Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Will we really be better next year?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Will we really be better next year?

Feb 8, 2020, 6:18 AM

I see most folks here and nationwide believe the Tigs will be better.
Now this is all great news to me but just how?
Tee..Simpson..Simmons..Kvon...Muse...Anchrum..gone
These Where all star performers and people.
How will we get back ?I guess the schedule is not intimidating but,
The ND showdown will be epic.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes

Feb 8, 2020, 6:43 AM

Last year was a "rebuilding" year. We had 80 freshmen and sophomores on the roster....LOL. If you were gonna beat us it was in 2019.

The 2020 version of Clemson will have a significantly better DL with more depth, experience, size, and talent. We've recruited really well everywhere else. More talent and depth in the secondary than ever before.

Same story on offense, Trevor, Travis, Ross, Rodhers, etc... We finally have OL talent, not just bodies. Studs at all the skill positions...and we're deeper than EVER before.

We lose great players EVERY year at Clemson (Watson, William's, Legget, Wilkins, O'Daniel, etc...) because we RECRUIT great players. The well isn't running dry....its deeper and more experienced than ever before, and especially than in 2019.

Only 7 Clemson players got invited to the NFL combine off that team. Want to know why? Because we were young and had 80 underclassmen on that team.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Will we really be better next year?

Feb 8, 2020, 6:45 AM

Yes. We will be better because the d line will be better. We are reloading everywhere else. Clemson will obviously miss the players that you mentioned but the team is now in " next man up " mode. What a time to be a Clemson Football fan.

Feb 8, 2020, 7:27 AM

We will have a defensive line.

Feb 8, 2020, 7:41 AM

Clemson will be, without a doubt, better as a team in '20 than they were in '19. As one poster already eluded to by pointing out just how young the Tiger squad was this past season. Think about this, Clemson had the most experienced team in the playoffs last season....yet they we're also the youngest team by far in the playoffs as well.

The '20 Clemson Tiger football team will be loaded with experience and they will have an infusion of young talent in key areas that were perhaps deficient in '19. Mainly across the D-line. It will be fun and interesting to to watch the Clemson defense geow and gel as the season progresses next year. By the time the playoffs roll around, that unit should be a straight living nightmare for opposing teams.

I feel the offense will look to make a statement next season after looking flat in the championship game. With Etienne coming back in support of Trevor, the offense will be balanced and lethal. This Clemson team will not get the love or the hype of the SEC squads, but this could become the greatest team ever assembled in college football history in '20.

Clemson will be that good.

Yes.

Feb 8, 2020, 7:59 AM

Really.

Feb 8, 2020, 8:33 AM

For sure there are a couple positions we need to find depth at and break in new starters (OL and DB) but there are many other positions that return more experienced and in some cases much deeper (QB, RB, TE, DL).

The situations at DL and TE actually made us change what we do on offense and defense which is a much bigger deal than the vast majority of fans realize. These two position units are going to radically change in 2020 and become ultra deep and talented units with more experience. We can return to our natural 4-3 (often 4-2-5) scheme from the 3 man front we saw most of 2019 and on offense we can fully incorporate the TE with a scary good 88 back in the fold and scary good youngsters 84 and 85 who just needed time to learn. Our DEs are 4-3 bodied and skilled ends, I believe you will see 3 and 5 improve dramatically back in their more comfortable 4-3 alignment.

The main point here is it’s not just about counting returning starters. It’s a deeper analysis of what we do and where guys fit in.

Feb 8, 2020, 11:25 AM

Yes I agree with the notion that this team will be better next year. The biggest question mark for me will be the O line. Yes I think we are more talented there then ever, but that's a position group that usually takes time and reps with one another to actually be good cohesive unit. So the faster they can do that the better the team will be. TL or ETN will not be able to do what they do without a solid Oline.

Then Wr's would be the next position group that will have some concerns with Tee leaving. Yes we have Ross that you think will replace Tee spot. And Ladson/ Nagata you think will move to Ross's spot but just like last year can they make that transition, that I think hurt Ross last year. Also will we actually use Rodgers to his full potential with designated plays schemed to get him the ball.

Everywhere else we should be fine/ upgrade beside Simmons position.

Feb 8, 2020, 8:40 AM

I think we will grow to be better, but I am always skeptical when the o-line and the d-backs are a question mark. We have excellent talent coming in, but how quickly will they be ready is a real concern. They better be ready by the time we go to ND

Feb 8, 2020, 9:29 AM

Oh ye of little faith.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As LSU showed all too well in the Natty, a ferocious pass

Feb 8, 2020, 9:34 AM

rush can make up for a lot of shortcomings on defense. And, with the talent we have along the D-Line next year, ferocious ought to be putting it mildly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 8, 2020, 9:42 AM

We could end up with a lot of true freshman contribute more this year than last. Tyler Davis towed the Dline and with kj, pink, XT more experienced... Add in Breesee who I think will start or be a co starter.

We have some young linebackers ready to breakout.

Our busts from 17 and 18 class as poster above alluded too that changed our scheme tremendously. About the only thing I would say is that I wish Mario had gotten more snaps behind AJ than he got. Should be a really competitive spring in the backs.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not sure we will be better. Maybe about the same. We

Feb 8, 2020, 9:42 AM

get some depth on defensive line with the new freshmen, but we lose some studs at DB so that might be a trade off. True we will be able to scheme differently with a real TE and 4 man defensive front. Losing Pollard (4 year starter) and Simpson (almost 3 year starter), Cervenka and Anchrum is not going to be easy. Not sure we have a guy like Higgins to replace him yet. I would hold off on saying we'll be better until we see the new guys play. I believe there is a good chance of getting back to the playoff due to our schedule.

Feb 8, 2020, 10:22 AM

Hard to say. Should have more DL depth but injuries, chemistry, and how others play against us will tell the tail. It is possible to be better but not do as well record wise. I'm just a game by game guy and not into expectations. 1975 broke me of that

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember, all too well, the promise...

Feb 8, 2020, 12:17 PM

And hope that the 1975 season held after going 7-4 the year before, and then the utter disappointment that the entire 75 season became.

Feb 8, 2020, 1:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Will we really be better next year? ]

The DL will be better. If Elliot can drive the Ferrari w/o Scott, the O should still score plenty.

Lose 4 starters on offensive line and not sure who is going

Feb 8, 2020, 11:04 AM

to be in the secondary.

Never a given to be in the playoffs. Is very hard to get to 14-0 with a win in the playoff semifinal and up 10 in the second quarter of the national title game. That's why when you get to that point, you really need to make it happen. I understand we were big underdogs and am proud of the team. I would have been surprised if we had won the game, but when up 17-7, or down 28-25 and we have ball in 3rd quarter, it could have happened.

Feb 8, 2020, 1:00 PM

Since this time last year, 2020, not 2019, was when I thought the program would have its greatest challenges.

The O-line and secondary are the biggest question marks. Maybe the O-line can do a repeat of 2018 where it was a work in progress and ended up being an outstanding finished product.

I think we can all agree the secondary is a major concern. No need to sugar coat it.

At LB, Simmons cannot be replaced. It will be hard for the group to match last year for this one reason.

One the positive, Trevor should be better. I expect him to have his best year.

All the RBs return and we added Bowman. ETN returning is like having an NFL RB as a starter.

The D-line should easily make the biggest improvement because Bresee and Murphy will completely transform things as true freshman. Our 4-man pass rush should go from not good to outstanding. I agree that a great pass rush can cover up weakness in the secondary.

At receiver, Ngata and Ladson need to live up to the hype they got last year.

Bottom line for me: I can't conclude 2020 will be better than 2019. It could go either way. I believe the 2021 and 2022 teams are set up to be better than any previous.

Just my 2 cents.

well said. I agree.***

Feb 8, 2020, 1:20 PM

Feb 8, 2020, 1:12 PM

If you just need something to worry about, Corona Virus continues to spread and The number of infected doubles Every week. Tiger football in 2020, rest your mind my friend!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 8, 2020, 3:25 PM

Yes...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 8, 2020, 3:40 PM

Definitely think we will have the talent to be better at some point in the year ... but wouldn’t be surprised to see some stumbles due to inexperience in the DB and particularly in the OL losing 4 starters .... Not thinking the stumbles will necessarily result in losses - but think this team will be a thing of beauty once the kinks are ironed out !! ?? The talent is there - folks ... the talent - and the coaching - are definitely there !!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Feb 8, 2020, 3:42 PM

I worry some about our secondary but we will have some talent for sure. Our O should be unstoppable tho. I expect TL to really shine after his poor performance against LSU. All our D has to do is get a few stops

Feb 8, 2020, 3:50 PM

We will not be better...but it’s likely that none of the top contenders will be better, either (LSU, OSU, Bama, OU, etc.).

Two returning players at QB & RB and a more experienced DLine does not make for a “better” team, sorry. The fact of the matter is that graduation and the draft decimated our starting 22 and we need an awful lot to work out to be as good as we were last year. Losing 4 OL starters, Isaiah, K’Von, AJ, Tee...no, we won’t be better and you’re fooling yourself if you think we will be. The 2019 team was fantastic and ran into a generational team in LSU. Any other year that team is the best in the country.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 8, 2020, 3:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Will we really be better next year? ]

We will not be better...but it’s likely that none of the top contenders will be better, either (LSU, OSU, Bama, OU, etc.).

Two returning players at QB & RB and a more experienced DLine does not make for a “better” team, sorry. The fact of the matter is that graduation and the draft decimated our starting 22 and we need an awful lot to work out to be as good as we were last year. Losing 4 OL starters, Isaiah, K’Von, AJ, Tee...no, we won’t be better and you’re fooling yourself if you think we will be. The 2019 team was fantastic and ran into a generational team in LSU. Any other year that team is the best in the country.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 8, 2020, 4:34 PM

I am not sure we have to be better to win it all but we should come close to being equal next year. The DL will make a difference and that will make our DB's better next year. The key to our Offense is can Elliott find a way to use the whole field and get the ball in the hands of our play makers against good teams. We have not been the Offensive powerhouse we expected against good teams except for Bama in the 2018 NC game. I think Wallace and Simmons will be hard to replace. Simmons has been a once in a lifetime kind of player so it will be hard to find that kind of player. The others we lost on D can be replaced and be just as good or better. I have heard that Coach V thinks Sanders can be a very special player so I look for him to have a greater impact next year. Lets face it we only have about two tough games and that is at Fsu and at ND. The other games we should win but there could be that let down game that bites our butt.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it’s not really my place to try and change your mind

Feb 8, 2020, 4:41 PM

Just wait and see

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 9, 2020, 10:32 AM

At the beginning of the year, I doubt it. At the end of the year, I believe so. The 2 position groups that require the most communication, OL and DB's, lost the most. As they get more experience on the field, as well as playing with each other, I believe that both groups can be very good. I also think that having personnel to go back to a 4-3 will help. I think that XT and KJ are much better suited to a 4-3.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic