Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'm procrastinating, so WTH----CLEMSON BASKETBALL GREATS - Andre Bovain
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

I'm procrastinating, so WTH----CLEMSON BASKETBALL GREATS - Andre Bovain

Sep 16, 2020, 2:20 PM

During his high school days, Andreus Maguell Bovain was a multi-sport athlete at Columbia's Keenan High School, and by his junior and senior year, he had made a name for himself as one of the premier basketball players in the Midlands area, playing a large part in the Keenan Raiders becoming a late 80's state basketball powerhouse. This was no small feat, with SC being rated the #1 basketball state in the nation in 1988, with talents like Shaun Golden, David Young, Jo Jo English, Stanley Roberts, and Everick Sullivan being just some of the emerging talent from the state.

With a skill set that was far more diverse than the Keenan student body, Bovain was a hot target in regional recruiting, and it was considered a major coup when Cliff Ellis landed his commitment for the incoming 90-91 class. Clemson basketball fans can easily be forgiven for the visions of championships that danced in their heads from this recruiting class that also included Tyrone Paul (left after one season because he was "homesick"), Steve Harris (transferred to Furman after two seasons), Eric Burks (academically ineligible after one season), Willie Shears (prop 48 non-qualifier), Jimmy Mason (played one season), and yes, that's right, Bruce F-ing Martin.

In his freshman year, Bovain also clearly suffered from homesickness, as the Clemson PD had interactions with him in 1991 when he rang up over $1000 in long distance charges on a stolen calling card. Later, in 1992, Bovain was suspended for five games (along with Sharone Wright, Wayne Buckingham, Kevin Hines, and yes, Bruce F-ing Martin) for "mis-use" of (translation-selling) their free family tickets. Through the stern discipline and unwavering moral guidance (snicker...I'm sorry, can't help it) of Cliff Ellis, he was brought back to the straight and narrow, where he became a true defensive shutdown threat for the Tigers, locking down such notable scorers as Bryant Stith, Jon Barry, Walt Williams, and the aforementioned Jo Jo English.

Speaking of lockdown, these years were where Bovain's life (already a model of ethical ambiguity), became surrounded by more criminal influences. He and Devin Gray were roommates with Kiki Graham, who was a non-athlete Clemson student, but also a member of the Black Mafia Family. Kiki and his partner Scott King (who played basketball at Mars Hill) had a major operation running coke between Atlanta and Greenville behind a business front in ATL customizing Bentleys, and ran in prominent celebrity circles that included Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley.

While Bovain attempted to make a career out of professional basketball, playing on the 76'ers practice squad and in the CBA, Iceland, and South America, the prospects eventually dried up. In 2004 both Bovain and Gray were arrested in Spartanburg on cocaine trafficking charges and eventually convicted in 2005 of those charges and served a sentence length that I am unable to determine in prison.

The last signs of Bovain that this author could find were serving as assistant coach to the now defunct PBL team, the "PeeDee Vipers", with head coach Larry Brown and GM Sharone Wright.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Damson, never knew Devin Gray

Sep 16, 2020, 2:24 PM

got locked up for Dealin White.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yessir. I got no way of proving, but I suspect the

Sep 16, 2020, 2:26 PM

devil's talc probably had something to do with his 1993 cardiac incident and ultimate untimely demise.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

oh and BTW, TRDJ...

Sep 16, 2020, 2:41 PM [ in reply to Damson, never knew Devin Gray ]

two hours to research and write this mofro, 34 views, 2 TU's and 2 comments. There's a reason these babies are scarce. Nobody truly appreciates the Cliff Ellis glory days anymore.

I just noticed only 5 TUs

Sep 16, 2020, 3:48 PM

what a farking tragedy. I'll bump it for all I can for as long as I can. JUSTICE WILL BE SERVED. You're doing the lord's work, Obed. Keep up the great work.

That drug syndicate is still going strong

Sep 16, 2020, 2:30 PM

as is the Black Mafia

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm procrastinating, so WTH----CLEMSON BASKETBALL GREATS - Andre Bovain

Sep 16, 2020, 3:49 PM

I still have his poster.

A guard that shot 57.0 percent from the free throw line

Sep 16, 2020, 9:36 PM

They don't make em like that anymore, no sir.

DAVID POTTER OR GTFO.***

Sep 17, 2020, 12:58 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Shout out to big Stanley Roberts! The pride and joy of

Sep 17, 2020, 7:37 AM

Lower Richland High School.

Made entirely of Salisbury Steak from Mr Bunky's.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Mr Bunky's.....

Sep 17, 2020, 7:50 AM

A Lower Richland landmark. Stanley's brother worked for a freight line that delivered to us on Rosewood Drive back in the day. Melvin, who I worked with at Palmetto, was a guard on Stanley's LR team. I miss Bernie's Chicken. And Zesto's. Every time I go to Columbia I try to visit one.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My dad will go on a sunday drive and stop by

Sep 17, 2020, 8:04 AM

Mr. Bunkys just to eat. For sure it's over an hour drive for him.

My boy had football games out that way last year and we would always eat at Mr. Bunky's. One time I bought my daughter a pair of used shoes there because she had left her shoes at home.

Mr. Bunky's: where you can get a top notch meal, 5 gallon bucket of hydraulic oil, a dozen baby chicks, a 38 Special record, set of used Spalding golf clubs, 15lbs of 16 penny nails, 5 pounds of ground beef, and some blunt wraps.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

I feel like I should drive 8 hours to go there.***

Sep 17, 2020, 8:10 AM

Bump for those that seem to have forgotten

Sep 17, 2020, 2:54 PM

TO GIVE THIS MAN HIS HYPOTHETICAL IMAGINARY INNERNET POINTS.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic