Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is there anybody on this board honestly believe the coots had
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Is there anybody on this board honestly believe the coots had

May 29, 2019, 5:30 PM

a National Championship caliber team under Spurrier??? My opinion is that the poster responsible for the quote below was in coot dreamland.

Part of a post from FGF:

Gotta keep it in perspective, some of those 11-2 teams were national championship caliber if they had the proper dedication from the coaching staff. Here's quote that sums up the country club experience at USC.

Message was edited by: wueagle86®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah they were pretty close***

May 29, 2019, 5:32 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UGA close?

May 29, 2019, 8:18 PM

LOL...sorry, couldn't stop myself...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Has to be closer than that!***

May 29, 2019, 8:54 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are there anybody on this board honestly believe the coots had

May 29, 2019, 5:34 PM

They had a good team and beat some good teams in that period of time. When they needed to win to take things to the next level, Auburn took em to the woodshed, and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Their fans were a bit looney before that period, that just pushed them over the edge.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is there anybody on this board honestly believe the coots had

May 29, 2019, 6:01 PM

No. From what I can find, the three seasons would have been 2011-2013. The national champions those three years were Alabama (2) and Fla St. The Gamecocks had good teams but, the champions were playing at a different level. It also appears that we were favored to beat them one of the three years.

They where pretty close but I would say just outside NC

May 29, 2019, 6:11 PM

USuC had some solid teams but they never had a solid QB to lead all their talent. Garcia was the best and he was a dumpster fire that sobered up once a season for a solid outing.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They where pretty close

May 29, 2019, 6:28 PM

I think 2012 was their best shot. They laid an egg vs UF that cost them a spot in the SECCG (a game UGA gave Bama a scare in). I think whoever won the SEC that year beats 2012 ND.

In 2011 both LSU and Bama were too strong
In 2013 USCe was starting to have trouble vs the run late in the season. With that I don't think they could beat 2013 Auburn in the SECCG.

Re: They where pretty close

May 30, 2019, 7:43 AM

Agree. 2012 was their best shot. A lot is made of the 2010 team because they beat Bama and played in the SECCG. People forget SC was 5-3 in conference that year. They were the best mediocre team in a division of mediocre teams. Auburn proved that.

Pretty much the same as the last couple years

May 30, 2019, 8:31 AM

Georgia has been the best mediocre team in a division of mediocre teams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

"best" is a strong word...

May 30, 2019, 8:37 AM

I'd say they were the least mediocre team in a division of extremely mediocre teams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

If you're trying to imply that they'd have been the 3rd

May 30, 2019, 8:45 AM

best team in the ACC Coastal last year, then I agree.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Hmm...

May 30, 2019, 8:47 AM

Maybe, if the ball bounced their way a couple times.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

May 29, 2019, 6:21 PM

Na.

Just as sure of that as I am Jameous Winston is a complete dirt bag.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Their one chance was in 1984.

May 29, 2019, 7:10 PM

Go Navy!

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: Their one chance was in 1984.

May 29, 2019, 7:13 PM

Class of '09 thinks so hypothetically.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Their one chance was in 1984.

May 29, 2019, 7:24 PM [ in reply to Their one chance was in 1984. ]

Agree. I loved Tiger Band serenading them with "Anchors Away"!

Welp, the coaching staff IS part of the team, soooo....

May 29, 2019, 7:22 PM

NO! NOT CLOSE!!!

~JKB

May 29, 2019, 8:15 PM

National Championship caliber team?

they were 11-2 during one of those seasons? if so, then were they a squeak by 11-2 or were their wins based on solid performances? one poster here asserts they were not even close. while I surely dont know, 11-2 is pretty close to perfect.

the coots have long been delusional and they about three periods in the past which allow them the opportunity to live in the past. if they were really that good then happy for them- they sure as hell aren't anymore. And as for us, were certainly are and appear as though we will be for years into the future. so let them have a few brief moments in history upon which they will add to their current misery

May 29, 2019, 8:15 PM

National Championship caliber team?

they were 11-2 during one of those seasons? if so, then were they a squeak by 11-2 or were their wins based on solid performances? one poster here asserts they were not even close. while I surely dont know, 11-2 is pretty close to perfect.

the coots have long been delusional and they about three periods in the past which allow them the opportunity to live in the past. if they were really that good then happy for them- they sure as hell aren't anymore. And as for us, were certainly are and appear as though we will be for years into the future. so let them have a few brief moments in history upon which they will add to their current misery

May 29, 2019, 8:45 PM

No. During those years UofSC had a good, not great, team.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

didn't they finish 4th in the nation***

May 29, 2019, 9:11 PM

Re: didn't they finish 4th in the nation***

May 29, 2019, 10:44 PM

Yes, but they backed into that final ranking. If I remember correctly, they were ranked 8th going into the bowls. The coots then beat a barely ranked team in a 2nd tier bowl and 4-5 of the teams ahead of them lost their bowl games causing the coots to jump ahead of them in the final poll. Sure, the poll had them 4th, but in reality they were not the 4th best team in the country that year.

May 29, 2019, 10:44 PM [ in reply to didn't they finish 4th in the nation*** ]

Yes, but they backed into that final ranking. If I remember correctly, they were ranked 8th going into the bowls. The coots then beat a barely ranked team in a 2nd tier bowl and 4-5 of the teams ahead of them lost their bowl games causing the coots to jump ahead of them in the final poll. Sure, the poll had them 4th, but in reality they were not the 4th best team in the country that year.

May 29, 2019, 10:44 PM [ in reply to didn't they finish 4th in the nation*** ]

May 29, 2019, 11:51 PM

Bowl games that are not in the playoffs might just mean the other teams players that are likely draft picks might be sitting out the bowl game from fear of injury hurting their draft stock.

May 30, 2019, 6:57 AM

Not back then. That fad started with the CFP format.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 29, 2019, 10:22 PM

They have no trophy? If loosing some games is not proof you're not a championship caliber team any nobody can claim to be. A championship caliber team wins championships. If you don't win it, you're not championship caliber. There is no way to falsify such a claim if losses doesn't falsify it. I'd say they are not and they were never a championship caliber team. They could claim a perfect gamecock season under Holtz.

May 29, 2019, 10:40 PM

They did finish at #4 in 2013. You could argue it either way that season IMO. They were 11-2, and they lost on the road to Georgia by 11 in what was a 4 point game early in the 4th quarter. Their other loss was a 2 point loss to Tennessee on the road where Tennessee made a winning FG as time expired. Georgia was a really good team that year, but I think Tennessee ended up 7-5 or somewhere along there. They also had wins over Missouri who was ranked #5 at the time, Clemson who was ranked #6, and Wisconsin who was ranked #19.

On the other hand, they easily could've taken another 2-3 losses that year. They had a 10 point win over Vandy, 3 point win over UCF(I do think this was the year that UCF beat Baylor in a BCS Bowl to be fair) a 7 point win over Kentucky, a 3 point win in double overtime against Missouri, and a 5 point win over Florida.

To put it simply, no I don't think they were a NC level team that season which was the highest ranked team they had during that 3 year run. I do think they were very good, but I think they heavily benefited from the SEC being a dumpster fire at the time, which is supported by the fact that they played only 3 ranked teams during the regular season that year, and 1 of those teams was Clemson.

I will say though, that I don't think it's out of the ordinary for fans of any team that went 11-2 and finished ranked at #4 to look back and feel like as if they were close to winning it all.

May 29, 2019, 11:47 PM

If drunken bottle throwing becomes a sport they will win a Natty for sure, but that would be their only chance.

May 29, 2019, 11:55 PM

So if we take their best year (#4 in 2013) and compare it to the two championship teams for Clemson, then, no! They never were a championship caliber team!

2013 Coots: 11-2, Scored 443 points (34.08 per), allowed 264 points (20.3 per) for a difference of 13.77 points per game. Had one game where they scored more than 20 points more than a BCS opponent.

2018 Tigers: 15-0, Scored 664 points (44.27 per), allowed 197 points (13.33 per) for a difference of 31.33 points per game. Had 11 games where they scored 20 points more than BCS opponent.

2016 Tigers: 14-1, Scored 588 points (39.20, allowed 270 (18) for a difference of 21.2 points per game. Had 5 games where they outscored BCS opponent by 20 or more.

Second tier, at most.***

May 30, 2019, 7:26 AM

May 30, 2019, 9:01 AM

No. All three 11 win seasons were 10-2 regular season records and no 2 loss team deserves to be even in the conversation for a national championship. Great seasons with some really good wins but also enough bad losses to not even play for a SEC title.

May 30, 2019, 7:58 PM

I admire a SC fan who can give an honest assessment of their team. I did not think about that 11th Win actually being a bowl game win.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

possibly.....

May 30, 2019, 9:51 AM

the best money could buy for them, that is:
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/7863243/ncaa-cites-south-carolina-gamecocks-failure-monitor

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic