Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
In tailgate talk yesterday, three retired professors and
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 3,931

In tailgate talk yesterday, three retired professors and

Nov 12, 2017, 1:06 PM

some residents of Clemson mentioned that Clemson is likely to move toward a student body population of 30,000. The topic came up when it was mentioned that we used to be 16,000 and now football mags list it as 21 or 22,000. I asked if that was accurate, or if they are just counting grad school, extension and everything. They all said it was definitely accurate, a larger population and that did likely include grad and all, but they all also said they had heard that 30,000 was the way the university looks to be going. They said this move started under Barker. THey also said it is a way to counter the fact that they are not getting great funding from the state, so they have to create their own.

They all expressed concerns if the town could manage that, but I said it would certainly be good for attendance, future donors, and other revenue streams.

Have any of you heard that Clemson is going in the direction of 30,000?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In tailgate talk yesterday, three retired professors and

Nov 12, 2017, 1:19 PM

Have also heard from someone who works at the school that the push will be to increase number of out of state students. More tuition money. Seems like we are already displacing too many worthy in-state kids to the Bridge program just to get in more out of states students. I think the last time I checked we had something like 35% out of state compared to surrounding state schools where the % was done in the teens. I guess someone has to pay for all the new academic buildings. I'm just glad you didn't need a 4.0 to get in back in the 80's.

Nov 12, 2017, 2:01 PM

Here's a link to the "fact book" which has all of the enrollment data:

https://www.clemson.edu/oirweb1/FB/factbook/minifactbook.cgi

It's kind of interesting to look at the data and see how things have changed over the years.

In 2017, the fact books says that Clemson has a total enrollment of 24,387. 23,834 students are degree seeking. Of the degree-seeking students, 19,172 are undergrads and 4,662 are grad students. It looks like this year that about 68% of the undergrads are in-state.

Clemson's enrollment has steadily crept up over the years. If you live in town, you can sure feel it, especially with traffic, parking, and even at the grocery store. The bridge program is one reason the undergrad enrollment has grown. We are probably getting more transfer students now too. I seem to have a more in my classes than I used to. A fair number of our grad students are in Greenville.

To me, if you look around at all the new apartments, it sure seems that the investors are expecting the school to continue to grow.

Nov 12, 2017, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Re: In tailgate talk yesterday, three retired professors and ]

That is not true. My daughter was a legacy candidate that would have been easily accepted if she were instate. She was top 10 in her graduating class of 220, scored a 30 on the ACT and was not accepted. Had we been in state, I feel certain she would have been accepted.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think another reason to go to 30,000 is to no longer

Nov 12, 2017, 2:37 PM

turn away students like her, and also increase the number of in-state students to get accepted. I mean the population of the state is growing, it only makes sense that one of the main universities would have to grow as well. They are going to have to continue to serve the state, but also increase out of state for revenue gains is my guess.

Nov 12, 2017, 2:07 PM [ in reply to Re: In tailgate talk yesterday, three retired professors and ]

Clemson has had about 35% out of state enrollment for more than 30 years (I was an out of state student in the 80s). It isn't a new thing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting topic! All these new buildings have to serve ..

Nov 12, 2017, 1:32 PM

.....someone?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2017, 1:53 PM

I went to A Clemson Alumni meeting in Spartanburg Wednesday. Dr. Ellen Granberg was the speaker. She is the Associate Provost and explained the goal of Clemson Forward. She stated that the goal was to have 22,000 Undergraduates enrolled in the next 10 years in addition to Grad school etc. Very interesting. Quite a good bit of Buildings being built as well as upgrades of others. They are even thinking of 2 parking garages. It isn't going to be the Clemson we see now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i hope that they get enough students

Nov 12, 2017, 1:57 PM

To fill the basketball arena! The ones we have now don't want to do it!

I have always liked that Clemson was smaller and more exclusive

Nov 12, 2017, 1:58 PM

than the large state schools. I want Clemson to continue to improve its academic standing and reputation. If that can be done while increasing enrollment somewhat, I’m okay with that. But we will lose our advantage if we become just another state school that any decent student can get into.

Accepting more out of state students makes sense. It wouldn’t remove the number of spots currently available to state students, but it would allow us to take highly qualified students from outside SC and increase revenue as well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Cost does not go down with increased enrollment

Nov 12, 2017, 2:00 PM

profs just do less to make up for it

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting - my niece from VA did not get in 3 yrs ago with

Nov 12, 2017, 2:03 PM

3.9 avg in catholic school and she got into Florida which has tough admissions. It's gotten harder not easier. A lot of Clemson alums with kids at SC, College of Charleston, Coastal Carolina, Auburn and others ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good, let other schools take students who aren’t Clemson material.

Nov 12, 2017, 2:36 PM

Clemson acceptance should be a privilege, not a right.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

That's the plan. They have other plans for the campus and

Nov 12, 2017, 2:28 PM

town but I don't want to mention them because they're insane.

You'll find out in a couple of years, or less.

insane good or insane bad?***

Nov 12, 2017, 2:40 PM

The Written Policy

Nov 12, 2017, 7:46 PM

is 2-3% growth annually.

Originally it was 3% and my understanding is that a recent BOT review was to go to 2% per year/

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Also

Nov 12, 2017, 7:48 PM

if Clemson is to remain a state supported school, state law requires 65% in state enrollment.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Replies: 16
| visibility 3,931
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic