Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Korey Foreman and new NCAA rules
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Korey Foreman and new NCAA rules

May 1, 2020, 10:11 AM

In my mind, Korey Foreman may be a great example of how the new NCAA rules could affect recruiting.

He's a SoCal guy. While USC has been down for a while, there should be no doubt about the power and market potential of the brand.

So, where is he going to go to college? When recruiters from USC show him a powerpoint, explaining demographics, market, alumni base, and income potential for his likeness playing in Los Angeles wearing the iconic SC jersey, what's he gonna do? What would you do?

I think this new rule is a disaster in the making. The scales will only become more uneven between the haves an the have-nots. Thankfully Clemson is something of a national brand now, and the paw is unique. But I suspect the "haves" will quickly become the schools that can capitalize on demographics, alumni base size, and market. Schools in smaller, rural areas and less populated states are going to suffer.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Big part of that rule:

May 1, 2020, 10:21 AM

He will be able to profit from his likeness, but not from his likeness in USC (or any other college) gear.

True, but the sell to the recruit will be just as stated

May 1, 2020, 10:53 AM

above.

I am sure Dabo and the staff is putting together a strategy for 2021 and beyond to make the new rules, once the details are hammered out, work out for Clemson.

But his likeness is more valuable in a large market.

May 1, 2020, 12:46 PM [ in reply to Big part of that rule: ]

this is a good rule for Columbus OH, Austin tX, USC Trojans, UCLA, Athens/ATL, maybe even GTech. There are more opportunities to hook up with local business there in these big cities. Clemson may drop back a bit b/c of this kinda stuff. Small towns schools are not going to be able to compete.

Re: Korey Foreman and new NCAA rules

May 1, 2020, 10:58 AM

I'm actually not sure the big markets will impact us as much as many think. Yeah, if you compare LA to little Clemson then it would be a big disadvantage for us. However, it's not like the marketing deals would be limited only to within the town the college is located in. Greenville isn't LA, but it's also not a tiny town, and it's close with a large Clemson presence.

There's also no reason why any Clemson fans located in other areas of the state and country couldn't work out similar deals. It's also not like a nationally popular star like Trevor Lawrence wouldn't be able to get deals from businesses that aren't owned by a Clemson fan or Clemson alum.

These big cities obviously have more people, but how many of those people are devoted enough to college sports to give up significant money to impact the outcome? I'm not saying Clemson would have just as many devoted fans who are willing and able to offer marketing deals, but I don't think the difference is as large as so many fear it is.

May 1, 2020, 11:25 AM

Trevor is gonna kill with some shampoo and conditioner company

Trevor won't benefit from any of this...he's too early.

May 1, 2020, 12:48 PM

we gotta get all we can out of our sports programs now b/c the big city schools will dominate in paying for play.

Two things (and agreeing)

May 1, 2020, 12:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Korey Foreman and new NCAA rules ]

1) In the big cities, pro sports rule. I don't know what a college player endorsement is worth (except basketball in rare cases like Zion, but the days of that are numbered).

2) In the big city, big pro sports towns, only a few pro athletes have visible endorsement deals. Only the biggest stars. By the time any college player gets close to that level, they are leaving for the NFL.

May 1, 2020, 1:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Korey Foreman and new NCAA rules ]

Not to mention they don't really even support their pro or college football teams in California. Sure its a bigger pond, but if nobody cares who you are then what does it matter? Now places that have a good combination of population and a love of football will definitely have an advantage.

May 1, 2020, 1:29 PM

Tuscaloosa is not a metropolis. It's closest city of note is Birmingham. I think brand and culture are going to mean more. It is the same as most of our name brand players aren't going to win the beauty pageant called the Heisman. With Dabo, they are going to be knuckle dragging from the rings they will be wearing from team championships.

May 1, 2020, 2:01 PM

And "profiting from your image" can easily turn into bags of money from boosters. Its gonna be pretty tough to account for all of the cash that suddenly drops in the laps of top players. Sure most of them won't get much of anything but top QBs will immediately demand six figures to even get a seat at the table. All for "their image" of course .

May 1, 2020, 4:23 PM

These people who feel college football players should be paid are opening up a can of major problems they once out cannot be put back in the can. This is going to be a disaster which will change college football as most fans know It. It may even lead to a larger decline in football attendance which has already declined over the last several years.

It’s becoming all about the $$$$$$$!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 2, 2020, 9:33 AM

It does not matter the likeness in the gear. This is a straight up way of paying players out in the open without the university’s having to flip the bill. Why do you think they support it. It will destroy the game.

The quote paying someone for the likeness will just be a way of funneling money from Mr. Car Dealer or whatever to the student athlete. Please readdress your IPTAY donations to the companies that will be funneling the money to the players. This is going to be a complete pay to play with the boosters funding it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most of LA doesn't give a crap about CFB

May 2, 2020, 10:19 AM

or football in general TBH. NFL teams have struggled to gain fans there too.

Schools with large, passionate fanbases might have an advantage but i don't think being located in a major city really matters that much.

I'd be most concerned about schools like A&M that are just dying to win games and are willing to spend millions to do so.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic