Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Maybe I am an Old Tiger, But... Long
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 2,599

Maybe I am an Old Tiger, But... Long

Oct 10, 2017, 8:10 PM

I can remember when we played Dooke and Billygoats in LittleJohn in the late 1970's and early 1980's. The AD let students in LJ, and people sat on the steps, near the rafters, and wherever they could squeeze in because the seats were full. 13,000+ in a 10,000 seat venue.

Nobody was turned away. FM learned about it after we beat Dooke; we acted like responsible fans and focused on the team! FM moved on. No problem. We kicked Dooke's bum!!!

Everybody got behind the team, and we hammered # 5 Dooke and the Billygoats! No one whined, no one complained, because we were there to support our Tigers!!! Nothing else mattered. That was the focus!!!

Why in the he!! we can't do that with the football team is amazing to me! When the chickens came to town, we did the same in the Valley!!! 86,000++ Wrung some chicken necks. Same for the DAWGS and Cooters from Maryland!

As a family, and Tiger Nation, we should be able to solve this challenge.

Administration and AD: put up no barriers!!! Act like you love your family vs. viewing them as a sales opportunity !!!

Student government, stand up for your constituents!!! The goal is to help them support our teams! Don't kiss up to the easy path!

Students, get off your bum and go support your teams!!! Let nothing or nobody get in you way to do this!!! Take your professors with you! Invite them!!! Touch their hearts!

We all love our Tigers!!! Make it happen!!! Get'er done!!! Be responsible! Support your family!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, it was January 1980 when we played #1 Duke

Oct 10, 2017, 8:46 PM

on a Tuesday night before classes began on Thursday. We camped out for tickets outside the student gate at LJ. That was back when the students tickets were first come first serve, regardless of class. A buddy and I sat on the first row behind the Clemson bench. Billy Williams, Larry Nance, Bobby Conrad, Fred Gilliam and Moose Campbell were our starters. Tigers won in OT 87-82. Giminski brings up that game every time he does a TV game in LJ.

There were so many people in LJ you could not leave your seat to go the restroom or get concessions if you were near the floor. Every square foot of the steps from the floor to the gate entrance was packed with people sitting in the aisle. No students were turned away. The fire Marshall said never again. They estimated the next morning that there were more than 14000 people in a coliseum built to hold 11,000. It was a night I will never forget.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was at that game - it was PACKED and .........

Oct 10, 2017, 9:23 PM

beating #1 Duke was unbelievable! Have never seen LJ that crowded since then.

in 1963 we beat UNC 66 to 64 in OT in the Field House.

Oct 10, 2017, 10:24 PM

I believe it held 3000 people safely, but there were way over 3000 at the game. I literally sat in the rafters over the court with other students. I believe their were only 4000 students attending CU at that time. It was quite a game.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: in 1963 we beat UNC 66 to 64 in OT in the Field House.

Oct 10, 2017, 11:00 PM

That was the first BB game I attended as a Clemson student, and I think it was the first game that year. Billy Cunningham was the UNC star and scored about half their points. We got the break we needed about midway of the second half when Cunningham split his pants and had to leave the game for a few minutes to change pants. We dominated while he was in the locker room, and I doubt we would have won except for his torn pants.

Mike Bohanek was a Tiger reserve who averaged about 5 points a game, but he could hit clutch shots and had won a couple of games at the buzzer the previous year. He hit a jumper at the buzzer to win that game against UNC. I don't remember it being an OT game, but it is a fond memory of the old "Cow Palace." The place did rock that night.

We can...

Oct 10, 2017, 11:56 PM

if we make tickets so hard to get for the students they dare not lay out or leave early. Rights are abused because they can't be taken. Privileges can.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 2,599
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic