Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is Notre Dame the biggest home game ever?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Is Notre Dame the biggest home game ever?

Sep 25, 2015, 1:16 PM

I don't think it is as big as 2013 FSU home game where we were ranked 3 and they were 5. But I don't remember ticket prices being as high for that game as it is for Notre Dame. The first Bowden Bowl was a big game too.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One of the biggest. All those you list were big. I would

Sep 25, 2015, 1:18 PM

add 1988 FSU game where we were ranked #3 in the nation vs #10 FSU.

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is Notre Dame the biggest home game ever?

Sep 25, 2015, 1:23 PM

So you are saying a game in which we lost was "bigger" than the game in which we won the National Championship?

It WAS

Sep 25, 2015, 1:29 PM

38 years ago.

Times have changed.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Did we play that game AT HOME?***

Sep 25, 2015, 1:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Is Notre Dame the biggest home game ever? ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is Notre Dame the biggest home game ever?

Sep 25, 2015, 1:24 PM

The most anticipated game I can remember in my time is Georgia 2013.

It was the kick-off to the season so the hype machine got 9 months to spin, Gameday was announced far in advance, and it was an old rival that we hadn't played in a decade. I can't remember a game that received as much hype (granted, I'm not as old as some of you).

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Every South Carolina home game is bigger

Sep 25, 2015, 1:44 PM

for me personally.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes

Sep 25, 2015, 1:26 PM

Until November 7.

Ticket prices for Georgia were just as bad.

It isn't the game , it is the fan base. Nd fans are everywhere.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Yes

Sep 25, 2015, 1:41 PM

Georgia 2013 was pretty big and ticket prices were high. We had two extra tickets and were able to sell those and pay for our whole season's worth of tickets.

It's up there.

Sep 25, 2015, 1:32 PM

'88 FSU (remember they were not a usual opponent then and they had Deion); '81 UGA; '13 UGA; '77 ND - those are the closest comparisons, but this one is as big as you'll see.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's up there.

Sep 25, 2015, 2:08 PM

How can u not put FSU 2013 in there? That game had acc title and national title implications. Not to mention a matchup of 2 top five teams.

bc we play FSU all the time now

Sep 25, 2015, 6:32 PM

Yes that was a big game. A huge game implications wise, but not a special game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no..top 5, maybe..top 10, probably.

Sep 25, 2015, 1:36 PM

peeps less than 60 have no way of knowing. :)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

for Me..Biggest since UGA 1981***

Sep 25, 2015, 1:36 PM

In terms of national perception this game against The Golden

Sep 25, 2015, 1:49 PM

Domers is the biggest ever...

Too bad they've rented out The Esso along with the rest of our watering holes etc

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

They haven't rented out anything

Sep 25, 2015, 1:52 PM

Smoke and mirrors

Just like their team

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lol...Just lol***

Sep 25, 2015, 2:21 PM

Not as big as FSU 2 years ago and no bigger

Sep 25, 2015, 2:04 PM

than UGA the same year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not as big as FSU 2 years ago and no bigger

Sep 25, 2015, 2:26 PM

Agree there was more on the line against FSU in 13' but I think this one is bigger because of the attention Notre Dame brings, along with the fact they are not a common opponent, and it's a Top 10 match up.

FSU was a top 5 matchup***

Sep 25, 2015, 2:30 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FSU was a top 5 matchup***

Sep 25, 2015, 2:36 PM

You are correct - think we were #3 and they were #5.

I was at the game, and the one in 88' (most heartbreaking game I've ever attended along with GT in 04')

Just think this one is bigger because of Notre Dame and all the fanfare/bandwagon media coverage they always receive - whether deserved or not.

Pretty sure we were 3 and they were 5.***

Sep 25, 2015, 2:46 PM

Re: Pretty sure we were 3 and they were 5.***

Sep 25, 2015, 2:51 PM

That's correct. FSU in 2013 tops UGA in 2013. The hype is just multiplied because it had national title implications and we really could've vaulted ourself to the top. But that hype abruptly came to an end in about 1 quarter.

Matt Ryan's last minute trick play was a big one(I think it

Sep 25, 2015, 6:36 PM [ in reply to Not as big as FSU 2 years ago and no bigger ]

was him.) He pulled that trick play out of his #### in the last minute the game before too.

Those 2013 top 10 home games were huge.***

Sep 25, 2015, 11:40 PM [ in reply to Not as big as FSU 2 years ago and no bigger ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

no.... UGA 1981....

Sep 25, 2015, 2:57 PM

previous Heisman winner playing - Herschel Walker;

previous National Champions - UGA;

it was this win that effectively moved Clemson into the "National Championship" game against Nebraska - UGA only lost that one prior to their bowl game and would have played Nebraska instead had we lost to them.

Clemson - UGA may have been as big in importance as The Orange Bowl effectively...

that's in retrospect tho

Sep 25, 2015, 4:31 PM

At the time, we were coming off a 6-5 from the year before. The win was huge because we beat the defending champs. But at the time, I'm not sure too many people expected Clemson to make it a game.

obviously you were not there.....

Sep 25, 2015, 4:35 PM

even Herschel said he was intimidated by the atmosphere....

and I would have been too if 82,000 people screamed approval every time I got hit.

Even the later bowl game against Major Harris and WVU wasn't as dominating a defensive performance. There's never been a better defensive game by the Tigers.

it was like two Mack trucks playing chicken with each other for 3 hours and continually forgetting to dodge...

I would agree... except about the 82,000

Sep 25, 2015, 4:49 PM

Probably our biggest home win in history, considering what we accomplished afterwards adds to that game too.

But I dont think the pregame fanfare could have equaled this game against Notre Dame. Surely you didn't think that season was going to be that magical.

I say the Maryland game in 1981.

Sep 25, 2015, 4:36 PM [ in reply to no.... UGA 1981.... ]

I don't know how good Maryland was or anything, but losing that game would have derailed everything.

Anticipation does not exactly equal importance.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree +1***

Sep 25, 2015, 6:10 PM [ in reply to no.... UGA 1981.... ]

win over UGA in 79' I think? Big one also***

Sep 25, 2015, 6:13 PM

Yes. Until GT the following wk. UL was the most important game ever last week. App st the wk prior

Sep 25, 2015, 4:42 PM

See where I'm going with this. Only the one in front matters. Nameless, faceless foes paling in comparison to the game Clemson plays vs themselves, aka the weekly execution/energy/relentless/resilient bowl

This is close enough to my anticipation vs importance

Sep 25, 2015, 4:49 PM

theory for me to not hate it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and for me the bees will be bigger because not only are they

Sep 25, 2015, 5:58 PM [ in reply to Yes. Until GT the following wk. UL was the most important game ever last week. App st the wk prior ]

real rivals it actually counts in conference standings.

UGA 1981 no doubt the biggest game in the valley

Sep 25, 2015, 7:54 PM

there were zero tickets outside. There was a guy outside our gate saying he would give $100 a piece for tickets. A hundred bucks was about 12 hours work for me back then. People just gleefully smirked at the guy and walked on in. Anyone with tickets knew what we were about to witness. A beat down of the 1980 National champions. At that time it did not matter whether or not the Tigers would contend for the national title. Clemson owed them for the game in 1980 which the Tigers won on the field in Athens minus a couple of plays by a dude named Scott Warner. In hindsight that launched a new era in Clemson football. Clemson was no longer chasing the teams like Georgia and Georgia Tech. Clemson was just as good or better and now nationally known.

Now if Dabo and the boys win out and become the National Champs we will be talking about Notre Dame being "the game" because Oct 3 the nation will be watching and most of them hoping for a Clemson win.
It is about one game at a time. I don't remember ever believing Clemson could win out until we got past NC State in 1981
Just enjoy the wins and put them in the rear mirror or you'll be talking about what could have been.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the big deal about this one

Sep 25, 2015, 11:39 PM

Is that ND may be the most storied program to come to Death Valley. Though they have visited once before, and we have played and defeated teams as important or ranked as high, all the factors converging AND the added aspect of ESPN and the Internet make this pretty unique even among the big games. Whether this is the biggest will depend in large measure on the outcome of the game and the season for both teams. The same team which appeared to struggle against UVA could mop the floor with us and then lose to an App State. Or, the could win the NC. the same is possible in the converse. We could win big and lose to USC or go on to win the NC.

One thing is for certain, the hype and excitement from our side is as big as, or greater than, that which was associated with UGa 2013. And fwiw, Dabo seems to do a heck of a job getting the team ready for big games.

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic