Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why are some here so convinced that the ACC is dying?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Why are some here so convinced that the ACC is dying?

Nov 20, 2012, 10:27 AM

I think some of you are buying into the ESPN hype, fueled by internet "experts" who think they know what's going on. Top to bottom, the ACC is in great shape. Football is down right now, but that won't last. Basketball is great, and Olympic sports are great. It has history, good geography of schools (especially compared to most others), and is on good footing financially. Contrary to internet "rumors," the ACC is not getting left behind financially nor are its teams being left out of some super duper playoff system.

So Maryland left. No big deal. We replace them with Louisville, who would be a big upgrade in football and, lately, a big upgrade in basketball as well. They don't give us the academics, but one bad school out of 14 won't be a big deal. Plus, we know they will pay money to support athletics.

Besides, even if the doomsdayers are right and the ACC crumbles - Clemson has planned for that. Don't think for one minute that our administration (Barker, BOT, etc.) hasn't mapped out our every move and has contingency plans in place.

We have arguably the most important rivalry game in our program's history coming up this weekend. Let's not lose sight of that! Go Tigers!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

some of them just really want it to happen***

Nov 20, 2012, 10:30 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In football, Maryland was South Carolina w/a BCS appearance.

Nov 20, 2012, 10:32 AM

No great loss.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Problem with Louisville is that, under the ACC league

Nov 20, 2012, 10:33 AM

regulations, half of their athletes would become ineligible. Half of their team is Juco. The ACC allows what, 3-4 non qualifiers?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

I was not aware of that.***

Nov 20, 2012, 10:35 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

i believe the acc allowed vpi a few years to get things in

Nov 20, 2012, 10:36 AM [ in reply to Problem with Louisville is that, under the ACC league ]

order.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

is that why they are now lousy?

Nov 20, 2012, 10:55 AM

It has taken a few years to wind them down?

i don't think they were ever all that great tbh. they are

Nov 20, 2012, 11:03 AM

a good program who's had 1 poor year in 20, are now 7-33 against top 10 competition, beamer has a losing record in bowl games and welsh owned the hth when he was at uva.

there are a lot of other 'great' programs who've had more down years in the same time period.

i believe vpi has a ceiling and they've reached it. they haven't changed in 26 years of beamer so it's easier to target them. they'll have a decision to make soon.

i do believe the acc had a hand in beamer finally being censured in 2008. it was long overdue. how much that hindered him or the program i'm not sure.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i don't think it's "dying", but it's not getting better.....

Nov 20, 2012, 10:34 AM

it's stagnant

we added Pitt and Syracuse............not all for that

Louisville i don't have a problem with EXCEPT we "turned down/didn't ask" WVU b/c of their academics............so why ask Louisville??????

I think they should ask PSU and ND as all or nothin' members and see what happens

as mickey said this morning.......the ACC needs somebody with FOOTBALL to come in

UCONN, Pitt, & Syracuse is not that..........Louisville?...ehh it's ok i think we should shoot for better

i will say this........if FSU leaves the ACC is done.......and so are we if we aren't proactive about the situation

Notre Dame and Penn State as full members wouldn't be bad.

Nov 20, 2012, 10:37 AM

Notre Dame obviously, because their football program is big time. I don't really want Penn State due to their NCAA issues, but they certainly have a lot of potential 5-10 years down the line if they recover.

you have to look at long term........

Nov 20, 2012, 10:44 AM

UConn, pitt, syracuse have ZERO long term consistent potential

i know miami is down, but once they get their issues straight they have "potential" to get back to where they once were

VT is having a bad year

but Long term ND, PSU, Clemson, FSU, Miami, and VT would give the ACC a leg to stand on

they wouldn't be the "SEC", BUT.........if you look at the SEC it has about 6 teams that are good-great basically every year........the rest are garbage

the ACC "could" be that with the above mentioned schools LONG TERM, but i have no confidence that will happen under swofford............it's a pipe dream

We should focus long term...

Nov 20, 2012, 10:49 AM

Which means that it makes little sense for some people here to freak out and create these crazy scenarios based upon events that have happened within the last six months.

A long term approach would be a cautious, yet informed, one. The SEC is great at football now, but will they be in 10-20 years? How about 30-40 years?

I agree that Pitt and Syracuse don't bring much to the table from a football perspective now, and perhaps they will never be consistent. But they could be. Who would have predicted ten years ago that some of today's successful football programs would accomplish so much?

interesting change if UL is the one. does the acc go a

Nov 20, 2012, 10:38 AM [ in reply to i don't think it's "dying", but it's not getting better..... ]

courtin to morgantown if they allow a louisville?

Re: i don't think it's "dying", but it's not getting better.....

Nov 20, 2012, 11:02 AM [ in reply to i don't think it's "dying", but it's not getting better..... ]

Boy, I sure don't agree that Syracuse and Pitt are going to be cup cakes or door mats. You better snap on your chin straps. I think for the next couple years we have the upper hand but it will be a fight when we head north.

Lots of assumptions and irrelevant points in that post.

Nov 20, 2012, 10:36 AM

You're assuming that Clemson will have some measure of control over its destiny if the ACC crumbles, when in actuality we will be reliant on an invite from the Big XII or SEC.

You're assuming the ACC will take Louisville instead of Connecticut when every single move to this point has bolstered basketball strength at the expense of football.

The strength of Olympic sports is irrelevant, because they don't pay the bills. They are the red states leeching off the financial success of the blue states of football and basketball.

History - irrelevant. Geography - irrelevant.

I see no evidence anywhere for your statement that the ACC isn't getting left behind financially. The SEC, Pac-12 and Big Ten specifically have much sweeter deals than the ACC.

Basically many of you are willing to go down with the ACC ship based on misplaced loyalty to a conference that has never done #### for Clemson. I do not understand that in the slightest.

Clemson first and always.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not blind loyalty to the ACC.

Just because the ACC isn't perfect doesn't mean that another conference would be any better. Do you honestly think the Big XII, with all the power the University of Texas has, would care about Clemson? How about the SEC, with its good 'ol boy mentality centered around the traditional SEC powers? We would have zero influence in those conferences.

Plus, our road to successful seasons would be MUCH harder there. Our recruiting is already near the top of college football and can't get much better. I don't see why making it harder to win 10+ games a season makes sense. No matter how "powerful" a conference is, losing more than one game a year makes it impossible to play for a national championship and very unlikely to play in a BCS bowl.

I don't see the point in jumping ship when: one, we aren't sure our ship is sinking, and two, we don't really have a reason to feel too confident in the ship we're leaving for. Our administration most definitely has a contingency plan. Why do you think otherwise?

How much influence does Clemson have in the ACC?

Nov 20, 2012, 10:48 AM

I would say very little. It's UNC, Duke and everyone else.

Right, but we would have even less as a new member elsewhere***

Nov 20, 2012, 10:49 AM

So we lose very little on that front, AND our interests

Nov 20, 2012, 11:01 AM

would be more closely aligned with those of the members of the other conferences.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whether we have influence or not, those conferences

Nov 20, 2012, 11:01 AM [ in reply to It's not blind loyalty to the ACC. ]

know where their bread is buttered, and that's football. Our lack of influence in the ACC means more emphasis on basketball, even without influence in the SEC or Big XII, the decisions made would be more likely to benefit us as a football school.

Your cowardice regarding an increase in competition is pathetic.

It's not cowardice, it's being realistic.

Nov 20, 2012, 11:16 AM

We will have several good games in the ACC each year, plus more if we are winning and playing for conference championships and in BCS bowls. I'm all for playing good competition, but we do that in the ACC. If we win, we'll play the best at the end of each season. No point purposely making it harder for yourself than necessary to make it there.

Have you not just made

Nov 20, 2012, 11:30 AM [ in reply to Lots of assumptions and irrelevant points in that post. ]

lots of assumptions and possibly some irrelevant points?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

List them.***

Nov 20, 2012, 11:33 AM

Crickets.***

Nov 20, 2012, 12:00 PM

Re: not left behind? what?

Nov 20, 2012, 10:36 AM

May be you know something I don't but how can you say the ACC is not being left behind financially. Just look at Orange Bowl deal ($55 million) vs. Sugar Bowl (80).

ACC TV contract not close to Big Ten and new SEC contract is going to be a monster.

Chickens will be getting millions and year more than us.

We are at a major crossroads.

Its not the MAryland loss that is concerning

Nov 20, 2012, 10:37 AM

If they pay less than 50mil and FSU or others like VT see that we could have more leave. Like FSU could be leaving for Big12. SEC could poach VT and somebody else.

Then we are left standing alone.

What indications are there that the buyout WON'T be $50 mil?

Nov 20, 2012, 10:39 AM

People keep suggesting that Maryland won't be required to pay it. I'm sure it will go to court and be challenged there, but the logical assumption at this point is that they WILL have to pay the $50 million since that's what is on the books.

Maybe the ACC is dying, but...

Nov 20, 2012, 10:42 AM

If the trend continues as it is, the schools with something to offer will be fine. It's about money and Clemson generates revenue. I'd be much more concerned to be a Vanderbilt fan because if the trend continues they will be replaced.

I'm one that believes that the Big 12 rumors were legit but the Big 12 decided to wait and see what happened. I still think it's a very real possibility that the Big 12 takes a block of ACC schools to go to 14-16 with the SEC taking 2 more to go to 16. These will come from Clemson, FSU, GT, UNC, NCST, UVA, VT, & Miami.

It just seems obvious that there will be 4 16 team conferences. It's a shame, but the writing is on the wall.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

could be. if i was playing, i'd go hard after osu & ou if

Nov 20, 2012, 10:45 AM

i was the sec.

espn could handle the rights issue.

I see the ACC being more of a taker than a giver here

Nov 20, 2012, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Maybe the ACC is dying, but... ]

and that's the way things had played out until Maryland left. Have to say that was very surprising, but I don't think it really changes the landscape all that much.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not dying.

It's morphing into the Big East. Since that was such a stellar conference.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

Mostly fear, but there are some facts you can't deny.

Nov 20, 2012, 10:45 AM

1. The ACC has the lowest paid TV contract of all 5 major conferences. In some cases the difference is drastic. THAT IS A FACT. The SEC is about to get more $$.
Even the Big 12, who was near death a year ago, has a better TV deal.

2. The ACC has the lowest paid BCS bowl (Orange) of the major 5.

3. The SEC and BIG10, in addition to receiving 40 mil each from the Rose and Sugar, will also get 27.5 million from the Orange, the same as the ACC, in the six years they are required to play in "our" bowl.

3. The ACC has the WORST secondary bowl lineup of the major 5.

4. The two one loss ACC teams are ranked behind other one loss teams from the major 5 and in some cases behind two loss teams. It will take an undefeated ACC team to ever sniff the four team playoff.

5. The ACC just lost a Charter member, even with a 50 mil buyout.

6. The SEC will not stay at 14 teams. They have already said it is hard to manage. They will add two more.

7. If the SEC doesn't want to stay at 14, why would the BIG10?

8. If ACC football schools (read FSU) can make more money in another conference AND have a fair opportunity to compete at the highest level, don't you think they would be interested?

To ignore these (mostly) facts is called denial.

14 teams is a challenge for the SEC, but 16 would be...

Nov 20, 2012, 10:54 AM

...even more of a challenge. their problem is maintaining the tradional rivalries like UGA-Auburn and Alabama-Tennessee. going to 16 would be worst.

some of those things have to do with the Big East

Nov 20, 2012, 11:02 AM [ in reply to Mostly fear, but there are some facts you can't deny. ]

and most of them have to do with Miami, FSU, and the middle of the road ACC teams just dropping off in football for some reason. If Clemson, Miami, FSU, GT, NCSt., UNC, BC and UVa are all playing up to their potential, it's a very good football conference. The trouble is that hasn't happened since expansion. It's kind of befuddling, actually, as the ACC should've become a "super-conference" with the teams it added.

We don't really need a contingency plan

Nov 20, 2012, 11:14 AM

The fact that we put in the resouces to play top flight football means that no matter what we will remain a player. If the ACC were to crumble, the SEC, Big 10 and Big 12 would all come knocking on our door. If there was no ACC, it becomes a power grab and we would be attractive to all of them. Teams like Clemson, FSU, Miami, GT, VT and maybe NCSU will all be fine. In fact its probably better for us in expansion if the ACC were to crumble and not just defect to another conference. Without an ACC in the way, it becomes as much about competitive balance nationally than TV revenue from a particular geography.

Its the teams like BC, UVA, UNC that have to have contingency plans. They think they want to play football, but do they really? Duke doesn't care. Maryland would likly get left behind if the ACC were to die.

Bottom line is

Nov 20, 2012, 11:20 AM

Clemson has too much of a history to get passed up on if the ACC collapses there will always be a place for us in college football, lets just worry about the current season.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic