Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Tigers survive crazy night in Winston-Salem
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 4,542

New Story: Tigers survive crazy night in Winston-Salem

Nov 6, 2014, 11:06 PM

Tigers survive crazy night in Winston-Salem

Some of the numbers from Thursday night’s game don’t quite tell the story.

Clemson’s offense got late touchdowns from both Artavis Scott and Wayne Gallman and Clemson overcame a fourth quarter tie in beating Wake Forest 34-20 at BB&T Field Thursday night.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Tigers survive crazy night in Winston-Salem

Nov 6, 2014, 11:13 PM

I didn't see the first half, however, I started looking for Ron Cherry in the second half. Officiating was terrible. Getting called for targeting was so bad. Just not good officiating.

Nov 6, 2014, 11:33 PM

Amen to that. The officials had a chance to overturn the awful "targeting" call vs. Smith, but they ended up getting it wrong again. The officiating was abysmal on a number of levels.

Nov 7, 2014, 9:15 AM

I truly hope that the first thing Dabo does Friday morning is call the ACC office and have the targeting call reviewed. Like others, it seemed like a Ron Cherry crew.calling the game. Worst officiating doesn't even begin to describe it. Another amazing fact noticed. 1st and goal at the 2, here comes shotgun formation. 1st and 10 from our 1 foot line and.Cole under center. QB sneak for 3 yards. Chad, you paying attention? Evidently not. Amazing play calling.

After the BS Target Call....

Nov 7, 2014, 9:58 AM

Did anyone noticed that the number of flags decreased dramatically?

Nov 7, 2014, 12:36 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Tigers survive crazy night in Winston-Salem ]

chad sorris has got to go. New Mexico state or something. We should be 7&1. Thanks CS.

My least favorite part of that article . . .

Nov 6, 2014, 11:17 PM

was the line that said "Clemson plays Georgia Tech on Saturday" . . . Ouch.

i kinda think we was looking ahead to that game just a tad,

Nov 6, 2014, 11:23 PM

anyway. i know we say we play to a standard,not an opponent, but this game was below any standards that we would set for our team.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I disagree with the look-ahead.

Nov 7, 2014, 12:07 AM

Other than a couple of turn overs, the team played very well. Cole had his best game of the year, and the defense was lights out all night. If the officials hadn't kept Wake in the game, this would have been a blow-out!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I disagree with the look-ahead.

Nov 7, 2014, 1:32 AM

Can't blame the officials. Offense was horrible as usual and let wake hang around. Artavis is a special player and cole should be happy that his last start of the season Scott bailed him out. Cole stares down rec

Nov 7, 2014, 7:23 AM

I get frustrated myself with The offense but they did score 34.. it waa Scott that fumbled a pitch that was a sure TD not Cole. It was Humphries who miss played a punt & gave the touchdown. It was Humphries who let another punt go behind him that went to the 1 yard line. Cole had mistakes but he also had some good plays as well. The officials were pathetic!

Nov 7, 2014, 9:31 AM [ in reply to Re: I disagree with the look-ahead. ]

OK, so you are completely fine with Smith being out in the next game a while? Cause that was completely not a shoulder in the chest? right? And he next call was completely pass interference? Can't blame the refs, huh? That was completely one sided.

Nov 7, 2014, 9:58 AM

And the late hit on CS out of bounds that was a no call

Nov 7, 2014, 12:45 PM [ in reply to I disagree with the look-ahead. ]

I was there and I guess I've gotten old and confused. I thought I saw throws into coverage and he must have a side job with Western Union with all the telegraphing. How about a little coaching up already.

Nov 7, 2014, 12:16 AM

Aside from whatever voodoo is on the Tigers in Winston Salem, 80% of their problems is blocking. And, boy, do I hate ACC referee's!! They call football games like their basketball games. Inconsistent, tittsy, and favorable toward any team from the state of NC.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2014, 12:56 AM

I have been a Clemson fan for 60 years and some of the hardest battles we have had has come from Wake Forest, NC State and Duke. This is just another one of those kind of games. I was shocked that they got our defense kind of off balance like they did in their first drive and touchdown. Still when it counted the defense pulled it through. The offense got it done when we needed it most. Way to go Scott and Gallman. Cole thank you for being there when we needed you.

Go Tigers!!!!!

Nov 7, 2014, 1:24 AM

Let's face it. Cole can't get it done. He looked worse than a true freshman out there tonight. Overthrowing open receivers and staring down others. Artavis made him look good by scoring on yet another pass within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. Cole has been great for the program but he can't win and he looks worse every week. I would've rather seen Nick in the 4th qtr. cole looked shaky at best

Nov 7, 2014, 1:30 AM

I'm over Dabo protecting cole. A win is a win. I agree. But we should never let teams that have so much less talent than we do compete with us in the 4th qtr. I don't think the offense believes cole and his side arm can get the job done. Great kid, but confidence or whatever it is he is shook and doesn't look like a guy who can command the offense and win games against mediocre opponents. It is what it is. Deshaun will have his own struggles. But he is much more accurate and controlled than stoudt is.

Nov 7, 2014, 7:40 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Tigers survive crazy night in Winston-Salem ]

I'm with you. I am shocked to see people saying that Cole played well. Did we watch the same game? It's just sad how he has regressed every game. From the 2nd qtr on, I was hoping to see Nick get his chance. I mean, seriously, a high school qb could do what is being asked of Cole, why not try someone new? Who knows, kid could be a gamer. All we know for sure is that Cole is not a D1 qb, and it's not even debatable.

Nov 7, 2014, 8:24 AM

I agree, Cole missed another wide open tight end in the redzone. I think a 10yr old could have made that throw. He is a college quarterback and can't throw the ball 10 yds. Also I heard Dabo say that Watson would play if the game was on the line, then you read where Morris sayed that they never intended to play Watson. So who is telling the lie, Dabo or Morris?

You people are morons...

Nov 7, 2014, 8:26 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Tigers survive crazy night in Winston-Salem ]

Sure, I yelled at the TV on Cole's multiple futile attempts to hit Leggett, but he hit some really good passes in the game and Wake's DBs had really good coverage on multiple deep balls including non-called PI. Cole played his best game of the season outside of the first half of the UGA game. He hit most of his passes on target, only made one mistake in the interception, made timely runs, and led us to a 14 point win on the road on a Thursday night in a game marred with mistakes not his own.

Critical mistakes/bad calls we overcame:
Interception on our end of the field
Muffed punt inside the 10
Questionable pass interference calls
Bogus hands to the face call
Humphries allowing a punt to roll to the 1
Right guard pulling on a zone read to the right
Scott trying to catch a pitch with one hand without even looking at the ball

Aside from a couple easy throws and the interception, Cole played a pretty good game. He isn't going to make every throw, but no one is - that's why 65% completion is considered good (and Cole was 64.2% for the night...).

Re: You people are morons...

Nov 7, 2014, 8:53 AM

Bottom line is Cole got it done. He's been playing banged up and it was more evident last night but he is a warrior no doubt. He's not better than Deshaun but he's what we've got until DW is ready. It was obvious DW wasn't coming into that game wearing a splint on the sideline.

Cole was certainly inconsistent but made some pretty good throws and again --he got the W. We'll all be better off when #4 takes the field but Cole did not have a disastrous night by any measure and the fan base has got to support him especially when there is no other option.

Nov 7, 2014, 9:00 AM

Until it's proven to me that Nick isn't an option, I'll have to disagree with you. Cole is like a deer in headlights at the first sign of pressure. Literally the only thing we ask him to do is throw a WR bubble screen to Scott or a 5 yard hitch route where we're literally all on our hands and knees hoping it doesn't get intercepted (as it did in the 1st qtr).

Are you telling me that we have another guy on scholarship that can only do those things, and nothing more? Give him a chance! The worst he can do is exactly what Cole would have done. I just don't see what we have to lose.

Nov 7, 2014, 10:10 AM [ in reply to Re: You people are morons... ]

If there is no other option, the coaches need to stop broadcasting that there is. It just frustrates everyone. I'm glad we won and I'm glad Cole was available and tough enough to get the win. The coaches are needlessly causing all of this Tnet chatter with their meaningless pregame commentary!

Nov 7, 2014, 12:46 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Tigers survive crazy night in Winston-Salem ]

right on

Robert Smith's great hit

Nov 7, 2014, 9:21 AM

what a great hit. that is what a defensive back is supposed to do. he even made a conscience effort to get his head out of the hit.
6 - 7 years ago before liberal government and media stuck their noses into football, that would have been the kind of hit that makes everyone enjoy football.
football fans should be seriously pissed off if this is not overturned in and appeal!

Re: Robert Smith's great hit

Nov 7, 2014, 10:15 AM

Love the political connection!

Nov 7, 2014, 10:14 AM

This game looked like a highlight reel of past terrible plays. The roll-out right incomplete pass that should have been a TD (wasn't that the same play and result against FSU?). The fumbled pitch when also running to the right. Some dropped balls.

The near-completions downfield are frustrating. Watson has showed that he can hit those. I hope Watson picks up where he left off because GT will score on us. We are going to have to outscore them. We need to get long balls to No. 7. Gallman looking good.

The placement of the cameras must be in an unusual location at the WF Stadium. Not sure what it was, but something seemed different - like everyone was moving slow or something.

Replies: 27
| visibility 4,542
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic