:04 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Report: ACC expected to play only conference games, Notre Dame in rotation ]

FutureDoc said:

Can we play 12 conference games please + 1 mandatory win against the coots?

Drop akron, Cit, pick up Duke, Carolina. Done right?

GT
Loserville
UNC
UVA
BC
FSU
NCSt
Cuse
ND
Duke
Wake
Coots
+
Coastal Winner
+CFP Semi vs Big10
+CFP Final vs whatevs
+CFP victory parade

Easy.

Trust me there won’t be any bowls or play-off. It will be a season till Thanksgiving if anything and that’s it...

Why do you say that?***

Jul 9, 2020, 5:46 PM

Re: Why do you say that?***

Jul 10, 2020, 12:19 AM

Join the conference, or have minus 6 games in a screwed up pandemic season bc, the ACC is only playing in conference games. Make them join, and if they try to pull out when everything clears up, what is it, something like a $50 mil pull out fee!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bad take is Bad.

Jul 9, 2020, 6:11 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Report: ACC expected to play only conference games, Notre Dame in rotation ]

Money is in the playoff = playoff will happen

Re: Bad take is Bad.

Jul 9, 2020, 8:45 PM

No way the conferences are going to walk away from half $1 billion for the playoff

LOL do you really think money has much to do with it at this point?

Jul 9, 2020, 9:05 PM [ in reply to Bad take is Bad. ]

Airlines, hotels, and many other businesses have suffered significant financial losses due to COVID-19. If those types of businesses have suffered that much, despite them really wanting to continue with business as usual, the same will happen with college football.

Remember, conference basketball tournaments and the NCAA Tournament were canceled earlier this year. That’s a huge money maker too, and it didn’t matter when it came down to the public pressure to save lives.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Right, but people are past the saving lives bit

Jul 9, 2020, 11:19 PM

That's why we argue about wearing masks and take no precautions when interacting with others. That's why the infection rates are skyrocketing in the summer months when it was going to die out. We are done trying to wait it out and save lives. We want normal back. Football is normal.

Jul 9, 2020, 6:13 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Report: ACC expected to play only conference games, Notre Dame in rotation ]

Who cares football isn’t being played.

Re: We will know from Swoff what we do w ACC football

Jul 9, 2020, 4:43 PM

as soon as Duke tells him. Be patient.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What about South Carolina?

Jul 9, 2020, 4:45 PM

I believe it is technically state law that we play each other. Would that be our "plus 1" or was that meant to just help ND??

Re: What about South Carolina?

Jul 9, 2020, 9:26 PM

That is not true, however it is talked about a lot. It was brought up in state legislature years ago but never passed.

So COVID won’t be transmitted if you play in conference? Dang you learn something new everyday.
Like others have said going to other states is okay but playing your instate rival isn’t.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly. The utter insanity of this grows and grows.

Jul 9, 2020, 5:44 PM

If we are going to play sports, then play sports. Playing a limited number of games or only games in-conference is meaningless. It's a mockery to common sense. If it's going to spread in sports, which it will regardless of how much we "slow" it now, then it's going to spread in shortened seasons and limitied games. It spreads very quickly and only playing 60 baseball games or only conference games is going to alter the rate of spread. What exactly do these "braintrusts" think they're accomplishing with this illogical approach? This is utter nonsense.

The virus WILL spread once sports start en masse. Nothing we do now or during the various sports seasons will prevent it from transmitting once players play and fans gather to watch. We either need to recognize this fact, go forward, and continue to go forward even when sports players and fans contract it, or just cancel everything. Stop everything right away, because living life in half a bubble will not eradicate it. Might as well just set mandatory lockdowns for everyone. Necessities must be delivered to homes by trained personnel who are subject to daily testing. This mandatory lock down must stay in place until there's a vaccine or the virus completely goes away on it's own. A half bubble will not stop it. No economy, no entertainment, no socializing, no going outdoors when others are present, for any reason whatsoever. Complete lockdown. Only when we have a verified vaccine or a few months of demonstated zero transmission, only then can we reopen and go about life with some semblance of normalcy. Then, if some people begin to contract it again, just shut everything completely down again. No problem. The economy and life as we know it will be just fine. No need for economies or concerns for the well-being of human beings. That's all overrated.

And then when the next virus strain rises up, or even a typical flu, let's do the whole process again. Because obviously completely shutting everything down and canceling life will have less impact on humanity than the 0.007% of the world' population that could die from COVID. Please note the sarcasm.

To this point, currently just over 550,000 people have died worldwide from COVID. Meanwhile between 290,000 to 650,000 people die worldwide from the flu each year. This is not to downplay the veracity of COVID, but it does shed some relative light on the comparison. I'm guessing more than 650,000 people may die from COVID, I don't know, but what is the threshold for shutting down the world? Are 290,000 to 650,000 flu deaths relatively acceptable whereas above 650,000 requires a worldwide shutdown?

In all, my opinion is that we play sports. Some people will get sick whether we are able to slow it now or not. Go forward with life, because attemping to live life in half a bubble will not make the virus go away. And likewise, if the world is going to shut down for COVID, then the world should be shutting down for flus and every other novel virus which WILL hit the world.

And by the way, I hope no one lectures me about (seemingly) not caring about high risk people. My mother is in stage 4 of COPD, and if she even so much as gets a common cold it could be fatal. So, it is my duty to remain diligent and try to protect her from ANY and ALL ailments. At all times. This virus is no different in needing to protect the high risk group, just as it should be no different for anyone in contact with high risk family, friends, or general population and any virus, or flu.

Re: Exactly. The utter insanity of this grows and grows.

Jul 9, 2020, 6:02 PM

It is as if you read my mind and put all of the jumbled thoughts that I have had about the current situation into an articulate and understandable narrative. Kudos and thank you.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Exactly. The utter insanity of this grows and grows.

Jul 9, 2020, 6:02 PM [ in reply to Exactly. The utter insanity of this grows and grows. ]

It is as if you read my mind and put all of the jumbled thoughts that I have had about the current situation into an articulate and understandable narrative. Kudos and thank you.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hard to think that if the schedule was actually ACC plus-one we would choose Notre Dame over Scar.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2020, 4:54 PM

I suppose for strength of schedule.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2020, 10:40 PM

Do you think the coots want to play us this year? They would rather forfeit the game because ??????7 they would claim the streak ended and start over....lol

We want that game but they are CHICKEN!

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

This is ridiculous and people are stupid

Jul 9, 2020, 4:52 PM

The media pushes panic #### to make people believe that this is actually a risk for young people, but unless you already have an issue you will be fine. I know people who have had it bad, they all had major health issues. If you are one of those people then don't go to the games. Otherwise, it's like being scared of getting a cold. Stupid idiots.

Ok... I don't give a rip about Notre Dame but if Swofford

Jul 9, 2020, 4:56 PM

thinks he can keep us from kicking the sh*t out of USuC by doing some conference schedule +1 BS, then we all need to take to the streets and protest and burn the ACC offices down! (board libs - am I doing it right???)

Seriously, Clemson vs USuC rivalry has been played uninterrupted since 1909. If we were able to play this rivalry game through WWI, the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic (which was worse than the current Kung Flu), WWII, Vietnam and so on then there is no reason we cannot play this game because of COVID-19 which poses practically ZERO risk to the athletes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2020, 4:59 PM

Doesn't not playing shamecocks require SC State Legislature approval given there's a State Law on the books mandating the two schools play each other in football one a year? Or did I miss some previous change or amendment to that Law?
S

Posted this in another thread but apprently there was a one

Jul 9, 2020, 5:06 PM

game state legislative mandate to ensure the 1952 Clemson vs USuC game was played because otherwise a Southern Conference penalty imposed on Clemson would have prohibited us from playing USuC that year.

In 2012 a state legislator proposed a law requiring the game be played every year but the bill was killed in a subcommittee. It may be time for them to pull this bill back out if it looks like the ACC and SEC are going to try and cancel this year's chicken kicken...

https://www.postandcourier.com/politics/state_politics/usc-clemson-football-game-required-by-law/article_38c95e0d-8321-54d0-b306-c431f641c499.html

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2020, 5:02 PM

If that is the case, there is literally no excuse for why we would play at Notre Dame, thousands of miles away, and not play South Carolina.

Jul 9, 2020, 5:11 PM

Also does this mean we lose our home game with the coots and it's back to playing them next year in Cootlumbia. This is a crock.

Jul 9, 2020, 5:04 PM

Sickening. Is Swoffie going to make them eligible for the championship game and title too?

What about games scheduled for after November 4

Jul 9, 2020, 5:20 PM

when the media will start reporting things differently?

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Jul 24, 2017, 8:46 AM

Am I the only person who thinks this country is being run by a bunch of 5 year olds?
What in the world....playing non conference games helps not spread a flu virus?
Is this a joke...or a dream ...or just plain INSULTING TO MY INTELLIGENCE?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2020, 5:50 PM

Hate to say it, but I think Clemson can forget about the CFP without the Notre Dame game this year. That’s a shame, but you can already hear Pawwwl and the Big Ten homers whining about our SOS.

I think Clemson can win it all again this year too.

Jul 9, 2020, 5:50 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Report: ACC expected to play only conference games, Notre Dame in rotation ]

Hate to say it, but I think Clemson can forget about the CFP without the Notre Dame game this year. That’s a shame, but you can already hear Pawwwl and the Big Ten homers whining about our SOS.

I think Clemson can win it all again this year too.

If I had to guess, I would imagine it has to do with

Jul 9, 2020, 5:59 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Report: ACC expected to play only conference games, Notre Dame in rotation ]

liability. Just a hunch.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If I had to guess, I would imagine it has to do with

Jul 9, 2020, 6:21 PM

Nobody is being forced to go to any game. You go and you assume all risks. If you are scared to go, then stay at home at watch it on tv.

Well you've got to look at it like this-The coming 2020

Jul 9, 2020, 10:31 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Report: ACC expected to play only conference games, Notre Dame in rotation ]

NCAA football season has been cancelled. Ok so it's done, all over, no football. But wait, lets add in 8 conference games to our cancelled season to generate some revenue since we cancelled the season.

NO! Notre Dame either join or suffer!

Jul 9, 2020, 6:29 PM

Become a real member of the ACC

Jul 9, 2020, 6:54 PM

Look for Notre Dame to get out of playing us.

So what are we looking at 8 games? 10? All 12 against ACC***

Jul 9, 2020, 7:23 PM

It’s past time to tell ND to poop or get off the pot. The ACC has prostituted itself far too long for ND’s benefit. Time to either get IN the conference or get OUT.

Jul 9, 2020, 8:57 PM

Seriously? Look up the number of Catholics in the country, the contract Notre Dame has with the ACC and NBC, and Notre Dame's history in football?

Jul 9, 2020, 7:58 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlM3CKXJs5k

This is all part of the PR strategy which will culminate in canceling the season.

Jul 9, 2020, 8:33 PM

They can say that they tried to salvage the season, but it just wasn’t possible given this unprecedented pandemic.

Don’t get me wrong, the ACC wants to have a college football season as much as anyone. But the idea that there is a way to safely play games this season without risking people’s health (and in some cases, their lives) is a pipe dream.

Accept it now and you won’t be so distraught when the official announcement is made.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Jul 9, 2020, 8:54 PM

So will the State Legislature have to change the law that Clemson and South Carolina must play each other?

cOOt trash! The rent is still due this year!!

Jul 9, 2020, 8:58 PM

No way we don't play the cOOts and whip them up and down the field this year.

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Jul 9, 2020, 9:08 PM

I say someone design a clear shield like doctors are wearing to attach to the football helmets

I say All Games except "cupcakes: ...

Jul 9, 2020, 9:12 PM

Cupcakes were a waste of time anyway and lets get back to Days Of Old, only play games that are worthy. Also, less wear and tear on the students-athletes ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I say All Games except "cupcakes: ...

Jul 9, 2020, 9:47 PM

First thing that hit me when I read the story was Notre Dame should learn a lesson here and become a fulltime ACC'er.

No! I still want to play the coots.***

Jul 10, 2020, 4:13 AM [ in reply to I say All Games except "cupcakes: ... ]

After the election, COVID will miraculously disappear

Jul 10, 2020, 3:57 AM

And Antifa and BLM will stop being a thing... just watch...

All overly hyped nonsense.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2020, 2:45 PM

GOOD IDEA?

Jul 10, 2020, 3:01 PM

GOOD IDEA?

This is an outstanding idea!! Think about it—

Jul 11, 2020, 12:22 AM

I mean you wouldn’t want to get sick or anything. Don’t play anyone out of conference.

Signed,

Cocky

Jul 11, 2020, 6:18 AM

This is just the first step in a slow march to the cancellation of the college football season.

I thought by law we have to play the coots

Jul 11, 2020, 11:49 AM

Maybe I’m wrong?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 11, 2020, 9:57 PM

A good time to force NDs hand. Why should we help those greedy bastagizes?

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Replies: 61
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic