Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I am fooked.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 490

I am fooked.

May 29, 2018, 11:45 AM

Rivals doesn't like the geographical location of my ISP over here in the UK. I cannot look at FGF for light reading anymore. Also, Netflix and Amazon Prime greatly limit their programming to the UK, even if you are a US member of their programs.

International copyrights, or something.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Every man is my superior, in that I may learn something from him."

I had to switch my VPN to some place other than Europe

May 29, 2018, 11:47 AM

If I use a VPN in Europe, every freaking website you go to has all this privacy crap that pops up asking you for your preferences, etc. Annoying as heck.

VPN in Ecuador right now and all is well again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How does one acquire an Ecuadorean VPN,

May 29, 2018, 11:58 AM

might I ask?

Sounds a bit dodgy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

someone on the mange poasted a 'free' (albeit, limited) VPN

May 29, 2018, 12:08 PM

the other day....WindScribe. I downloaded it on my ipad to watch teh beisbol game since it was blacked out locally on WatchESPN.

You get 10GBs a month, and can select from only a handful of locations (not sure if ecuador is available, specifically)....but free is free, and it worked. I've never used a VPN before - seemed slow and buffered more than usual, but that might be normal

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Every VPN connection that I have ever had for work was

May 29, 2018, 12:14 PM

as slow as molasses.

I went with Norde VPN

May 29, 2018, 3:33 PM [ in reply to someone on the mange poasted a 'free' (albeit, limited) VPN ]

Like $5 a month. Download one movie torrent and you've paid for it for half a year. You can pick from thousands of servers in countries all over the world.

Not super fast, but can usually get around 1-2MB/sec on the download speeds.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm wondering how this works.

May 29, 2018, 3:37 PM

VPN, by definition is a point to point set up. Typically, there is the same type of VPN "client" on both ends. If your are VPN'ing into Norde's gateway, I get that is secure as both are using the same VPN. But from their demarc to wherever you are ultimately connecting...where is that security, and VPN, unless the final end point is allowing and supporting VPN connections And if it were, why would you need a Norde middleman)?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a secure and encrypted connection from your PC

May 29, 2018, 4:02 PM

to their server. From there, they handle the DNS query and the connection and transmission (ssl or not, just like the regular internet). The point of it is to obscure your IP from the destination server. Now they (VPN) can technically see your every connection, but they essentially become your ISP. Then, depending on the country, they can not be subpoenaed, and if they are, they keep no logs, so there's that.

So if you want to download a movie or MP3 music, you can do it through the VPN and the IP the end user sees is their IP and not yours. So when the RIAA or whoever sees "your" IP on bittorrent, or whatever, downloading a movie, they see the VPN's IP, not yours. They subpoena the VPN and that gets nowhere. You can also get around IP blocks this way if you're in a country where internet is controlled. You can also watch Clemson games on Sling that are blacked out for your area.

And you can go even further and add tor to the mix and then use tor through a vpn and it's even harder to trace, like impossible really. The key is to find a VPN in a foreign country that does not retain logs.

I use it mainly for downloading movies. The RIAA sits out there and monitors IP's sharing and downloading movies. They have an automated system, really, to harvest those IP addresses and then then send subpoenas to the ISP. The ISP usually sends a nasty warning letter to the user, and if the infringement continues, they can cut their internet. VPN prevents them from subpoenaing your ISP.

You install their software and your entire network and internet connection is encrypted. Your ISP doesn't even see your connection to their server because they do the DNS lookup. It doesn't even show up on your router logs as a connection.

So as I described, its only secure to their server.

May 29, 2018, 8:31 PM

Past that, and its just an open connection to the destination.

That really does nothing for security, as I'm sure they are logging every connection, and if anyone (ie a gov't entity) needed to know who was requesting info to any web site Norde connected, they would have to provide those logs.

Additionally, any aliasing or man in the middle attacks could still be carried out on the Norde to end web site connection. This is really the equivalent of kicking the can down the road, security wise.

That's about what I thought it was.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Look at you mate, talking all cockneyed

May 29, 2018, 4:05 PM [ in reply to How does one acquire an Ecuadorean VPN, ]

#####. Gonna have some bangers and mash too?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bless you for noticing that.

May 30, 2018, 3:46 AM

I still talk the same, but I do have to use the words in the context that they understand around here.

Hayull, I've eaten black pudding, haggis, f@ggots, etc after all this time over here.

Vave Patthews Nand

May 29, 2018, 11:47 AM

VPN

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^only post in whole thread i understood^^^***

May 29, 2018, 8:37 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL

May 30, 2018, 8:26 AM

I barely even understood my own....first time using a VPN after 'hearing' about them for years

Foreigners screw up everything.***

May 30, 2018, 10:29 AM

Replies: 14
| visibility 490
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic