Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
mundy afternoon tiger football talk
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 538

mundy afternoon tiger football talk

Jan 4, 2021, 3:23 PM

Ooof. Tigers got smacked around. All phases. OSU left no doubt lol.

Offense couldn't seem to ever get settled and into a rhythm. Certainly it's been covered, but our O-line had a tough night. The absence of a J-Ross/Mike Williams type also exposed us in a way. God bless Cornell Powell, but he's Cornell. Great season for him but me tinks he's performed at his peak potential.

On the bright side of offense, I don't think we threw a single bubble screen. Not sure that a missing Tony E really mattered or not but I can say that I grew frustrated late in Q2. We were down 21 and simply could not stop the Buckeyes. I was clamoring for Dabo/Streeter to abandon the normal gameplan, go to 5 WRs, and let TL just start spraying the ball around. We didn't and I still contend we should have. The 'ole read option wasn't working and was never going to work, at least as it relates to getting back into (quozzel font) THAT game. Throw the ball. A lot. Lengthen the game by stopping the clock, and hope like heck we can stop 'em.

As for the D? Good grief. We did not give them the D. First time I can recall Brent V getting outcoached to the point he couldn't figure anything out. We certainly missed Nolan T and DK had an absolutely horrific game. How on earth we are running around with Charleston, Zanders, and little Tyler V the coaches kid...makes me wonder why we seem to lack so much depth everywhere on D not counting the D-Line. The D-Line was ok but OSU more than held their own.

Credit to OSU. Sermon got trucking and we couldn't seem to do anything other than hit him and drag him down a few yards later. Reminded me of D Henry in AZ in 2015. Fields was VERY sharp and accurate, and my hat is off to him for his performance. I'd have to go look at the tape (and I ain't gonna) to even attempt to figure out why on earth that one joker kept getting like 15 yards behind our safety. Gotta think it was a combo of individual mistakes and poor defensive play calling. And by poor, I'm talking about perhaps BV guessing incorrectly and overcommitting to certain principles.

We also never could seem to create momentum with a pick 6, scoop 6, sack/fumble, or the like....and that's been seemingly a staple for BV's group over the last several years.

Skalski hit was classic targeting. Zero debate about that. Leading with the crown of the head ain't been acceptable in 30 years now. Pick ya head up big fellar.

Outlook on the program post game? LOL. Relax. We lost. It happens. It will happen again. It's sport. There is a reason the games have to be played and are not decided on paper. Program is solid, recruiting is good, our fanbase is mental. We are still squarely in the golden shower years of tiger football. Don't lose site of it. The end.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You raise some good points, however,

Jan 4, 2021, 3:27 PM

these kids love each other.....lotta love on that team. 51 wins. First seniors to average above a 3.0. Brand new astroturf on the puttputt course. IPTAY approval for some new teflon on the slide. These guys took a difficult time and transformed it into pure joy with love.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you want him to say they are all Champions

Jan 4, 2021, 3:30 PM

of Life?

In heaven we are all champions, and you know how we got

Jan 4, 2021, 3:31 PM

there? love.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Looks like you got your wish by the way

Jan 4, 2021, 3:36 PM

TE didn't get to call any of the plays.

I hope you liked it.

Solid take. Dabo is a goofy bastid.

Jan 4, 2021, 3:32 PM [ in reply to You raise some good points, however, ]

But he's OUR goofy bastid. And he's right. We just went to the final 4. Again. That's a great season.

Kind regards,
Tommy Bowden
Tommy West
Ken Hatfield
About 300 other D1 teams
And all the miserable fugging tigershat I've endured over the past 4-5 decades.

My only question

Jan 4, 2021, 3:29 PM

When will Brent Venables figure out how to defend passes to a TE. Holy ####, every big loss over the last 5 years has been a break-out game for "insert TE name here." Yeah, Olave had a big game, but that TE and his 2 TD's was the back-breaker.

And it wasn't because Skalski got ejected (I also agreed 100% that it was targeting, unlike 3/4 of the twitterverse). I've always thought Skalski was a run stopper, never really a cover guy (I'm willing to be wrong, but it's water under the bridge at this point).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_majors_champ.jpg2008_nascar_champ.gif2015_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When we drink, we get drunk.
When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!

GREAT question! I'm thinking that gets addressed in

Jan 4, 2021, 3:34 PM

parallel with our offense using our own TEs.

I still say Ben Hall would have been one of our best ever

Jan 4, 2021, 3:35 PM

if Tommy had remembered he was on the team.

Man it seems like we keep getting these big

Jan 4, 2021, 3:38 PM

yumungous guys that can run. Highly rated guys. Then they all end up 3rd string and we don't throw to 'em.

Take Milan Richards. Maybe the biggest eye test passing specimen I've seen. He didn't do squat. Galloway has been there for like 9 years, SHOULDN'T HE HAVE BEEN AN IMPACT PLAYER THIS YEAR?

Yup, and on the surface it doesn't feel like they're that

Jan 4, 2021, 4:09 PM

much of a drop-off from Leggett, but we don't win the Natty without targeting him, and we all but ignore them. Was that just Scott's influence in the offense?

No idea, but I'll tread lightly when I say that Leggett

Jan 4, 2021, 4:45 PM

wasn't THAT good. I mean, I'll NEVER forget the fanger tip ###### (lol) he made on the winning 2016 drive while spinning 'round. But like, physically he wasn't superior to these other cats.

Mebbe Scott? Dunno. Plausible though.

Leggett was really more of a receiver that couldn't run with

Jan 4, 2021, 5:11 PM

DBs. Davis Allen will finish his career at Clemson as a fine tight end, he's a very good route runner. Jaelyn Lay has everything on paper to be a great one, but I don't know if he's even been targeted once this year. A 6'6" 270 pound guy that can run and catch should be a mismatch against any defense in the Americas and possibly Europe, and definitely Asia.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A tight bend is a match up nightmare for 99% of defenses.

Jan 4, 2021, 3:43 PM [ in reply to My only question ]

And decent tight ends that can run, block, and catch are at a premium. That's why Dabo always wants one, and why we struggle on offense when we don't have one that can run routes and catch the ball.

End, not bend.

Jan 4, 2021, 3:45 PM

Sheesh, going back to work now. I should know better than to try and Tnet on Catch Up From Vacation Day.

we did run at least 1 bubble screen

Jan 4, 2021, 3:52 PM

so maybe Dabo is calling that play

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

It was a Make-A-Wish play call from some kid in the stands

Jan 4, 2021, 3:57 PM

named Rob Spence.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice synopsis for a ............

Jan 4, 2021, 4:05 PM

Messican who thinks kick futbol is the real thing. ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You forgot two points

Jan 4, 2021, 4:12 PM

The O-line was horrible and the whole Defense was wearing lead boots and out of position all night.

still shaking my head over that mess of a game.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Replies: 18
| visibility 538
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic