Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Wasn’t our “close call” against UNC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Wasn’t our “close call” against UNC

Nov 6, 2019, 5:58 PM

One of the negative things the chairman of CFP cited? How about PSU’s “close call” against not being viewed as a negative? This is where the committee’s criteria seems flawed.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wasn’t our “close call” against UNC

Nov 6, 2019, 6:34 PM

It's the exact same thing! And at least we were on the road. Penn State was at home.

Still will believe it when I see it - if we are undefeated and are left out!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That’s exactly what I’ve been telling people.

Nov 6, 2019, 6:41 PM

And beating a grossly overrated Michigan team by 7 doesn’t make you an elite team either.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That’s exactly what I’ve been telling people.

Nov 6, 2019, 6:43 PM

Army is down this year; but should have beaten Michigan in Ann Arbor! You are correct when you say: grossly overrated!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was a gritty win against a tough opponent

Nov 6, 2019, 6:43 PM

At least I think that is how he described it

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That was a gritty win against a tough opponent

Nov 6, 2019, 7:38 PM

I recognize the ACC has some issues, but what ACC/ OCC team on this year's schedule did the pundits expect to be much improved over last year?
Cuse? They may be worse than expected, but they lost a ton of key players from last year too.
GT? Starting a new system.
F$U? No way; too many problems to fix that soon.
BC? Only if we could not stop the run. They had one good drive and then the Clemson D shut them down.
ATM? Not sure yet, but still a good mainstream SEC team and that game was never in doubt.
Louisville? A little better but not near enough.
UNC? The one close game and I think no doubt UNC is better than they were last year.
Wake? They look much improved but does any pundit expect them to beat Clemson?
USCe? Don't hold your breath.

Nov 6, 2019, 7:39 PM

The "Close Call" at UNC should be a positive talking point for us, not against us. Offense wins games, but defense wins championships. This defense had its back against the wall in a do or die situation, and made the goal-line stand. Not a fluke either, they've made more goal-line stands than any defense in college football this season.

And BV’s defenses have done it in do or die situations for years***

Nov 6, 2019, 7:40 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 6, 2019, 10:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Wasn’t our “close call” against UNC ]

Complete teams win championships.

Yeah the defense made a goal line stand on a 2 point conversion after letting UNC march right down the field, converting something like 3 4th downs in the process, to tie the game after finally being given the lead.

And you know what's a bigger positive than that close call? Not having to resort to a stopped 2 point conversion to eek out a win over a sub-.500 team. Trying to spin that game as a positive is asinine.

Close call win or a loss to a subpar team

Nov 6, 2019, 11:07 PM

Appear to be the same right UGA?

Re: Close call win or a loss to a subpar team

Nov 7, 2019, 7:50 AM

Not really. Otherwise UGA would be tied for 5th and not ranked 6th.

I'm not sure why you're complaining about teams ranked behind us.

Know what is a positive?

Nov 6, 2019, 11:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Wasn’t our “close call” against UNC ]

Getting the W in Chapel Hill, being 9-0 right now. Isn't that what it's all about?

It sure does appear that we were penalized more for beating UNC than Georgia was for losing to the Uof5C, a team that UNC beat & which presently has an identical 4-5 record (& less likelihood of getting to 6 wins & making the post-season).

I'm not crying foul or insinuating bias or questioning their integrity, because in years past the CFP committee has generally treated us fairly. But if it is choosing this moment to regard an actual win as a notional loss for purposes of team evaluation, that does open the door to all sorts of logical contortions & double-standards in order to get their preferred teams in & certain other teams excluded.

Re: Know what is a positive?

Nov 7, 2019, 7:52 AM

It sure does appear that we were penalized more for beating UNC than Georgia was for losing to the Uof5C, a team that UNC beat & which presently has an identical 4-5 record (& less likelihood of getting to 6 wins & making the post-season)

To be clear you're talking about the Georgia team that is ranked behind us right? Them not being punished for that loss would see them somewhere in the top 3. *SOMEONE* has to be ranked 6th.

Nov 6, 2019, 11:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Wasn’t our “close call” against UNC ]

I wonder if there is a reason a touchdown is worth 6 points?
I wonder why a kicked extra point is worth 1 point?
Hmm I wonder why a play ran from the 2 yard line after a touchdown is worth 2 points?
I wonder why a field goal counts 3 points.
If you block an extra point or get a turnover on attempted extra points and return it to the opposite end zone that counts 2 points I wonder why?
I wonder why a safety is worth 2 points?
( I think there is another way to score 1 point but it’s obscure and happens like 1 time in history , I wonder why ?
Oh yeah it’s because they keep score!!
The team with the most points win!!!!
To spin a win as anything but positive is just asinine!!!!

Nov 7, 2019, 12:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Wasn’t our “close call” against UNC ]

Right ? Ask Nick Saban what he thinks of our red zone defense .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Nov 6, 2019, 10:50 PM

Best as I can tell, our "close call" against UNC (away) and Georgia's "close call" (at home) are on equal footing.

How about this!!

Nov 7, 2019, 12:03 AM

Yep, we dropped from 1st preseason to 5th, because of a close win! UGA dropped from 3rd preseason to 6th, after a pitiful loss to a sub-mediocre Usuc! We dropped 4 spots, UGA dropped 3 spots! So apparently, our close win was worse than their terrible loss!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How about this!!

Nov 7, 2019, 6:37 AM

Yep, we dropped from 1st preseason to 5th, because of a close win! UGA dropped from 3rd preseason to 6th, after a pitiful loss to a sub-mediocre Usuc! We dropped 4 spots, UGA dropped 3 spots! So apparently, our close win was worse than their terrible loss!

Georgia dropped 7 the week they lost ...

Nov 7, 2019, 7:04 AM

And have been raised back up due to what? Kentucky? Florida? I am assuming that you watched those games and the committee didn't.

Meanwhile, Clemson has continued to drop despite winning 45-14, 45-10, 59-7, and 59-14 since UNC.

Nov 7, 2019, 7:27 AM

Bareftn said:

And have been raised back up due to what? Kentucky? Florida? I am assuming that you watched those games and the committee didn't.

Meanwhile, Clemson has continued to drop despite winning 45-14, 45-10, 59-7, and 59-14 since UNC.

Georgia had the worse loss of the top 6 teams. It is also the only team with two quality wins (top ten) that are both still in the top 15.

Spin that however it makes you feel better.

Bottom line Georgia is below Clemson in the poll, therefore is almost meaningless to Clemson. Clemson has the highest chance of making playoff @ 83% ... Georgia 14% ... why all this effort whining over Georgia? (Rhetorical question). It’s not becoming of a championship program.

Nov 7, 2019, 6:48 AM

Yea the UNC team who beat the coots with a freshman qb... Then coots went on to beat UGA with a backup qb. Anyone heard this narrative in the sports media?

Nov 7, 2019, 8:03 AM

We'll still get in at 13-0, so it doesn't matter, but I said back when it happened that I wish UNC had gotten the 2. We had 2 TOs and 1:17 left on the clock. Stopping a terrible playcall on the 2 point attempt was "barely hanging on." Driving down the field for the go ahead score in crunch time after a rough offensive game would've been "overcoming adversity on the road." Yeah there's a chance that we lose especially with our kicking issues, but passing that test early in the season would've looked better to the committee. Again, doesn't matter if we win out, and if we don't win out, we don't deserve to go anyway.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic