Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I love the rationale of tnet...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 51

I love the rationale of tnet...

Mar 9, 2015, 10:06 AM

The same people who are now vehemently slamming posters for questioning our basketball program, and the way we have finished...

are the same ones who say... "If you thought we had a chance to be a tournament team when we were sitting 6-4 in the ACC and on the bubble, you are nuts. You're delusional to think we ever had a chance."

How can you take both of those positions?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

the safe place to be if you're a brownell supporter thru &

Mar 9, 2015, 10:09 AM

thru is that clemson finished better than they were expected.

if you allow yourself to see clemson had even a realistic shot at the dance[pundits were wrong and they often are] then you might have to say this team choked coming down the stretch & therefore coach brad did a poor job bringing them home.

does that help? was that helpful?

you have to manage the middle or the 8-10 spot so to speak.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

oh... i get it... I just don't see how someone can

Mar 9, 2015, 10:13 AM

look at the fact that we were 6-4 in the ACC

on a 4 game winning streak

holding wins over LSU, Ark, @ Pitt, @ NCSU

remaining winnable games vs. ND, GT, VT, NCSU... and @ Miami and GT

and look at a 2-6 finish and consider that ANYTHING but disappointing

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

dood, NO ONE expected clemson to win 8 ACC games this

Mar 9, 2015, 10:17 AM

year! only a moran cares HOW brownlee got them!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: dood, NO ONE expected clemson to win 8 ACC games this

Mar 9, 2015, 6:21 PM

No one expected the ACC to be so wretched at basketball this season either.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

dear, dear yorkie....

Mar 9, 2015, 10:51 AM [ in reply to the safe place to be if you're a brownell supporter thru & ]

the numbskulls who thought this team was ever NCAA worthy simply didn't appreciate the holes that were there. Holes of talent to some degree, yes, but mostly just bad play.

But were they ever as bad as 13th or 14th in the ACC - not really. They could beat Wake and BC systematically, yes on talent alone. Then they were good enough to split with a fair number of other teams. For this team to fall to 13 or 14th just because they lost to KJ was simply in the little minds of the ACC media who fawn over North Carolina schools and New Jersey-like schools. Brad kept 'em about where they could get to - 8th or 9th.

To highlight how inconsistent this team was, one only needs to look at defense. Brownell's teams have never been bad defensively, yet there were several games this year where Clemson got steamrolled by teams that aren't great offensive teams: UVA, Ga Tech, and USuCk come to mind. In both cases Clemson simply got handed it to them by the dozen - we couldn't stop them from scoring. That's the hallmark not of a bad coach, but of a bad "team", a team that doesn't play well together nor pay attention to and invest in the details. It also probably highlights that last year's team wasn't as good defensively as it appeared - it's probably just that KJ and Nnoko were good at cleaning up the mess down in the paint that some other player let get by them.

Check out the c/p that TigrJim has posted about UVA's success - it talks about how the Hoos aren't very good offensively and win on defense. In particular it notes how their defense is predicated on stopping scoring in the paint. In other words,

1) the vast, vast majority of college teams cannot beat you consistently by shooting the jump shot, and

2) consistently good college teams will get to the paint and to the line, consistently.

Last year's Clemson team was very good at getting to the paint and to the line - this year, not so much. In fact if I remember correctly we went like 3 games and shot only 4 Free Throws.

That ain't coaching, that's execution.

that's grade A eloquent horsesh!t

Mar 9, 2015, 11:00 AM

Are you praising him, defending him, or asking for answers in confusion?

You can't praise him for getting us to the 6-4, good wins, in NCAAT hunt... then turn around after a 2-6 finish, where we had very winnable games, and say "well, it is where we should be".

which is it?

Was the 6-4 ACC start, with wins over Ark, LSU, @ Pitt and @ NCSU just blind luck?

Hopefully it was blind luck for

Mar 9, 2015, 12:32 PM

Gardner-Webb and Winthrop...lol

of the teams you've mentioned, exactly who excites you?

Mar 9, 2015, 6:11 PM

Pitt - not a tournament team.
FSU - not a tournament team.
NC State - not a tournament team.
LSU - decent team in a bad conference - really bad.
Arkansas - fluke win at home against a team that had us down 6 with a minute to go. No more of those victories around this year.

If this is the list of teams that you think made us NCAA tournament worthy

then they must have upped the Tournament to 128 teams.

Notably there's no Dukes, UVA's, UNC's, or Notre Dame's on your "big win" list. Heck, there ain't even a Miami or a Louisville.

Face it - this was never a NCAA team as there's basically nothing but wannabes on your list.

Course now, you ought to know wannabes pretty darn good....

Re: I love the rationale of tnet...

Mar 9, 2015, 10:10 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: I love the rationale of tnet...***

Mar 9, 2015, 10:11 AM

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

Mar 9, 2015, 10:36 AM

But they predicted us to finish 13th or so. That's what I'm sick of hearing!

Dr. Spock has passed. There is no logic to it.***

Mar 9, 2015, 10:43 AM

I also love the folks who are vehemently against Brownell...

Mar 9, 2015, 11:24 AM

who act like anyone who defends the basketball program is a personal supporter of Brownell. Some of these same folks were complaining about the team when we were 6-4 in the ACC and still had a chance at the NCAAs. And, of course, they never would've admitted we had a chance at the NCAAs until that chance was gone and they could use that fact to criticize Brownell.

But it might be that some of us are pleasantly surprised when the bball team does well because we haven't had much success historically. This year, especially, because KJ McDaniel left, was one of those years when expectations should've been low. Finishing the season the way we finished was disappointing, and obviously losing to some subpar teams was bad, but I still think the team was a little better than I thought they would be this year.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am a fan of BB and I am pulling for him... but I don't get

Mar 9, 2015, 11:31 AM

the double standard

He loses to Winthrop and GW -- then gets us back into tourney discussion going 6-4 in the ACC with some big wins -- We have winnable games left and a shot to stay in the discussion

People actually defend this by saying we were not as good as we seemed at the mid point of the season... Daheyull? That's almost seems like more of an indictment against him

it's stoopidly pathetic

Re: I am a fan of BB and I am pulling for him... but I don't get

Mar 9, 2015, 11:54 AM

The only delusion here on tnet is the crowd who can't take criticism.

Of course I wanted to go to the big dance...and I'm not really saying you're a idiot for believing we had a chance. I'm simply saying what made you really think we were? This isn't a good basketball team and would get slaughtered in the tourny.

My problem here on tnet is the attack crowd. God forbid someone call a spade a spade....The fact that I can't question our direction without getting attacked is ridiculous.

I support the football and baseball programs 110%...I know that baseball takes some heat, but JL is a good coach and there is actual proof to back that up....But BB hasn't done anything. The program looks dormant right now. If you don't think we're moving backwards I'm not sure what you're looking at.

where have I defended Brownell? Can you link that?

Mar 9, 2015, 11:57 AM

I think he's a good coach, and I like him.. but he hasn't gotten it done, period.

Re: where have I defended Brownell? Can you link that?

Mar 9, 2015, 12:02 PM

You along with tons of others have.

Glad to see you admit he hasn't gotten it done. most on here would never do that.

Mar 9, 2015, 12:04 PM

So no link?

null

Mar 9, 2015, 12:05 PM

No gif?

Wow....surprised.

Get a life 117....step away from the computer.

Hey man, a troll has got to troll***

Mar 9, 2015, 6:18 PM

It's Monday isn't it.... :-(

Mar 9, 2015, 12:06 PM [ in reply to Re: where have I defended Brownell? Can you link that? ]

Yeah, raining outside too.
it's Monday.

Hope this week gets better with some W's!!!
Go Tigers!

I have prior to this year... but surely you aren't stupid

Mar 9, 2015, 12:06 PM [ in reply to Re: where have I defended Brownell? Can you link that? ]

enough to reference that...

link to me defending him after this year?

Re: I have prior to this year... but surely you aren't stupid

Mar 9, 2015, 12:08 PM

You basically are defending him with this thread.

Plus you consistently say you like the guy.....so........

I do find it funny when you call someone stupid tho, mr.big12

can you not read.. this thread was about the double standard

Mar 9, 2015, 12:11 PM

of people defending BB while at the same time calling our 6-4 ACC start with wins over Ark, LSU, Pitt, and NCSU "a mirage"...

you can't do both

my point is that we were in position to make a run, and fell apart... and that has to fall somewhere.

but thanks for removing the doubt about your idiocy

Re: can you not read.. this thread was about the double standard

Mar 9, 2015, 12:13 PM

Says the moron who really truly believed we were in positron to make a run....

Listen to yourself. Smh.

York..... we were never a tourny team. Not for one second.

We're done here....smh

Re: can you not read.. this thread was about the double standard

Mar 9, 2015, 12:16 PM

..... Except for that whole little fact that if we would have finished strong we would have been in a position to make the tournament per people that do that kinda thing for a living.

Also "Says the moron who really truly believed we were in positron to make a run" you should refrain from accusing others of "attacking".

HTH have a nice day.

York is still waiting on his link.

null

The fact is, we were in position to make a run at the

Mar 9, 2015, 1:40 PM [ in reply to Re: can you not read.. this thread was about the double standard ]

tournament. Nobody can argue that. But they didn't get it done. What don't you understand here?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: I have prior to this year... but surely you aren't stupid

Mar 9, 2015, 12:11 PM [ in reply to Re: I have prior to this year... but surely you aren't stupid ]

If you joined the site in 2014 how do you remember the Big 12 stuff?

null

Mar 9, 2015, 12:00 PM [ in reply to Re: I am a fan of BB and I am pulling for him... but I don't get ]

"JL is a good coach and there is actual proof to back that up....But BB hasn't done anything. The program looks dormant right now."

Please stick with facts. This is the problem you arent calling a "spade a spade" HTH

null

Mar 9, 2015, 12:03 PM

Grown ups are talking 117.... run along now and find your next gif

Mar 9, 2015, 12:09 PM

For someone who just said they call a spade a spade they seem to really struggle with that. Typical behavior of a child.

Maybe you can improve that quality on your next screen name.

null

.... says the dude who called out fans yesterday,

Mar 9, 2015, 12:14 PM [ in reply to Re: I am a fan of BB and I am pulling for him... but I don't get ]

without provocation.

I'm sure you are a good guy, but I would refrain from attacking others in a hostile OP, especially if you are going to turn around and complain when you get criticized.

PS: I still haven't given you a TD.

Message was edited by: Francis Marion®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

I think you should focus on being a...

Mar 9, 2015, 11:42 AM

football fan for now. Worrying about multiple periphery sports is obviously more than you can handle at this point.

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Mar 9, 2015, 6:19 PM

If you want an honest answer its because even at 6-4 our RPI was nowhere near good enough for the tournament. And, though we beat NC State and Syracuse decisively, we were absolutely destroyed in some of our losses and had lost to 4 very bad basketball teams (SCar, Winthrop, GWebb, and Rutgers). While "anything can happen," this is not the resume of a team that was going to have sustained success. RPI wise, our best wins were against SEC teams - which should tell you all you need to know about our season. Wish I had been wrong.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

I'm not sure he was really looking for an honest answer***

Mar 9, 2015, 6:46 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 9, 2015, 8:04 PM

We were not an NCAA team this year obviously. Relying too much on youth to lead us. We played really poor at the beginning, really well for a stretch in the middle, and really poor down the stretch. Again -it is a testament to this team that we were ever mentioned for the tourney; part of it was good play, part of it was schedule.

Our weaknesses were exposed by better teams and our freshman hit a wall.

Next year will be the first time that BB has had his leading scorer return. In fact, his 2nd leading scorer also returns (Granrham). We will be able to tell a lot by what happens next year. I would expect to be in the hunt for a bid next year and be a top 5 seed in 2 years. Just a hunch.

Replies: 36
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic