Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Most disappointing close game at Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 80
| visibility 1

Most disappointing close game at Clemson

Oct 25, 2017, 1:45 PM

Mine was Clemson vs BC 2007. Winner goes to the acc championship. Aaron Kelly dropped a TD to win it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2013 USuC game. We turned the ball over 5 times

Oct 25, 2017, 1:47 PM

and the game was still close.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: 2013 USuC game. We turned the ball over 5 times

Oct 25, 2017, 3:03 PM

AT clemson..

No, it was in columbia. Even years are at home.

Oct 25, 2017, 3:12 PM

2012 was nearly just as bad. We simply stopped running the football that year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

6 TOs***

Oct 25, 2017, 8:03 PM [ in reply to 2013 USuC game. We turned the ball over 5 times ]

When was the ACCCG at Clemson?***

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: When was the ACCCG at Clemson?***

Oct 25, 2017, 1:52 PM

Can you read??

yea, your momma taught me

Oct 25, 2017, 5:48 PM

among other things

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

You driving Cmoney to the hospital?

Oct 26, 2017, 3:03 AM

Cuz you just gave him a 3rd degree burn.

Oh.

Snap.

~JKB

Re: Most disappointing close game at Clemson

BC was up there. FSU in '99 and Miami in '05 also come to mind.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2007 CU-BC was in the valley***

Oct 25, 2017, 2:15 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: 2007 CU-BC was in the valley***

Oct 25, 2017, 2:24 PM

I think he is saying up there on his list lol.

Re: 2007 CU-BC was in the valley***

Oct 25, 2017, 3:04 PM

i know... wow..(smh)

Was miami 05 the 2OT game?

Oct 25, 2017, 7:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Most disappointing close game at Clemson ]

I was thinking of that one.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

October 28th 2000 #5 Clemson vs GT

Oct 25, 2017, 1:49 PM

Last second TD pass to Kelly Campbell to put GT ahead 31 -28

Is that the one where all we had to do to win was get a

Oct 25, 2017, 2:04 PM

punt off - about 30 seconds earlier - and we mishandled the snap, giving them the ball at about the 30?

Re: Is that the one where all we had to do to win was get a

Oct 25, 2017, 2:07 PM

That was 2004

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Re: October 28th 2000 #5 Clemson vs GT

Oct 25, 2017, 3:14 PM [ in reply to October 28th 2000 #5 Clemson vs GT ]

Watkins or Campbell? ######!!

Oct 25, 2017, 1:53 PM

Pitt game last year was pretty heartbreaking but getting home and watching Iowa kick a field goal to win and USC walk over Washington made it better.

Miami OT game***

Oct 25, 2017, 1:54 PM

Oct 25, 2017, 1:56 PM

Before I clicked on the post, this was my game. BC, 2007. I've told this tale a few times...but I was in the student section that year. Matty Ice landed that pass right in front of me.

I looked at my crew and said "let's go before ESPN gets my sad face."

We immediately turned and walked towards the gate, which is like 100 feet away. I got a call BEFOFE we got through the gate to leave from a friend:

"I just saw you on ESPN. You did not look happy."

Ugh. That game is only second to the WVU Orange Bowl for all time worst losses, which wasn't a home game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2017, 2:41 PM

We had the chance to win it too. That game could have got us going for the next few years but it has turned out pretty good.

Oct 25, 2017, 3:23 PM

It's funny. That play, in my humble opinion, was a huge turning point. Winning the ACC that year could have completely changed the way things went.

I am also happy with the way it worked out in the long run, and perhaps wouldn't change it in hindsight.

But man it sucked at the time. Bad.

CmoneyTiger

Oct 25, 2017, 3:25 PM

If we would have went on to win the ACC Tommy may have had 5 more years. Everything happens for a reason is what they say but dang we should have won that game.

Cool story, but

Oct 25, 2017, 4:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Most disappointing close game at Clemson ]

Matty Ice threw the td pass in the west end zone. I was sitting in that corner (south side corner), and saw the guy running wide open before Ryan even threw the ball. Was like slow motion. As I recall the corner slipped or fell down and couldn't recover.

Still should've won the game if Aaron Kelly could have caught the pass that hit him in the hands at the goal line on the following drive. (that play was on the hill side)

If Kelly catches that pass, Bowden might have won a division

Oct 25, 2017, 7:19 PM

and we might not have Dabo as our head coach. Thank goodness he dropped it

Touche.

Oct 26, 2017, 9:30 AM

Crazy to think about how winning that game would have affected the last 10 years. In hindsight, It's much easier to accept the result!

I was sitting in the south side corner too with my brother.

Oct 25, 2017, 11:47 PM [ in reply to Cool story, but ]

It seems like I remember Ryan being flushed out of the pocket before he could pass and thinking that's the ball game but some how Ryan rolled out and got that pass off and like you said it was slow motion and it seemed like their receiver caught that ball right in front of my face.After the game I remember how quiet everyone was at they left the stadium and thinking to myself "are we ever going to get out of this cycle of coming up short?".I think things worked out for the best though in the long run.

Re: I was sitting in the south side corner too with my brother.

Oct 26, 2017, 9:33 AM

He rolled out to the right but turned and threw all the way back across the field to the left. The ball seemed to hang in the air forever, but we still had no one even close.

Thank God we got out of that cycle of coming up short!

Re: Cool story, but

Oct 26, 2017, 12:48 AM [ in reply to Cool story, but ]

I was sitting in the south side corner too with my brother.It seems like I remember Ryan being flushed out of the pocket before he could pass and thinking that's the ball game but some how Ryan rolled out and got that pass off and like you said it was slow motion and it seemed like their receiver caught that ball right in front of my face.After the game I remember how quiet everyone was as they left the stadium and thinking to myself "are we ever going to get out of this cycle of coming up short?".I think things worked out for the best though in the long run.

1988 FSU; MIA-2005; NCSU (with Tracey Perry stopped after...

Oct 25, 2017, 1:59 PM

4 attempts from 1 yard line--maybe 1979??

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, that was '79

Oct 25, 2017, 2:20 PM

I think Billy Lott has a very long run to get us down to the one, and four plays later we'd turned it over on downs...

null

GT game where we snapped it over the punters head

Oct 25, 2017, 2:02 PM

What a horrible way to lose.

I was thinking that too. we had a 17 pt. lead w/7 mins left

Oct 25, 2017, 2:31 PM

in the 4th qtr and blew it. quick 3 and outs and then to boot the snapping the ball over his head to set up the winner to MEgatron over Justin miller. I still remember screaming at the top of my lungs when the snapper screwed up.It was one of those learning moments teaching me not to get so bent out of shape about clemson games. I've since toned it down... at least in public.

Re: I was thinking that too. we had a 17 pt. lead w/7 mins left

Oct 25, 2017, 3:09 PM

same here.. not to be picky, but it didn't go over the punters head.. it skipped by him.. but, anyway.. as soon as it happened.. i jumped into the isle and yelled F-*-@-k!!!!!!!!!!!!.. at the top of my lungs.. i was embarrassed.. and, i've learned to tone it down in public.. now, at in my own home... different story.

To this day, I have a rule. No game is safe unless you have

Oct 25, 2017, 7:27 PM [ in reply to I was thinking that too. we had a 17 pt. lead w/7 mins left ]

more than a 10 point lead and less than 3 minutes. We were up by 10 with three minutes left. Terrible loss

Re: To this day, I have a rule. No game is safe unless you have

Oct 25, 2017, 8:57 PM

I don't relax unless we're up by 28.

Reggie, Reggie, Reggie

Oct 25, 2017, 2:09 PM

We were on the verge of making one of the greatest comebacks in Clemson-SCar history, and Bowden whiffed. Horrible, just horrible.

Honorable mention goes to the GT game that we lost in the final seconds...someone mentioned it above. I wasn't at that game so it's not my top one, but I do remember it ripping my heart out as I watched on TV.

Re: Reggie, Reggie, Reggie

Oct 25, 2017, 2:12 PM

This is my #2. I'm still mad.

Yeah, I said it.

Re: Reggie, Reggie, Reggie

Oct 25, 2017, 3:17 PM

Man that game stunk. I'm still mad too.

Oh it was definitely #2........................***

Oct 25, 2017, 6:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Reggie, Reggie, Reggie ]

Not sure I'd call that one a drop. Catchable ball, but

Oct 25, 2017, 2:10 PM

would've been a helluva grab.

TL4Heisman

Re: Not sure I'd call that one a drop. Catchable ball, but

Oct 25, 2017, 2:50 PM

Hit him in the arms. Would have been a good catch but should have been a good catch.

Re: Not sure I'd call that one a drop. Catchable ball, but

Oct 25, 2017, 3:16 PM

agree re BC - tough catch but it had to be made

and why BC's receiver was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WIDE OPEN (obviously blown coverage)

Oct 25, 2017, 2:13 PM

Punkrooskie and not even close.

GT meltdown in the last 2 minutes was pretty bad.

Oct 25, 2017, 3:15 PM

FSU Puntrooksie still suxs to this day on an illegal play no less

Oct 25, 2017, 3:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Most disappointing close game at Clemson ]

Definitely punteooskie. From the student section you could not rally tell what was going on. Walls dropped a sure interception right before the play. Boston College second. Was sitting at the 10 on that side when we saw the receiver break and the safety bite in. He thought Ryan had crossed to run. No way it’s complete if he stayed home.

Agree....been a lot of 'em over the decades, but those 2

Oct 25, 2017, 9:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Most disappointing close game at Clemson ]

games stand out in my memory.....Puntrooskie cuz I THOUGHT we were gonna win, Calvin Johnson (MF) cuz I THOUGHT we had won.....

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dan Devine-Joe Montana

Oct 25, 2017, 3:06 PM

Montana game winning drive was heartbreaker; followed by PuntRooskie; BC-Matt Ryan; Miami.

Re: Dan Devine-Joe Montana

Oct 26, 2017, 2:41 AM

I was at that game (I still have the program). Cried my eyes out afterward but I wouldn't change a thing about that game.It had a Rocky /Apollo Creed feel to it and the Tigers showed the whole college football world that Clemson was coming!

Miami 2005, closely followed by BC 2007

Oct 25, 2017, 3:07 PM

Miami was one of the loudest times I can remember Death Valley and I went home with a sore throat and no voice. I remember seeing the older crowd stomping on bleachers and yelling (not that they aren't loud normally it was just different for this game).

Oct 25, 2017, 3:22 PM

1984 in Death Valley vs South Carolina - Tigers are up 21-3 at the half, but we never score again and lose 22-21. Lucky Gamecocks missed the extra point off the final td, but a bs call gave them a second chance. So pissed, I picked up a huge dead tree and broke it in half. Don't think I've ever really gotten over it.

Oct 25, 2017, 10:36 PM

Was thinking that too. 85 Maryland comes to mind also. We so got screwed in that one.

Oct 25, 2017, 3:24 PM

at clemson that i witnessed:

GT '04
FSU '88
BC '07

Oct 25, 2017, 3:30 PM

Yep, GT '04 and BC '07. Brutal!

Oct 25, 2017, 3:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Most disappointing close game at Clemson ]

That GT game does not seem that long ago. Crazy to think we ran and passed for over 200 and took an L.

Punt-rooskie...no question

Oct 25, 2017, 3:30 PM

Funny side-story...before the game the crowd was throwing a foam football around and it came to me. I overthrew it over the fence at the bottom of the hill so I ran down the to retrieve it...only to slip at the flat part, bounce across said flat part on my rear...and hop up to complete the retrieval. Glad it didn't end up on TV (probably too early for the broadcast anyway).

Regardless...great game, until the end. That sucked.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From loudest to most quiet stadium very suddenly

Oct 25, 2017, 7:24 PM

Totally stunned. That really sucked. I went to the rematch in Tally in 1989. First part of that game we were on fire.

That GT game in 2004

Oct 25, 2017, 3:44 PM

I remember we had the ball at the end of the game and got it to 2nd and 1. If we had gotten a first down we could've just run out the clock so my Dad and I headed out to get a head start on the traffic.

We were walking out of the stadium and heading through the parking lot when we heard a roar from inside Death Valley. We quickly realized it was the GT fans that were roaring. Dad was like "Oh ####, what happened?!" and we ran over to a tailgater watching the game and we watched us lose from the parking lot, just stunned.

Re: That GT game in 2004

Oct 25, 2017, 3:51 PM

You know of course you are to blame for the loss ??

2006 (?) against SCar where Bowden

Oct 25, 2017, 4:21 PM

took Reggie out.

2004 GT game. The guy sitting beside me destroyed his stadium seat that night.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Oct 25, 2017, 4:27 PM

FSU in '88 and the NC State game in the 80's(forget year) where the out scored us 28-0 in the first half and we came back but lost by 3. I was so disappointed but proud we came back, the valley rocked in the second half.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Oct 25, 2017, 6:26 PM

Puntrookie! Where others, but that one still hurts!

Reggie! Reggie! Reggie! Reggie!

Oct 25, 2017, 6:26 PM

Talk about grasping defeat from the jaws of victory...............

all the close losses to GT over the years***

Oct 25, 2017, 6:47 PM

The GT game where they won with jump ball to megatron

Oct 25, 2017, 7:30 PM

in the EZ with like 5 sec left. Prior to that series, all we needed to do was 1 thing right..get a first down (fail), get the punt off (fail, fumbled and kicked out the back of EZ), then just make a stop in any of the following series.

We had them beat, and Ill never forget GT QB reggie ball saying "we always knew we would win"..BS!!!

Oct 25, 2017, 7:58 PM

Pitt

Oct 25, 2017, 8:54 PM

1986 Clemson 21, USC 21
--very cold night game, and all for nothing!!

Oct 25, 2017, 8:57 PM

Miami OT loss.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

mine was TCU at Clemson in '09

Oct 25, 2017, 8:58 PM

sat through 5+ hours of rain and multiple lightning delays... to lose.

Photobucket

Oct 25, 2017, 9:24 PM

Losing to the Coots in 2007 . That game was ours and we let it slip away with bad coaching and poor fundamentals .
Never like to lose to the Dirtpeckers, but that one was soul crushing .

DB23

I meant 2006

Oct 25, 2017, 9:26 PM

My apologies ...

DB23

Oct 25, 2017, 10:59 PM

Speaking of a GT
Long snapper had a bad play against GT.
Then Calvin Johnson finished it.

Oct 25, 2017, 11:07 PM

For me it was the FSU game in 2013(I think). Both teams ranked in the top five and we got embarrassed on national TV by the Jamis Winston led Seminoles. I was so excited for that game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers........Fight Big Cat

Oct 26, 2017, 5:53 AM

We got blown out in that ine , we're talking close losses in this particular thread .

DB23

ugh....reading the comments on this thread picked at some

Oct 25, 2017, 11:57 PM

scars....my top 3:

1) the "Reggie" game....respect all the things Tommy did for us, but he'll never live that one down...followed very closely by 2) the BC game in 2007...pretty sure i burned my "Finish the Job" shirt after that.... and 3) the OT loss against thug U....while that loss stung, man that's the loudest iv'e ever heard the valley....un-freaking-real

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#1 Puntrooskie, #2 NCST in 87

Oct 26, 2017, 12:15 AM

Still can't believe Bowden had the nads to pull that trick play from his 30 or whatever in a tie game late in the 4th...just unbelievable. We owned them in Tally next year though. The NCST game was just a depressing stunner. #7 undefeated Clemson down 30-0 at halftime to a 2-4 Pack team? ###!

1984 coots won 22-21 after leading 21-0.***

Oct 26, 2017, 12:44 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: 1984 coots won 22-21 after leading 21-0.***

Oct 26, 2017, 1:38 AM

A disappointing end to a season that had began with high expectations.Seems like I vaguely remember some talk that year that Clemson might be good enough to run the table and be the first team voted National Champions while on probation since Oklahoma in 74 (might never had happened anyway but everyone was so ticked about that 3rd year of probation you hoped the Tigers would go undefeated in the regular season just to stick it to everyone).It was also William Perry's last game and it was the end of a long home winning streak.I remember thinking though as bad as that loss was at least probation was over.We got SCAR back the next year although it went right to the end and Mike Hold was still scrambling at the end of that game (the guy was as slippery as an eel and tough to bring down!).The next day SCAR beat the Tigers in soccer at Riggs Field and knocked them out of the playoffs but Tiger fans where shouting "Shreveport" since we were going to the Independence Bowl.

Re: 1984 coots won 22-21 after leading 21-0.***

Oct 26, 2017, 5:56 AM

Where we got embarrassed by Lou Holtz and Minnesota .

DB23

FSU 1988***

Oct 26, 2017, 7:13 AM

Replies: 80
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic