Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is it better to not Preseason Heisman promote these days?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 1
| visibility 657

Is it better to not Preseason Heisman promote these days?

Apr 10, 2019, 9:37 AM

With increased social media and TV coverage, could it potentially hurt a player's chances now?

Today it seems like the more a player gets hyped, the greater the chance the public and the voters get disillusioned if (god forbid) he's not Superman every game, especially toward the end of the year. I looked it up, and the last Preseason Heisman Favorite to go wire-to-wire was Marcus Mariota in 2014. Johnny Manziel 2012, Derrick Henry 2015, Lamar Jackson 2016 and Kyler Murray 2018 all won the Heisman despite not being on any Preseason Watch Lists.

Manziel beat Bama late in the year, Jackson burst on the scene in a loss to Clemson. Then in 2018, "it was Tua's Heisman" after Week 3 according the Media, but by the end of October, Murray kept racking up stats, and thats when OU really started to tout him. All November OU bombarded social media with comparative stats, which was smart. Tua was sitting out the 2nd halfs of easy Bama wins, while Murray was directing 4th QTR shootout wins for Oklahoma because their Defense couldn't stop anyone.

Its funny- it wasnt so long ago that Oregon put up that Billboard of Joey Harrington in Times Square so folks on the East Coast would know that Joey Harrington is a QB that plays football for Oregon.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: Is it better to not Preseason Heisman promote these days?

Apr 10, 2019, 9:45 AM

I agree it is better to not promote any of our players in the preseason. Just let it play out and when it gets to November then you start using your SID to get out every great stat you can on the player.

Honestly it doesn't really matter as Dabo will never leave a guy in there long enough to rack up enough stats to win the Heisman anyway. Not that I want him to. Dabo is literally showing every college football coach how to run the perfect program. Meaningful snaps for young players is 10 times more important than winning a Heisman.

Just ask Bobby Petrino if he would rather had a backup QB get some snaps and still have a job or Jackson with a Heisman? Go back and watch some of those games that Jackson was still in when they were up 30 or 40 points midway through the 4th quarter.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 1
| visibility 657
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic