Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Early on I was thinking, "Here is one team that shouldn't...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,544

Early on I was thinking, "Here is one team that shouldn't...

Dec 30, 2020, 9:21 PM

have been mentioned in the same sentence with the word playoff"

Now I'm thinking that it's actually two teams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Early on I was thinking, "Here is one team that shouldn't...

Dec 30, 2020, 9:24 PM

This is why I’m not a fan of expanding the playoffs.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree that I'm happy with the 4 team playoff

Dec 30, 2020, 9:35 PM

But it looks like we're charging hard toward 8 finalists.

If it has to expand, I would favor a six team format wherein #1 & 2 get a first round bye with #'s 3 through 6 essentially playing in against each other - possibly even on the #3 and #4 home field.

Just my thoughts. I know it's not going to happen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree that I'm happy with the 4 team playoff

Dec 30, 2020, 9:43 PM

Could you imagine the whining from Ohio if we got a bye and they had to play an extra game this year?

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Just another reason I would like that format

Dec 30, 2020, 9:45 PM

LOL!!

Re: I agree that I'm happy with the 4 team playoff

Dec 31, 2020, 9:54 AM [ in reply to I agree that I'm happy with the 4 team playoff ]

I agree with the 6 team format. You get to 8 and those last 2 maybe teams with 2 losses.

Another point. I do not believe a conference championship entitles you to the playoff. I used to think so, but have changed my mind as it is essentially 1 game that determines the champion as opposed to ending the season without said game and having the total body of work from the season. Too easy to have a 3 loss team from another division catch you on an off day in the championship game.

For example, what if Clemson was undefeated and got upset by a 2 loss mediocre team from the Coastal. Do you really think the team from the Coastal should play for the NC? Heck no. It would lead to more blowouts. Anyone think that Syracuse or Pitt was better than the Tigers back in the day?

For that matter you can even have a worse team from the same division upset a great team and that team does not play for the conference championship. See Auburn and Bama a few years back. Bama beats that team 8 out of 10 times. So there has to be some subjectivity.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,544
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic