Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Don’t forget men’s soccer hosting Stanford in NCAA Elite 8 tomorrow
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,718

Don’t forget men’s soccer hosting Stanford in NCAA Elite 8 tomorrow

Dec 5, 2019, 7:30 PM

Start time 6pm.

Huge huge game. We are trying to make the college cup final 4 for the first time since 2015. Stanford was the Three time defending national Champion from (2015-2017) before Maryland took it all last year.

Hopefully Riggs will be packed. This is the grandest stage possible for college soccer hosted at Clemson. NCAA quarterfinals vs a blue blood elite program with our most entertaining and skilled team probably since 1987.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don’t forget men’s soccer hosting Stanford in NCAA Elite 8 tomorrow

Dec 5, 2019, 7:49 PM

I can't wait TIP. Good summary of how big the match is. It will really help if we can get to near full capacity like we do against the crappy SCAR teams early season.

I was there in 1987 btw. 11 years old and it was awesome!

I hope you are right about 1987

Dec 5, 2019, 11:08 PM

It seems pretty equivalent to the 1998 team that lost in the quarters to the eventual champ, Indiana. Somehow Clemson and Indiana were ranked #1 and #2 almost all year that year and still met in the quarterfinals (in Clemson). Robbie Robinson is probably the best individual talent we've had since Wojtek Krakowiak that year (at least on attack side - Gooch would be up there if defenders included) - not sure which of the two is more talented.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I hope you are right about 1987

Dec 6, 2019, 4:55 AM

I was thinking the same thing about the 1998 team. We were #1 all year and won the ACC tournament, which was held in Wake Forest in it's entirety. I was there for that too. Couldn't make it to that quarterfinal against Indiana, which I believe we lost 1-0.

If we can get through this game, I know we will have a lot of support in Raleigh. Win it all and we are right back where we should be. One of the greatest college soccer programs of all time.

Cheers to Dr. Ibrahim, the architect.

I wasn't alive, but I thought Clemson hosted the 1987 final.***

Dec 6, 2019, 5:08 AM

Re: I wasn't alive, but I thought Clemson hosted the 1987 final.***

Dec 6, 2019, 5:16 AM

Yes. It was in Clemson. I remember it well. 10k+ estimated crowd and televised on ESPN. There were 100's of people wrapped around the outside of the fences at Riggs because it sold out. I think official attendance was almost 9k inside with 1k+ outside. It was an amazing environment. One I will never forget. Bruce Murray -vs- Eric Wynalda!

Re: I wasn't alive, but I thought Clemson hosted the 1987 final.***

Dec 6, 2019, 7:11 AM [ in reply to I wasn't alive, but I thought Clemson hosted the 1987 final.*** ]

A great atmosphere in 1987, I was a junior then. Clemson hosted the final 4. We sat on the Holtzendorf patio to watch. Believe us and San Diego State were the last two at large teams to make the tournament yet faced off in the championship game.

they did

Dec 6, 2019, 9:20 AM [ in reply to I wasn't alive, but I thought Clemson hosted the 1987 final.*** ]

but the final fours are always at neutral sites now.

Dec 6, 2019, 6:02 AM

I thought is was tonight?

The Indiana game in '98 was

Dec 6, 2019, 6:13 AM

Probably the best collegiate soccer match I ever saw...and I've seen some good ones. Riggs was positively packed...best crowd I'd ever been a part of. Krakowiak's goal was incredible. Everyone knew that, while it was a QF match, in reality, it was the title game. A wonderful match despite the outcome.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2019, 6:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Don’t forget men’s soccer hosting Stanford in NCAA Elite 8 tomorrow ]

It is. TIP posted this yesterday. Tonight at 6PM. Stoopid it is not 7:00 to give people a little more time to get home from work and go. Probably a TV thing. Be there or uhhhh be round!

Dec 6, 2019, 7:17 AM

LOL . I know...That was my attempt at humor.

GO TIGERS***

Dec 6, 2019, 10:16 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2019, 10:17 AM

Go Time !
Final Four Baby !

Kick and dribble that ball into a net without the use of your hands.... uhh... soccer guys ! ( I don't know soccer very well )

Go Tigers !

Message was edited by: Tigerdug23®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,718
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic