Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New SunTrust Park in Atlanta / review
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

New SunTrust Park in Atlanta / review

Apr 15, 2017, 4:51 PM

Nikki and I went down last night for the grand opening. Here are my rather long thoughts on it

SunTrust Park. I wanted to love it. I wanted it to be a place I would want to see again and again. Nikki and I made the trip to Atlanta to check out the new Braves park, and I figured I would write a review for those want to go down. So, did it meet my expectations? Well…yes and no.

I am a baseball lifer. I look at these stadiums as baseball cathedrals, and I wanted this park to wow me when I first walked in, like Camden Yards and Fenway Park and Wrigley Field and others have over the years. I walked in, and I smiled, but I wasn’t blown away. It is a gorgeous park. Aesthetically pleasing. They’ve done a great job building a beautiful ballpark, but when you walk into PNC at Pittsburgh and see the bridge, or you walk into the park in Frisco and see the big glove on one side and McCovey Cove on the other, or the Green Monster at Fenway or the warehouse at Camden or the Arch in St. Louis, you’re captivated immediately. That wasn’t the case, but hey, it’s still a pretty park and that isn’t a deal breaker.

I chose my parking a month ago – parking that was “closest to the stadium.” That was a lie. They’ve built up the area around the park so there is no parking except one garage for high rollers and VIPs. For most of us, we don’t fit that description. But, because parking is far from the stadium, ingress and egress are easier than at Turner. We never really waited in any traffic. Of course, you pay in advance and they send a barcode to your phone – no paper allowed – and none of the parking scanners were working. As a result, the poor people running the lots were just letting anybody in. Good thing I paid for a good spot, right? I also called while we were driving down the interstate, and I was assured there were shuttles running to and from the stadium. That was a lie...we didn't see our first shuttle until after the game, and that cost extra.

I’m being generous when I say our parking spot was a mile or so from the stadium – and you have to imagine that my spot was at the bottom of Stone Mountain and the stadium was at the top. We walked uphill the entire way, and you have to cross busy, traffic-choked intersections, cross over a major interstate, and dodge the traffic in front of the stadium. Not ideal, but Nikki says it was worth it to not be in traffic. But it’s also hard when the game is over and you’re tired and you have a 20-minute walk back to your car.

The area around the park is what I think they were aiming for when they built it. Nothing outside was really finished, but when they get it done it will be a destination place for young people, foodies and people who are more about being entertained than watching baseball. It’s called The Battery, and it will be a place I want to check out. I can’t wait until it’s done to see what all of it looks like.

When you first get into the stadium, make sure you visit the monument garden. It’s awesome and a great way to get introduced to the stadium. The statue of Hank Aaron is worth it all, but they also have historic baseballs, uniforms, and world series trophies. The garden is a MUST.
The concourses and stairs and the way the park is laid out resembles Turner. Nothing new or fancy, just the same. But the food choices are wider, and the food is better. We had a smoked chicken BBQ sandwich and curly fries and it was great. They had some serious issues, however. People would stand in line for 20 minutes, get to the front and find out it was a cash only line, with no signs. There were a LOT of irate people out there, and there weren’t enough ATM’s. People were 30 and 40 deep to get to the cash machines, and if you spend an hour getting food or cash you’ve missed a third of the game. The concourses also get very narrow, and there are choke points that leave you crushed in a sea of humanity.

You might be tempted to go to the Chophouse in right field and eat there because of the view. Don’t. It was awful, overpriced and had bad service at Turner and I think it’s worse at the new park. Worst ballpark food I’ve ever had. And there is no reservation system, and the only way you can get a table is to sit down and claim a spot while someone else is still sitting there. There were arguments and almost fights. Not worth it.

Our seats were down the first base line, and they were much better than anything at Turner. They were wide, the aisles were wide, and the sight lines were fantastic. And no matter where you are sitting, you have a great view of home plate. The extra room is fantastic, and even a big boy like me could sit next to someone and not touch. Also, they promised the WiFi could handle a sell-out crowd, and they were right. I logged on as soon as I got there and it was awesome all night.

But the game started, and I quickly realized that lack of a wow factor is where everything comes into play. The scoreboard is wide and bright and you can keep up with everything, but the lack of stats, the name of the pitcher and other little things need to be fixed. And as you’re sitting there, you realized they missed out on the “wow” because they went commercial. You have the Coors Light deck, and the Chick-fil-a cow, and the Home Depot party deck, and the big Delta board, and they’ve made your view into one big commercial. The CEO said in pregame “this park is for you fans. We built this for you.” No you didn’t. You built it for the businesses and advertisers, but I get why.

So you sit there, and the park itself is gorgeous, but it is unremarkable, and they have things that need to be fixed, and I am sure it will be. Just take a boat load of cash, and prepare to spend, spend, spend in “your” park while looking out at Home Depot, Delta, Coors and Chick-fil-a.
If you love baseball and the classic feel, this isn’t for you. If you love food and being entertained and could care less about pitcher-batter matchups, you will love it.

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

hilarious that parking was paperless, but concessions

Apr 15, 2017, 5:22 PM

were "paper" (cash) only.

Not surprised at the artificial-feeling, over-commercialized atmosphere, being that it IS Atlanta.
I'm like you, I go to see a baseball game, not between-inning Delta Airlines trivia contests.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed

Apr 17, 2017, 3:10 PM

Everything about the described atmosphere (or lack thereof) sounds like it perfectly fits Atlanta.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for the review, David.....

Apr 15, 2017, 5:36 PM

the Boss and I had initially thought about going to the SunTrust gala opening this weekend ourselves....I'm rarely one to get distracted by a ballpark's bells and whistles--regardless how poorly the opening day operation went. I'm sure they'll eventually get all the wrinkles ironed out, but I feel badly for those like you and Nikki who made a big trip hoping for a special experience and were disappointed.....I'm a baseball purist who'd still b&moan about the price of a hotdog and a coke during the game, but I am happy to hear the seating and view of the field are decent---I just can't figure out what was so wrong with "The Ted" a new park was warranted....progress, I suppose.

Weren't they going to build a Marta station there?? Parking and traffic issues are enough to keep me away until the Braves are mathematically eliminated---which, considering they way they played the 1st week+, should be about June 15th.

Maybe a better trip for you guys next time.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks for the review, David.....

Apr 15, 2017, 6:43 PM

Cobb county has always been anti-Marta. They may have to relent soon as the traffic nightmares grow, but I imagine it will be a long time before Marta makes it to SunTrust Park.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New SunTrust Park in Atlanta / review

Apr 15, 2017, 5:37 PM

Wow. That's bad.

TL:DR ;-)

Apr 15, 2017, 5:40 PM

I'll just have to go see for myself since I'm too lazy to read this.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2017, 5:48 PM

I've heard some of the same things from people... heard the walk was horrible and the stadium didn't fully live up to expectations but that it was a nice stadium just not special .

Apr 15, 2017, 6:16 PM

Sounds like the whole thing was a rushed mess, not to mention the expressway that was supposed to be done and isn't remotely close to being completed. Typical Atlanta. Overbuilt without the infrastructure.

The real issue for me is the awful location.

Apr 15, 2017, 7:04 PM

I live in Atlanta, and anyone who lives here or comes here regularly will agree that the location is horrible. The infrastructure to get in and out of the ballpark is horrible at any time, but it will be especially bad when there is a 7:00 PM game on a weeknight. Fans will not only have to deal with game traffic, but also rush hour traffic. That area around Cobb Galleria, where I-75 and I-285 converge, is a nightmare.

Part of the agreement when this site was selected was that there would be additional roads and pedestrian walkways constructed. They weren't. Hopefully they will be soon.

In addition, the stadium does not have any public transportation access. The ideal location would have had MARTA rail and bus access. This site doesn't currently have rail, and likely won't within the next 20 years. Very poor planning not to put this in a more urban area, rather than suburban. What was wrong with putting this in downtown or midtown? Or even Buckhead?

I'm not a huge baseball fan, and my comment and life aren't impacted one iota by the new stadium location. But I love the Atlanta metro area, so I am sad for the city and for those who are fans because this was a huge missed opportunity.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: The real issue for me is the awful location.

Apr 15, 2017, 8:15 PM

I've heard the games will be starting at 7:30 instead of 7:00 because of the rush hour mess. Whether the extra 30 minutes will help...?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

have you been? Because it wasn't "horrible" for me***

Apr 18, 2017, 8:22 AM [ in reply to The real issue for me is the awful location. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2017, 7:13 PM

Looks like $400mil in taxpayer funding didn't work out all that great.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Apr 15, 2017, 7:31 PM

They played tiger rag when Hunter Renfroe came up to bat! Still no love. Sigh.

Was planning on going to tonight 's being that this is my weekend off...

Apr 15, 2017, 7:48 PM

Unfortunately tonight's game is sold out.....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 17, 2017, 4:46 AM

It is sad to see the Braves become so commercially oriented. Atlanta Fulton County Stadium was a little uncomfortable but you felt like you were at a real baseball game. Parking wasn't bad either.

Turned Field was a little more commercialized but you still felt like you were at the ball park. The Braves should have stayed at turner field.

And all these new rules are killing the true spirit of the game. I use to live it when Bobby Cox would go out and take a piece of an umps butt back with after they threw him out of the game. Now they are talking about letting a computerized system call balls and strikes. Are the eventually going to faze out umpires too?? I could be wrong but I doubt you will see in the rest of my lifetime a Braves Team like those of the 1990's.

Thank you for the review of the Braves new entertainment facility.

I don't know where baseball is headed but I am losing interest fast. In fact I rarely watch the NFL, NBA or MLB anymore the announcers are terrible and it the games are not as engaging anymore.

I am afraid college football is headed in the same direction.

Going to a sporting event is becoming a "Rich" mans game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 17, 2017, 8:13 AM

Caught a few games at Turner during college years. Hard to believe they could do worse with this new stadium in terms of feel.

Agreed with your comments on the past, present, future of the leagues you mentioned. Without a doubt there is more SELL than game PRODUCT in most of them. Amazing what the average ticket price people are willing to pay.

Apr 17, 2017, 9:00 AM

Smyrna Braves Raise Up!

I was told they are building a new Roxy Theater right down the road from the stadium, just as excited about that.

Apr 17, 2017, 3:33 PM

They're already opened up the Roxy a couple of weeks ago!

Apr 17, 2017, 3:37 PM

Awesome, going to check their site out.

Apr 17, 2017, 3:40 PM

It looks like a super nice venue from what I can tell, but, my favorite is still the Tabernacle. Hands down best venue in Atlanta.

Apr 17, 2017, 1:09 PM

Native Atlantan here and the reviews I have heard have been fantastic.

First off, Fulton County had 40 years to develop the area around Futon County Stadium/ the Ted and they never did. The stadium was moved because the location was terrible with no atmosphere. So far there have been no traffic problems despite those crying for some. Traffic to the Ted was a nightmare especially for most of those who attended who were from the northern part of the city. At least the Ted was easy to get in and out of because of MARTA.....except the MARTA train stopped no where close to the stadium.

As far as the stadium I can't comment because haven't gone yet but give it time. The Ted was a nice stadium and everything I've heard has Suntrust being nicer.

I know some will hate it simply because it's in Atlanta then feel free to stay home.

If you want to ##### about a stadium fiasco try the Falcons new stadium. That thing is approaching being a billion dollars over budget and fingers crossed is ready for Alabama/FSU.

Apr 18, 2017, 6:40 AM

Same things I've heard. Players love the new ballpark as well and it's showing on the field. With the Best minor league system in baseball the future is bright for the Braves.

Apr 17, 2017, 2:27 PM

It is in the Atl metro so it has to be screwed up. I wish Sherman had done a better job burning that ghetto.

Sorry you hate Atlanta so much. Where do you live?***

Apr 17, 2017, 11:05 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Wow, sounds like the stadium is in Atlanta

Apr 17, 2017, 2:31 PM

run by Atlantans.

I guess your frame of mind dictates

Apr 18, 2017, 8:21 AM

I had a completely different impression on just about every point. I kind of get the impression you came in wanting to hate it, so you found every little thing you could to complain about. I've noticed many of my fellow South Carolinians love to hate Atlanta. I see phrases all the time like "over commercializations" and "fat cat VIPs". As someone that was born and raised in Greenwood, SC and now lived in Atlanta for as many years as I lived there (18), I can tell y'all that this park was built for the fans, and I mean all fans. The fats cat VIPs and the folks in the upper corners.
We parked at lot 43, across I75. I think it was one of the furthest walks. The stadium is on a pedestal, but it was a gradual incline and I never noticed it being difficult. My walk was 10 minutes. It was pleasant and enjoyable. Wide pedistrian bridge across interstate, then on the other side it was elevated over all surface streets that just so happens to be on the same level as the stadium. We walked right up to statues of Phil Nekro and Bobby Cox. We continued down pedestrians only street towards The Battery instead of going in right there at home plate. Down on the right is a brand new Coca Cola Roxy Theatre, which is an Atlanta Icon that was bought out of Buckhead 10 years ago, I'm glad to see it back. I can't wait to see concerts there. Next we rounded outfield corner to the battery. The battery is still under construction, but there are restaurants open, a Terripan Brewery, a open grassy area with a permanent stage. We enjoyed some professional dancers going in and received free TI concert on the way out. They're building another Atlanta Icon, the Omni Hotel in the out field. The rooms that face the field have large balconies for big group. Also the rooms that face the grassy area also have balconies. While we were there it felt like we we're already in the stadium.
When we went in I was blown away. There is not a bad seat in the house. Every seat is facing home plate, which was not the case at Turner because of Olympic roots. The seats were closer to the field. They have a neat brick wall in the outfield that will produce interesting plays. There is a big giant Atlanta A in the outfield. I guess it's not a giant glove so poo poo on that I guess. The seats are this mesh trampoline material. They are really comfortable. Wide isles and rows, we had plenty of room. When you explore the venue they have great places for kids, zip line, skee ball, whak a mole. You can rent a Mizzuno glove for free. Then they have all kinds of neat things for private parties, like the Home Depot Clubhouse, of below the chop, which is outfield level behind the fence. I went in this one convenience store. They had craft beer, cokes, candy, peanuts, all kinds of food. You just grab what you want and go to register and pay. Wifi was great! Everything was great! I highly recommend.

I've been to SF Giants park a dozen times..

Apr 18, 2017, 10:32 AM

I dont have a strong opinion on your writing, but I couldn't help but laugh at your not loking the Atl outfield because of ads but really enjoying that huge coke bottle and glove catching it in San Fran.
But you're right, Camden Yards and St Louis park are awesome.. same with Pittsburgh and the Rockies.
Oakland and San Diego are alright.
For my money, I'm sticking with The Joe and catching a Riverdogs game.

null

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic