Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How you win matters
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

How you win matters

Sep 17, 2018, 12:42 PM

Are we one of the best 4 teams? YES! Do we "look" like it? No, and that's why we got jumped. Had we hung the same # of points we've scored so far this year in a way that was dominant on offense, we don't get jumped.

For those who say "we won't get jumped again if we keep winning" we don't know that. As long as we don't pass the eye test, we can get jumped by those who do every week.

For those who say "the committee won't look at how we played" Ga-Southern come November, you are also incorrect. The eye test has been a part of their decision making every year so far. They use the metric "quality wins." That doesn't only include the level of opponent, but the level of our play.

If there are 5 undefeated teams (or 5 teams tied for the best record) there's no reason to believe that style points and eye tests wouldn't have us on the outside looking in. To make sure we're in the top 4, I believe the coaches should focus on a method of play that not only produces wins (which we're doing) but also does so convincingly (which we are not.)

Win.... but win in a way that proves your dominance in the sport.

((as a former college tennis player, 6-0, 6-0 was the goal Every. Single. Match.))

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

if clemson wins all of its games by 1 point

Sep 17, 2018, 12:45 PM

they will be national champions .

it is that simple.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

truth***

Sep 17, 2018, 12:49 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: if clemson wins all of its games by 1 point

Sep 17, 2018, 1:03 PM [ in reply to if clemson wins all of its games by 1 point ]

Agreed. I suppose some could argue that Clemson didn’t cover in this game, had a scoreless 1st and 3pt 3rd quarter, and at one point was a 17pt game in the 4th. Sure, doesn’t look sexy, but you’re dead right here. Win and you’re in. Playing like this and winning will never push Clemson past 5-6th and come Conference champ game weekend, a win for any undefeated team is a playoff lock. It really doesn’t matter in the end.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can't be national Champs if you're not in the top 4.

Sep 17, 2018, 2:03 PM [ in reply to if clemson wins all of its games by 1 point ]

Now.. i think we WILL be in the top 4... but winning well help ensure that.

So what happens if they win 12 games by 1 point

Sep 17, 2018, 2:08 PM [ in reply to if clemson wins all of its games by 1 point ]

and lose the other one by 1 point?

I bet you didn't meet your goals too often then.***

Sep 17, 2018, 12:47 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

... but NO ONE can say I didn't give it my all every time***

Sep 17, 2018, 2:05 PM

Re: ... but NO ONE can say I didn't give it my all every time***

Sep 17, 2018, 3:30 PM

So are you saying the team isn't giving it their all every time ? The players and coaches aren't trying to win ever time they step onto the field?

I’m not sure it’s possible to disagree with you more.

Sep 17, 2018, 12:48 PM

If we win out we are in, bank on it. If we lose one I still think we are in but we can’t ##### if we aren’t. Yes we need to look better. But when I see Xavier Thomas and Pinckney et al get snaps that may be needed later in the year I’m fine with it. It only tells part of the tale I get it, but looking at numbers of snaps the subs got notably less playing time during tam than they did the other two games. So while we didn’t score 70, we did something better, we got some young folks good pt and not just junk time at the end of the game. Dabo does Dabo and we will be fine if we win out. Again I think we are in with onemloss if it’s in the first 8 or so games. But that’s leaving it in other hands which we shouldn’t do. Now I will give you this. As the year goes on we will need to look better than we do now. I won’t argue that.

Yet, your last sentence agreed with my whole post...***

Sep 17, 2018, 2:10 PM

I don’t think anyone cares how we win against furm or gasou

Sep 17, 2018, 10:56 PM

But if we win every game by one we are in. It’s when we have one loss that it might matter as seen by the last two years with Ohio state getting in over penn state year before and left out last year. And no one cares about right now. Clemson will build its resume by hopefully destroying South Carolina again and looking good in acc champ again. Yes at that point how we win might matter IF we have one loss

Re: I’m not sure it’s possible to disagree with you more.

Sep 17, 2018, 4:38 PM [ in reply to I’m not sure it’s possible to disagree with you more. ]

I don't really get how you think we lose 1, we are still in.

Take a look at last year...
http://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings/_/week/8/year/2017/seasontype/2

Week 8, after we lost to Syracuse (by only 3 mind you), the polls dropped us from #2 to #7. We didn't jump back into the top 4 (or actually go up any) until a few games later, after beating a top 20 NC State, and didn't move back to #2 until beating what we lucked out on getting ranked #25 South Carolina (they didn't end up top 25 until that last week). A loss this year, we'd have to hope we have a ranked team looming ahead on our schedule to be considered. Otherwise, we are most likely out. We won't be able to drop to #7 and get back in the top 4 without some help at that point if we don't have any ranked teams to play. Only way we get in otherwise is if the loss is early and we get lucky and BC, NC State, Duke, or SCar end up ranked the week before we play them...those 4 are the closest chances on our schedule right now....and 2 of them play each other before we get to them (BC/NC State).

I think there is some “memory” built that we have been in

Sep 17, 2018, 11:02 PM

The playoffs three years going and had champ games 2/3 and looked good in both. I don’t think we looked especially horrible. So I get that’s not supposed to happen but it is the truth. So one loss at the right time will be forgivable. You’re not going to put a one loss PAC 10 or big 12 over us. Sec maybe but not if it’s the second one. So at worst you have an Ohio state beating penn state and Michigan, MSU, Wisconsin. I’d agree they’d get in. Part of the reason Alabama got in last year had almost nothing to do with what they accomplished last year and more about their history. You have to prove al doesn’t belong. And in the short term we’ve earned that too. Now you lose vs South Carolina or the acc champ and we may be outside looking in. Best scenario we’d both agree is to win them all

Re: I think there is some “memory” built that we have been in

Sep 17, 2018, 11:30 PM

I'm not too sure on that. Keep in mind, the only main reason we got that nod to 4 instead of 5 last year was that Kelly went out of the Syracuse game injured... the only loss. They gave benefit of the doubt based on their own protocol. The protocol states they look at injuries to key players. If we lose one this year, with no key injuries, that reasoning goes away.

Re: How you win matters

Sep 17, 2018, 12:52 PM

It doesn’t matter how some people spin it we played terrible in the 1st and 3rd quarter vs GS.
It wasn’t about building depth , it was about mistakes and not executing.
The coaches know this and things will be fixed.

Sep 17, 2018, 1:50 PM

I agree How You Win Matters.

Whoever we have on the field has the same objectives:

Defense--get 3-&-outs and get off the field. Hold the other team scoreless.

Offense--Score on every opportunity.

It still means we keep our foot on the gas on both sides of the ball, getting 110% out of each of our guys. More PT for all means a better, rested team at the end of the season with hopefully fewer injuries.

We got the HORSES!

Sep 17, 2018, 2:07 PM

I agree completely!! Every time we set foot on the football court we should set the goal at 6-0.

First of all, there aren't going to be 5 undefeated teams

Sep 17, 2018, 2:10 PM

That might not even happen in my lifetime (which i hope still has a good many years left). Second, Dabo isn't going to change his philosophy unless he gets burned by it, and even then I'm not sure he would.

Sep 17, 2018, 2:13 PM

Yes it matters. Football is about killer instinct. Going in and whipping ###. The fun in winning it all isn’t just hoisting the trophy at the end, it’s about dominating the competition all year. Does 56-7 matter to you? Does 31-0 matter? I’m glad we did! Also glad we won it all. But it’s not the only thing. I don’t want to squeak by all year unless it’s the best we can do. And it’s not.

Relax. It will all work out in the end.

Sep 17, 2018, 2:16 PM

No way we don't get picked if we're 13-0 and ACC Champs. Just have to play the next game on the schedule.

LSU will not get through unscathed. Georgia and OSU probably won't either. It will be fine.

And whoever gets to the playoffs gets the booby prize of playing an Alabama team that appears unstoppable.

Then Saban will hang it up and Dabo goes to Bama.

Then we get Dino Babers as head coach.

It will all work out in the end.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If we are undefeated ACC Champions.

Sep 17, 2018, 2:20 PM

We will be no worse than the #2 seed for the playoffs. That is true even with a lot of close calls along the way.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I agree that's possible. And we should win out...***

Sep 17, 2018, 3:01 PM

Sep 17, 2018, 3:40 PM

I agree with most posters. No way 5 teams go undefeated. Keeping out an undefeated ACC champ isn't going to happen. If we stub our toe, it depends when it happens. Early in the season not as bad as late. Also, if you lose the same weekend as other top team(s) it's ok. Lose late really hurts.

I trust the system.

Tennis player, huh ? Explains a lot.***

Sep 17, 2018, 3:45 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

now that's just mean ;)***

Sep 18, 2018, 1:26 PM

Sep 17, 2018, 7:19 PM

Win the conference and we are in. Don’t overthink it!

5 undefeated teams?!

Sep 17, 2018, 10:47 PM

When has there ever been 5 undefeated teams at the end of the season in modern college football?! Answer: never

When has there ever been 4 undefeated teams at the end of the season in modern college football?! Answer: never

When has there ever been 3 undefeated teams at the end of the season in modern college football?! Answer: once (2004) since 1974

There have only been 3 undefeated teams in the last 6 seasons!! BOTTOM LINE: win all the games in regular season and we will be in, even if we win the rest of our games by 1 point.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic