Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Report: Morris agrees in principle with SMU
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 71
| visibility 1

FB Update: Report: Morris agrees in principle with SMU

Nov 28, 2014, 7:13 PM

Report: Morris agrees in principle with SMU

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: Report: Morris agrees in principle with SMU

Nov 28, 2014, 7:15 PM

I'm really glad for him and his family. I understand what going home means. It's a feeling like no other!

Nov 28, 2014, 7:20 PM

Yea, happy for him but also hate to see him go. It was leaked at a bad time though

Nov 28, 2014, 7:21 PM

I'm sure Coach Morris had nothing to do with the leak.

earlier today your words were "good riddance"

Nov 28, 2014, 9:17 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Report: Morris agrees in principle with SMU ]

need the link?

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: earlier today your words were "good riddance"

Nov 28, 2014, 10:12 PM

York who do you think are the top 3 realistic choices to replace Chad?

I think it's probably gonna be Jeff

Nov 28, 2014, 10:21 PM

if not, Lincoln Riley fits what Dabo wants to do. I like the guy at TCU, who was co-coordinator at OKST last year. Not sure if he'd jump though

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: I think it's probably gonna be Jeff

Nov 28, 2014, 10:23 PM

Are you concerned about recruits?

I don't really keep up with recruiting

Nov 28, 2014, 10:31 PM

I'm sure they'll be some turnover, but this isn't something that should catch anyone by surprise. Dabo isn't a guy to not be prepared, so I'm sure he's talked this through with Jeff during evaluations, as well as the rest of the staff... they'll be ready to handle recruits

Re: I don't really keep up with recruiting

Nov 28, 2014, 10:39 PM

Thanks...I hope you saw my post the other day. We want same think and i was being a jerk. I'm grateful for fans with your passion. I hope we can' all enjoy a great day tomorrow.

Re: I think it's probably gonna be Jeff

Nov 29, 2014, 8:46 AM [ in reply to Re: I think it's probably gonna be Jeff ]

Jeff has been handling most of the recruiting anyway. Jeff Scott will be the new OC, he was named heir apparent when Morris was hired.

Nov 28, 2014, 7:15 PM

Not that big of a raise then. I think most thought it'd be around $3 million

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2014, 7:17 PM

I don't get this. Why did Clemson not prevent him from talking to anyone until this season was over? Do schools not have to seek permission to interview before the season is over?

To clarify I understand him leaving, but I just don't get the timing.

Message was edited by: tigerfan22334®

Nov 28, 2014, 7:21 PM

Really. Very annoying timing. Could have kept till next week

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ok fine. Who is going to be our next OC??

Nov 28, 2014, 7:17 PM

Thoughts??

Re: Ok fine. Who is going to be our next OC??

Nov 28, 2014, 7:19 PM

Its going to be Jeff Scott or Lincoln Riley.

Jeff Scott***

Nov 28, 2014, 7:21 PM [ in reply to Ok fine. Who is going to be our next OC?? ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FAT TAX NOW!

Oh geez....

Nov 28, 2014, 7:49 PM

I sure hope not...please Noooooooooo................

Just curious . . . why do you say that?***

Nov 28, 2014, 8:01 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Oh geez....

Nov 28, 2014, 8:11 PM [ in reply to Oh geez.... ]

Defintly Jeff Scott and then bring in a new QB coach and let Jeff S still coach WR's

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Oh geez....

Nov 28, 2014, 8:27 PM [ in reply to Oh geez.... ]

do you like anything about Clemson?? You are always so critical of coaches and players.

We did not need to lose Jeff S. IMO, if not offered he would be insulted and start looking. I think Jeff knows morris' playbook and would use more of it than the few plays morris calls and Jeff would add his touch to it. That way you would not have to make many changes with the offense. A new OC outside of the staff could change everything and start from the beginning.

We NEED to keep JS somehow. He is one hell of a recruiter

Re: Jeff Scott***

Nov 28, 2014, 7:50 PM [ in reply to Jeff Scott*** ]

Let's hope so. The Chad did a great job recruiting, but promoting Scott should offset any potential drop-off. It also assures current commits that there will be plenty of continuity going forward. Same scheme, with them fitting in the same as before.

Nov 29, 2014, 8:49 AM

To be honest Jeff was doing most of the recruiting while Morris concentrated on being to OC. Just go look at the recruiting list and you will see Jeff's name beside probably 70% of the recruits.

Nov 29, 2014, 6:46 AM [ in reply to Jeff Scott*** ]

When Dabo would say "it's a Clemson offense, not a Chad Morris offense;" I would wonder who on staff was learning it well enough to run it when CCM inevitably left for a head coaching spot. I think he almost has to promote somebody. No "big name" OC is going to come in and want to run Morris' offense. And I still think it's a great scheme. Stoudt just isn't the right guy to run it. CCM recruited Watson, not Stoudt.

Read this last night

Nov 29, 2014, 8:41 PM [ in reply to Jeff Scott*** ]

NM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2014, 8:38 PM [ in reply to Ok fine. Who is going to be our next OC?? ]

Spurrier is coming in to be our OC

Nov 28, 2014, 11:52 PM [ in reply to Ok fine. Who is going to be our next OC?? ]

Lincoln Riley from ECU.

Nov 28, 2014, 7:18 PM

Well good luck and thanks for helping to bring Clemson back to a top 25 program. Just don't leave Clemson winless against the c0cks.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Holding onto venables is going to be way more important.***

Nov 28, 2014, 7:23 PM

FAT TAX NOW!

Re: Holding onto venables is going to be way more important.***

Nov 28, 2014, 9:26 PM

Wayyyyyyyyy more important to keep BV, defenses like BV has proven he can coach up are capable of winning championships. Our D was awful when BV came to Clemson as our offense was for CM. But I believe that BV has taken less talent and made it much better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 29, 2014, 12:11 AM [ in reply to Holding onto venables is going to be way more important.*** ]

I believe BV is Dabo's successor if he decides to go home after them Swinney boys finish up at Clemson!

Nov 29, 2014, 8:51 AM

Dabo isn't going anywhere for a long time.

Re: Things are finally looking up

Nov 28, 2014, 7:51 PM

With the Deshaun Watson news as being probably for tomorrow along with some other tigers and Morris leaving for SMU we are headed in the right direction. Might want to call David Cutcliff at Duke and see if he is tired of being head man there. I would suggest him at OC.

Lol...what??***

Nov 28, 2014, 7:54 PM

I'd be more worried if you understood dumb coot posts.***

Nov 28, 2014, 10:57 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2014, 8:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Things are finally looking up ]

Wow dumbest post of the night. Of course not surprised bc I'm used to seeing dumb posts from you

Nov 28, 2014, 8:54 PM

Typical, just what I thought, right over some folks heads and a one track mind. Go ahead, stay "all in".

Nov 28, 2014, 10:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Things are finally looking up ]

Great idea! And maybe we could get Lane Kiffen as co-coordinator with Cutcliffe. Do you know DRad's phone number? He needs to hear your idea quickly before Chad takes Cutcliffe to SMU!!!

Nov 28, 2014, 10:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Things are finally looking up ]

> With the Deshaun Watson news as being probably for
> tomorrow along with some other tigers and Morris
> leaving for SMU we are headed in the right direction.
> Might want to call David Cutcliff at Duke and see if
> he is tired of being head man there. I would suggest
> him at OC.
I guess you are not a Dabo fan either are you? Its fans like you i wish could find a new college to pull for! Its sad that fans like you have to voice your idiotic opinions & make the rest of us look bad. SMH

Seems like a good fit for both. Happy for him and

Nov 28, 2014, 7:57 PM

hope he shines there.

I'd be okay with Jeff Scott at OC if it came down to him from a prospective pool, provided he feels like he's ready. But seriously, who wouldn't want to come to Clemson right now and coach this amazing group of talent and incoming recruits.

We'll have a lot of options available to follow Chad. I trust Dabo in this area to find the right man.

Go Tigers!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Man of his word Morris

Nov 28, 2014, 8:04 PM

I personally could not care less if he stays or goes but does he rob the nest and take Watson with him; and would Watson be willing to give up a year? Don't think so. So much for giving your word to a young man.

Re: Man of his word Morris

Nov 28, 2014, 8:17 PM

No way Watson gives up a year to follow him to a team that's going to be coming off a winless season.

Nov 28, 2014, 8:29 PM

KNOW WAY ANY RECRUIT FROM CLEMSON
WILL FOLLOW CHAD TO 0/12 TEAM!!!!!!
He is at best four years from
a possible great season, say 7 & 5...So,
I feel all our recruits are safely
locked up from SMU...Go tigers 37/17..

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Man who KNOWS his WORDS Morris.

Nov 29, 2014, 1:21 AM

1. It's "N-O WAY." Dear Lord. I guess "Spell Check" can't fix everything.

2. 0-11.

3. 37/17? Really? There's not a "Calculator" option for posting messages, but that's 20 points. That's not going to happen for either team tomorrow.

I almost hope that was a "coot" post. If not, dream big. You're a little ray of sunshine, buddy.

Re: Man who KNOWS his WORDS Morris.

Nov 29, 2014, 8:39 PM

> 3. 37/17? Really? There's not a "Calculator" option for
> posting messages, but that's 20 points. That's not
> going to happen for either team tomorrow.

Uh... he missed it by two.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With all his success, his highest salary was $25,000 a year. The president of the university, Dr. R. F. Poole, feared that professors who earned less would be upset. "He called me up and said that he didn't want me to tell anybody what I made," Howard once said. "I said: 'Doc, you don't have to worry. I'm as ashamed as you are of what you pay me.' " - Frank Howard Obituary, New York Times, 01/27/1996

Nov 28, 2014, 10:23 PM [ in reply to Man of his word Morris ]

> I personally could not care less if he stays or goes
> but does he rob the nest and take Watson with him;
> and would Watson be willing to give up a year? Don't
> think so. So much for giving your word to a young
> man.

Ill tell you like i told clemvol, quit being like the #### fans & how bout actually be a real fan!!!!? Its fans like you that give Clemson a bad name. Go find another team to drag down!

Nov 28, 2014, 10:43 PM [ in reply to Man of his word Morris ]

Assuming he's leaving, you cannot criticize him for breaking a promise to Deshaun Watson.

First of all, if he broke a promise to Watson, he broke a promise to a dozen other guys. Watson may be a prized recruit, but the number of recruiter stars does not determine who deserves more "honesty." There are a lot of players who might be disappointed by this (and probably every one of them would start at SMU). He "gave his word" to all of them.

Second, every player knows that coaching is a profession and coaches have personal goals. A player may be disappointed that a coach leaves after they've developed a personal relationship with that coach, but any player knows that these things happen. Players who have already worn the uniform rarely follow a departing coach, unless they think that coach has been treated unfairly. Nobody's going anywhere.

So quit stirring up trouble or worrying about ridiculous scenarios.

Nov 29, 2014, 12:12 AM [ in reply to Man of his word Morris ]

Hold up...Were we making these same comments when Rob Spence was let go?

Depends: Do you think Morris is more important than Mom?

Nov 29, 2014, 9:18 AM [ in reply to Man of his word Morris ]

Remember one of the main reasons DW elected Clemson in the first place.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Depends: Do you think Morris is more important than Mom?

Nov 29, 2014, 9:20 AM

Good point Rev. Thanks for the reminder.

Nov 28, 2014, 8:18 PM

Coach Morris, hope it works out for you. I know it means a lot to be going back home. It took me twenty three years to get back to S.C. and Clemson. Thought I had gone to Heaven. Good luck and thanks for all you have done for Clemson.

"Clemson's Offense"

Nov 28, 2014, 8:41 PM

In the immediate future I think that you will hear Dabo talk about how it's "Clemson's Offense" not Coach Morris' offense, and that it's not going to change just because Coach Morris is leaving.

Re: "Clemson's Offense"

Nov 28, 2014, 9:32 PM

Dabo has already said that this is Clemson's offense a couple years ago.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2014, 8:46 PM

Would be the dumbest move ever if he goes through with this. Next year will be an unprecedented year in Clemson football I'm predicting, with or without him. He could get a major college head coach job offer after next year if he stays, no doubt. Why would you leave for a crap school at the precipice of the greatest year in Clemson history? Very poor foresight on his part if he leaves for a very small percentage raise at such a bad school. Clemson will be fine regardless. Just my opinion anyway.

I don't know. SMU is at a point where a new coach coming

Nov 30, 2014, 9:35 PM

in can redefine and build a program according to their own specs. Could turn out to be a great opportunity for Chad and the school both.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am ready for him to leave anyway . . .

Nov 28, 2014, 8:58 PM

He did good things, but I don't believe it is continuing. I think some new blood would be good, I really do.

I agree, Pistol Pete***

Nov 28, 2014, 10:13 PM

Nov 28, 2014, 9:11 PM

Looks like a lot of fans are getting their wish. Morris deserves a shot at HC, and it's bitterest for him to leave. He took our offense to a new level, but he looked out of his league at times. Either way, we all knew he would leave eventually. I think Coach Scott would be an excellent choice. Dabo would be a fool if he hant been grooming somebody to take over that role. Good luck, Coach.

Nov 28, 2014, 9:35 PM

CM has been trying to leave ever since the LSU win. And I know that he's wishing he could have gotten a job last year so that he could've taken DW with him.

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

this couldn't have waited until next week? What a wonderful

Nov 28, 2014, 9:21 PM

distraction.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Nov 28, 2014, 10:12 PM

As much as I would love Riley, I think Scott is a better long term guy. If Riley caught fire here, he'd be gone just as soon. With Scott we keep recruiting, and who knows, he could be pretty great at play calling in his own time as well

Nov 29, 2014, 12:05 PM

I know that nobody wants to or cares to hear it but, Jeff Scott's dad was a ### good OC at FSU before he tried his hand at heading for the coots. And back then, any good coach taking a job at usuc was no different than Chad taking a job SMU. It's destined to fail, and the next coach will come in and try and build off of the improvements that they make. If Spurrier would have went to usuc when Brad took it over, would he have succeeded and fast as he did. I don't think that he would have b/c usuc was then a much bigger dumpster fire than what Spurrier has them. And Jeff Scott was a high school HC that won a HS championship....

Nov 28, 2014, 10:34 PM

Welp it looks like I'll be a SMU fan now. Just like i was a Razorback fan while Danny Ford was there. Hate to see him go. He, Dabo ,& Bret V has done a wonderful thing here at Clemson. Makes me wonder what is in store for Clemson next season?

Heir Apparent

Nov 28, 2014, 10:34 PM

Everybody chill the heck out.

Brad Scott has been studying underneath Morris for the past 3 years. He may even have a few new ideas. If The Chad leaves, we're good.

Thanks, Chad!

Nov 28, 2014, 10:49 PM

We couldn't have got to this point without you. But we can handle it from here.

Honestly, three years ago, this was innovative. Now a lot of teams are doing it, and several are doing it better. Morris deserves a lot of credit, but I say, "Onward and upward."

Nov 28, 2014, 11:26 PM

Honestly, I thought he could do better than SMU in the AAC. I know he's a Texas man, but SMU? How tough will recruiting be when you're not in one of the 5 major conferences. I guess if the bar is set low, any significant improvement could impress a school at the next level. I wish you well, Chad! Thanks for all you've done for our Tigers!

Nov 29, 2014, 6:11 AM

Agreed re choice is questionable if he goes to SMU. If Chad cares about fan attendance to support his team, he ought to check the figures, not just the cash. For at least the past 3 years, tailgating SMU style meant that the fans went and hung around outside but never went inside. SMU homecoming in 2012 was apparently a good example.

i get going home and a raise, but if the environment isnt right, he may well regret going home... Especially based on what 2015 looks like here.

Nov 29, 2014, 8:45 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Report: Morris agrees in principle with SMU ]

I think if he was going to leave Texas Tech would have been the Job he should have went after last year. But leaving Clemson now with the weapons coming in to go to a school he will have to completely rebuild is crazy..

Jeff Scott, come on down!

Nov 28, 2014, 11:29 PM

You're the next contestant on the price is right, however, that price will not be seven figures a year.

Nov 29, 2014, 12:08 AM

I am going to say this is the perfect situation for Coach Morris. Takes him back to Texas, puts him in a small market, gives him the opportunity to go, and most importantly, he doesn't need to leave the state to recruit. Hey, help us roast some bird tomorrow and we will send you out in style coach! Thank you for coming through. Take care and Go Tigers!

Happy to see him go. Never thought he was "ALL IN"

Nov 29, 2014, 6:11 AM

Maybe we can get someone who knows how and when to change as the game changes. When DW was took out of the GA game sealed his fate for me

I'm happy for Coach Morris

Nov 29, 2014, 6:43 AM

I think this is a great job for him. I'm sure he wanted to land in Texas. And I think working to turn the SMU program around will be a lot more satisfying than going somewhere like Texas where the expectations currently exceed the talent. Good for CCM.

Replies: 71
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic