Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Man, what happened to Nebraska?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Man, what happened to Nebraska?

Sep 18, 2013, 8:52 AM

1994, 1995, 1997 National Champions running the Option with a Smothering defense. I watched the UCLA game Saturday and saw none of either.

Bo Pelini's Defenses were so good at LSU, you think at least they would be competitive on that side of the ball, yet they get Blown Out more times than not.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Bo not helping!

Sep 18, 2013, 8:54 AM

nm

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it's crazy, bigxiiish, storied program sucking on the big1.***

Sep 18, 2013, 8:55 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Man, what happened to Nebraska?

Sep 18, 2013, 8:55 AM

I think Bill Callahan happened, and they never recovered.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2013, 8:57 AM

Frank Solich says "Hi".

Raiders are in the same boat.***

Sep 18, 2013, 9:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Man, what happened to Nebraska? ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nobody wants to go to Nebraska to play Purdue every year

Sep 18, 2013, 9:00 AM

or most of the other big 10 teams. The kids in high school grew up watching Big 12 teams destroy Nebraska. I am guessing those kids want to go to Oklahoma or Texas A&M now.

I think you make a good Point. The Big 10 is just boring

Sep 18, 2013, 9:49 AM

to recruits.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

With the new East/West alignment, it will be worse.

Sep 18, 2013, 10:00 AM [ in reply to Nobody wants to go to Nebraska to play Purdue every year ]

Nebraska fans really got screwed with the jump to the Big 10.

When the divisions re-align, they'll be in the West Division along with:
Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Northwestern
Purdue
Wisconsin

Wow. That is awful.

I can't believe they left the Big 12, playing Texas, Oklahoma, Ok State and both Kansas teams (at least Kansas and K State are close by and natural rivals) for this.

null

I'm guessing they made the decision out of jealousy

Sep 18, 2013, 10:16 AM

of Texas.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Teams in the Southeast dominating recruiting.

Sep 18, 2013, 9:57 AM

I mean, have you ever been to Nebraska? It's like, if you've seen one cornfield you've seen them all!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The same thing that has happened to a lot of the Big Ten

Sep 18, 2013, 10:07 AM

They aren't getting enough premium athletes out on the field. Even Nebraska's dominant teams in the 90s were Tommy Frazier / Lawrence Phillips / Ahman Green, and a bunch of big, slow guys. That used to be effective, but the game has changed.

Also, who really wants to go to Lincoln Nebraska to play football? According to the study linked below, roughly 60% of D1 college football players over the last 5 years have come from Texas, Florida, California, and the southeast, and i doubt many of them are eager to go all the way out to places like Nebraska to play football.

Forgot the link to the article

Sep 18, 2013, 10:07 AM

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2013/9/11/4718442/college-football-state-texas-california-florida

Thanks for the link.

Sep 18, 2013, 10:20 AM [ in reply to The same thing that has happened to a lot of the Big Ten ]

I hadn't read it but it's intuitively obvious that UN and the rest of the B1G do not have the players to compete by watching them on the field over the past five or six years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your last sentence explains why your first sentence is wrong

Sep 18, 2013, 10:53 AM [ in reply to The same thing that has happened to a lot of the Big Ten ]

Nebraska used to dominate with walk-on linemen. They tried to do what everyone else is doing, without the same style of athletes. They should have stuck with what worked.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What was wrong about it?

Sep 18, 2013, 12:20 PM

1) I don't care what kind of offense they are running, you have to have enough legit athletes on defense these days if you want to compete. Big doesn't cut it anymore, you need guys that are big, and fast, and freakishly athletic, particularly on the D-line. Guys like that aren't coming out of the midwest, they are in the south.

This is why a lot of schools have struggled vs the best teams in the SEC and some of Pete Carrol's USC teams getting blown out in title games and big bowl games. Michigan and OSU both got taken behind the woodshed multiple times despite being the class of the Big Ten.

2) I never said they should've changed their offense, but they did, and i can certainly understand why it happened. The triple option looked like a sinking ship and they were trying to bail before it was too late. In hindsight i think PJ has proven that it can still work the majority of the time at the BCS level, but even so you still need the horses on D.

A well-rested D looks a lot more dominant than a

Sep 18, 2013, 2:48 PM

defense that has to play with a hurry up offense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nebraska should have stayed in the Big 12.***

Sep 18, 2013, 10:08 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2013, 10:37 AM

Another good example of a team pulling a Nebraska. They gave up 70 in the big 10 title games, 40 to ugay in the bowl and got pounded at home by ucla.

They caught bandwagon fever and abandoned a tried and true

Sep 18, 2013, 10:52 AM

football system.

Skill players from CA, FL, TX, etc decided to stay at home

Sep 18, 2013, 10:58 AM

For a variety of reasons already listed in this thread.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bo knows potty mouth!***

Sep 18, 2013, 11:29 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2013, 11:37 AM

Now that they're not playing teams like Texas and Texas A&M in the Big 12 they've lost their pipeline to the fertile recruiting grounds in the state of Texas. There isn't enough talent in Nebraska and the surrounding states to support the program.

Black jersey's.....and bad mouthing the best player

Sep 18, 2013, 12:30 PM

to ever play for your program in Tommy Frazier doesn't help..The turmoil filters down through a team and eats it away from the inside. He won NC"S at NEB, and now he can't stand the school. Sad after what all he did for that program...Frazier was a STUD!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just some perspective...

Sep 18, 2013, 7:56 PM

Let's not get carried away here. Yes, they have had some embarrassing losses the last couple of years. But Pelini's record is 51-21 and in the 5+ years he's been there, Nebraska is like 4th or 5th nationally in wins. In five years he's won 3 division titles and tied for a 4th but did not have a tiebreaker. And he's done that recovering them from the disaster of Bill Callahan. Pelini needs to just break through and have a true breakout season and stop the bad losses. But they are playing something like 9 freshman on defense. Contrary to perception, their young defense is very athletic but they don't know what they are doing yet. If their fans will have patience, they are on the verge of breaking through big in a couple of years.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic