Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If you could hire a new Basketball coach tom who would it be
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

If you could hire a new Basketball coach tom who would it be

Mar 23, 2016, 10:26 AM

Someone within reason that we would actually have a shot of getting here.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Does it have to be a "tom?" If so, I pick Izzo.***

Mar 23, 2016, 10:27 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

MAKE IT HAPPEN DRAD!***

Mar 23, 2016, 10:29 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: Does it have to be a "tom?" If so, I pick Izzo.***

Mar 23, 2016, 10:32 AM [ in reply to Does it have to be a "tom?" If so, I pick Izzo.*** ]

If it could be any Tom, D!ck or Harry, who would you pick?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Given those options I'd probably go with

Mar 23, 2016, 10:39 AM

D!ck Bender. Mostly for entertainment value when logging onto Tiger Board(s)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Nate McMillan

Mar 23, 2016, 10:54 AM

Current assistant coach with the Indiana Pacers. Had success as a head NBA guy, as well as two gold medals as an assistant on team USA.

Re: Given those options I'd probably go with

Mar 23, 2016, 1:14 PM [ in reply to Given those options I'd probably go with ]

Or D!ck Hertz - he's a decent coach. As far as hiring a Harry - I hear Harry Sacks is in the market.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

^ guys a brownell mark

Mar 23, 2016, 10:31 AM

Dont let the new handle fool you.

Re: ^ guys a brownell mark

Mar 23, 2016, 10:55 AM

False but way to not answer the question.

Great job.

Rick Pitino, we need more prostitutes and drinking on

Mar 23, 2016, 10:35 AM

campus.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we're at a position quite frankly I really wonder if we

Mar 23, 2016, 10:36 AM

could get anyone of great value to come......now we're moving into a new building with shiny new stuff and there isn't a lot of energy to buy season tickets.

You're not going to be able to go get a guy from a Power 5 conference to take this job...

Kevin Keatts.....UNCW head coach is a up and comer....was an asst at Louisville....took UNCW to the tourney and won the CAA....basketball times magazine voted him top rookie coach last year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you could hire a new Basketball coach tom who would it be

Mar 23, 2016, 10:55 AM

You talking to me?

Somebody that can recruit.

Mar 23, 2016, 11:02 AM

Whether it's somebody with an established history of strong recruiting, a young up-and-comer with a dazzling personality, or whatever, he'd better by-God be able to recruit like a ####. I don't care if he's the greatest X and O guy in basketball or some kind of savant, it doesn't mean a hill of freaking beans; he'd better be able to sell Clemson university an have some quality or ability that allows him to make talented high school basketball players want to play for him. If not, then we don't want him and don't need him. I said when we hired Brownell that his ability to recruit would make or break him, and here we are.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Somebody that can recruit.

Mar 23, 2016, 11:04 AM

I agree with the recruiting part.

This question really has TWO answers ...

Mar 23, 2016, 11:10 AM

I think there are two issues that would need to be addressed in identifying and hiring a new basketball coach at Clemson.

1. The best coach we could possibly attract.

2. The best coach we could possibly attract ... and keep.

The part about "keeping" them is critical. We've already hired a great coach that we couldn't keep at Clemson. The Rick Barnes story is one that in all likelihood will repeat itself when we aspire to attract a guy who is looking for big bucks and also has much higher ambition than a career at Clemson.

If we can't keep a really good coach at Clemson, it doesn't help all that much. It just gets our hopes up unrealistically. The four seasons that Rick Barnes spent at Clemson were undeniably among the best in the program history. But, truthfully our program today reflects nothing more than the fact that when Rick Barnes left, we went back to square one.

Look no further than Wake Forest under Skip Prosser to see how crucial long term continuity is to a program and how the sudden departure (tragic in Prosser's case) can reverse momentum and set a program back to where they were before. Prosser had built a solid foundation for long-term success at Wake, but his successor(s) have been unable to recapture whatever it was that Prosser brought to the program.

You can say that both Clemson and Wake made bad hires following the departure of their great coaches, but I think it's more than that. I believe finding the right guy and getting him in place is a huge crap shoot and once you find him, keeping him around is a mighty challenge. Especially at a place like Clemson.

So, back to the original question: Who should Clemson hire? And I repeat ...

1. The best coach we could possibly attract.

2. The best coach we could possibly attract ... and keep.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Any hope of improving Clemson basketball must

Mar 23, 2016, 11:31 AM

be based on the assumption that the school is going to commit to doing so. That would include paying for getting AND retaining the right coach. It should be a given, in spite of how we've done it in the past. The lesson in all of that is that we must do it differently, and better than we did in the past.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Any hope of improving Clemson basketball must

Mar 23, 2016, 11:33 AM

yep Clemson basketball will continue to be below average if that is what we are willing to commit to it.

I missed your two answers..

Mar 23, 2016, 11:35 AM [ in reply to This question really has TWO answers ... ]

Who were they ?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Look for the items in the post numbered #1 and #2 ...

Mar 23, 2016, 2:45 PM

then apply them to any potential hire ... and yes, they both apply to the same person, whoever that person might be.

Hint: They were not Rick Barnes and they were not Oliver Purnell.

wouldn't you say we went back to square one because

Mar 23, 2016, 11:40 AM [ in reply to This question really has TWO answers ... ]

the guy that followed Rick was a not a good hire? Not because Rick left.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Both ... I think we got lucky when we landed Barnes and

Mar 23, 2016, 2:42 PM

I think our luck ran out when we tried to replace him. We made a bad hire. But, he seemed like a good hire at the time. And as often as not, our coaching hires in basketball are not necessarily our first choices. Believe it or not, we do actually go after the bigger fish. We just come up empty and have to fill the slot with someone else.

I believe hiring a coach for a major college sport at the highest level is a huge gamble! Even great programs can fail.

Otherwise UNC never promotes Bill Guthridge or hires Matt Doherty ...

Greg Buckner = Kevin Ollie?

Mar 23, 2016, 11:55 AM

Kevin Ollie - 43 year old 1995 graduate of Connecticut. 4 year starter for UConn basketball team. 16 year NBA career journeyman who served 16 stints with 13 different NBA teams. Elevated to Head Coach after only 2 years in coaching profession as an assistant coach under Jim Calhoun. NCAA Championship in year 2. First #7 seed ever to win the NCAA Tournament. NCAA Tournament first round winner 2016.

Greg Buckner - 39 year old 1999 graduate of Clemson. 4 year starter for Clemson basketball team. 12 year NBA career serving 7 stints with 6 different teams. Inducted into the Clemson Athletic Hall of Fame in 2005. Buckner is the only Tiger to ever win the ACC Rookie of the Year award (1994-95). First Tiger to ever lead his team in scoring four straight years from 1994-98. Led Clemson to three NCAA Tournaments. Started all 122 games at Clemson and never missed a game. Named assistant coach for player development for the Houston Rockets 2011. Promoted to bench coach 2014.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Greg Buckner = Kevin Ollie?

Mar 23, 2016, 12:05 PM

Biggest thing that would worry me with Buckner is not being in the College game ever as a coach.

Ollie was at least an assistant under Calhoun for two years.

He can hire the assistants he needs. His experience would

Mar 23, 2016, 12:41 PM

give him instant credibility to recruit and then coach them up. JB would be more likely to come back, though still unlikely.

No solution is perfect, but it seems unlikely that his lack of COLLEGE coaching experience would prevent him from recruiting at a high level or from coaching well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He can hire the assistants he needs. His experience would

Mar 23, 2016, 12:49 PM

Yea you might be right. He would be on my list. I would still have Will Wade as my first call thouhg.

To be fair, Ollie did serve under a HOF coach and he was

Mar 23, 2016, 12:56 PM [ in reply to Greg Buckner = Kevin Ollie? ]

already at the school...so apples to oranges

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Buckner served under Kevin McHale and Bernie Bickerstaff.

Mar 23, 2016, 2:03 PM

So, while the situations are not EXACTLY the same, there are advantages that Buckner has that Kevin did not when he started. The differences you mention are trivial.

Apples to apples.

I have major concerns about Buckner's ability to run a college program.

Mar 23, 2016, 2:42 PM

Yes, his NBA experience is helpful for recruiting purposes, and it is cool that he is a Clemson alum. But to have zero experience coaching on the college level, zero experience recruiting, zero experience hiring coaches, and zero experience in a leadership role like this, he would be a HUGE risk. Your belief that we must stoop that low is selling our program and university short.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Remember how certain you were that Coach Brownell was the

Mar 23, 2016, 3:04 PM

man and how dismissive you were of anyone that disagreed with you? You finally came around about 2 weeks ago.

This reminds me of that.

I was never certain abot Brownell.

Mar 23, 2016, 3:25 PM

Forgive me for acknowledging the barriers in front of him and trying to be patient as the season unfolded.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Brownell was a MUCH lower risk hire than Buckner would be.

Mar 23, 2016, 3:27 PM [ in reply to Remember how certain you were that Coach Brownell was the ]

Brownell had taken multiple schools to 20 win seasons and NCAA Tournament births, as well as multiple conference championships. Buckner has done none of those things. I'm not saying Buckner wouldn't be a great coach, but it seems like a huge risk - one I don't think Clemson should have to take.

That depends. Are we going to commit to being a successful

Mar 23, 2016, 1:01 PM

basketball program, or continue being thrifty and expecting to somehow have success?

UConn women's coach

Mar 23, 2016, 1:05 PM

Geno Auri...,you know who I mean.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 23, 2016, 1:19 PM

Tates Locke

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Larry Shyatt***

Mar 23, 2016, 1:22 PM

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Mar 23, 2016, 2:31 PM

Can you reply even if your name is not Tom?

If so, John Wooden. He could coach better from the grave than the most recent coaches we've had.

Coach Reeves from the White Shadow.

Mar 23, 2016, 6:13 PM

I was going to put that earlier. For some reason I didn't, because I thought that barely anyone would remember him from the 1970's. That was a tv show. I hadn't thought of that guy in 25 years. Anyway, ironically he died today. That's odd.

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic