Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I hope nobody finds film footage of the
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 4,771

I hope nobody finds film footage of the

Jul 24, 2018, 9:41 PM

1977 and 78 teams smoking cigars in the locker room after games, while singing, "I don't give a #### about the whole state of ______________" (fill in the day's opponent into the blank. And that was pretty much an every week occurrence.

This up tight society today wouldn't be able to handle it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I hope nobody finds film footage of the

Jul 24, 2018, 10:28 PM

I remember but I would like to see video again if someone will post it. Just for old times sake. Good memories after suffering through many lackluster years.

Those were some good memories.***

Jul 24, 2018, 10:59 PM

Jul 24, 2018, 11:09 PM [ in reply to Re: I hope nobody finds film footage of the ]

And the coots holding up their tee shirts. No cigar today!!! Them Butler made the catch

Jul 24, 2018, 11:16 PM

See armsb I’d never call you a coot.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2018, 11:22 PM

You have no reason too

Jul 24, 2018, 11:51 PM

Curious why you called me one.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dang that was a sweet Thanksgiving.***

Jul 24, 2018, 11:30 PM [ in reply to Re: I hope nobody finds film footage of the ]

That was the absolute ultimate moment. I often wonder

Jul 24, 2018, 11:56 PM [ in reply to Re: I hope nobody finds film footage of the ]

how many people other than my dad and I even remember that and how it went down. Games were rarely televised then, but that moment and game was on ABC Television.

Re: That was the absolute ultimate moment. I often wonder

Jul 25, 2018, 12:19 AM

I don’t remember the ones holding up the tee shirts but just remember fans around us yelling out no cigar for your boys today...

Oh, on the ABC broadcast, after the coots took the lead,

Jul 25, 2018, 12:39 AM

they were on their bench showing off their shirts. The had t-shirts on under their shoulder pads. All they had to do was pull up their jersey and it was there for all the ABC cameras to see.

"No Cigars Today"

What was so cootish about it was had they continued to get blown out and beat, they would have nevre let anyone know they had those shirts ready to go. But when they took the lead, they just couldn't stand it. All they had to do was wait another one minute something until the end of the game. Had they waited, and lost, they wouldn't have made fools of themselves. But they just couldn't wait. They lifted their jerseys and showed off their shirts right after the touchdown to go ahead 27-24. And here come Steve Fuller and Jerry Butler down the field. Priceless!

I went to every game from 1972-1986 with the exception of this 1977 game. I saw that moment on tv. That was the same day that earlier in the day Woody Hayes punched a cameraman in a 14-6 loss to Michigan. That was the double header and for some reason the OSU michigan game was the earlier at noon.

Fast forward to the 2:10:00 mark

Jul 25, 2018, 12:53 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h1zOKl50TM

Re: Fast forward to the 2:10:00 mark

Jul 25, 2018, 8:55 AM

Thank you so much for posting this. Didn’t remember it being on tv for some reason. Just remember I thought we were going to bring down the end zone stands... I think we celebrated that more than 81 natty. Well, maybe not because couldn’t talk for a week after every game back then.

That's great, thanks for posting.

Jul 25, 2018, 9:42 AM [ in reply to Fast forward to the 2:10:00 mark ]

It's funny, that's the first time I've ever actually seen the entire last drive leading up to the catch and i was somehow expecting it all to be more dramatic. I understand we had blown a huge lead and that added some drama to the entire last drive, but The Catch happened on 1st down with over 1 minute left. We probably still could've won or at least tied the game even if he had dropped it. Somehow in my head i had always imagined it was either a 4th down or the clock was about to expire.

I agree. Felt the same here when I watched after all these

Jul 25, 2018, 3:07 PM

years. I was 14 when it happened. When coot players were lifting their shirts to say no Cigars today, I was in the bathroom crying. Yes, I hate to admit that. Fourteen is a little old to be doing that, but at least I went to a private place to do it. While in there crying, I heard a loud roar from the living room, a bunch of my parents friends had gathered to watch it. Anyway, I heard the loud roar and came running out. It was a huge party after that.

A coot friend of my parents had called the house when they took the lead. She should have just waited a little longer, but like her players, she just couldn't resist. I think a bunch of gamecock people were at her house. Anyway, after the game, they our bunch her house back and she would not answer. Back then, if a game was on tv, it was not uncommon for people to have a watch party, especially if it was an away game. If a game in Clemson, most people went to the game.

I was at the 1977 game and was never aware of

Jul 25, 2018, 7:46 PM [ in reply to That's great, thanks for posting. ]

the “No Cigar Today” tee shirts. Premature exposure was too funny!

It was my son’s (Clemson 2000) first Clemson-Carolina game - my wife was 6 months pregnant with him! She was in MSW Grad School and had to stand in line for our student Section tickets. Wore our Clemson orange but left quickly after Butler’s Catch #1, while the SCar fans were still in shock! Too sweet!

I’d forgotten that senior Ron (Remember the Titans) Bass was the SCar QB and that George Rogers was their RB.

Apologize for poor quality of screen grab of “No Cigar Today” screen grab.

Their premature showing of the shirts was icing on the cake***

Jul 26, 2018, 12:00 AM

THANKS for posting this. I may watch it today.

Jul 26, 2018, 10:12 AM [ in reply to Fast forward to the 2:10:00 mark ]

Slow day at work.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

cause we're from clemson u***

Jul 24, 2018, 11:02 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just pi$$ed there’s no Men’s Clinic.***

Jul 25, 2018, 12:24 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2018, 11:12 PM

Remember being in the lockerroom in Athens after we won 7-6. Still see a couple scars on my leg breaking through the hedge but we ran right into the lockerroom with all the other players. One of the best memories of my life!!!

At that moment It made all the spitting and cokes and beer thrown at us even that much better.

It went on in the 90's under West also. I remember

Jul 25, 2018, 12:26 AM

After his final game as a coach Jason LeMay and some others smoking their cigars after beating Brad Scott's coots.

I also recall talking with Antwan Edwards after his final game as a Tiger but he was in tears at the thought of never playing another game in DV. I always liked two players often forgotten in Edwards and Miller. Two incredible ballers who gave their all every game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Antuan Edwards did them in in cootlumbia in 1997. I think he

Jul 25, 2018, 12:44 AM

had a pick 5 and another pick and long return. After the game, it was said that they scouted Edwards and thought his weak hip action in coverage made him vulnerable. Oh well, guess that didn't work out too well for them.

My first live college game... The day I became a Clemson fan

Jul 25, 2018, 4:08 AM

Opposite side of the field from "The Catch" about twenty rows up on the same goal line... My mind's snapshot could have been a Sports Illustrated cover.

Back then, we celebrated the ride home with our own 'cigar'.....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ah yes the late 70’s, when being a bigot was easy

Jul 26, 2018, 10:07 AM

That era (and pretty much every era before it) was good to only demographic of people. The rest of America suffered.

I’d rather live in this modern “up tight” society where everyone has a shot to make it.

Being a bigot has never been acceptable to me and yes,

Jul 27, 2018, 6:45 AM

today is much better for anyone that had to experience prejudice of any kind. I, myself, being married to a Mexican have experienced plenty. What I meant by uptight society is a society that clutches its pearls at any questionable behavior such as, oh, I don't know, Maybe SINGING A SONG THAT SAYS I DON"T GIVE A #### ABOUT A WHOLE STATE, AND SMOKING CIGARS WHILE DOING IT!

If you are implying that I preferred a less uptight time due to bigotry, you are definitely barking up the wrong tree and can take that BS somewhere else. You won't find a more politically liberal person on Tigernet that me. You can scan past posts if you have too.

And, let's see people being uptight about players dancing at

Jul 27, 2018, 7:10 AM

a Ladies football clinic, which is what precipitated the whole uptight referral. Good lord. ANd maybe uptight about every Mexican being a gang member or rapist, or calling the police on every minority person that is simply trying to use a neighborhood pool, or nap in a dorm study room. That's what is uptight about today's society. All of that is what I was referring to and yes, maybe today's uptight society is worse than 1977 and 78.

Obligatory:

Jul 27, 2018, 8:56 AM [ in reply to Being a bigot has never been acceptable to me and yes, ]

Pigs of wife???

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But I DO hope they find video of the coots' t-shirts that

Jul 27, 2018, 9:02 AM

read "No cigar today" as Fuller threw to Butler for The Catch I.

LOL!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

or Danny spitting chew on the sidelines.***

Jul 27, 2018, 9:15 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 29
| visibility 4,771
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic