Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I am so sick of the games
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

I am so sick of the games

Jan 30, 2021, 12:10 PM

that our Government, local/state & federal are playing with COVID. Its sickening. We know exactly who this virus is killing, the old folks. More than 60% of deaths are coming out of nursing home & extended care facilities. NY is now finally showing their data, unlike many States and we can see exactly what is happening.

They are providing $5k for a bed and $200 a day to 1star and 2star nursing homes to take in positive patients, then what is happening? People are dying. Then its all covered up in the total number of deaths or they come back and bake the numbers into the tally. For instance, and this isn't the first time, we had 80 deaths. 67.....count them, 67 of that 80 were from old vital records. How many came from nursing homes? We don't know yet, but we will soon. This is happening ALL around the Country.

You have a piece of #### Governor writing books, getting Emmy's and the so called journalists are eating him up. Come to find out, the piece of #### is a crook (we all knew this) and was so incompetent, even his own AG got sick of the games.

As soon as Cuomo gets caught with his pants down, our MI Governor, who mirrored his policies and many other people did as well, basically fires her HHS Director. Come to find out, he is nothing but a lawyer/economist that was an Obama hack and had zero public health experience. They needed somewhere for him to go and voila, he is leading the HHS. My god.

We are not sending kids to schools to save the old folks right? Well the old folks are dying people and it has NOTHING to do with kids. It has all to do with incompetence.

Dont come in this thread talking about Cousin Joey that was 40 and died, those are outliers and you know it, so don't come up in here with that spin.

Get kids in school!
Open up the economy!!
Stop killing business!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I am so sick of the games

Jan 30, 2021, 12:23 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If that is accurate, it is ridiculously high if you’re under

Jan 30, 2021, 12:36 PM

70 years old.

You’re basically saying we should open up and shed 1% of the population, no?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: If that is accurate, it is ridiculously high if you’re under

Jan 30, 2021, 12:52 PM

Jan 30, 2021, 2:07 PM

I haver a couple of questions for you guys:

1. How did you guys become so knowledgeable about this stuff ?

The experts in these fields (infectious diseases, epidemiology, etc.) studied this things intensely for a decade or more. And they have worked in these fields for decades and decades more, traveling around the world to better understand how this stuff works in reality. They have dedicated their entire lives to how to best protect human beings from these dangers.

Now, some of y'all come along and look at the stats for a year and your calling bullyshitt on the experts. I don't know in what arena your work and have developed YOUR expertise, but I imagine that if I walked in off of the street and started telling you how to do your job, you might tell me to fukkoff. When i take my car to the mechanic, I don't tell him how to fix it. When I go to the doctor, I don't tell what procedures to employ. I am not blindly following everything these scientists say, but I am surely acknowledging that they understand this stuff way better than I.

2. Just how big a sacrifice do you think it is to follow these guy's advice on how to tamp down this pandemic to manageable levels. I have a huge amount of empathy for the owners and the workers in businesses that are struggling under some of these restrictions. And I am doing everything I can to support them financially (& otherwise). And the government needs to step up in helping them survive until we can get this virus under some semblance of control.

But how much are consumers struggling to survive. I don't know about y'all, but in this regard, the price I am paying is minimal. I like a crowded bar better than most, and I certainly miss going to all kinds of sporting events, but I haven't really had to do without ANYTHING that I NEED. To save American lives (no matter the age), I can do this quite a bit longer.

Bullyshitt happens and this past year has been a double truckload. But when the going gets tough, the tough get going. WE can do this and WE will.

Jan 30, 2021, 2:21 PM

Here are the requirements for a Journalism major

Jan 30, 2021, 2:48 PM

from SCU. It might be one step about Education Major on the easy scale. There is a reason there is so little critical thinking in that profession. Repeat what you read in a tweet and the nitwits will believe it.

https://academicbulletins.sc.edu/undergraduate/information-communications/journalism-mass-communications/journalism-bajmc/#requirementstext

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here are the requirements for a Journalism major

Jan 30, 2021, 7:47 PM

Neal,

Journalists are NOT dumb. They are paid to attract attention - to their paper, magazine, or site.

So they write in ways that attract our attention - hyperbole and sensationalism - and we respond.

Re: Here are the requirements for a Journalism major

Jan 30, 2021, 8:18 PM

Journalists are uber idealists that hate their editors/ producers. They are generally more upset at the news that gets published than we are because more often than not their work gets heavily edited, or thrown out altogether.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 30, 2021, 8:04 PM [ in reply to Re: If that is accurate, it is ridiculously high if you’re under ]

T3,

"Sometimes experts are hijacked by people with an agenda."

Perhaps Fauci HAS been hijacked by an agenda, but I would need to see evidence of that. The reason the story keeps changing is two-fold. 1. The data about the virus and the surrounding conditions keeps growing, so the best plan to deal with it keeps changing to reflect that. 2. You only hear (from the media) about the differences and the sensational. The things that remain the same tend not to get in the headlines.

Sure there are some politics involved -0 it is a world-wide pandemic, but I think the scientists have been trying their best to cut through all that and give us the needed information.

You are right, I am in SC and things in my life have allowed me to escape much of the hardships involved. But I don't think this is a red/blue state thing. Rather it is an urban/rural thing. (I understand that there is a high correlation but . . .) Urban areas have a much higher rate of human interaction and so they NEED tighter restrictions. And so I assume that they are feeling the economic (& social) squeeze more than many.

But a return to any semblance of normal has to be built upon some sort of better control of the virus. Otherwise, not only will more lives be lost, but the recovery will be slow and sporadic - more painful in the long run.

Jan 30, 2021, 12:42 PM [ in reply to Re: I am so sick of the games ]

markets recover, people do not rise from the dead.

HTH

Jan 30, 2021, 12:58 PM

Where were you the last 40 years of old people dying?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 30, 2021, 1:13 PM

you are smarter than that

Jan 30, 2021, 12:59 PM [ in reply to Re: I am so sick of the games ]

Jan 30, 2021, 1:27 PM

I agree that there needs to be a balance. I mean we had to let someone go, that was not fun. but I would think we would prioritize human life and not say things like, well they were old and going to die anyway, as some sort of perverse rationalization for arguing against shut downs when they needed.

And right now I have a good friend of mine that was diagnosed with Colon Cancer. She started this process back in October, they are finally getting her into Surgery in two weeks. So it is not just about people getting sick, overwhelming hospital capacity has other dire effects and costs people their lives.

Jan 30, 2021, 1:48 PM

Jan 30, 2021, 2:46 PM

she is not putting anything off, it has literally taken 3 months to get all the tests scheduled and into surgery.

That's not good at all. I had colon cancer and was in

Jan 30, 2021, 2:54 PM [ in reply to Re: I am so sick of the games ]

surgery within a week and I had no obstructions or anything else that might make it more urgent. It is the second most deadly cancer, waiting can be a death sentence.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's not good at all. I had colon cancer and was in

Jan 30, 2021, 2:58 PM

yup, she still has not even gotten the results of her CT scan yet. She will find out on Wednesday if it is a death sentence.

I had surgery before the CT scan

Jan 30, 2021, 3:15 PM

The CT scan is to determine what other organs might be infected. The colon resection cuts out the part of the colon that had the cancer and they take lymph nodes near the site to see if they have been infected. The colon resection needs to be done no matter if it has metastasized or not. Any other surgery required would be separate anyways. I'd be looking for another surgeon.

Re: I had surgery before the CT scan

Jan 30, 2021, 7:26 PM

They scheduled the surgery as soon as the biopsy returned. She has not even seen the oncologist yet, that happens Wednesday, at which point she will find out how serious and further course of action.

and I am glad you got through that neil, and It gives me hope.

Message was edited by: Tigerbalm1®

I get the frustration...I really do

Jan 30, 2021, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Re: I am so sick of the games ]

But using your stats and a hypothetical...you and 99 others are invited to a party...the invitation indicates that at some point during the party, four of you are going to be invited up on stage...and one of the four will be randomly chosen to be shot on the head. Pretty good odds that it won’t be you up on stage or the one being shot...do you go? Now imagine your whole family and some friends are invited (say 6-7 people you love). Would you take your family and risk watching your father or wife or child up on that stage?

The stats you provide sound great when they’re just numbers...

With all that said...I’m tired of it too and wish it was less political. Hopefully, the numbers will continue to trend down and we can go back to normal by summer (being optimistic).

Re: I get the frustration...I really do

Jan 30, 2021, 1:22 PM

Jan 30, 2021, 1:47 PM

T3,

I agree that we need people to look at the empirical evidence and make rational decisions about how to best strike a balance that will lead us back to some semblance of normal. But that is NOT the job of journalists. Their job is to attract readers &/or viewers. And so they sensationalize everything in order to do that.

I think the experts at the CDC and Infectious Diseases are doing their best to follow the evidence and help guide decisions for a nation of 350 million. It ain't easy and the virus is doing its best to survive - at our expense.

I am tired of all of this too, but the virus doesn't give a hotshitt whether we are tired or not. So to try to save lives (I don't care what age) I am going to buckle down again and do whatever the experts say that it takes to win this battle.

Hang in there brother !

Jan 30, 2021, 1:51 PM

you fail statistics

Jan 30, 2021, 2:58 PM [ in reply to I get the frustration...I really do ]

the US death rate right now is 1.3 per thousand. And its not standing up and getting shot, its lose your business, job, and life savings or take a chance. That is the choice many had made by their state governments, but they did get a stimulus check.

Reminds me a bit of...

Jan 31, 2021, 11:39 PM [ in reply to I get the frustration...I really do ]

The Lottery by Shirley Jackson. Probably good reading for those who make light of the numbers.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

How's your coach buddy doing?

Jan 31, 2021, 11:16 PM

Hope my T&Ps were effective.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic