Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Red Shirt Philosophy
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Red Shirt Philosophy

Sep 29, 2016, 8:09 AM

Where does our staff stand on redshirting
I know there is sometimes a need for the young ones to play, but there is also appears to be some burning up unnecessarily?
We would have more time to develop
And have them around an extra year especially both offensive and defensive lineman

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Red Shirt Philosophy

Sep 29, 2016, 8:10 AM

John Simpson as perfect example
Still very raw?

and sometimes it doesnt matter

Sep 29, 2016, 8:31 AM

Mac Alexander only played for us 2 years.

he redshirted bc of injury and played as a RS FR and RS SOPH and then he was off to the NFL

if he was healthy he would have played as a true freshman and we could have gotten 3 years out of him. Sometimes it doesn't matter. I think John Simpson will play 4 years for us. Wouldn't be surprised if Hyatt played all 4 of his years.

Tre Lamar maybe 3
Skalski probably all 4
Boulware played all 4 years and some people were begging for him to RS
Shaq Smith so far looks like a RS but I wouldn't be surprised if he only gave us 3 years

just bc you get them another year doesn't mean they stay. Some need RS for developmental purposes and some are bc of depth at certain spots. I would have loved to RS Mullen but our depth was questionable as was our experience. He has played and now we know we get 3 years out of him.

No. Mullen & Simpson can still red-shirt***

Sep 29, 2016, 2:20 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No. Mullen & Simpson can still red-shirt***

Sep 29, 2016, 2:26 PM

Nope they have played in games.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

The biggest issue with this is that the type of players

Sep 29, 2016, 11:28 AM

that we really want to be recruiting (and have been recently) don't come into school with the intention of playing 5 years. Ideally these 4 and 5 star guys probably want to play 3 years and then go pro.

First off, i doubt that red shirting elite prospects is a good sales pitch. These guys want to be told that they will have a chance to compete and play immediately. The majority of them are good enough to come in and make positive contributions their freshman year anyway. A couple of positions like OL and QB typically take longer to learn so you don't see true freshman playing big roles there too frequently, but just look at Watson and Hyatt. Kids are coming into college more ready to play as true freshmen these days.

Then of course the other issue is that a RS doesn't pay off unless you keep a player for FIVE years. Mack Alexander took a RS his freshman year (largely due to injury) and still left after 3 years. Ideally we would've liked him to play his true freshman year to get some reps and experience. He was also good enough that he likely could've helped the team immediately. If a guy isn't likely to stay for five years there's just not a real compelling argument for a red shirt. Any experience they can get in that true freshman season is a positive going forward.

Redshirts are mostly for the guys that will be providing depth or come in raw and need more time to develop.

Red Shirt Philosophy....

Sep 29, 2016, 11:34 AM

...nice color to wear in the winter. It's warm tone makes ya feel warmer than you really are. Not a good color to wear in tge summer, too hot. I don't wear much red because alot of the teams I don't like do. (Or some variation of red ie: garnet.) And plus a red shirts really don't make my blue eyes pop..... My red shirt philosophy.

Don't wear them. #SOLIDorange***

Sep 29, 2016, 3:53 PM

Re: Red Shirt Philosophy

Sep 29, 2016, 4:05 PM

I only wear red in December at Christmas. The rival team is fried by then.

redshirt means injury or not going to play much at Clemson. What happens when we have all 4/5* players? You only going to have them 3 years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic