Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Notre Dame football to ACC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Notre Dame football to ACC

Nov 11, 2019, 10:34 PM

If Notre Dame were to ever join the ACC in football, which other team should the ACC pursue. My thoughts were Notre Dame to the Costal thus there would be two somewhat previously nationally respected teams on that side (Miami)and two on the atlantic side (us and FSU). My thoughts for the other team added to the Atlantic side would be App St. Just think what that school could do with the amount of money they would receive from the conference affiliation. I donot know much about App St or what other potential additions there could be but they would certainly make a better addition that usc. I could see them being just as good in football at least as Duke.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t see App State being competitive in many sports against ACC competition.

Nov 11, 2019, 10:39 PM

I also don’t think they add anything academically either.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Notre Dame and Navy***

Nov 11, 2019, 10:40 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Notre Dame and Navy***

Nov 11, 2019, 10:43 PM

... raising my eyebrow in your direction.

An interesting idea.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

Imagine road games to Annapolis. The atmosphere is

Nov 11, 2019, 10:44 PM

incredible.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It would be a fun trip, but no way Navy can recruit ACC caliber athletes.

Nov 11, 2019, 10:49 PM

The service requirement after school would keep them from getting the athletes to seriously compete in many sports.

And as hard as it would be for them in men’s sports, it would be even more difficult in women’s sports.

As much as I love the Naval Academy and what it stands for, I just don’t see how it could work for them to be in a major conference. Too many barriers to success for them.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

You might be right but they would be a nice addition.

Nov 11, 2019, 10:52 PM

I'm not sure they would be any worse than they are now being in the AAC.

Re: You might be right but they would be a nice addition.

Nov 11, 2019, 11:17 PM

Great Military Appreciation week game.

Notre Dame would be made our permanent cross division rival, of course.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: It would be a fun trip, but no way Navy can recruit ACC caliber athletes.

Nov 12, 2019, 7:46 AM [ in reply to It would be a fun trip, but no way Navy can recruit ACC caliber athletes. ]

I will agree with you Judge that their particular service nature would be a challenge in the current climate but at one time it was also an advantage. So I would not say that their service requirements would always be a hindrance.

Still, consider that much of the ACC has its own disadvantages. Wake's size and geographical positioning. GT's own academic offerings, NC State being NC State, Dukes non-basketball scale, BC's region and basically, the athletic decline of the north east corridor (at least since the 50s-80s).

The ACC is, outside of the "new addition" private triangle of Texas, the only school that potentially allows non-gigantic public schools or large endowment private schools at least some competitive level of play.

All of a sudden, adding Army/Navy makes sense. Better yet, they fit the geography of the conference and conform to higher academic standards. The academic side may be a bigger factor than athletics, or at least historically for the ACC. It was a reason we pegged BC/Miami before VT. Pitt & Cuse before UL and why we will never consider WVU.

Finally, take the SEC for an example. You don't add "teams" to be in the upper level of competition. The ACC has learned that the hard way with the decline of Miami. The SEC added a few bottom dwellers (Coots, Arky, semi-Mizzou-their BC) and a few also rans (A&M). The goal is that they will just pad the elite teams W column, and if they have a good year, it makes the conference look stronger. Bad year and no one cares.

It's all about TV markets - and App State has zero TV market

Nov 11, 2019, 10:46 PM

If you have to add somebody it's more likely a Cincinnati or Houston; poaching a school like Texas or Kentucky is a small possibility but about as likely as Notre Dame ever joining in football.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A few years ago GoTigerz explained why Navy is the clear

Nov 11, 2019, 10:46 PM

choice....They play Notre Dame every year already. He had it all mapped out with the ACC have 4 pods of 4 teams each. It was a great plan. I will try to get him to post it on here again. It is much better than any of the morons in the ACC office thought of by a long shot...

Re: Notre Dame football to ACC

Nov 11, 2019, 10:51 PM

I say kick out a team!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Which one leaves the island? LOL***

Nov 11, 2019, 10:54 PM

Re: Which one leaves the island? LOL***

Nov 11, 2019, 11:20 PM

Loserville.

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Wake leaving in a few years wouldn't surprise me at all***

Nov 11, 2019, 10:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Notre Dame football to ACC ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Notre Dame + Penn State***

Nov 11, 2019, 11:31 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2019, 12:22 AM

ACC already has too many teams. Don’t add anymore. We already only play our old ACC foes UNC, UVa and Duke once every six years. We don’t need to make that even worse.

And all the options listed an unappealing.

Nov 12, 2019, 1:58 AM

Add Memphis. Good in football and MBB.
Big TV market in a state where the ACC has no current footprint.

Drop the FCS game, and add a 9th ACC game.

We have no chance of getting Penn State.
App. State makes zero sense...too small, zero TV market in Boone.

Nov 12, 2019, 7:03 AM

Memphis has WAY too many NCAA problems historically. That is not the kind of program that belongs in the ACC. I'd rather see UConn than them.

Nov 12, 2019, 12:42 AM

Don't let ND into the ACC in football. That way they have to go 12-0 just to sniff the CFP. Their program will continue in a downward spiral and end in a blazing flame of glory. Poetic justice served ice cold.

Nov 12, 2019, 2:21 AM

Navy doesnt move the needle athletically one bit. It would add no more credibility to the league in football and add nothing in basketball. Spring outside sports in Annapolis wouldn't be any fun either.

Since the last expansion of Louisville etc, that proved we'll take anyone regardless of academics. Best play would be to poach a West Virginia (they would jump in a heartbeat) and add some credibility on the athletics side. 2nd choice would be a UCF. My #1 (while probably improbable )long shot is Penn State.

Nov 12, 2019, 3:20 AM

Penn State...end of story.

No great options, but the only logical go-to would be West Virginia

Nov 12, 2019, 3:29 AM

Though they might harbor some resentment toward the ACC because of previous snubs, I suspect WVU wouldn't hesitate to make the jump if approached. For them the upside would be huge - getting to play teams in their own region, renewal of rivalries with Pitt & VaTech, likely increase in attendance, being in a stable conference whose future is more assured. Even if the ACC payout is presently lower than the Big 12, the pluses ought to outweigh the minuses.

For the ACC, really the only tangible downside is that their state is a small teevee market. But within the state, they do have an avid fan following. They can fill their stadium & they travel exceptionally well. They would bring a winning football tradition, & right now the ACC desperately needs credibility in football. They would also be a net gain in basketball, considering their multiple Final Four appearances & regular NCAA tournament berths.

For my part, I don't buy this BS that WVU is somehow subatandard academically. The ACC is a healthy mix of elite private schools, church-affiliated schools, land-grant universities & so-called state "flagship" schools. All have their individual missions & niches within the higher-education industry. What the ACC needs is more football prestige, not more "academic" prestige.

Re: No great options, but the only logical go-to would be West Virginia

Nov 12, 2019, 7:35 AM

Agreed, plus anyjuan ever had a bj from a toothless girl? If you had you would be a WV fan

Re: No great options, but the only logical go-to would be West Virginia

Nov 12, 2019, 8:42 AM

I can only hope that you are NOT speaking from experience.

Nov 12, 2019, 4:29 AM

Cincinnati or Memphis, they are strong in both football and basketball

Nov 12, 2019, 6:52 AM

Cincinnati would get the nod long before Memphis, because it's a far better school academically.

I've made this comment before, but there's no way the ACC takes another academic backwater. Louisville was our first and only experiment there, and it hasn't turned out too well so far, what with all the scandal there.

Memphis is definitely a backwater. Cincinnati and UConn are the only schools you'll see in the foreseeable future considered to balance an unlikely ND entry into ACC football. UCF, USF, WVA, Memphis, whatever--all lesser-quality academics, with no chance with the ACC presidents, who have to approve new members.

Interesting discussion. I wouldn't be surprised to see

Nov 12, 2019, 6:05 AM

a gradual expansion into super-conferences of 20 teams with four subdivisions.

We now stand at 14 members, and in the above scenario I believe the ACC would have to become extremely aggressive. I didn't like the elitist snub of West Virginia in our earlier expansion, when we invited VT and Pitt, the latter being WVU's longtime rival. Hence, the Mountaineers would be my second after Notre Dame to go after, leaving four to invite. That's when the full court press should be made to the following: Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan State...with no offense meant toward other B1G programs...unless, of course, we have to meet them on the gridiron. (lol)

On a side note I know the prevailing attitude toward Maryland, but the Terps were a worthy opponent for many years and stood solidly (as did Wake) in support of Clemson in that travesty committed by the ACC in the 80's against us. I remain convinced to this day that Wake and UMD only relented from undue pressure, perhaps even threats, from the ACC office. Maryland has had its problems, but they are in the wrong conference and should have not left the ACC...and Clemson should have risen to their defense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Interesting discussion. I wouldn't be surprised to see

Nov 12, 2019, 6:36 AM

Change of subject somewhat. But would you be kind enough to explain what the ACC did to Clemson in the 80s. Always looking for a history lesson. Thanks in advance.

Nov 12, 2019, 7:14 AM

1. Why do people keep mentioning Penn Stare? Do people really think they would leave the Big 10? If so, why?

2. Thoughts about Temple?

Nov 12, 2019, 7:14 AM

1. Why do people keep mentioning Penn Stare? Do people really think they would leave the Big 10? If so, why?

2. Thoughts about Temple?

Nov 12, 2019, 7:24 AM

If we have to add another school, let's add Navy. They have the academic standards the ACC wants, have more football tradition than 75% of the teams already in the conference, and already have an established rivarly with ND. And let's not forget the Army- Navy game is one of the most watched games of the year. Plus they are a national brand. Maybe not a blue blood but people pay attention to the academy schools. The rest of the sports stink but lets face it..... Navy will get plenty of attention during the fall to merit adding them.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Penn State PERIOD END OF DISCUSSION !!!!***

Nov 12, 2019, 8:19 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic