Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
James Davis...... whatever happened to him?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

James Davis...... whatever happened to him?

Jul 28, 2015, 8:53 AM

im watching the 2008 usuck game and i realized i havent heard his name in a while. the announcer says that "there is no doubt" that james would be an every down back in the nfl, yet as i understand it, he never really succeeded in the pros. Where is he now?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: James Davis...... whatever happened to him?

Jul 28, 2015, 9:00 AM

He was on the Detroit Lions practice squad for a while. Haven't heard anything since.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 28, 2015, 9:02 AM

James has NFL power , but his speed was always sub-par ...especially at the pro level .
I loved that guy though . He ran tough and ran with a purpose on every play . Was also an excellent pass protector.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

he was at Death Valley last November

Jul 28, 2015, 9:09 AM

NOT pulling for his brother....

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mike be hatin'

Jul 28, 2015, 9:12 AM

LOL

-Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Jul 28, 2015, 9:11 AM

I don't know where James is now but his NFL career was derailed quite early when he injured his shoulder in his first training camp. I always thought James had a legit shot but his nagging shoulder problems that carried over from his days as a Tiger was too much to overcome.

He completely mishandled his situation in Washington....

Jul 28, 2015, 9:20 AM

when he abruptly and without notifying anyone, left the teams training/practice facility because he was upset over his playing time. The following day, he was placed on reserve/left squad. He requested and was granted his release a week later. This and his injuries really hurt his stock with NFL teams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: He completely mishandled his situation in Washington....

Jul 28, 2015, 9:55 AM

I don't remember the details, but I think the way he handled his shoulder injury with the Browns made a lot of teams stay away as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Jul 28, 2015, 10:00 AM

That's completely untrue. He was injured in what amounts to a hazing incident forcing a rookie to run contact drills without pads. The coaching staff was fined substantially by the NFL. To my knowledge James never sought any compensation for the incident which in hindsight, based on how it affected his career, he most certainly should have.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 28, 2015, 10:02 AM

Exactly

Jul 28, 2015, 10:25 AM [ in reply to Re: He completely mishandled his situation in Washington.... ]

Yes he was injured in a rookie hazing. I was surprised he never filed an action against the Browns. Impacted his career undoubtably.

he must had the same docs that willie korn had. ;)***

Jul 28, 2015, 9:37 AM [ in reply to Re: James Davis...... whatever happened to him? ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FAT TAX NOW!

Jul 28, 2015, 10:06 AM

After he messed his shoulder up vs NCSt he was never the same. He had good numbers after the injury but before it he was a beast.

^^This

Jul 28, 2015, 11:27 AM

I don't believe he was every fully healthy after the shoulder injury. Still a proud Clemson representative. One of my favorite backs.

Re: ^^This

Jul 28, 2015, 11:31 AM

Yes if my memory is correct he had about 100 yards early in the first half of that game. He was running over people and looked to be one of best in the country. He just never was as good and kept aggravating the injury.

No, he broke his hand on a Thursday night at NCSU as a FR

Jul 28, 2015, 12:39 PM [ in reply to Re: James Davis...... whatever happened to him? ]

and fully recovered...He hurt his shoulder as a SO vs GT and was never the same, partially because he waited until the spring before his SR year to have it operated on.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 28, 2015, 3:00 PM

I hate to say this but the announcers always give the players the highest compliments. An announcer talking bad about an athelete will not last.

I thought JD was a very good back but an everyday NFL type back, I wasn't sure.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 28, 2015, 5:59 PM

> I hate to say this but the announcers always give the
> players the highest compliments. An announcer
> talking bad about an athelete will not last.
>
> I thought JD was a very good back but an everyday NFL
> type back, I wasn't sure.

He was NFL all the way. His shoulder did him in. He was never really the same for us after he got that "stinger" - what an inadequate word, it was major nerve damage - against Georgia Tech, but he kept playing through it.

Then the Browns messed him up with that hazing incident, and a serious injury became a debilitating one, and that was pretty much that.

Which is tough. But I will never, ever denigrate his talent...or his heart, or the impact JD had on Clemson. In my mind, he was the first of our "super-recruits", one of those instant-impact, program-changing guys like CJ Spiller, Sammy Watkins, or Deshaun Watson. He had offers from almost everybody...but he chose to come to Clemson, he chose to stay all four years, he left it all out on the field, and because of his presence and the impact he had, Clemson became a "legit" destination for elite players again.

He had as much to do as anybody with pulling Clemson out of our 1990's/early-2000's slump.

I really admire JD, and he doesn't get nearly his due from us, IMHO.

Jul 28, 2015, 7:24 PM

quozzel, you are spot on. JD is a Clemson legend.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good post Quozzel

Jul 29, 2015, 12:47 AM [ in reply to Re: James Davis...... whatever happened to him? ]

I completely agree about him being the first of our "super recruits". If it wasn't for him, there is a very high possibility that we wouldn't of got Spiller and Spiller was the one who really opened a lot of doors for us with recruiting especially in FL. I hate that he didn't have a successful career in the NFL but i hope he left knowing he gave 100%. I would love to see him back on our staff in some kind of way in the future.

Jul 29, 2015, 8:27 AM [ in reply to Re: James Davis...... whatever happened to him? ]

Strong points. TU!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Victim of NFL hazing

Jul 28, 2015, 3:09 PM

He was tackled by a guy wearing pads while he was wearing none as an "initiation" his rookie year.

Happened a week or two after he ran for an 81 yard TD in a preseason game against Detroit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VyLUH7dht4

He was wearing #28

Jul 29, 2015, 12:52 AM

He looked a lot like Spiller in that run also, good speed and making guys miss. Sucks he had nagging injuries that forced him to quit football. He was a solid RB and imo, would still be playing if it wasn't for the injuries

Re: He was wearing #28

Jul 29, 2015, 9:11 AM

I don't know if he'd still be playing, the average shelf life of an NFL RB is pretty short, but he would've had a decent career for sure.

I'll never forget seeing him rip the noles - love the dude

Jul 29, 2015, 1:41 AM

and as Quoz said --- he brough us back

without him not sure we would have landed spiller

Great player

null

I had him on the show in December. Here is

Jul 29, 2015, 1:57 AM

The post and audio: http://www.tigernet.com/update/player/Clemson-Sports-Talk-interview-James-Davis-18095

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgtnt_user_logo.pngbadge-ringofhonor-elswann.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic