Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson not only has the highest RPI (#10) of any 5 seed
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Clemson not only has the highest RPI (#10) of any 5 seed

Mar 11, 2018, 9:23 PM

(Kentucky #16, Ohio State #20, West Virginia #29)

we're also ranked higher than any of the 4 seeds (Auburn #11, Wichita State #14, Arizona #17, Gonzaga #24) and all but one of the 3 seeds (Tennessee #8, Michigan #12, Michigan State #15, Texas Tech #21)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson not only has the highest RPI (#10) of any 5 seed

Mar 11, 2018, 9:24 PM

You get two seeds for being there the last 5 years

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Re: Clemson not only has the highest RPI (#10) of any 5 seed

Mar 11, 2018, 9:25 PM

Wow! T's Up for you.
That's impressive...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I feel like we deserved a 4 seed.

Mar 11, 2018, 9:30 PM

We don’t have the pedigree of some of the other 4 and 5 seeds (yet).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

RPI is a joke though

Mar 11, 2018, 9:35 PM

We are 19th in Kenpom which is about right for a 5 seed. That said, a lot of other teams are seeded way above/below their Kenpom ranking. Xavier getting a #1 as the 14th best team in Kenpom was certainly surprising. That also gives the Big East two #1 seeds which is equally surprising. I think you could've made a much stronger case for 2 or 3 of the Big Ten teams getting a #2 over Xavier.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I will trade all of that for Elijah getting through the 1st

Mar 11, 2018, 9:39 PM

half with no fouls...........

Something stinks in Denmark.***

Mar 11, 2018, 10:05 PM

Then Math sez we are Final 4

Mar 11, 2018, 10:56 PM

If you argue with Math you will lose

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Then Math sez we are Final 4

Mar 12, 2018, 9:34 AM

SMH

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

The RPI

Mar 12, 2018, 8:29 AM

Is the culmination of our seasons body of work... including the games where we had Grantham. I'm sure that our record without him was considered in the seed. In addition the new Quadrant system that the NCAA used to initially sort teams did not favor us this year. We won the games we were expected to win, but did not perform well against other Q1 teams.

Of the 3 seeds, Texas Tech, Tennessee, Michigan and Michigan State, we have the worst record against Quadrant 1 teams of any of those teams. Our 4-8 record vs Q1 teams (.333) is well behind even Michigan State (3-4) .428 and I don't think we belonged anywhere near this line.

Of the 4 Seeds, again, our record vs Quadrant 1 teams is not at their level. The worst of the 4 seeds was Wichita state at 3-4. Auburn, Zona and Gonzaga all had winning records vs Q1 teams.

The 5 line is the first line where you find more teams with losing records vs Q1 teams as 3 of the 4 seeds here are below .500 vs Q1 and the other (West Virginia) is at .500

In looking at the field, I can't say we belong on the 4 line using any other metric than RPI. We have a resume that more closely resembles the other 5 seeds. Had we beat FSU and Cuse on the road, we'd have been 6-6 vs Q1 and definitely been on the 4 line.

Re: The RPI

Mar 12, 2018, 8:47 AM

Had we not lostbto FSU on the road in regulation we also beat VT and maybe Duke. Mitchell doesn't get hurt in regulation.

Re: The RPI

Mar 12, 2018, 9:35 PM [ in reply to The RPI ]

Thanks for contributing more facts and figures to the discussion. I don't necessarily disagree with your logic.. just thought it was a cool stat and yet another of many reasons to be proud of our bouncy-ball Tigers.

RPI is only one metric

Mar 12, 2018, 9:21 AM

can't put too much weight on it

"The Rating Percentage Index (RPI) is one of many factors used by NCAA sports committees when evaluating team selection, seeding and bracketing."

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/mens-basketball-selections-101-selections

Re: RPI is only one metric

Mar 12, 2018, 9:31 PM

No doubt. It's a cool stat though

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic