Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why Bob Stoops to FSU makes sense.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Why Bob Stoops to FSU makes sense.

Nov 5, 2019, 6:44 AM

Rumors are all over Tallahassee that Stoops was on campus yesterday and they are finalizing the deal. Could be announced no later than early next week.

I have no idea if those rumors are true. But, before everyone just dismisses this as pipe dreams, I tried to figure out if it could make any sense at all. Here is what I came up with. (I just posted this on a Nole board. Will be interested to compare the responses there with this board.)

On the surface, it makes no sense. He's financially secure. He doesn't need the money. If he really wanted to get back into coaching, there will be a lot better openings than the fiasco at FSU.

That's what conventional wisdom says. But, as the official would say, "Upon further review the conventional wisdom has been overturned."

Here are a few reasons why.

1. Coaching is in his blood. Why did Bobby coach as long as he did? Why did Les Miles and Mack Brown get back into coaching? Herm Edwards summed it up. "I just wanted to feel the grass under my feet again."

2. Coaches aren't afraid of competition. Brown, Edwards and Miles didn't take the job thinking, "Yeah, we're gonna be lousy, but this is gonna be fun. So what if we lose? No big deal." Stoops wouldn't come to Florida State if he didn't think he could turn the program around and win.

Now, to more specifics about Stoops and the FSU situation.

3. Stoops/Briles connection. Bob Stoops and Art Briles are friends. Some folks, a minority for sure - but some folks, think Art was the scapegoat at Baylor and wasn't nearly as guilty as he has been portrayed. Stoops thinks Kendal is a great offensive mind.

4. Stoops groomed Lincoln Riley to be his successor. When he was convinced that Riley was ready for the job he stepped aside. He sees the same possibility with Kendal. What better way to be a friend to Art other than helping his son succeed?

5. Stoops/Leavitt connection. In the early 90s, Stoops and Leavitt were co-defensive coordinators at Kansas State under Bill Snyder. They worked well together and have been friends ever since.

So, upon further review, this makes sense. It may not happen, but it makes more sense than Miles to Kansas or Edwards to AZ ST.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why Bob Stoops to FSU makes sense.

Nov 5, 2019, 6:52 AM

Funny you should post this--was just thinking that a Mack Brown type would make a lot of sense for a min/max of 2-4 years.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Nov 5, 2019, 6:57 AM

Bob Stoops is 59. Not that old really. It would be a grandslam hire by FSU.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2019, 7:05 AM

Mack Brown is 68, so it all hinges on how long Stoops wants to coach at age 59. We all assume Mack is back for the short term, but who knows.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Nov 5, 2019, 6:58 AM

Bob Stoops is still relatively young (59) and is probably ready to get back to work for several more years. There is certainly an opportunity to come in to FSU and get the program back on track quickly. Hope it happens - it will be fun to have competitive games between FSU/Clemson again that have national implications!

Yikes with the Briles scapegoat stuff

Nov 5, 2019, 6:58 AM

The people that want to think he was the scapegoat there (AKA the Briles family or anyone employing a Briles) think he’s the scapegoat but anyone with a brain can poke a whole bunch of holes in that pretty quickly. Namely being what established coach doesn’t have his pulse on what’s happening in his program and especially ignoring some serious crimes that would likely cost him football games.

As someone who didn’t like the Taggart hire from the jump, I’d give this hire like a B-. It’s an improvement on Willie (not hard to do) but it seems to be the cheapest and quickest way out on a coach whose more name than substance at this point. I also don’t think K Briles is the next Lincoln Riley. Stoops’ success toward the end at OU primarily came from Lincoln and Briles is the scummier, less talented cousin of Lincoln.

This hire doesn’t instill any fear in me as much as a Campbell or Norvell would have.

Upon further review

Nov 5, 2019, 7:19 AM

You makes some good points.

If Stoops were to takeover at FSU I could see a situation where he takes over for a few years to get things turned around and then exits stateg-left handing the program off to somebody in better shape than when he took it over. It's a win-win for everybody.

Interesting.

Nov 5, 2019, 7:33 AM

I thought stoops stepped aside because clemson ran a train on his defense.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2019, 7:39 AM

If Stoops was on campus, it's a done deal

Nov 5, 2019, 7:44 AM

The money has increased big time for coaches. I’m thinking stoops got paid around 2 mil per year when he was at Oklahoma. He’d make 5x that now. Coach 3-4 years and really be set for life.

If he's not a financial moron he's already set for life

Nov 5, 2019, 10:19 AM

and his children, too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2019, 7:51 AM

He could do it. How much would kids now identify w him from a recruiting aspect. He's been gone what would a long time in terms of HS seniors. But Mack was gone much longer.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2019, 8:01 AM

You may be on to something.

6) Why not wait to fire Taggert, unless you already had plan B in motion? I'm sure that the buyout would have dropped drastically a month from now, and they wouldn't be able to hire a current coach until then.

Not to mention he has a built in recruiting bonanza

Nov 5, 2019, 8:09 AM

in his backyard in Florida with Georgia next door. At Oklahoma he had Texas, but its better territory at FSU.

He took over a mess at Oklahoma, people forget that. Not like he hasnt done it before.

He'd be a huge hire

Nov 5, 2019, 8:11 AM

Man you guys want Venables to stay at Clemson... it isn't like he needs the motivation.

If Stoops take FSU, letting A&M get Jimbo would make it look like A&M were played as fools

if Leavitt and Briles are with him, then it's a great hire***

Nov 5, 2019, 8:11 AM

interesting***

Nov 5, 2019, 8:16 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Not that much downside risk either way

Nov 5, 2019, 8:38 AM

For Stoops: he is already financially secure but I'm sure the FSU deal with Stoops would be better than Taggart deal with FSU. Why would FSU be more of a risk versus the unknown of the new XFL? FSU is already a hot mess so no one could blame him for creating a dumpster fire and he has room to fire the OC and DC which is typical in the blame game should it get to that point in 1 or 2 years. 65 retirement age isn't far away so no need to worry about another job.

For FSU: it satisfies the Alums and fans which gets the money flowing again. It recharges enthusiasm for potential recruits. He is "proven" so it gets the doubters in the media off their backs.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like the hire...bunches! Especially from Clemson perspecti

Nov 5, 2019, 9:49 AM

1. Stoops screwed Coach Venables. Coach V was passed over for the DC or DC/Asst Head coaching job at OK. He did the work , and Stoops little Bro got the title.
2. Add that little nugget to Brent's already over the top game prep and you have a good set up for Clemson against Stoop's at FSU.
3.Stoops will be successful at FSU, which helps Clemson. They will be a perennial top 10 team within a couple of years.
4. People will be talking about Clemson and FSU belonging in the playoffs instead of Alabama and whomever their little brother for the year happens to be.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2019, 10:27 AM

People always talk about "the mess Jimbo left behind" but what exactly is that mess? I thought he left mainly because the school wasnt behind getting new facilities like Clemson was. He won a national title 3 years before he left and stayed a top 15 team until he left. I dont really see it being that hard to rebuild FSU but maybe i just havent being keeping up with their program that close to understand

You are right.

Nov 5, 2019, 7:45 PM

The “Jimbo’s fault” narrative began as a way to make excuses for Taggart. The more people heard it, the more people repeated it...and it became a thing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His last season wasn’t good, couldn’t recruit a QB, oline issues...

Nov 5, 2019, 8:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Why Bob Stoops to FSU makes sense. ]

And he quit recruiting players two months before he bolted for aTm.

Nov 5, 2019, 1:08 PM

For what it's worth....this was on football scoop

https://footballscoop.com/news/bob-stoops-not-interviewing-florida-state-job/

Reason No. 1:

Nov 5, 2019, 4:25 PM

Losing to Dabo Swinney left a bad taste in Bobby's mouth. He wants a chance (or chances) to get even. Butt, it ain't happening, not now, not ever. I welcome him if he takes the job.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm far from convinced Stoops will come out of retirement

Nov 5, 2019, 6:45 PM

I remember some reporters, most notably Bruce Feldman, predicting in the year leading up to Stoops' retirement that he wouldn't coach much longer. Stoops had apparently made it known that he wanted to get out of coaching before he was too old so that he could spend more time with his family and pursue other interests.

Maybe he's getting that old itch to come back and coach again, but I'll believe it when i see it.

Keep on dreaming, those rumors have been proven false***

Nov 5, 2019, 7:57 PM

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic