Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Biden to sign EO banning high capacity clips
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

Biden to sign EO banning high capacity clips

Apr 9, 2021, 8:27 AM

sucker lol

And before you write a 300 word essay about the difference between clips and magazines, I have already heard it 100x. I just like to say clips cause it drives you guys bannanas.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Link?

Apr 9, 2021, 8:32 AM

I've only seen his proposed bills which will need 60 votes in the Senate. Haven't heard anything through EO.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Biden to sign EO banning high capacity clips

Apr 9, 2021, 8:43 AM

I have drums.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 9, 2021, 9:00 AM

You go[/], Al Capone!

Apr 9, 2021, 9:28 AM [ in reply to Re: Biden to sign EO banning high capacity clips ]
Bongo Drums.jpg(119.7 K)

Grooovy !!

Make music - not war !!

I was under the impression that EOs are basically laws

Apr 9, 2021, 8:59 AM

that the President creates by dictating how a law will be interpreted/enforced. Is that not right? If it is correct, what justification can a president use to outlaw types of guns, or components of guns?

null

Re: I was under the impression that EOs are basically laws

Apr 9, 2021, 9:32 AM

Swarley

I haven't looked specifically at Biden's EO, but I think it would be something like this. There are already laws that restrict some guns and such. The EO would interpret that law in such a way as to allow for the restriction of large capacity mags, etc.

Apr 9, 2021, 9:20 AM

I'm not a fan of EO's for anything. I'm a long time gun owner who shoots for fun, hunts and has weapons in the home and vehicle in the unlikely event that someone meant harm to me or my family. It is just another form of insurance.

I would not be opposed to limiting magazines to 10-15 rounds if I thought that would do much of anything. There are tons of large capacity magazines already in folk's hands. There is no effective way to round them up.

This is much ado about nothing-- feel good "non-legislation."

It is in fact a slippery slope when discussing what is an assault weapon. Even a single barrel 12 gauge using a 3 1/2" shell in 00 buckshot sends 18 large pellets on its way in a blink of an eye. I wouldn't want to be anywhere around that. A pump shotgun most commonly used to hunt with could send 90 pellets of 00 buckshot in a couple of seconds all capable of killing.

Is buckshot or simple shotguns to be considered as assault weapons or weapons of war. I don't know if the military still uses shotguns in combat, but in close quarters, they are extremely effective. I know some Recon units in Vietnam used them.I'm surprised the gangbangers don't use them instead of shooting a pistol sideways which is really bad form.

We focus over and over on the weapon rather than our societal ills and their root causes.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The solution to mass shootings is to ban semiautomatic

Apr 9, 2021, 9:29 AM

firearms. I don't think that can be done with EOs and it won't pass in Congress right now.

If Democrats are going to introduce doomed gun control legislation, I think they need to aim a bit higher (pun intended). Why introduce a compromise bill for an issue that nobody will compromise on? As long as people make slippery slope arguments, there's no point in proposing incremental legislation.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL at ban semi-automatic firearms.

Apr 9, 2021, 10:56 AM

There are hundreds of millions in those in circulation right now. I have 5 in my house alone.

If we're going to do that, might as well take them from all law enforcement as well.

Can't wait to see what law enforcement looks like with pump action shotguns, bolt action rifles, and muzzle loaders.

Law enforcement has lots tools that civilians don't have.

Apr 9, 2021, 1:00 PM

Just because there are a lot of semi-automatic guns doesn't mean it can't be done. They did it in Australia in the '90s and it was very effective. People in this thread keep talking about how effective the ban on automatic weapons is, so I don't see why this is somehow a preposterous suggestion.

I don't think the Australian ban/buyback was as effective

Apr 9, 2021, 1:36 PM

as many want to believe.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2015/10/australia-gun-control-obama-america/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 9, 2021, 9:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Biden to sign EO banning high capacity clips ]

Ron said,

I would not be opposed to limiting magazines to 10-15 rounds if I thought that would do much of anything. There are tons of large capacity magazines already in folk's hands. There is no effective way to round them up.

I just don't get this argument. There are x number of guns/ammo/etc. out there and you can't get them back. If we don't ban them, won't there be even more next year - and the next. I mean, we might as well not pass any laws because someone will break them. True, but less and less people will break them over time.

I would like to see the ban on fully automatic guns extended to include anything that will allow a semi-automatic to act like a fully automatic - modification kits, high capacity magazines, bump stocks, etc.

I don't see how this would significantly impact any responsible gun owners other than those with Rambo fantasies.

Because first they ban bump stocks and next thing you know

Apr 9, 2021, 9:51 AM

all firearms are 100% illegal and we have no way to carry out an insurrection against the American government.

That's exactly what happens. You start banning knit picky,

Apr 9, 2021, 10:18 AM

nonsensical stuff that has literally zero impact on gun crime, and a little later down the road "common sense" gun control becomes no guns. Because it has to, since the "gun control" you've tried up until that point has had no impact. It's a pretty transparent tactic.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am totally against banning knit picky, nonsensical stuff

Apr 9, 2021, 10:39 AM

that has literally zero impact on gun crime.

Re: I am totally against banning knit picky, nonsensical stuff

Apr 9, 2021, 10:42 AM

Re: I am totally against banning knit picky, nonsensical stuff

Apr 9, 2021, 10:43 AM

https://www.tigernet.com/clemson/forum/message/the-solution-to-mass-shootings-is-to-ban-semiautomatic-28832762

Which, as you know, encompasses the vast majority

Apr 9, 2021, 10:56 AM

of guns sold in modern times....I'd say that's a pretty big infringement on the second amendment.

There's the circular logic in the Heller decision.

Apr 9, 2021, 12:52 PM

Scalia said we're allowed to have guns that are in common use. Of course the guns that are in common use are the guns we're allowed to have, so we're allowed to have the guns that we're allowed to have. He also did some comical mental gymnastics involving 18th century syntax.

Ultimately nobody can make a reasonable case defending semi-automatic firearms, so the last refuge is 2A. And 2A has been grossly misinterpreted.

Seems like you're against banning nit picky stuff and you're also against measures that would actually have an effect, which brings me back to the point that only one side's willing to compromise.

And before I'm characterized as a radical, I want to point out that my proposal allows people to continue to keep and bear arms. It is the middle ground.

There are plenty of reasonable arguments for semi automatic

Apr 9, 2021, 1:30 PM

firearms, you probably just don't want to believe they're reasonable. Last years widespread rioting where cops stood down was pretty much a picture perfect example of why private citizens need semi automatic firearms to defend themselves. Good luck with your 5 shot revolver in the middle of an angry mob. There's plenty of instances, with video, of people taking 5, 6, 7 shots center mass and still attacking.

If you don't think you need a semi-automatic firearm to defend yourself/your family, that's OK, but millions of Americans disagree...Particularly in light of the fact that the party who wants to take away that ability simultaneously wants to defund police and is actively letting violent criminals free.

You are proposing banning 1800's era technology, and I find that pretty radical. It's pretty disingenuous to cast the gun rights crowd as the ones unwilling to compromise, how do you compromise with someone who either A) wants to ban components that have no operation effect on the firearm or B) wants to ban a type of firearm that constitutes ~ 80% of the market?

That rationale has worked awesome for the war on drugs

Apr 9, 2021, 10:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Biden to sign EO banning high capacity clips ]

You cannot legally buy a modification kit to turn a semi automatic into an automatic. Half of this stuff you guys bring up is illegal already.

Has the ban on modification kits prevented people from

Apr 9, 2021, 10:43 AM

having them? It's kinda weird to mention a ban that's really effective when you're talking about how bans don't work.

Just because the war on drugs is a failure doesn't mean laws don't work.

Not people who wanted them

Apr 9, 2021, 10:50 AM

There isn't some kit I can go buy from www.superdangerousguns.com that will turn my Springfield into a full auto killing machine. But it is illegal to modify your semi auto into a full auto.

Re: Has the ban on modification kits prevented people from

Apr 9, 2021, 12:16 PM [ in reply to Has the ban on modification kits prevented people from ]

Another solution would be not to give them 24-7, wall-to-wall news coverage. Mass Shootings are responsible for a micro fraction of the gun deaths, yet the mere spectacle gets everyone's panties in a bunch. Lighting has a better shot at snuffing you out. People that drive around without a seat belt, and whine about guns can just walk away.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, just like 'gun crimes ' are already illegal***

Apr 9, 2021, 11:23 AM [ in reply to That rationale has worked awesome for the war on drugs ]

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Fully automatic are currently banned, except

Apr 9, 2021, 11:09 AM [ in reply to Re: Biden to sign EO banning high capacity clips ]

For the few in existence prior to the ban. They are also crazy expensive and highly regulated.

Trump banned bump stocks and it stood for about 3 years. The 6th Circuit Court Appeals overturned the banned last month.

Other than bump stocks, modifying anything from semi to full auto is a felony and not to be played with. However, someone willing to commit mass murder will not be deterred by such laws.

The problem is what starts out as sensible changes aren't far enough for the left. Then it goes too far and the right objects. You want sensible change? Start here:

1 - Ban bump stocks.
2 - Open the NICS database to everyone. No firearm exchanges hands without the new owner being reviewed by NICS. This way all public and private sales can be checked.
3 - Make penalties for breaking firearm laws more severe.
4 - Make government agencies share information to NICS. Some of the mass shootings previously could have been prevented if agencies shared information.

Re: Fully automatic are currently banned, except

Apr 9, 2021, 4:04 PM

The estimate of full auto weapons in civilian hands is between 88k and 100k, manufactured or converted prior to 1976. You must get ATF approval ... or as no brain Biden says, "AFT" ... Duh! ... and pay a one time $200 for stamps. I formed a Revocable Trust and purchased an M1/M2 carbine, plus a suppressor for my AR's. It takes 6-12 months to get ATF OK! The M2 is a hoot to shoot, but the suppressor was the worst $1000 I ever spent, as the Db level maybe is reduced by just 10% ... maybe.

You already have exactly what you asked for.

Apr 9, 2021, 11:16 AM [ in reply to Re: Biden to sign EO banning high capacity clips ]

Did you not know that?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How's this gonna effect my bb gun?

Apr 9, 2021, 9:56 AM

##### can get like 100 pellets in them

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 9, 2021, 10:22 AM

Yeah, we all know it is only shots 11-15 that do the real killing.

This is stupid. The only thing it does is make many law-abiding americans law breakers. No change in criminal or criminal wannabe behavior.

Banning all semi-automatics? That's the most stupid idea ever. I guess my revolver would be okay, but again the change in behavior due to the law is only in law-abiding people. Law-abiding people do not kill others with semi-automatic weapons.

Stupid.

What killings would the clip/magazine law or EO have prevented/reduced? None.

Conclusion: the law or EO will change nothing in the future.

Apr 9, 2021, 10:54 AM

Are you saying that my chances of escaping a mass shooting are the same if the shooter has to reload every 5 to 10 shots rather than 15 to 30?

You mean dropping a magazine after 15 rounds instead of 30?

Apr 9, 2021, 11:12 AM

No, not really.

Apr 9, 2021, 11:36 AM [ in reply to Re: Biden to sign EO banning high capacity clips ]

No. That is an obvious conclusion. However, are you in favor of banning every semi automatic weapon? Most shotguns used for hunting are probably semiautomatics. Are they to be banned? I would guess that most handguns are semiautomatic, do you support banning them? If a ban were to be enacted on all semiautomatic weapons, would the criminals turn their weapons in or not seek them on the black market?

The genie is out of the bottle. Again there are hundreds of millions of guns in America along with high capacity magazines. All have a lifespan that will exceed the owner's.

Heroin, crystal meth and cocaine are all illegal. Yet literally tons of these drugs enter our country regularly despite laws against selling or consuming these products. If all guns or ammo were banned tomorrow would the people who aim to commit crimes stop procuring guns or using them when there are literally hundreds of millions of guns already in the country?

Admittedly increasing the waiting period to procure a gun and limiting high capacity magazines might stall or stop some of the impulsive nut jobs who commit mass shootings. Every mass shooting while tragic pales in comparison to the murders committed with non-"assault weapons." What mechanism do you propose to take guns out of the hands of those who on a daily basis use guns to murder people which is still a crime?

The assault weapons ban that expired under W was not a slam dunk on its effectiveness in preventing mass shootings. The data is very mixed at best.

The debate should be held on how to best prevent and stop a nut job from a mass shooting. The answer is not a simple one.

Apr 9, 2021, 12:06 PM

I am not in favor of banning every semi-automatic weapon. So why is there opposition to making high capacity clips illegal?

Apr 9, 2021, 12:20 PM

Apr 9, 2021, 12:23 PM

"Tyranny". LOL

Apr 9, 2021, 12:53 PM