Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I remember when ........
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

I remember when ........

Jun 11, 2012, 9:08 AM

When I think back to my youth and Clemson football, there are a few memories that are the most vivid to me. I mean, there is alot that I recall but certain ones made the deepest impression in my mind. For example, when I was young, like many other kids, i went to Danny Ford's football camp and I remember getting my pisture taken on his knee. I still have that picture today. I still remember him saying, "Come here youngster." I was scared to death. I thought he was super man at the time.

And then, one time after a game, I took my seat cushion to get a couple of the players to sign it. Which by the way was a poor choice, they fade easy on those things, and guess who was the first guy I walked up to. The Fridge. Even to this day, there was an imprint in my memory that to this day, resonates. I cant shake the visual. I was pretty young and as he was holding the coushion and signing it, I was watching his hand and he had a watch on with a gold band... you know, the kind with the links that you can stretch to get it to go over your hand and onto your wrist. Well, as I watched him sign the cushion, I remember seeing his watch and his links were stretched to the max. It looked like his watch was really too small but in reality, his wrists were massive.

And one other I'll never forget. One of my earlier experiences at a Clemson game, I was struck by all the people cooking out and tailgating. My family didnt do any of that back then. But I was glad to be there and i stopped to watch this one guy cooking all this stuff on his grill. Man he had everything. I thought it was so cool. And, maybe it was his wife, I dont know, she brought me a big plate of food and said, " here you go little fella." I thought to myself, these are the nicest people ever. Well I ate my food and went and gave that lady a big hug and left. All i remember bout her was that she was older with a Tigerpaw on her cheek. Was a long time ago.

After those days, I loved that place. Always will. Win or lose.

So if you are a recruit looking to belong to a place that has tradition and is a real family, the Clemson is worth a really hard look. Nothing compares.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I remember when ........

Jun 11, 2012, 9:34 AM

Very nice thanks--point

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 11, 2012, 9:36 AM

Watching Raymond Priester run through the Valley.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jun 11, 2012, 10:13 AM

In 1979, my dad became an automobile donor and for the next 20 years, we enjoyed the benifits of IPTAY membership. (He stopped in 1989 when Ford was fired.) So in 1981, I was 8 year old and only in my 2nd full season of attending home games. Naturally, winning the NC built a solid foundation for being a lifelong Clemson fan.

My dad bought me an autograph football and took me to fan appreciation day in the spring of 1982. I vividly remember Perry Tuttle and Homer Jordan sitting at a table and naturally had the biggest crowd around them. If I only got two autographs, it was theirs I wanted. I never could get close enough to the table, but some other kids at created an "assembly line" of sorts through the crowd and under the table where another kid was passing itmes up to them. I sent my football, thinking I may never see it again. But about 10 minutes later it came back with my most prized autographs. I ended up having the entire team, Ford, The Tiger (Ricky Capps) and even the President sign that ball. Over the years I have retraced the autographs 2 or three times as they have faded. I still have it, but a lot of the autographs have faded yet again. But you can still clearly see the autograph of Ford, Tuttle, Jordan and Willam Perry, Jeff Davis and William Devane.

Jun 11, 2012, 11:06 AM

So many great memories. One that stands out is going to the 1st Blue Bonnett Bowl in my freshman year (1959). We defeated TCU. Others include memories of Coach Howard, going to classes with Jimmy Howard and others, sitting in the stands on Sat. drinking PJ made from dinning hall "bug juice", and going to Dan's for a burger. Oh, the flash backs old people have.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wait a minute...you mean Danny Ford put you on his knee

Jun 11, 2012, 10:31 AM

like Santa Claus? Why does that seem a little creepy to me?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Everybody ain't like your uncle badtouch. hth***

Jun 11, 2012, 10:36 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Everybody ain't like your uncle badtouch. hth***

Jun 11, 2012, 10:38 AM

Still laughing. Thanks.

I wasn't putting Danny in the same category as Sandusky. Just sayin'.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

I remember in 6th grade, my Dad brought a buddy and me to

Jun 11, 2012, 12:55 PM

a game, and he bought us seats that were right beside the student section. I was sitting next to a co-ed, and when she leaned over to get her drink off the ground, it was obvious she wasn't wearing a bra.

I swore to myself right then and there that I would be a Clemson Tiger one day. Also, I don't recall watching much of that game after that.

Jun 11, 2012, 11:31 PM

Great Post!
Thanks!
GO TIGERS!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2012, 11:32 AM

We moved my sister in in August 1965 into the brand-new Manning Hall. Dr. Edwards was there greeting everyone, wearing a jacket and bow tie(I didn't know it was HIS custom...).
He helped unload cars and put belongings on the carts. The PR's were there to help(in uniform, no less) and the circle was jammed with new co-eds.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic