Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How would you pay athletes in college?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

How would you pay athletes in college?

May 24, 2019, 8:34 AM

I know there are several on this board who think college football players should be paid. I am curious how you would do it and deal with the following constraints:
* Under Title IX you would need to pay women athletes the same $ per athlete. So by extension all athletes on scholarship would need to be paid.
* Assuming a school with a football program like Clemson were to pay each athlete $50,000 per year (and you have to pay all athletes, female and male), you're looking at an extra $10m plus per year.
* If they are being paid, I would think they are now employees - so we now have worker's comp (expect that is VERY interesting with football), OSHA, etc.
* If you have a star athlete is $50k really fair/enough compared to the guy that only plays on special team or the female that rows a boat?

I get that is seems very unfair for these colleges and coaches to be making so much money "off" the athletes that "only" receive a free education and living expenses. However, I really don't see how it could be done without literally killing ALL college athletics.

Personally, I would like to see a cap on coaches salaries. I love Dabo and believe he is a fine man and a great coach (and I know he gives back to Clemson and the community in many ways) but what some of these guys make is obscene for amateur athletics.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How would you pay athletes in college?

May 24, 2019, 8:47 AM

Honestly, it's all liberal hooey. The desperate and futile attempt at fairness.

Looks at our own situation, for example. Coaches make millions per year and upper 6 figures for the "lower level" assistants. To some, they're making a killing off of the backs of the players. Typical liberal tripe.

So how are these coaches making their millions? They're doing it by working their butts off, foregoing a lot of family events that many of us take for granted, and having all their success and failures - real, perceived or rumored - played out in the public arena. Dabo didn't get his $98 million contract overnight. He worked for it. He underwent horribly embarrassing defeats - particularly the drought against UofSC and the blowout in the Orange Bowl. Many were calling for his head, but he persevered, adapted and overcame, and here he is.

So did he earn it off the backs of his players? The same players that have seen FOUR playoffs in a row (only one of 2 schools to do that, I think), that have seen FOUR conference championships in a row? The same players that have had unrivaled success at Clemson and the opportunities that come from that? All the media attention, the increased draft stock, the increased experiences they've had that no group of Clemson students has ever had? The same players who can forever wear the mantle of being the first team in the modern era to go 15-0? To say that they're being taken advantage of is ridiculous. They've been given opportunities few ever have AND they're graduating in record numbers - something that those arguing for this conveniently ignore.

At a time when college tuition is at a record and ridiculous high, they're getting theirs for free. Undergrad and masters, if they want. They can even seek to continue their free education elsewhere if they want. They get stipends for books and housing and such. They get loads of free swag from corporate sponsors and the bowls. And though they're not supposed to, I'm sure every athlete at every school has certain "advantages" that the rest of us didn't have during or after our college careers.

Those arguing that college football players should be paid are missing the very first word - college. They're there for an education first and foremost. The coaches are there to make sure these kids get that education, but also to mold them as young men and develop them in to champions.

Clemson isn't an example of what's wrong with college sports. It's the epitome of what's right and best about college sports, specifically college football. Literally nobody does it better.

May 24, 2019, 8:56 AM

Let them negotiate their own endorsements with shoe companies and gaming companies like EA Sports, the universities already provide enough support.

May 24, 2019, 9:00 AM

I think its simple. They have an option. They can be paid a salary,to include taxes, (all athletes, men and women) equal to the amount that tuition would be for 4 years of school and be responsible for their room and board, meals, tuition, and other fees that go along with college. Or they can receive a scholarship that pays all this in full with the stipend provided them by the school.

May 24, 2019, 9:01 AM

For all student athletes with full scholarships, give them the usual scholarship (books, fees and etc) worth about $25,000/year, pay them $500 per month above the usual stipend, and pay for one trip home each semester (mileage for driving or a RT airline ticket). For others with partial scholarships and walkons, prorate but give them something, for being part of the program.

That would cost the university approximately $10 - 12 million per year above the scholarship costs but could partially be recovered with royalties paid by the NCAA for use of player likeness (i.e. video games, player jersy sales, and etc.).

Just a thought.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also, transfer portal should be one way...like declaring

May 24, 2019, 9:02 AM

for draft. The minute you declare, you are ineligible for the team you are with, and your scholarship benefits (plus eventually pay) stop at the completion of the semester/term in which you declare.

Then, once that gets done, I guess we will see a slew of illicit contacts like "If you are interested in transferring, we have a spot for you, but wait as long as possible to enter the portal", or "Coach, I want to come to your school, but I don't want to declare just yet, because I want to punish my coaches for not playing me more."

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 24, 2019, 9:04 AM

With a free scholarship and a chance to play in the NFL

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not opposed to stipends...

May 24, 2019, 9:09 AM

but they have to be closely monitored and regulated.

If the objective is to maintain parity and a level playing field, some schools can't pay $2,500 per semester while others are permitted to pay $5,000 per semester or more.

Players will start going to the highest bidder.

If you do it, you have to pay EVERYONE (guys and girls) and include the non-revenue sports.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

May 24, 2019, 9:17 AM

They're getting an experience worth $470k per person as it stands. This is the Cost of the entire football program, approx $40MM divided by 85 players. This includes tuition, meals, dorms, books, medical, professional training and coaching by some of the best in the land. They also get free tuition to come back and finish their degree no matter how long it takes. I don't understand how anyone can say they are not getting paid.

If the NCAA decides to allow players to be paid, I would rather see Clemson drop out of D1 and compete with similar schools that would rather have true student/athletes than be in a semi-pro league.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 24, 2019, 9:19 AM

Unfair?? The one word that needs to be stricken from the English language. Fairness has nothing to do with it. The revenue and exposure the football program generates for us easily justifies the salaries of the staff. It’s the free market system, aka the dreaded “C” word: capitalism. Go ahead and pay the atheletes 50k/year. It won’t cost us much, probably be about a wash, since the athletes should then be paying their own tuition, room and board, meals, equipment, etc....
“...seems very unfair colleges and coaches to be making so much money off the atheletes”
“...I would like to see a cap on coaches salaries”
Never thought income redistribution would be advanced on this website.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 24, 2019, 9:20 AM

It would get tricky with baseball players. Most are on partial scholarships
so they are pro rated the amount of a full scholarship athlete? I believe
girls softball players are partial scholarship as well. What about walkons?

You don't. The minute we start paying players, the flood

May 24, 2019, 9:22 AM

gates open for booster/donor/athletic dept cheating on a scale we've never seen before. There is no way to monitor it or keep it from happening. Keep them amateur and let them work toward being a paid pro if that's the path they choose. In the meantime, they're getting expensive educations for free and huge exposure that will get them on any path they choose.

In Coupons ... I saw this TV show once called "Extreme

May 24, 2019, 9:24 AM

Couponing" and a lady got $500 worth of groceries for 13 cents.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2 logical ways to do it IMO

May 24, 2019, 9:25 AM

Let each player profit off their own likeness and negotiate independently so nothing comes from the school, therefore avoiding Title IX stipulations.

OR

Pay each athlete a % of the revenue earned by their team and it goes in a trust that they have access to upon their graduation or after they completed their 4th year of enrollment whichever comes first. Could even divide the team % by the % of snaps/minutes/etc played to reward those that contributed more to the overall success.

Its like “The Green New Deal” ... easy to talk about, but

May 24, 2019, 9:31 AM

Impossible to actually implement.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 24, 2019, 9:53 AM

The colleges don’t need to pay them. The NCAA should allow players to negotiate and receive their own endorsement deals from products, merchandise sales from vendors, etc. Allowing a player to receive endorsements creates a capitalistic market where the best players receive the most endorsements. Colleges don’t have to pay anything aside from a scholarship. Everyone wins.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic