Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who here is excited to see SpaceX put the
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Who here is excited to see SpaceX put the

May 26, 2020, 12:08 PM

first Americans in space in over a decade?

First time using a rocket and capsule since the 70's, and first private company to launch a human into space.

And watching the rocket boosters land is super cool.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

I am!!!!! I think it’s amazing that a private citizen has

May 26, 2020, 12:40 PM

Been able to revitalize the space program and do it at a fraction of the cost of NASA, and his Starlink Company will be able to provide high speed Internet to people anywhere in the world.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I am!!!!! I think it’s amazing that a private citizen has

May 26, 2020, 2:13 PM

Better get out and enjoy seeing stars while you still can, Starlink is going to make it pretty hard to do so in the not so distant future.

May 26, 2020, 2:47 PM

I haven't herd anything about that yet. Can you please explain? Thanks

May 26, 2020, 3:02 PM [ in reply to Re: I am!!!!! I think it’s amazing that a private citizen has ]

SpaceX is installing solar deflector shield to greatly reduce the brightness of the satellites, Plus the satellites are in a equatorial geosynchronous orbit of 500 km above the earth so you will have no trouble seeing stars.

May 26, 2020, 3:31 PM

I don't like that.

May 26, 2020, 3:50 PM

Don’t like what?

NASA funded about half of SpaceX early development...

May 30, 2020, 10:13 PM [ in reply to I am!!!!! I think it’s amazing that a private citizen has ]

through the COTS Commercial Orbit Transportation System contract, gave them a contract for a guaranteed number of flights after demonstrating capability, and gave them the plans and free engineering expertise for taking the NASA Factrac engine design and converting it to the Merlin A engine which they promptly proudly claimed as their own with no credit to NASA. P.S.- Do you realize that today's SpaceX launch was from NASA/KSC's Pad 39A? Sheesh.

If you call that no help from NASA, then...alrighty then. :) PLEASE, check behind me on this. Read 'em and weep.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No matter who you vote for, BUY AMERICAN...it's a vote for American jobs.

why dont they donate that money to a needy cause instead of

May 26, 2020, 12:48 PM

literally burning it up for absolutely no reason.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: why dont they donate that money to a needy cause instead of

May 26, 2020, 1:17 PM

IPTAY donations would help feed many starving children in Africa.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

The Space programs over the years have literally done

May 26, 2020, 1:26 PM

nothing to help mankind. And I doubt any future technologies, etc. will help either.

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/files/Benefits-Stemming-from-Space-Exploration-2013-TAGGED.pdf

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Space programs over the years have literally done

May 26, 2020, 4:04 PM

Why do you hate Africans and want them to starve?

(I’ll wait until you’re done microwaving your two Hungry Man Hot Pockets)

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

May 26, 2020, 4:51 PM [ in reply to The Space programs over the years have literally done ]

Obviously some people have no clue as to the benefit Nasa, Space Travel programs, both positives and failures have discovered to benefit mankind. The development and improved wireless communications, the development, improved efficiency wattage output combined with weight reduction of Solar panels that can be afforded and used globally. The improvements in battery life, output and weight reduction. Improved structural integrity in airplanes through new alloys and carbon fibers also reducing weight to improve fuel consumption rates and improvements in turbine engines vs propped planes.

That's just a quick few items that obviously effects and affords mankind benefits not to mention environmental waste improvements. People that think space exploration doesn't feed back into your daily lives need to get off FB or Video games and do some research. It's more that just rockets burning fuel.

SpaceX and one of Elon's sister companies are getting ready to release the most energy efficient battery by far that will change the car business and obviously Tesla. Says it will reverse the price points of gas vs battery operated cars. These batteries were invented for use in SpaceX projects but will trickle into every day lives replacing Lithium Ions that are currently used everywhere.

May 27, 2020, 10:08 AM

I think the best benefit from the space program so far is

Velcro

May 30, 2020, 11:52 PM

Velcro was invented by a Swiss engineer after studying how burs were stuck to his dog’s legs.

plus Tang

May 31, 2020, 7:14 AM [ in reply to Re: The Space programs over the years have literally done ]

you can't forget Tang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWghCdIqedA

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If we don't support NASA and other space programs then how

May 27, 2020, 6:59 AM [ in reply to The Space programs over the years have literally done ]

else are we going to colonize Mars and the Belt where we will find the Protomolecule that will result in a thousand gates to other galaxies?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you donate all of your disposable income to charity?

May 26, 2020, 1:41 PM [ in reply to why dont they donate that money to a needy cause instead of ]

The people who are involved in space exploration don’t view it as a waste and none of them question what you do with your money so don’t question what they do with their’s.

“We choose to go to the moon and do the other things ...

May 26, 2020, 2:55 PM [ in reply to why dont they donate that money to a needy cause instead of ]

... not because they are easy, but because hey are hard.” — JFK

Re: “We choose to go to the moon and do the other things ...

May 26, 2020, 4:08 PM

That’s what she said.

Space exploration has a 4 to 1 return on investment.***

May 27, 2020, 12:37 PM [ in reply to why dont they donate that money to a needy cause instead of ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Who here is excited to see SpaceX put the

May 26, 2020, 12:48 PM

Tigersense, you will appreciate this.

I have a friend who works at NASA. He says, while NASA is working closely with SpaceX (and pumping in a bunch of money), NASA is betting on Boeing's SLS to be the vehicle of choice when the dust settles. I asked him how can that be since the SLS 6 months ago just failed in their last test and SpaceX has been moving forward. He said NASA got involved in the last SLS test and screwed them up. He said the SLS launch date had to be pushed back two days due to weather and guess what? Someone at NASA and Boeing forgot (or it was not on their checklist) to reset the computers clock on the rocket. When the first stage broke free and the second stage took over it was looking to adjust course to get to where the rocket was suppose to be (two day old data and it burned all of its fuel trying to make the adjustment). You got to be kidding me!!! Millions spent and someone forgot to reset the computers clock. Incredible.

You are referring to the Boeing starliner capsule

May 26, 2020, 1:06 PM

you're correct in the fact that the computer timing was messed up and it was unable to reach the international space station. However it did not go up on the SLS, just a atlas rocket.
The SLS is the delivery system to put men on the moon. It has yet to fly though being in development for almost a decade. It also cost a lot more money that the Elon musk planned starship.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

There were a couple of other issues as well so Boeing

May 26, 2020, 3:51 PM

is paying for another orbital test flight later this year. NASA wants to have 2 independent companies providing services to space. Sierra Nevada Corp will send supplies to the space station on their Dream Chaser ship. It also rides on an Atlas V, but will ride on ULAs Vulcan rocket once it starts flying. Starliner will fly on Vulcan too. Vulcan is supposed to Fly next year.

May 26, 2020, 12:56 PM

I am excited, but the new space suits scream "We're here from Zortan, take us to your leader!"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Yeah, I don't care for the look of them either.

May 26, 2020, 1:09 PM

But they are a lot more functional and cost effective than the prior life system suits the shuttle used.
They are much more lightweight and can be put completely on in 7 minutes.

Re: Yeah, I don't care for the look of them either.

May 26, 2020, 1:34 PM

Why a man in space ? What does that accomplish ? I agree with the above posters. This large sum of money it costs could certainly be used in a better way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 26, 2020, 2:11 PM

All that money could be used to fight Global killer Corona. Or better yet, could be used to help fat people on food stamps fight food deprivation

May 26, 2020, 3:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Yeah, I don't care for the look of them either. ]

For the same reasons explorers set sail in search of new trade routes or just simply to see what the #### is out there. Humans are explorers and we need to continue the push to move up out. Decades/centuries from now we may need to relocate mankind to survive as a species. Can’t do any of that sitting on our azzes just looking up.

What do you think about these?

May 26, 2020, 2:57 PM [ in reply to Yeah, I don't care for the look of them either. ]

https://www.space.com/25398-nasa-mercury-7-astronauts-first-americans-in-space.html

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

May 26, 2020, 2:11 PM

I'm extremely excited and nervous. This is a very important event for our country.

For those of you who don't understand the value, I got news for you: The USA better remain the leader in space indefinitely. Without SpaceX, we would be up a creek without a paddle. China is charging guns ablazing into space. Don't be fooled by recent failures, they will figure it out soon.

SpaceX (and maybe Blue Origin too) represent our best hope to stay 3-4 steps ahead. Boeing is broken. They are an absolute disgrace (as is Sen. Richard Shelby). Too much to go into now.

ULA has launched 139 rockets in a row with zero failures

May 26, 2020, 3:56 PM

No other company can say that. The Centaur 2nd stage is second to none. Nobody is as accurate for launches into geosynchronous orbits. There is a reason NASA and the DOD continue to use ULA for it's most important missions.

Re: ULA has launched 139 rockets in a row with zero failures

May 27, 2020, 12:58 AM

ULA has the power and political pull of long term incumbency on its side. Their "cost plus" ripoff of a pay scheme is scandalous and Sen. Shelby is their biggest enabler.

ULA lobbied so hard to be chosen exclusively but I'm so thankful NASA didn't crumble under the pressure. Because of SpaceX, we will have a launch this week. Without SpaceX, ULA probably wouldn't be ready until who knows when and we'd still be 100% dependent on Russia.

ULA is an example of how monopoly power corrupts. Now that their stranglehold is broken and they are surpassed, we are better off for it. Hopefully Blue Origin will get their train out of the station eventually.

You should Google SLS and learn what a disgraceful fiasco it is. The bloom is long gone from Boeing. Other than sucking who knows how much more money from the SLS boondoggle, Boeing's space program is in neutral at best but actually may be in decline.

Thank God for legit competition!

I hope this will be effective...

May 26, 2020, 4:39 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/06/science/spacex-starlink-astronomy.html

May 30, 2020, 11:02 PM

Actually, NASA always used private contractors to build the rockets and its components. This is the first private design (mostly, with some NASA tweaks) to fly humans.

Really wish the booster landing footage hadn't been interrupted.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic