Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Cowherd discusses "Conspiracy Theory" with CFB rankings
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Cowherd discusses "Conspiracy Theory" with CFB rankings

Nov 12, 2015, 10:36 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=U3vLjH1yXRQ

Joel Klatt has some thoughts on the College Football Playoff committee.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't bait me into giving that cut clicks

Nov 12, 2015, 10:37 AM

Worst Shock-Jock in the business.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it's predominantly joel klatt? with set up from cowherd...***

Nov 12, 2015, 10:44 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Of course there's a conspiracy...

Nov 12, 2015, 10:42 AM

otherwise Bama wouldn't be in the top four let alone at No. 2.

Although I doubt Cowherd sees it that way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Yes, if people think Alabama is one of the best four teams..

Nov 12, 2015, 10:45 AM

There MUST be a conspiracy. There's no way anyone could actually have that opinion.

I know I know. The loss to Ole Miss was a fluke...

Nov 12, 2015, 11:00 AM

and should not be counted against them (rolling eyes).

It's just a shame that every team isn't granted that same dispensation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, as you know, I don't feel that way.

Nov 12, 2015, 11:03 AM

And I highly doubt the committee does, either.

Apparently the committee does feel that way....

Nov 12, 2015, 11:19 AM

based on the committee putting that at No. 2.

That's a false equivalence.

Nov 12, 2015, 11:23 AM

Having Bama at #2 doesn't necessarily mean you think their loss should be "discounted".

Alabama has played 8 other games, which should also count toward how we judge them as a team.

They have a loss to an unranked team with 3 losses.

Nov 12, 2015, 11:37 AM

The loss was at home, and it was a domination for the most part, as Ole Miss controlled the game. Bama only has 2 wins against ranked teams and a loss but find themselves 2nd. Please explain.

Message was edited by: drewtigeralum03®

I would expand it beyond "ranked teams".

Nov 12, 2015, 11:45 AM

They have six wins against teams that are at least decent. Clemson is probably the only other team who can make that claim. Most of the top teams only have 3 or 4, at best.

If they win out, there's a very good chance they will

Nov 12, 2015, 11:49 AM

have beaten 10 teams who made a bowl game.

Name those 6?

Nov 12, 2015, 11:50 AM [ in reply to I would expand it beyond "ranked teams". ]

Wisconsin
Arkansas
UT
LSU

Tamu has proven to be terrible, but I guess you could count them. You're not counting Georgia as a good team are you?

Yes, "at least decent".

Nov 12, 2015, 12:10 PM

Wisconsin, Texas A&M, Georgia, Arkansas, LSU, Tennessee

Georgia is going to finish with anywhere from 7 to 9 wins.

Would you consider

Nov 12, 2015, 12:35 PM

South Carolina, Vanderbilt, or Kentucky to be UGA's best win?

Kentucky***

Nov 12, 2015, 1:13 PM

I'm gonna side with the chicken on this one. You can do the

Nov 12, 2015, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Would you consider ]

same with A LOT of teams, including FSU. Their best wins are Miami and Louisville - both at home. Their other 4 conference opponents have won a combined 3 ACC games, and they were one of those 3. Non con wins came against Texas ST and USF.

Re: Name those 6?

Nov 12, 2015, 3:24 PM [ in reply to Name those 6? ]

Scratch Arkansas and Tennessee off of the list of " good teams " that the Tide has beaten .
Right now they have 2 good wins in my estimation Wisconsin on a neutral and LSU @ home .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

If I have an issue with the playoff committee

Nov 12, 2015, 11:08 AM [ in reply to Yes, if people think Alabama is one of the best four teams.. ]

Then it probably comes down to the whole concept of "best". I really don't gripe about these early rankings because i am taking them at their word that there will (potentially) be movement based on some of the other undefeated teams (potentially) winning out against the meat of their schedule.

But, I think where it gets strange to me is when we start arguing "best". Is Alabama a very dang good team? Probably. Are they the "best"? I don't know, that's pure guesswork. It's an opinion because there is no set metric for "best". My metric is considerably more skewed to record then it is to the infamous eye test. Because the thing that eye-test brings is purely subjective, and can be argued, while scoreboard simply can't.

But I know they've been tasked with getting the "best" 4 teams. I just think that's a wrong-headed way to look at it. I'd much rather there be a concrete, inarguable, settled-on-the-field-with-actual-in-game-points set of criteria. Win your conference? You're into the playoffs. Don't? And you are most likely out. Sure that means a 8-4 conference champ gets a shot every now and then, but it also means that every dang team playing in a power 5 conference (and I'd prefer conference realignment to do away with the whole concept of power 5 vs not, but that's a whole other can of worms) has a path to the title. Win your conference, and win in the playoff.

I like the idea that "best" is left to arguments over beer, and actual truly measurable criteria is used to determine a champion.

Well, it mostly settles out by the end.

Nov 12, 2015, 11:16 AM

For example, if Alabama doesn't win their conference they won't be in. Alabama will not be in ahead of an undefeated major conference team, because there can only be three of those anyway.

So, in the end, their spot, or lack thereof, will be even more objectively sound.

*will not be in INSTEAD of

Nov 12, 2015, 11:20 AM

I won't say necessarily that they won't be ahead of an undefeated Big 12 team. But they would both be in the playoff without a problem.

True, it typically does

Nov 12, 2015, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Well, it mostly settles out by the end. ]

It's all just fodder for conversation at this point. I just would rather the metric be concrete, but that just seems to easy to be true to me.

Yeah nothing matters till the end. But it's weird how with

Nov 12, 2015, 11:26 AM

Bama we use the eye test. With Clemson, we use the resume. Florida is all the way at #10 when they have the same resume as Bama. Ohio St over Iowa due to the eye test.

It's just all over the place. But it really doesn't matter till the end. Some of these will work its way out.

Bama should not be #2. Iowa should not be #5. How could

Nov 12, 2015, 11:13 AM [ in reply to Yes, if people think Alabama is one of the best four teams.. ]

anyone argue against that? Iowa has beaten 2 top 25 teams. Ohio St...zero. Iowa has beaten numerous teams with a winning record. OSU has beaten like 2 or 3. The only reason is a bias towards a "name"

Bama lost at home to an average Ole Miss team. They beat a good LSU team and a pretty good Wisconsin team. How should they be ranked ahead of any undefeated team from a power 5? Makes no sense at all.

How is Florida's resume worse than Bama?

OSU has only beaten 1 Power 5 team

Nov 12, 2015, 11:22 AM

that has a winning record at this point in the season. Iowa ,should, at this point , be ranked higher than OSU.

Iowa should be ahead of Bama. Florida and Bama have similar

Nov 12, 2015, 11:23 AM

resumes. You could argue Florida should be ranked above Bama.

A team that almost lost to Vandy last weekend?

Nov 12, 2015, 2:21 PM

What's the argument for Florida? That they beat Ole Miss and Bama didn't? Well Florida lost to an LSU team that Bama just clobbered.

Because resumes are getting blended with assessments

Nov 12, 2015, 2:19 PM [ in reply to Bama should not be #2. Iowa should not be #5. How could ]

of how good teams actually are. Some of it is subjective ("eye test"), but some of it is also based on statistical evidence.

Iowa is kind of the opposite of Baylor. Iowa has the resume (i guess), but hasn't looked overly impressive compiling those wins.

Then there's Baylor. My eyes and my brain tell me that Baylor is a very good team, but if you rank them strictly on resume they probably don't even deserve to be in the top 10, much less top 4. They've beaten absolutely nobody. And yet they've looked pretty darn impressive beating those nobodies and there's statistical evidence (and my brain) suggesting that they will still be a very good team even when they start playing other good teams. So do you rank Baylor somewhere like 15 where their resume probably suggests they should be ranked? Or do you rank them closer to the top 4 because you think they really are a very good football team?

Personally I don't have an issue with Bama at #2 or ND at #4. And if teams like Ohio St, Baylor or OK St win out, there's a pretty good chance they could jump Bama by the end.

Re: Because resumes are getting blended with assessments

Nov 12, 2015, 2:40 PM

haha ... nobody jumps bama unless bama loses. They are making sure the sec is in. LSU and/or Florida will climb quickly to replace bama. SEC will not be left out. 8 team playoff here we come!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't say Bama would get left out. I said a couple of

Nov 12, 2015, 2:54 PM

teams could potentially jump them. If Ohio St beats Mich St, Mich, and Iowa in consecutive weeks to finish 13-0, you don't think they could jump Bama (and maybe even us)? If Baylor were to finish the season 12-0 beating Oklahoma, Ok St, and TCU (latter 2 on the road), you don't think they would have a chance of jumping Bama?

But Nebraska is West of the Mississippi, why would Tom Osborne be against

Nov 12, 2015, 10:44 AM

them?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

i doubt he wood be so they kindly ask him to leave...***

Nov 12, 2015, 10:45 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...and they never mentioned the ACC or Clemson.

Nov 12, 2015, 10:50 AM [ in reply to But Nebraska is West of the Mississippi, why would Tom Osborne be against ]

It seems most agree that Clemson is above it all... What most don't realize is the youth and depth.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because those other schools

Nov 12, 2015, 11:00 AM [ in reply to But Nebraska is West of the Mississippi, why would Tom Osborne be against ]

west of the Mississippi don't play phone booth football.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Guess because Nebraska is now in the B1G

Nov 12, 2015, 11:01 AM [ in reply to But Nebraska is West of the Mississippi, why would Tom Osborne be against ]

and plays B1G brand of football.

Re: Cowherd discusses "Conspiracy Theory" with CFB rankings

Nov 12, 2015, 11:53 AM

What continually gets left out of these arguments is the Big 12's defiant attitude towards the committee.

Big 12: "We are going to load up our OOC schedules with non-P5 patsies, schedule our most difficult games at the end of the year so we have 3-4 undefeateds come November. CFP Committee, we dare you to leave us out."

CFP Committee:

Re: Cowherd discusses "Conspiracy Theory" with CFB rankings

Nov 12, 2015, 2:50 PM

Big 12 should not be in discussion until they get a championship game. They have a lot of team that are not any good, and on top of that, they play a crappy OOC schedule.

The winner of the conference is the tallest midget.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic