Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Its amazing how split this board was after Dabo was hired
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Its amazing how split this board was after Dabo was hired

Oct 9, 2018, 3:02 PM

And all those dumpers either got new handles, owned they were wrong, or left. I think WVU was the last chance the dumpers had, and though we've had some losses, this team has been something special for quite a while now.

Not knocking any folks, its just amazing how far we've come as a program and fanbase. What a fun ride!

Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Its amazing how split this board was after Dabo was hired

Oct 9, 2018, 3:15 PM

What has amazed me is how if you'd have asked people for their best realistic hopes for the program he has far exceeded those.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^This^^^****

Oct 9, 2018, 3:17 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

After the 2010 season when so many here were squealing like

Oct 9, 2018, 3:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Its amazing how split this board was after Dabo was hired ]

little "Deliverance" pigs for him to be fired, I asked a simple question:

Five years from now, (that would have been 2015 for English majors like me) would you rather see your team being coached by Dabo Swinney or would you rather see your team play against a team being coached by Dabo Swinney?

I got very few answers but the ones who did answer were mostly just insulting without answering the question. Between this week in 2008 and the 2010 season, I watched Dabo make TONS of mistakes. What stood out to me, though, was that he almost never repeated one. I had a strong feeling then that after 5 years of OJT, no one would want to play a Dabo coached team. I believe history has proved that to be correct.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 9, 2018, 11:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Its amazing how split this board was after Dabo was hired ]

I had a feeling Dabo would do well with his reputation as a recruiter however my expectations were eight or nine Wins a year with once every three or four years winning possibly 10 games and contending for an acc title what he has done has been nothing short of amazing and beyond my wildest expectations

What's your point?

Oct 9, 2018, 3:23 PM

When Dabo was hired he was an Unknown wide receivers Coach. Based on resume you don't make that hire here. Terry Don knew a winner when he saw one. He had been around the guy and got a sense of what he was all about. Given what was known I'm not sure a better hire has ever been made. If you weren't sceptical at the time though then you weren't using your head. Frankly most of you guys on here are the perfect definition of fan. You're fanatical and don't use your noggin at all and get angry as hell with those who do.

Just recalling how it was, not necessarily making a point other than how great

Oct 9, 2018, 3:44 PM

it is to have him and how far we've come under him. I also don't miss the divisiveness that was here.

Honestly I try to always take a wait and see approach. I wasn't in position to criticize the hire, so I didn't. Just like with qbs this year, I wasn't in practice, so I didn't comment on who should start/play. So I don't agree that fans need be illogical or fanatical all the time, but whatever works for you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Just recalling how it was, not necessarily making a point other than how great

Oct 9, 2018, 4:16 PM

I'm not attacking you personally in fact my point is unless someone is really being an ####### differing opinions should be respected. I find that members of this board very often can't hack reading the slightest suggestion that Clemson should do anything differently. I guess it's your use of the term "dummpers" that catches my attention. That terms sounds like someone that is anti-Clemson and actively seeking to do harm. This is very..very seldom the case and this cult like attitude does harm to the quality of the conversation on the board.

It was the "Pumper/Dumper" period. There were many fomks who vehemently

Oct 9, 2018, 7:31 PM

opposed the hiring. There were those who were patiently optimistic. Most folks were probably the vocal minority of somewhere in between.. but it was vey split. I'm also not assigning connotations, but everyone was seemingly referred to as one or the other.

null

That's understandable since we.............

Oct 9, 2018, 3:25 PM

were coming off the Tommy Bowden disaster and the fact the DS hadn't ever even been an OC or DC - he was a completely unknown factor. Nobody had a crystal ball to see how good things would turn out.

For sure.. though the hate did go on for a while.***

Oct 9, 2018, 3:48 PM

null

I think people were scared that we had traded one problem...

Oct 9, 2018, 4:00 PM

for another - were unhappy/angry that we didn't go after a proven big-name coach.

Oct 9, 2018, 3:29 PM

I was cautiously optimistic of the Dabo hire. I, like many others on the boards, wanted a big name hire. I wanted a proven commodity with a track record of success.

Thank you Dabo for proving me wrong! There couldn't have been a better fit for our program. Nobody expected the level of results we have gotten. It's amazing to think about.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As I recall

Oct 9, 2018, 3:34 PM

The popular vote was for the DC at Texas. I think he went on to coach at Florida and Dumpster U.

And make we could get big Ralph Friegen :)***

Oct 9, 2018, 3:47 PM

null

I believe I was screaming for Gary Patterson at the time Bowden got fired. Looks like I was wrong like most of us.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sig-1

Oct 9, 2018, 7:04 PM

I as well wanted Gary Patterson. I didn't like the hire of a wide receiver coach hand picked by Coach Bowden that didn't even have coordinator experience. Glad I didn't have a vote as I would not want anyone (even nick) to be Clemson's head coach. Winning is probably not even first on the list.

Oct 9, 2018, 9:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Its amazing how split this board was after Dabo was hired ]

I too wanted Gary Patterson of TCU. Based upon his level of accomplishments he would have been a sound, indeed excellent hire, but we simply could not afford him due to paying Bowden’s contract among other needs.

Dabo was a smart, but safe hire that turned out brilliantly for TDP and Clemson. I admit I was among those who had second thoughts along the way, but the last five years have shown us all what it takes to build a nationally elite program out of a historically good regional one.

Go Tigers ??!!

I remember I thought it was a great hire...

GWPTiger® and RenegadeTiger® thought it was a terrible hire, and probably still do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

History will prove us right.***

Oct 9, 2018, 4:04 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

In all honesty

Oct 9, 2018, 7:22 PM

Having attended and graduated in the mid-90’s during some rather dark times, I have to admit I was part of the conventional wisdom as well.

For so many years, Clemson alum, fans, and even those who actually made decisions within the program articulated just that. We need a big name coach, someone who’ll garner national attention. I even remember some aspiring to hire Bill Cowher for god sakes!! Kar Par!! (That could have been really interesting by the way, but digress.)

Not many in the Clemson family whose last names aren’t Phillips or Swinney believed in the mission statement or that it was even possible.

Not only did they believe, Dabo had a formula for it.

Not JUST words or grandiose platitudes, but also a coherent plan for it. For many of at the time, his vision and approach For the program was completely foriegn, almost unimaginable.

His dreams were bigger than many of ours, and now he’s not only rebuilt Clemson, he’s created something all new and special. It’s not Alabama, OHST, etc. It’s Clemson-

I’m not afraid or ashamed to admit I was wrong here, and boy am I happy for it!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 9, 2018, 7:29 PM

Okay - I've gone to Confession 5 times already, so stop bringing it up already.

I'm not Catholic, so it didn't count. :)

Oct 9, 2018, 7:29 PM

I am glad I was wrong and admit it. I never said he was a bad coach. I simply felt he was not the best coach available at the time. I am glad I was wrong.

Oct 9, 2018, 7:53 PM

soywaker® said:

And all those dumpers either got new handles, owned they were wrong, or left. I think WVU was the last chance the dumpers had, and though we've had some losses, this team has been something special for quite a while now.

Not knocking any folks, its just amazing how far we've come as a program and fanbase. What a fun ride!

Go Tigers!!

I'm guilty. I was not a fan od Dabo at first. I was with the upset crowd that we didn't use the money to hire someone proven. Man how wrong was I.

Oct 9, 2018, 8:25 PM

Yep, I was one of the why did we hire a salesman. I wanted, cough cough, Will Muschamp. Boy was I a complete dumb butt. Glade I was wrong.

Oct 9, 2018, 9:18 PM

I didn't exist then , but I would have been in the wrong on TNet if I had been .
I felt like it was a huge reach ... and though I liked Dabo Swinney and thought he did an admirable job as an interim I wanted the administration to make a splash hire .
I have been wrong a lot in my life ... even as recently as today .
So glad that he was retained . He's done swimmingly ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Where, O where is Blue Caddy tonight?

Oct 9, 2018, 9:59 PM

Why did he leave us
Here on the nets?
I searched this site over
And all I found's Dabo,
We won the Natty then
Pfffft! He was gone.

Message was edited by: wildblulou®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Where, O where is Blue Caddy tonight?

Oct 9, 2018, 10:06 PM

Dabo is a gem. Bowden knew it when he offered him the job in 2002 to come in and coach the WR and be recruiting coordinator after Stock-still left.

But Brad Scott is the last coach (now administrator) left from that 1999 team. And in 1999, Streeter was the QB, and Jeff Scott was a true freshman holder (or he might have redshirted). I'm not super connected, but when Bowden was let go, I think it was Brad Scott that pushed the hardest for Dabo to get his shot.

And I will never doubt that Dabo was one of the greatest hires.... I think Brad Scott is the Wizard of Oz pulling strings from behind the curtain that brought this program to where it is today. We never would have got CJ Spiller or Watkins if it wasn't for Brad Scott's relationships with FL high school coaches from his days of being the OC and recruiting coordinator at FSU under Bobby Bowden.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Viva la Brad.

Oct 9, 2018, 10:18 PM

One Clemson.

Oct 9, 2018, 11:16 PM

I was also in the crowd that thought Dabo was under qualified. We needed a proven coach. I think Lane Kiffens name was brought up to.

Boy we really dodged some bullets. I have admitted several times that I enjoy eating the tasty crow.

I am so proud of not only the winning but the culture Dabo has put in place. TDP knew he was getting a great leader.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought I made an error once, but I was wrong

Oct 9, 2018, 11:45 PM

I was cautiously optimistic. I thought he did an ok job as interim and at least deserved a shot, for maybe for a year or two. But man what a surprise. It has been amazing to watch him grow. In my opinion he came in with 3 aces...integrity, vision, and flexibility. How many times through the years has he made the University proud...just always seems to be doing or saying the right thing.

He knew in his mind, long before most of us, what he wanted this program to be. Like someone else said ,we are not Bama, or OSU, or Oklahoma, thankfully. He has proven you can win in a totally different way than they have, and in my opinion, a better way. And he didn't stagnate. Got a problem? Fix it. Bad offense? Fix it. Bad Defense? Fix it. He has shown no hesitation at all to course correct when needed. As one of my old Architecture professors said...You don't have to know everything, you just have to know the people who do. Dabo surely doesn't know everything, but he knows if the program is off course in whatever way he fixes it.

So despite the 5 hearts, and the one star legacies, and his tinkering, and some roster stuff, I don't think anyone can argue too much with the results, and more importantly the culture. Is there any school more proud of their culture than us? Makes me smile every time I see our guys having a great time on the sideline, and other teams brooding under the boss's boot on theirs.

The Dabo Hire

Oct 10, 2018, 12:11 AM

It amazes me how many people claim to have supported Dabo on day 1 and every day since then.
It reminds me of an old Tommy Bowden story: Bowden was speaking to the 1981 National Champion Tiger football team at their 20th reunion. Coach Bowden said, "I am surprised that so few of you are here today. I swear I have met at least 300 guys who claim to have played on your team."

Like everyone else, I am just blown away by how tremendous Coach Swinney has been in every aspect of his job. He is sensational at everything big and small. I intend to enjoy every minute he is front and center representing Clemson. Dabo has my complete support and loyalty and I plan to show my support in every word and deed as a fan of Clemson University.

I was not sure when Dabo was hired that he was the guy. I thought that if he was the guy, then even as a WR coach, he'd have been able to make a bigger impact on who Tommy Bowden's teams were. I was a doubter at first. In fact, I was unsure that Dabo was the guy when I watched USF beat us in the Belk Bowl in Charlotte. We did not look good that year and we certainly did not look good in that game. And that was Coach Swinney's 34th game as our head coach. I was still unsure.

After that loss to South Florida, we were 19-15 under Dabo. We'd lost 3 times to GT and twice to SC. We had lost to a 2-10 Maryland team. Those of you who knew we were headed for glory after the loss to a South Florida team that had 5 losses had much a much better view of the future than I did.

Hey, I am confessing here. I did not see the greatness coming. I had no idea that evening when I left the loss to South Florida that we would win 10 games a year, EVERY YEAR since that point. I did not see a BCS Bowl coming. I did not see wins over LSU, 4 over Auburn, 2 over Ohio State, 2 over Oklahoma, or a Natty on the way. I just didn't see it coming.

In a way, I think because I didn't see it coming, it was sweeter than imaginable when it got here.

Thanks Coach Swinney. You're the best. Thanks for everything.

And a special congratulations to those of you who knew all along Dabo was the man,that he'd be the one.
You guys should visit Vegas regularly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had no idea if Dabo was the right hire or not.

Oct 10, 2018, 2:42 AM

Truly. Hope my post didn't come off that way. I liked what he had to say and how he said it, and that meant a lot, but i never knew he'd be 70% of what he is now and where this program is.
I just thought it was an interesting time to recollect...

null

Oct 10, 2018, 1:02 AM

Just a clarifying question please. Dabo was made interim in Oct 2008 and hired as the permanent HC in Dec 2008. If your join date was 11/15/09, how do you know what the board was like when Dabo was hired?

I've been around here since, was it thetigernet or tigernet2.. whatever..

Oct 10, 2018, 2:39 AM

I read the boards starting I think in 2001 (though may have been a couple years later), having graduated from Clemson in 2000 and then working at West Oak High School in 2001-2002.
I enjoyed reading, but the internet was still new and the whole social media (before it had a name) was something I found interesting to read but not partake in.
It wasn't until I moved out to CA and was so homesick for Clemson talk that I joined.

Bluecaddy was a blast from the past. Tried to remember some other hamdles but I don't. Wasn't there a trooper something or other?

null

It's not that odd at all.

Oct 10, 2018, 3:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Its amazing how split this board was after Dabo was hired ]

I have been on this site since it was like 1997 or so, not as often back then though. It wasn't until the other board on Rivals went dead until I decided to register for an account here.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic