Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Keys to the game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Keys to the game

Dec 14, 2020, 10:30 PM

General themes:
ND: Don’t let Clemson own the two minutes before and after halftime. Every game that I have seen of Clemson’s they have really keyed in right before halftime and also come out strong for the second half.

Clemson: Don’t let Notre Dame get out to an early lead. This makes the second half advantage that Clemson has shown (BC, Syracuse, ND, and Virginia Tech) games even more powerful if you’re playing ahead going into halftime. Turns a nail biter like BC/ND into a blowout like VT when the waves start to come.

When ND has the ball:
ND needs to keep moving the sticks and then convert in the red zone. They left points on the field in the first half and it almost killed them in the first game. They did an excellent job of mixing in runs to make 3rd downs manageable. From there, the receivers played above themselves on sideline passes and Mayer was great picking up yards after catch on crossers. Book will have to continue to put the ball in tight windows and Kyren Williams will have to keep fighting for yards that will be hard to come by. Clemson needs to disrupt series and put ND in long situations. ND is not as capable at picking up chunk plays as Clemson’s offense is. I’m sure BV will also bait Book into running with a collapsing or disguised defense as well. Would not be surprised to see 7-8 man drops and also with Venables taking away Michael Mayer as Book’s security blanket. Kyren Williams having a big run or screen pass would be a huge boost, but I have a feeling it will have to come via the latter this time. Also, how much have Clemson’s freshmen phenoms come on the DL in 6 weeks? Could this be their time to take a full step into their predecessors shoes against a top OL?

When Clemson has the ball:
I honestly think Clemson can make a lot of money on long balls to Powell and read keepers with Lawrence. Powell had multiple long plays and balled out last game. It may be a pick your poison for Clark Lea, but I think some of the attention has to go away from Etienne. Will Lea be able to find the right combination of extra blitzers and 4 man rushes to keep Clemson guessing? I heard a stat that Trevor Lawrence is ~75% passer when not pressured and under 40% when pressured. ND was great at getting to Sam Howell a few weeks ago in a second half shutout without Kyle Hamilton (targetting), so we will see if they’re able to replicate that. If Lawrence is not pressured I would go ahead and grab the current odds on him winning a bronze stiff arm. I am going to guess that Clemson’s OL will come out fired up, so it will be a good matchup to watch.

Special teams:
Clemson obviously has had great place kicking all year. Doerer for Notre Dame has been in a funk the last few weeks. Can he return to basically being a wash with Clemson’s kicker?

On the flip side, Notre Dame’s punting has been consistent and played a big part in flipping first half field position against Clemson and North Carolina. It’s my understanding Clemson’s punter performance has been like Doerer’s placekicking, mostly good, but a couple of shanks.

My prediction is either and ND win 27-24, or Clemson winning somewhere in the vicinity of 31-17 or 31-14. The Vegas line of 10 or 11 points seems about right for this one. My heart wants to say ND finds a way, but I am happy both teams found a way here regardless of outcome (cough* Big Ten*cough) and commend Clemson for playing on November 7 when I would bet other teams would not have. It’s going to be a physical game and I wish both teams good health aside from the bumps and bruises they will inevitably have the following day.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Keys to the game

Dec 14, 2020, 11:04 PM

Aggressiveness and toughness!

The young guys grew up a bit in the 1st game who were forced to play a ton of snaps against a good opponent "on the road"! I think Trenton Simpson had 75 snaps and Bresee something like 60-65.
Knowing more of what to expect and being prepared for it will be huge.
Remember the more experienced team was Notre Dame; especially after Clemson had been hit by injuries and Covid-19 protocol.
Some of that advantage will be neutralized this go around for Notre Dame(experience). Having those guys back also means keeping fresh legs on the football field.
Which will allow Coach V to be much more aggressive! I think we will score points against ND - the question will be can we slow them down!

#13 will have a big game. I am calling for it and believe it will happen. He hasn't been utilized enough and will be the "oh and make sure we cover this guy some, now back to Etienne and Rogers"! The underneath stuff to supplement the run game if we can run it affectively; should mean a big Spector day. A big Galloway day. Remember Galloway opened the VT game with the big pass play and then - disappeared. The middle of the field will be open right behind the LB's as they will most likely have their eyes in the backfield.

When ND has the ball - it's simple. Do we have the depth/strength/scheme/toughness/grit enough to keep their running game to 25 or more yards under their season average?
Can we keep Book in the pocket and make him a statue QB who "just beats you with his arm"! If he can, hats off to him. We did a good job of getting them to 3rd down - but that raskle escaped the pocket several times and gave them a fresh set of downs. He rushed for 65 yards. Their outstanding RB had 140(65 on one play still counts I know). I thought we bottled up their RB decent except the one big run and Book!
DJU didn't turn it over versus ND which is why we had a chance to win. The fumble at the 10 yard line man was just hurtful to the cause. You can't do that and win - we at least get a FG there and it's a different game. People say, "if they had done X and Y later - so it neutralizes the fumble - to which I disagree vehemently. A TD especially or a FG would likely have taken them out of what they did so well that night. Some of the play calling very well could have changed and it would not have gotten to that.

I don't think we should expect TL to have 439 yards passing. That was a great performance; but even the great TL can't be burdened with having to try and duplicate that. No. We need to do a better job of stopping the ND attack! We have the personnel to do it - we just have to do it. I expect a big game from Trenton Simpson and Myles Murphy this game!

Tigers win by multiple scores if we play A game. If not, it will be like it was in ND "if they are on their A game"!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2020, 9:41 AM

Got to agree with HillRock always. Always sharp analysis. Just don't force Spector to the sideline and expect him to fight for 50/50 balls. He and Galloway both have to do a much better job helping Trevor. Both seem to have a tendency to "wait" on the ball instead of coming back through the defender and putting them mits out to squeeze the ball. Aka, positioning and either get a catch or a pi.

We still don't know the status of Ladson or Ngata. If they're not able to go, we need EJ to step up and run cleaner routes to create space. Also utilize him on the 50/50 sideline balls. Or even endzone fades. The man can jump.

Wish Elliott had looked at Fla. Mullen given trask some beautiful redzone passing plays. Trevor gets the rpo TD running but imo, we've struggled to find redzone passing plays.

I think it was a HillRock thread last week where it was discussed dj's scheme being more pro style than rpo... Personally, would like to see Trevor given that scheme. Our rpo has become so predictable. Want to see something new from TE.

As for D, XT and kj need to have breakout games. Ty and BB need to roll off their blocks and clog the passing lanes and get them big mits in the air.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2020, 11:10 PM

Stopping ND's TE's.

Dec 15, 2020, 9:47 AM

Be nice to get zanders back on the field at 100. Be wonderful to see foster getting some snaps. We can take some of that TE connection away by getting book to roll away from them while containg him on the edge and force him to throw across his body.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2020, 11:23 PM

I have to commend you for an even and fair analysis from an opposing fan....

Not surprising since that’s was your tenor before the last game as well...

I want to see a healthy Clemson win as I’m not a fan of Brian Kelly in general or some of what I perceive to be arrogance coming from Book and Kelly ..to be fair I think reporters are baiting Book into some remarks ... Kelly on the other hand always comes across as arrogant to me..

I think your analysis is pretty spot on though..

Dec 14, 2020, 11:49 PM

To add some perspective, I think Book has been forced to wear thick skin. He’s not just getting it from people around the country, but he has been heading it from his own fan base for a long time. I think he’s a good kid, but right now has a me against everyone outside of this locker room mentality. It was less than six months ago that people here and on ND boards were asking if Kelly made the right move in starting Book over Jurkovec. If he loses and doesn’t play quite as well (let’s say 2 TD and 2 int), he will probably hear it again. Also, he’s auditioning for his career. I don’t think he is trying to be Baker or Johnny Football. I think the kid is just trying to win and also maybe snag on with a team in the third day of the draft.

As far as Kelly, he has gotten a lot better over the last four seasons. There are some in our fan base that still can’t stand him. Take him as you want, but I think he had to take a very humbled approach after 2016 and some of the idiotically arrogant things he said or did the first seven seasons (“get used to it” after passing with a backup quarterback in the red zone when we only needed a field goal to win against Tulsa, “wait till I have my guys” after a 35-10 loss to Navy that same season and preceding a 12-0 year with mostly Weis recruits, blaming the center for shotgun snaps in a hurricane 10-3 loss to NC State in 2016, and interviewing with the Eagles the day after losing 42-14 to Alabama for the title). I really think he’s grown to understand it more and care about the kids as individuals. He also has learned to take his darn hands off the offense.

Dec 14, 2020, 11:51 PM

Hearing*. Six *weeks

For me I think it’s winning 3rd down

Dec 14, 2020, 11:56 PM

On offense and defense.

We need to stop Book on 3rd downs and get consistent pressure on him. We can’t let him extend drives.

Offense needs better performance on first down so we’re not behind schedule all night.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2020, 4:02 AM

Two keys to the game;
1) Score more points.
2) have more points on the scoreboard when the clock shows 00:00.
Seems a lot easier explaination, don't you think?

Dec 15, 2020, 7:19 AM

Sure but then we wouldn’t have message boards

Dec 15, 2020, 8:35 AM

Sure we would have message boards.
We would just have fewer arm chair quarterbacks, and would -be coaches.

Dec 15, 2020, 9:55 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Just don't let it come down to a kick for us to win it.

Dec 15, 2020, 9:56 AM

Those Dr.Pepper Fansville commercials will shirley put the jinx on us. :(

The good news is, I believe Skalski and company will have the game well in hand before the end. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic