Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My biggest concern: M. Alexander wasn't able to get ready
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1,715

My biggest concern: M. Alexander wasn't able to get ready

Aug 26, 2013, 10:03 AM

I know we're finally healthy at corner and 4 deep. But none of these guys give me complete confidence on not getting beat deep on the play action pass. It's UGA's bread and butter and with Gurshall hitting the outside on occasion, the CBs will be creeping up. Also, Murray's specialty is the back shoulder pass. I just really wish Mackensie Alexander could've taken significant practice to get on the field this Saturday.

Someone tell me this won't be another chapter of the Clemson corners getting burned deep.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

idk, they probably will. georgia brings perhaps the best

Aug 26, 2013, 10:06 AM

offense clemson has seen in many years.

the corners, entire d & team for that matter need to have short-term memories. clemson will give up points. i don't doubt that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: idk, they probably will. georgia brings perhaps the best

Aug 26, 2013, 12:26 PM

Exactly right. As much as we'd love this to be a "coming out party" for the defense, it's not likely to happen against this UGA offense. One of the most important things they need to do--which you alluded to--is recover. UGA will score, but how our defense reacts to that could be the difference in this game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it could just be the start of a new donnell woolford era,

Aug 26, 2013, 10:07 AM

m.a. just taking a little longer to get rolling than what we'd hoped!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a very legitimate concern, and one which I share.

Nov 7, 2020, 5:14 PM

Our corners have not been very good the past few years, so there is no reason to believe that they will miraculously be good this year. I'm hoping that they have somehow gotten better over the summer, that the light has come on, and that a new secondary coach has made a difference. I'm hopeful, but have no reason to feel confident.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: It's a very legitimate concern, and one which I share.

Aug 26, 2013, 10:31 AM

Without question Alexander is a big time player and will make his mark at Clemson sooner than later. With that said, Clemson is not one of those teams that will depend on a kid just out of high school to come in and win games for them. Some depth has been acquired in the last few years and I am sure these guys are being coached up. I am sure that the new secondary coach will bring a new approach to the game and with the healing of some guys in the off season the db situation will be better. Remember that the pass rush is what is important and I believe the players are in place to provide that. GO TIGERS

Not entirely true:

Aug 26, 2013, 10:48 AM

Exhibit A: Sammy Watkins

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Defense, needs to step up, plain and simple

Aug 26, 2013, 11:00 AM

We won't win this game unless they play well. Georgia's offense is just too good and too balanced.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not entirely true:

Aug 26, 2013, 11:25 AM [ in reply to Not entirely true: ]

As a freshman Sammy certainly was the player but Clemson would have been o.k. without him. Look what Nuke did in his absence last year. But, I agree with you that occasionally a player like Sammy comes along who makes everything and everyone better. Alexander MAY be that kind of player on defense. We will know quickly I believe. For what it's worth, you may see the Williams kid work his way into the lineup very quickly. He has impressed me more than any of the new guys.... but I am not a coach nor do I profess to be.

Re: Not entirely true:

Aug 26, 2013, 12:33 PM

Without Sammy in 2011, we absolutely do NOT start out 8-0 and are probably not in the ACC championship game.

We absolutely needed him in 2011. Nuk in 2012 was much better than Nuk in 2011. I think Nuk needed to be outplayed by someone for him to work hard enough to truly realize his potential. It's amazing what healthy competition can do for a player or team.

you'd be surprised at how far a little safety help can go***

Aug 26, 2013, 11:21 AM [ in reply to It's a very legitimate concern, and one which I share. ]

Re: you'd be surprised at how far a little safety help can go***

Aug 26, 2013, 11:27 AM

You'd be surprised how poorly Murray will pass the ball if he is laying on his ####! Go DE's!!!

^^ Fact.***

Aug 26, 2013, 11:28 AM

That's true, as well as a better pass rush. I just have

Aug 26, 2013, 12:23 PM [ in reply to you'd be surprised at how far a little safety help can go*** ]

visions of our CBs running right with receivers with the ball still in the air and never, ever turning around to look for the ball. It happened over and over and over the past few years, and I'm sure they were coached repeatedly on that. Here's to hoping they have overcome that, or it will be trouble (again) even with a better rush and improved safeties.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: My biggest concern: M. Alexander wasn't able to get ready

Aug 26, 2013, 10:46 AM

I totally agree with the concern for our secondary. Watching practice videos makes one nervous quickly. However, it's good to stop having to talk about our OLine and protection for Boyd.

The positive in watching the practice videos is that maybe UGA's secondary will have as many issues hanging with our WR's as our secondary does. Let's hope our WR's are that good, and our secondary isn't really all that bad against NORMAL WR's. :)

Practice videos are hard to judge because there's no DL

Aug 26, 2013, 12:27 PM

Thus the QB has all day to wait and throw the ball. That being said a few of our corners have gotten their pants handed to them, Robinson especially, but Jenkins and Breeland looked good as do Wiggins, Kearse(before he got hurt), and Tankersly(as the practices went on). We've got the bodies and the talent but a lot of it is young.

A lot rides on trusting Venables to compensate...

Aug 26, 2013, 11:13 AM

...for the weakest parts of the D. Pressure and reducing Murray's chances for taking advantage of receivers beating our backs/secondary is just one way.

But I've also read a number of opinions from those who have watched training and practices throughout who say this D is returning to being more physical. Something we USED to take for granted. If true, then perhaps we will see more control at the line at the very least. But maybe it will lead to some in your face CBs who get beat out less. Speed is a factor, too, though with our secondary and UGA. We'll see who wins out on that factor.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1,715
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic