Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I witnessed something rather disturbing in Clemson yesterday
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 64
| visibility 1

I witnessed something rather disturbing in Clemson yesterday

Aug 17, 2014, 9:49 AM

Went to the Cookout for lunch (first of all the food was great but the drinks tasted like dish water..someone later told us a water problem in the area?). Anyways, as we were leaving I noticed a young fellow changing a tire in the parking lot. A very busy parking lot (it was move in day, which I also found out while we were there). So, I go over to offer help to this boy. As I was offering, I noticed that the tire was not flat. Curious to say the least. To my astonishment the kid's dad comes around the car and says - "We are ok. He is becoming a man today. He just has to prove to me that he can change a tire and put it back on before I leave him here for 4 years". I looked at he kid (who would not dare look up at me), looked back at the dad, then just gave a lil head not and said "Alright" and walked off.

2 things:

Dad - being able to change a tire doesn't make you a man and you prolly just guaranteed that your son graduates a virgin. TONS of people witnessed this.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I witnessed something rather disturbing in Clemson yesterday

Aug 17, 2014, 9:54 AM

Kid should be embarrassed that he hasn't changed a tire before he turned 18.

Aug 17, 2014, 9:55 AM

I don't blame the dad. The boy needs to know how to change a tire, although he should have known long before he turned 18

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 17, 2014, 10:20 AM [ in reply to Re: I witnessed something rather disturbing in Clemson yesterday ]

But couldn't this have been taken care of in their driveway? I mean, the scenery was very nice yesterday in Tigertown. And this kid is being humiliated in a public setting. Just felt for him.

Aug 17, 2014, 10:27 AM

Yes, because all tire blowouts happen in the luxury of a driveway out of public eye....*sigh*

Aug 17, 2014, 10:49 AM

So changing one in your driveway is different than changing one in a full parking lot? I mean, when I changed one on the side of 85 once, I was a bit skid-dish of the 90 mph vehicles flying by, but the procedure remained the same. I don't understand the logic. If you can change it in your driveway, then you can pretty much change 1 anywhere.

Aug 17, 2014, 10:59 AM

Spurrier's father did the same thing for him at Gainesville in 1964 , except he used changing his own underpants as his teaching moment.
Oddly , he is still wearing those fresh new drawers. Some lessons last a lifetime.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Aug 17, 2014, 11:22 AM [ in reply to Re: I witnessed something rather disturbing in Clemson yesterday ]

Actually, to answer you, yes it is different. If he gets frustrated or gets in a bind, in the driveway, he could just walk inside...go in his room, and stay there and dodge it. Out in public, he's stuck there till he changes it...just like in real life if you blew a tire on a highway. Makes him have to understand he can't just shove off what needs to be done, as well as how to change a tire in public where there will be a lot of traffic normally (unlike a driveway) and things that can distract. Really don't see anything wrong with doing it either way.

Aug 17, 2014, 12:15 PM [ in reply to Re: I witnessed something rather disturbing in Clemson yesterday ]

You're the only person that knows why he was changing the tire. Unless every woman on campus walked up to him and asked him if he needed help. Only your privileged perspective would find what that kid was doing embarrassing.

Aug 17, 2014, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Re: I witnessed something rather disturbing in Clemson yesterday ]

I've never had a flat, not embarrassed.

maybe his dad should be embarrassed for waiting until his

Aug 17, 2014, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Re: I witnessed something rather disturbing in Clemson yesterday ]

son is 18 before teaching him how to change a tire.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 17, 2014, 9:55 AM

Sad... My son turns 11 today and he has already changed a tire. You don't wait til college to prepare them for these things. Start early!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The only thing disturbing about this...

Aug 17, 2014, 9:56 AM

Is how long the dad apparently waited to confirm that his son knows how to change a tire.

This was none of your business and your opinion.....

Aug 17, 2014, 10:04 AM

on this is unnecessary - this was between the father and his son.

You sound as if this was some kind of child mistreatment or something. I would agree that making his son show how to change a tire in the parking lot of a fast food place is unusual but, again, that's between the two of them.

You don't need to pass judgement on this.

Re: This was none of your business and your opinion.....

Aug 17, 2014, 10:11 AM

i wasn't trying to make it my business. i went to offer help. Dad wasn't in sight when I walked over.

And that wasn't judgement, just 2 observations/thoughts.

Aug 17, 2014, 10:16 AM

I see nothing wrong a here, and besides, you dont know them....in a way you did judge, because you said it was 'disturbing'

maybe the guy just played xbox all day and was lazy...and the dad made a deal with him.

Aug 17, 2014, 4:06 PM [ in reply to Re: This was none of your business and your opinion..... ]

First, you do not know if this was the first time the kid had changed a tire. The dad could have made him do it to make sure he was doing it right. I see nothing wrong with it. Actually, kudos to the dad

From a female perspective....

Aug 17, 2014, 10:01 AM

I really don't find this as disturbing as I do sad. I can change a tire, oil and take care of most simple issues. The Dad waited waybtoo late. Poor kid, I feel for him.

You're probably also a very good parent. +1***

Aug 17, 2014, 10:15 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: From a female perspective....why didnt you

Aug 17, 2014, 10:58 AM [ in reply to From a female perspective.... ]

help him then?? :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: From a female perspective....why didnt you

Aug 17, 2014, 11:00 AM

Had I been there, I would have....although I doubt the Dad would have appreciated my intervention. :)

Re: From a female perspective....

Aug 17, 2014, 11:16 AM [ in reply to From a female perspective.... ]

as soon as I am divorced, will you marry me? :)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only.if we do it at Howard's Rock...

Aug 17, 2014, 11:19 AM

And run down the hill afterwards :)

Re: Only.if we do it at Howard's Rock...

Aug 17, 2014, 2:15 PM

okay!!!! ;)

Then that makes me...

Aug 17, 2014, 2:21 PM

The future Mrs. Orange. We must play a roundnat the Walker course before parting ways. :)

Oh heck no, now you're mine.***

Aug 17, 2014, 11:15 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

soccerkrzy...stay out of this. I'm going to woo her with my

Aug 17, 2014, 2:35 PM

ways!! :)

I just got back from a round of golf.

Aug 17, 2014, 2:36 PM

If she's a golfer, she's mine.

Shot an uuuuugly 80 too, ######.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^I would be thrilled with an 80...

Aug 17, 2014, 2:40 PM

Oh and Mr. Orange is first in line

Take that Mr. Krzy!!!!

Aug 17, 2014, 3:27 PM

:)

i'd call an 80 beautiful.....***

Aug 17, 2014, 3:26 PM [ in reply to I just got back from a round of golf. ]

Re: From a female perspective....

Aug 17, 2014, 4:10 PM [ in reply to From a female perspective.... ]

I am female also and can do all those things. But, we do not know if this was the kid's first time or was it the dad making sure he remembered how before he left him. The comment.."he is becoming a man today", imo, means he is on his own now and going to college and becoming a mna.

You say that but when he tells that story

Aug 17, 2014, 10:07 AM

To the young ladies he meets. When one of their tires does flat they're going to call him and he's going to be so thankful.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

My dad made sure I could change a tire ...

Aug 17, 2014, 10:15 AM

Of course I was 12. Sadly, like this father, I'm guilty of not preparing my sons a early. As for my daughter (whom I didn't prepare at all), Triple A is a wonderful thing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You sound like don't know how to change a tire !

Aug 17, 2014, 10:13 AM

Someone has to be a man in the future. There aren't many left any more because of sissy minded individuals.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You sound like don't know how to change a tire !

Aug 17, 2014, 10:18 AM

I guess I became a "man" at age 10 then. LOL. Fortunately I had a father who made me do such things, along with oil change and vehicle up keep at an early age. Heck, I was running a log splitter by 13 and hauling loads of firewood in his pickup by 15 just for spending $$$ on the weekends. While all of that made me a stronger person, I would not attribute any of that to turning me into a man.

I'm glad you learned how to do those things at an early age.

Aug 17, 2014, 10:42 AM

Hard work forms a strong work ethic and a great sense of accomplishment. Unfortunately, there's a lot of folks that know nothing about these things.

That's step #2 to becoming a man.

Aug 17, 2014, 10:59 AM

If mama had brought him they would probably be cutting the cord right there in the parking lot and he still wouldn't be able to change a tire.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

things have changed a bit since you were a kid...

Aug 17, 2014, 11:12 AM

photo 261825865_5d7f364b76_zpsdbdf3a39.jpg

;)

Re: things have changed a bit since you were a kid...

Aug 17, 2014, 11:14 AM

That wolf is actually tiny . Those are bonsai trees he is walking past.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

kidding right?***

Aug 17, 2014, 11:15 AM

Re: things have changed a bit since you were a kid...

Aug 17, 2014, 11:19 AM [ in reply to Re: things have changed a bit since you were a kid... ]

He: Siri , How do I change my own tire ?
Siri : First you will need a pry bar about 4 ft. long .
He : Why so long Siri , and why a pry bar ?
Siri : That is the minimum length a pry bar has to be for an adult to pull their own head out of their a~ss.
He: Thank you Siri .

DB23

Aug 17, 2014, 11:04 AM

I'm 23 and have no idea how to change a tire. I let some plebe from triple AAA change it for me every time I need it.

Aug 17, 2014, 11:06 AM

That is shameful. Changing a tire is something everyone that has a DL should be required to understand.

But I'm not judging.

DB23

^^^^^i won't go into a diatribe about "that's what is wrong

Aug 17, 2014, 11:08 AM [ in reply to Re: I witnessed something rather disturbing in Clemson yesterday ]

With your generation.....

Re: ^^^^^i won't go into a diatribe about "that's what is wrong

Aug 17, 2014, 11:10 AM

Probably so but I could just google how to do it on my phone if I ever need it.

Re: ^^^^^i won't go into a diatribe about "that's what is wrong

Aug 17, 2014, 11:13 AM

I'd love to be a fly on the wall. Just ask Siri...

Is daddy paying the AAA membership fee?***

Aug 17, 2014, 11:29 AM [ in reply to Re: I witnessed something rather disturbing in Clemson yesterday ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is daddy paying the AAA membership fee?***

Aug 17, 2014, 11:44 AM

No, I have a job and pay for it! Sorry to disappoint.

Aug 17, 2014, 11:49 AM

A job ? Do you work at Cookout ?

DB23

Aug 17, 2014, 11:52 AM

Nahh, Advance Auto Parts.

Aug 17, 2014, 11:55 AM

My irony detector just pegged out.

DB23

He doesn't NAPA know how.***

Aug 17, 2014, 2:37 PM

somebody knows there NASCAR!!

Aug 17, 2014, 6:04 PM

:)

Well that makes me be ashamed to be a Clemson graduate.

Aug 17, 2014, 2:35 PM [ in reply to Re: I witnessed something rather disturbing in Clemson yesterday ]

Seriously? You have no idea how to change a tire?

You cannot figure out you need to use a jack to lift the tire off the ground, remove the 5 lugs, pull the tire off, put the new one on, put in the 5 lugs, remove the jack?

LOL....At least the Dad spent a little time with his son....

Aug 17, 2014, 11:11 AM

Mine hit the brakes and left the car running when I arrived for my Freshman year.

He muttered a few words, jumped back in the car, and as my folks left, my Mother yelled back, "Don't call us....We'll call you!"

For the next four years I wandered aimlessly across our beautiful campus anxiously awaiting that phone call..............It never came.

As I was ready to graduate, I sprung for the change for a call home. When my Dad answered the phone, he said, "Harry, who?" Needless to say, I was a tad chagrinned!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: lulz

Aug 17, 2014, 11:33 AM

Shame on you, bro.

Know how I know this story isn't true?

Aug 17, 2014, 2:39 PM [ in reply to LOL....At least the Dad spent a little time with his son.... ]

Alexander Bell hadn't invented the telephone whenever you were in school!

;)

I'm one of those weird ones, I call and talk to my parents at least twice a week.

LOL....Historykrzy found me out! But it was close to the

Aug 18, 2014, 6:42 AM

truth.......The Pony Express was a wonderful invention!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why wait till then?

Aug 17, 2014, 11:12 AM

My son is starting high school and will be driving in a few months. I have already showed him how to change a tire.

The only trick I wish my dad had taught me is that on an

Aug 17, 2014, 2:40 PM

older car, usually the tire is rusted/fused to the car, and you just need to kick it hard.

Aug 17, 2014, 2:53 PM

I don't think my dad had to teach me how to change a tire. It's a completely self-explanatory process and I'm pretty sure the first time I ever did it was me by myself having to change a 33" mud-terrain. Is changing a tire something that's considered hard?

Now, carefully wiping out the door jams on your truck so your date doesn't get her dress filthy when she gets in (even after washing the outside/vaccuuming) is valuable knowledge.

Effin' millennials.

Exactly!***

Aug 17, 2014, 2:58 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 17, 2014, 3:01 PM

you disturb much too easily...get a life

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

IMHO Dad sounds like a tool on two fronts

Aug 17, 2014, 6:09 PM

1) you do that stuff in your own driveway

2) he was in the way of serious commerce and transit at Cook Out

A tool.

Replies: 64
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic