Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I want Swoff 2 answer why he has let the SEC hijack the best
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

I want Swoff 2 answer why he has let the SEC hijack the best

Dec 4, 2019, 1:12 PM

stadium in the conf footprint year after year for their Championship game. A stadium in the city of an ACC member institution. No attempt to utilize it at a different time or date either because the SEC has a long term contract. As asleep at the switch on this as on the network start up

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They originally placed the Champ game in FL because they

Dec 4, 2019, 1:18 PM

KNEW either FSU or Miami (or both) would always be in it...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I want Swoff 2 answer why he has let the SEC hijack the best

Dec 4, 2019, 1:21 PM

I can explain for you, Swoff hates Clemson, and being that Clemson is the only ACC school playing for National Championships, Swoff just don't give a chit if they played the NC game at the home field of the team that we would play against, PERIOD, he don't care bc the ball has the wrong shape for him to care less than 1%!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2019, 1:29 PM

I agree 100% and he is still the same person he was in 1982 and got the extra year put on Clemson. He's the scum of the earth.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2019, 1:39 PM

The SECCG was originally in Birmingham, then went to Atlanta in '94. That's a decade before we even had a championship game. Swofford didn't become ACC Commissioner until 1997.

You can't blame Swofford for everything. SEC had squatter's rights on ATL long before he became ACC commissioner, much less the ACCCG. To play the game in ATL, we'd have to work around the SECCG, and nobody wants to do that.

Personally, I'd like to see the ACCCG move around (and I say that as a Charlotte resident). There are so many interesting place to play in our footprint. You could have a snow bowl one year and a luau the next. Boston, Miami, and Chicago (kind of, what with ND) are our extremities, and everything in between: Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, NYC, DC, Baltimore.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2019, 2:09 PM

Charlotte has been the only place that sells tickets. Went to Tampa in 2009 and people didn’t even know the game was in town. However, a domed stadium in Charlotte would be perfect.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2019, 2:38 PM

Heck, half of Tampa wasn't even aware there was a game in town when we were down there for the National Championship. Bars/Restaurants were opening late and closing early, completely oblivious to the extra 150,000 people in town. That was a strange experience.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2019, 2:48 PM

You should have been in San Jose. Those people didn't even know what college football is, much less who Clemson is.

Dec 4, 2019, 3:36 PM

I was in San Jose. Definitely agree with you, but at least the bars were open. I was there for the SuperBowl as well when the Panthers were in it. That Stadium is not a great place to host any football championship game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2019, 2:47 PM [ in reply to Re: I want Swoff 2 answer why he has let the SEC hijack the best ]

This year's game in CLT isn't predicted to be a sellout. How is that "perfect"?

One of the things that makes a game like the ACCCG interesting is novelty. Moving it around creates instant novelty: for the residents of the host city and for the people who travel to see the game. The game has absolutely none of that in CLT.

I get the weather issue: you don't want to have to go sit in the cold. But a few years ago when we played in the Orange Bowl, I was sitting in the Bob Uecker seats and was quite cold--I didn't properly anticipate the weather: high 40's and wind blowing more than usual in Miami (our miserable performance against WVU made it worse). The point is, you can be miserably cold in Miami under the right conditions. Personally, though, I think the sanitized, laboratory conditions of dome-football has weakened the sport.

Comparisons with the SEC don't work here because, with the exception of Kentucky, all they care about is football. This is why I like being in the ACC--despite my huge love for the game of football, there's other stuff to be interested in and proud of. Not so much in the SEC.

Dec 4, 2019, 2:19 PM [ in reply to Re: I want Swoff 2 answer why he has let the SEC hijack the best ]

Yes. SEC was there first. ACC should have went to 12 teams when they added FSU in early 90's and started a chanpionship game. That wasn't on Swoffies watch. GT was a SEC team first too.

You lost me at having it up north though. Talk about dreadful attendance. It wouldn't even stick in Florida where ACC has two teams. Charlotte is perfect.

Charlotte is perfect***

Dec 4, 2019, 2:42 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well that's a horrible fooking idea***

Dec 4, 2019, 2:41 PM [ in reply to Re: I want Swoff 2 answer why he has let the SEC hijack the best ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I liked Jacksonville!

Dec 4, 2019, 6:23 PM [ in reply to Re: I want Swoff 2 answer why he has let the SEC hijack the best ]

Jacksonville made sense as well! Jacksonville is 383 miles away from Charlotte and a quick plane ride for most fans who would end up going. Sure a plane ticket from Charlottesville or other points in VA. to Jacksonville aren't that much more than Charlotte.

The owner of the Carolina Panthers - David Tepper is talking dome soon for the franchise. That would be huge for the city of Charlotte and anyone who likes major sporting events.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ACC HQ needs to move OUT of Tobacco Road NC.

Dec 4, 2019, 1:44 PM

Fire Swofford, and move the league HQ to Atlanta, Richmond, anywhere but where it is. They're totally inept and still care mostly about basketball there and always will.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How does that hurt the league?

Dec 4, 2019, 6:35 PM

We have 4 football schools, 5 basketball schools, and 6 that could go either way. None of the schools except us, FSU, and VT draw well for football.

We are who we are.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ACC should help finance a roof on Charlotte stadium

Dec 4, 2019, 2:03 PM

Charlotte is a nice convenient destination. Just too dang wet and cold some years for the ACCCG.

At some time you need to face reality

Dec 4, 2019, 2:39 PM

Atlanta has always been a UGA town despite the fact Ga Tech is located there. There's just far more UGA alum. It's also the Geographic center of the SEC footprint. The SEC had that locked down far earlier and it was never going to change.

On top of that, the SEC has a good product to sell every year. Since 1992 only 8 teams ranked outside of the top 15 have ever played in that game. No un-ranked team has ever been in the SEC title game. 11 of the match-ups have been between top 10 teams. We can debate the legitimacy of SEC rankings on a year to year basis, but the SEC title game is a much better product than the ACC equivalent.

The ACC has produced 2 match-ups of top 10 teams and twice has had un-ranked teams as participants.

Charlotte is a good town and they put on a good event, there are events throughout Friday and Saturday to attend. Sometimes it cold. Sometimes it rains. It's football. Charlotte is a far better city than Tampa who barely acknowledged the event when it was held there (and it was cold as well). I'm not sure where in the ACC footprint would be a better host. Honestly we are fortunate it's in Charlotte as it's an easy day trip for a lot of the fanbase and within driving range for most.

There are some legit issues with Swofford to gripe about. This isn't one of them.

You know the answer. He wants our money going to his "buds"

Dec 4, 2019, 2:40 PM

in North Carolina.

Re: The SECCCG will bring more fans than the ACCCCG***

Dec 4, 2019, 3:09 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2019, 3:45 PM

He was have 0% chance of taking away Atl away from the sec. I don’t like swoff but there is nothing he could do with that.

Dec 4, 2019, 3:52 PM

I got a new location...

that looks like a cool place. they even figured out a way

Dec 4, 2019, 5:34 PM

to display the paw in that tower thingy.

Dec 4, 2019, 4:29 PM

Georgia Tech needs to man up, start whipping Georgia and stake a claim for the ACC in their own hometown. We can’t do it all.

Dec 4, 2019, 5:40 PM

If you put the Sydney Opera House in the ATL, it would be a rat hole. I will take a mediocre stadium in Charlotte any day of the week over anything in Atlanta.

Lulz, would be pretty embarrassing if

Dec 4, 2019, 5:44 PM

we held our game there also. I guess we could have the ACC game first and call it the JV game. The attendance would usually be much less.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm no fan of Swofford but seems that some folks on this

Dec 4, 2019, 6:13 PM

board will make a stink over darn near anything. Everyone has an opinion so here is mine... North Carolina is nothing but ACC country. Like it or not, North Carolina is the heart of the ACC with 4 member institutions in North Carolina alone - no other state can make such a claim. For numerous reasons, Charlotte is a more fitting location for the ACC Champ game than Atlanta or other destinations.

Sad fact is that Atlanta is generally a cesspool that is overrun with UGA/SEC fans and crime (mostly the same crowd). While Charlotte has its own bad areas, the BOA Stadium is in a fairly nice part of town, is well policed, has plenty of good restaurants/bars within walking distance of the stadium, with traffic flow getting in/out of the ACC Champ game being very easy. Additionally, the town of Charlotte embraces the ACC Champ game (once again - it is in the heart of ACC country with no SEC competitors). As others have mentioned, Atlanta is an SEC town regardless of GA Tech being in Atlanta. The sad fact is, outside of the GA Tech Campus, the rest of Georgia is almost exclusively UGA/SEC fans.

I'm happy the ACC doesn't attempt to go to Atlanta for our Champ game - we would always be second to the SEC in Atlanta. I'd rather spend my money in Charlotte where the ACC is embraced than in Atlanta where they could not care less that we exist.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2019, 6:23 PM

I am glad we platy the championship in Charlotte. Football is an outdoor sport. Go tigers !!

Dec 4, 2019, 6:51 PM

Charlotte is a lot easier to get to for almost all of South Carolina. BofA stadium is maybe 9 miles from the border. It's basically a home game every time Clemson makes the Championship game even if the opponent is UNC. This is one of the weirder complaints I've read on here. I'm actually surprised other ACC fan-bases aren't trying to move it somewhere else because it isn't really fair.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic