Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How many offensive plays will Morris get to run in UGA game?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

How many offensive plays will Morris get to run in UGA game?

Aug 15, 2013, 12:58 PM

I'm asking this question because of some analysis I did and how the games played out in each case.

There were 3 good defenses played last year. Here are the results and # of plays run, excluding special teams plays.

FSU - 49 - 37 Loss; FSU - 77 plays CU - 75 plays

SCAR - 27 - 17 Loss; SCAR - 96 plays CU - 59 plays

LSU - 24 - 25 Win; LSU - 48 plays CU - 100 plays

For those that don't remember, there was a lead at the half in both the losses. So what happened in the 2nd half to lose the lead?....is the defense getting winded due to the offense not being on the field as much as is typical?

I know there is never one thing that causes a loss in a football game and lots of factors are at play, but just looking at the 3 top 10 teams played last year I guess the fact a 100 play performance netted only a 1 point win is a concern going into the UGA game.

UGA likely has a top 10 offense this season and will definitely get more plays run than LSU did. Since there is only so much time in a football game, if we assume UGA gets 70-80 plays run then there is no way there is time for Morris to get 90+ plays in.

How will the UGA game play out?

I guess it may look mostly like the FSU game from last year with both teams running the similar # of plays. I see an early lead again and likely a lead at the half. So the question becomes how to hold on to the lead through the second half.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you should probably also check against UMd and VT

Aug 15, 2013, 1:00 PM

Those were also pretty good defenses, although their numbers will be skewed because their offenses were so bad.

Georgia only ran 67 plays/ game last year, so their offense is more about ball control. Then again, they weren't playing a lot of hurry up teams last year, so that may be another reason why their offense didn't run a lot of plays.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: you should probably also check against UMd and VT

Aug 15, 2013, 1:20 PM

> Those were also pretty good defenses, although their
> numbers will be skewed because their offenses were so
> bad.
>
> Georgia only ran 67 plays/ game last year, so their
> offense is more about ball control. Then again, they
> weren't playing a lot of hurry up teams last year, so
> that may be another reason why their offense didn't
> run a lot of plays.
>

Cam...the ball control offense is a good point and really adds even more concern about the potential for the defense to get winded in the 2nd half.

If UGA was getting almost 70 plays a game against the SEC's slower tempo offenses last year then if Morris can't keep the offense on the field the defense may struggle in the 2nd half.

All offenses will have some 3 and outs. An offense with an average tempo may run a few minutes off the clock in a 3 and out. A HUNH offense can literally have the defense back on the field without a full minute run off the clock in a 3 and out.

78***

Aug 15, 2013, 1:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2013, 1:01 PM

VT and MD finished in the top 20 in defense too***

Aug 15, 2013, 1:03 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We lost the lead against SC because our DBs wore

Aug 15, 2013, 1:05 PM

cinder blocks instead of gloves.

that and...

Aug 15, 2013, 1:10 PM

some pretty questionably PI calls in the 4th quarter.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...down.***

Aug 15, 2013, 1:13 PM [ in reply to We lost the lead against SC because our DBs wore ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At haltime of last yr's FSU game we had the lead but...

Aug 15, 2013, 1:06 PM

They already had 300 + yds. of offense. I knew then that we were in trouble.

81 is a good number.******

Aug 15, 2013, 1:10 PM

Coach Morris will be disappointed if we don't run 90+***

Aug 15, 2013, 1:15 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

110***

Aug 15, 2013, 1:15 PM

"gurshall" fumbles or am int.'s ? to run that many plays,

Aug 15, 2013, 1:18 PM

we're going to have to be the beneficiary of quite a few turnovers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am going to implement this thinking during our next

Aug 15, 2013, 1:37 PM

executive business meeting. I have told our BU director that we should stop worrying so much about revenues and we should focus on activities to determine the success of our business. I hope he will be able to convey this to our investors.

I have found that if we submit 100 sales quotations per year that we will meet our forecast. This is the only number that matters. None of the other functions in the company effect our ability to hit the revenue target except for the number of quotations. My boss seems to think that we should also consider our competitors and how it might effect our ability to hit the revenue target, but I keep telling him that as long as we keep putting out quotes, everything will fall into place. The key to our success is the sales department and the number of quotations they produce annually. That's it.

Re: I am going to implement this thinking during our next

Aug 15, 2013, 2:01 PM

do not agree.. it is the number of ACCEPTED QUOTATIONS (or proposals) that are completed @ the profit goal that matter..if U put out 500 quotations and get no sold quotations then what do U have??

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^perhaps you didn't catch the aroma of sarcasm***

Aug 15, 2013, 2:43 PM

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic