Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Okay so not to say I wouldn't be excited about playing...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Okay so not to say I wouldn't be excited about playing...

May 21, 2012, 4:48 PM

Ok and Texas....

But I've spent my fall in Death Valley since I was 2 years old... and I guess there is some sort of nostalgia about playing teams like GT and NCSU... I was there in the OT Miami game when the stadium was literally moving because of how loud it was... or how regardless of how bad either team is, how Maryland and WF always give us a run for our money. I was there when Matt Ryan personally broke my heart in the valley.

Sure it's not a football superpower, but I think I'd miss the the ACC some.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GT is the only game I would miss....***

May 21, 2012, 4:56 PM

And FSU but the speculation is that they would leave with us***

May 21, 2012, 4:57 PM

Yes, that was my assumption.***

May 21, 2012, 4:58 PM

I agree so let's bring em along!***

May 21, 2012, 4:57 PM [ in reply to GT is the only game I would miss....*** ]

Yes, it needs to be us, FSU, & GT. VT would be the icing!***

May 21, 2012, 5:00 PM

I have tons of friends and coworkers from

May 21, 2012, 5:06 PM

NCSU, UNC, Wake, GT, VT, FSU, Pitt and Syracuse. I have SOME Maryland, UVA and Duke friends...even a couple from BC. Really the only school I really don't know anyone from is Miami.

In the Big 12, I don't know a single person from any of those schools (except WV).

I would suspect, if you examine where Clemson gets the majority of its students and where the majority of the alumni live, that the overwhelming majority would say the same thing.

People on here are mocking the idea that playing NCSU or UVA or Maryland is of the slightest interest, but I will never ever ever find playing Kansas or Iowa State even remotely as interesting. Even when they are good...which is rare.

null

This is true, especially in Charlotte.***

May 21, 2012, 5:15 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
- Steve Martin

Re: I have tons of friends and coworkers from

May 21, 2012, 10:24 PM [ in reply to I have tons of friends and coworkers from ]

oh well...bye bye acc

Yep

May 21, 2012, 10:28 PM [ in reply to I have tons of friends and coworkers from ]

According to Clemson's Alumni Site.

33,224 Alumni in ACC States (FL, GA, MA, MD, NC, NY, PA, VA)
2,854 Alumni in Big XII States (TX, OK, KS, IA, WV)

http://www.clemson.edu/alumni/dashboard/

Dallas is a long way from DC and NY...

May 22, 2012, 8:37 AM [ in reply to I have tons of friends and coworkers from ]

and yet fans of the Cowboys, Redskins, and Giants hate each other and have flourishing NFL rivalries, despite the fact that there is probably minimal daily fanbase contact.

Let's be realistic. What seems to be unfolding is a mass exodus of eastern football schools from their various conferences (esp. ACC), so any future B12 East will likely have several familiar foes. Someone from the Midwest will likely end up in the East; increased exposure will breed contempt in that case.

Change is inevitable. We must do what is best for Clemson from a financial and competitive standpoint. And that is saying goodbye to the ACC.

I will be more worried if even one school leaves and we do nothing.

If I wanted to be an NFL fan, I'd be an NFL fan.******

May 22, 2012, 8:58 AM

null

Re: Okay so not to say I wouldn't be excited about playing...

May 21, 2012, 10:06 PM

In football, I'd miss playing NC State and, as much as I hate to say it, UVA and even UNC. I despise both of those teams but they feel like natural opponents.

I won't miss playing GT until we figure out their offense and/or they change their offense. That's when I'd miss that rivalry the most.

I'd also miss playing Virginia Tech, though that's not really much of an established rivalry.

I'd miss the road trips to Boston and playing BC is fun, but I wouldn't exactly lose sleep if we didn't play them anymore.

I don't care that much about playing Maryland every year, although I do give props to the fact that Maryland and Clemson were the founders and original superpowers of the conference. Since the 1990's though that rivalry has mostly been either a snoozer or extremely frustrating because vastly inferior Maryland teams kept finding ways to beat us.

I really couldn't care less about playing Wake, Duke, or Miami.

May 21, 2012, 10:15 PM

You know we could probably still schedule some of them as OOC opponents, right?

May 22, 2012, 7:25 AM

Sure, but it'd be a once-every-decade series more than likely (see: UGA). I don't know how many of them would be particularly open to playing Clemson if they're stuck in a depleted, no-longer-relevant ACC though.

In football, I would miss playing Ga Tech the most, then

May 21, 2012, 10:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Okay so not to say I wouldn't be excited about playing... ]

UNC, UVA, and Va Tech. I am fairly indifferent about Miami, Boston College, Wake and Duke. Will not miss MD and NC State (the worst football fans in the ACC).

In basketball, I will miss Duke the most, then UNC, MD, Va Tech and Ga Tech. Fairly indifferent about UVA, BC, Wake and NC State. Will not miss Miami.

In baseball, will miss Miami, UNC, UVA, and Ga Tech. Very indifferent about the rest.

In soccer, I will miss them all because soccer is not a Big 12 sport.

May 21, 2012, 10:22 PM

I still think the prospect of playing OU, Texas, OSU, TCU, KSU, and maybe even FSU and whoever else comes along is much better competition than what we're used to, plus it will just be a nice change of pace to finally see some different teams and have a shot at getting to the NC.

Other than Texas and Oklahoma and WVU, I am

May 21, 2012, 10:31 PM

Completely indifferent toward playing amy team I'm the Big 12. Therefore, I am hoping that FSU and Ga Tec and either Va Tech or Notre Dame sign up with us. Even Pitt would be a much more interesting game to me than Iowa State, the Kansas schools, Baylor or Texas Tech.

The ACC...is not...the reason...we haven't...made it...

May 21, 2012, 10:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Okay so not to say I wouldn't be excited about playing... ]

to the National Championship game.

Unless you mean "Stoopid ACC...if it wasn't for NCSU and GT beating the snot out of us, we would have been in the National Championship game."

We were ranked 5th in the country before the GT game last year. We started the season unranked. That's a huge show of respect for our program.

null

It's a little like taking a new job acrosss the country...

May 22, 2012, 9:02 AM

...which I've done a time or two. It stinks to leave friends, and you may find that even people that annoy you have their quirky charms. But growth usually involves change.

I see this move as:
(1) Validation of something the Clemson Family has long felt, but was generally lost on those around us. We are good enough to play on a bigger stage.

(2) a call-up from AAA to the majors. We may have felt that way ... now it's time to prove it. If we're getting a chance to be part of football's elite, it's time to bring Clemson's unique blend of down-home charm and behind-the-barn beatdowns back.

We're Clemson: we're better than that. And now we get a chance to prove it.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's a little like taking a new job acrosss the country...

May 22, 2012, 9:17 AM

Dang it Rev - why do I always have the overwhelming urge to TU every post you make? It's not like I'm going affect your pulse. Maybe it's because I envision you striking that pose in your sig before every post. :)

Actually, it's simply because you consistently articulate what I would much more effectively than I could.

Naw, it's 'cause you're in Mount Pleasant...

May 22, 2012, 9:27 AM

...and its the nuances of a Wando High School education influencing your subconscious.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I miss playing top level teams!!!

May 22, 2012, 9:28 AM

Like UGA! I graduated during the great UGA games!

Top level teams have not been in the ACC.

Until we regularly play top level teams, we will never rise back to that level. I want a conference with the best teams. Playing teams of high quality, i smuch better than playing NCSU, etc.

What i love about college football is seeing matchups of great teams! Until we join a conference with them, we will not be a part of those matchups. If you think those games you mentioend were great, wait until Clemson knocks off a number one Texas ot OK in Death Valley!

Go Tigers!!!

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic