Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Lawn Experts - need your advice!!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Lawn Experts - need your advice!!

Mar 7, 2016, 9:12 AM

Hopefully some of you guys on here are good at lawn maintenance as I obviously stink at it... My grass is being overtaken by some kind of clover-like weed and something that looks like algae (see attached pictures). This past fall I plug aerated the yard and planted new grass seed (Scotts Turfbuilder fescue) and while I've gotten a few sprigs of new grass most of what I have now is weed. Makes me wonder what was in those bags of Turfbuilder...

Anyway - I wanted to see if you guys with some lawn knowledge can tell me what that stuff is in the pictures and how best to deal with it. For further reference, I live in Shelby, NC so my climate is not much different than Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same crap

Mar 7, 2016, 9:23 AM

I have the same crap in a part of my lawn. I have tried the spray killer and other stuff...but it just keeps growing back. I am thinking of trying a lawn service to see if they can kill the stuff...if not, may go to turf. No mowing and when it fades just paint it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Looks like chickweek....

Mar 7, 2016, 9:24 AM

Annual winter weeds, like chickweed, germinate in the fall and winter and grow actively in spring. Home owners are often surprised how quickly these weeds can seemingly pop up overnight in their yards and gardens, being unaware that they may have been growing slowly all winter long which is why pre-emergent and post-emergent weed control applications throughout the year are so important.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Not sure about the algae looking stuff. The other looks

Mar 7, 2016, 9:24 AM

like "henbit". I would suggest a product containing Trimec, but make sure it says on label its safe for fescue lawns. If you can catch it before it comes out, a pre-emergent such as Atrazine works well. It's going to take a few applications to get rid of it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Sorry.. im burmuda. During winter I round up

Mar 7, 2016, 9:34 AM

All the weeds in my yard. Fescue is way to high maintenance for me.

A simple post emergent will work on the clovers. The algae type plant is going to be a bit harder. You can Try altering the ph to kill it off. Try sprinkling some lime on a spot.

I've also used iron successfully in the past.

They make post emergent for algae but I've never had any success wIth it.

Stuff would eventually just grow back in the same spot. The soil, nutrient, and weather conditions are ideal for algea in the location. You have to change one or the other to make it hostile for algae growth but still ok for Fescue.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

A year around lawn care program....

Mar 7, 2016, 9:38 AM

whether you hire it out or do it yourself is critically important particularly for high-maintenance grasses like fescue.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Any recommendations for someone local for lawn service?

Mar 7, 2016, 9:44 AM

Was hoping to find someone other than TruGreen, etc.

Weed Man, Top Turf and Greenleaf are reputable outfits.

Mar 7, 2016, 9:49 AM

I'd recommend calling and getting a quote from all three.

Thanks!***

Mar 7, 2016, 10:00 AM

What is local?

Mar 7, 2016, 10:12 AM [ in reply to Any recommendations for someone local for lawn service? ]

I was on the Scots program until I got to talking to a lawn guy.
He uses lesco.
I found the local lesco dealer and have been on lescos program ever since.

Scott has a 4 application cycle with a couple optional.

Lesco has like a 7 application cycle with a couple optional. I don't have the cycle in front of me, But there are at least 4 premerge applications.

As big keeps posting , the absolute best way to treat weeds is to not get them in the first place. Premerge is way more important than postmerge.

Premerge is your wall. .. your defense. You use post emergent sprays after creeping charlie as climbed over your wall and is in your perimeter. . All you are doing is calling in the napalm strike on your own peeps. That's no es bueno.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I use an 8-cyle program....

Mar 7, 2016, 10:23 AM

and like you said, if you're not using a pre-emergent, you're pretty much fighting an uphill battle.

Re: Lawn Experts - need your advice!!

Mar 7, 2016, 9:40 AM

We've got the same clover looking stuff growing in our yard in Charlotte/Concord area. We normally buy Penningtons grass seed, but Scotts had a deal on grass seed and fert combo at Lowe's, so we bought that instead. Our neighbor works for Lowe's and is going to dig some up and check with his vendor on it. I'll let you know what comes of it.

Needless to say we are never using Scotts again.

The seed/fertilizer you use isn't going to matter....

Mar 7, 2016, 9:46 AM

much unless your are also treating the yard at various times throughout the year with a pre-emergent and post-emergent weed control product.

Re: The seed/fertilizer you use isn't going to matter....

Mar 7, 2016, 10:23 AM

We treat our yard with lime 3 to 4x per year, weed control multiple times a year, and crab grass control in early spring. We've never had any major issues prior to using the Scotts seed. Well, except for our neighbors Bermuda creeping over into our yard (which is supposedly outlawed in our HOAs).

What do your neighbors yards look like?

Mar 7, 2016, 10:27 AM

If you are maintaining your lawn, including pre-emergent weeds controls, and you're still having problems, the wind may be bringing the weeds in from your neighbors yard especially if they are using straw to cover areas of new growth.

Re: What do your neighbors yards look like?

Mar 7, 2016, 10:37 AM

Our immediate neighbors do not take care of their lawns at all. I have no doubt we are receiving some of their mess.

We have a small hill in our backyard (maybe 15-20 sq ft patch) that was covered in Bermuda. We killed it off, dug it up as best we could, and reseeded with the Scotts. Now it is covered with the weeds mentioned in the OP. We also have these same weeds, though no where near as severe, throughout the yard. To me, it favors the chickweed someone else mentioned.

The weeds look like either Ground Ivy or Creeping.....

Mar 7, 2016, 9:58 AM

Buttercup. The other stuff is moss. I suspect that the moss indicates an area that is very shady so you will probably have trouble establishing healthy turf. There is a good chemical called Quicksilver that will zap it....probably available only at turf supply stores....but there are some commercial products that claim to kill it....don't know how they work. The others should be relatively easy with a selective weed killer with MSMA or 2-4D Ortho/Bayer, etc.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 7, 2016, 10:00 AM

My yard got to looking just like that, plus dandelions. I had to end up killing the entire weed lawn with round up. Till the whole yard with the shallowest setting on my tiller and replant with a good bermuda seed. After you cut your new grass the first time, put turf builder on your lawn twice a year. Buy you a weed puller, and after it rains go out and pull anything that isn't grass. Problem solved for me after 4 years of fighting weeds and dandelions. I forgot to mention the lime to keep acid in poor soil down. Weeds love acidity soil, they thrive in it. Send sample to Clemson, and they will tell you how much lime to put down by the size of your yard. A yard full of grass is hard to keep up... The best way to buy Round up is by the concentrated gallon for about a $110, It makes 85 gallons. Good luck!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With the moss, I suspect that his yard is way too shady for

Mar 7, 2016, 10:17 AM

Bermuda. If is too shady Fescue, like he has now will be hard to grow.

Re: With the moss, I suspect that his yard is way too shady for

Mar 7, 2016, 10:35 AM

To solve that problem, trim the bottom limbs up to about 8 to 10 feet from the grown so that some sun can get in sometime during the day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 7, 2016, 10:36 AM

Try herbicide called TriMec Southern.Gets most weeds not grass.

Too much shade is allowing the moss to grow. You can take

Mar 7, 2016, 10:46 AM

a stab at the moss by raising the pH of the soil with lime, but insufficient sun is the root cause. With the weeds just spray with weedbgone. When you do, add a little liquid dishwashing detergent to the mix. It will help wet out the weed leaf. The spray will just run off some weeds and accordingly not kill them. The soap will help wet them out and hopefully kill the buggers.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

preeemergent this fall, perhaps

Mar 7, 2016, 10:49 AM

looks like you've also got some poaoa(?) that can likely only be killed with preemergent.. most blooming now are probably early spring weeds that will disappear when the heat comes..you may be sufficiently north that you can still use a late winter/early spring preemergent..probly too late for that here..preemergent is the only way i can keep a relatively weed-free lawn.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Mar 7, 2016, 11:25 AM

simply go to your local NCST extension office and get your weeds ID'ed. then they will make you a control recommendation. believe the office in shelby is out near Cleveland Tech. ask for Daniel shires. Lots of well meaning folks here but their advice is not always accurate. for example, a post below says use "atrazine".. which will injure or kill your fescue. I'm a retired extension agent and your problem is pretty common and fairly easily resolved.. but get PROFESSIONAL ADVICE.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he is getting professional advice here....from you and me

Mar 7, 2016, 7:31 PM

but he probably can't distinguish the professional advice from wild guesses........therefore your advice regarding the extension agent is spot on! I've been "messing" with turf grass for more than 40 years....professionally. Advice is sometimes difficult to give unless you know all of the circumstances.....soil tests are always good!

Mar 7, 2016, 8:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Lawn Experts - need your advice!! ]

Thanks - and great advice. I took a sample of the weed to the Coop Extension and talked with Daniel. The weed is Carolina Geranium and he told me that Trimec will kill it (and most all my other weeds) without harming the grass. I picked up a soil sample kit while I was there and Daniel said he will help me with a lawn plan once the lab results come back.

Thanks again!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 7, 2016, 1:44 PM

Ummm, your not drinking enough beer.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You need to start over unless you are willing to do

Mar 7, 2016, 7:32 PM

some serious dewee4ding by hand. Forget the chemicals.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic