Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How good will LSU and Bama really be in '20?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

How good will LSU and Bama really be in '20?

Apr 26, 2020, 8:14 AM

(Yes, this is a football post. Apologies.)

In my humble opinion, LSU is about to turn back into a pumpkin after their Cinderella year. They lost - get this - a whopping 18 seniors and juniors who had draft grades, and 14 of those were drafted. Included in that, of course, were five first-rounders, including a guy in Joe Burrow who was the best single-season college QB of all time. They've recruited well under Ed the Ogre, but 2019 was also just a the-stars-all-aligned year and by the end of the season that LSU squad was probably playing at a level we've seldom (if ever, actually) seen before in college football. We managed to give them a game, but faded late...but we also only had half their draft picks, too. The draft doesn't lie. They were crazy loaded with veteran guys.

This is what they lost. (It does not count coaches, and they lost a lot of those too.) It looks like a phone book:
https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects/allPositions?college=LSU&page=1&status=ALL&year=2020

Alabama was gutted nearly as bad...and again, they lost a transcendent QB of their own in Tua. One fascinating factoid: all of their picks went in the third round or above. That is a truly massive talent hit off a team that was already showing ###### in its armor last year. Again, Alabama recruits like an absolute machine, but their coaching-staff turnover has been a sight to see under Saban and because of immense player turnover year-after-year that sees 8-10 guys a year hit the transfer portal as well as another chunk of players departing early for the NFL (six of their draftees were juniors, as opposed to just three of Clemson's), Alabama has been struggling with depth the last couple seasons as well.

So how good is Bama in 2020? We simply don't know. It's going to have a lot to do with how well a bunch of freshmen and true sophomores replace these guys...without the benefit of a full Spring or any kind of summer acclimation. And the staff that's coaching them has only been in the system a year or two (incidentally, Alabama also saw their highly-respected S&C coach, Scottie Cochran, poached by Kirby Smart and UGA a couple months back.)
https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects/allPositions?college=Alabama&page=1&status=ALL&year=2020

The SEC West is not...forgiving. No dynasty last forever and I truly do wonder if this is the year Bama starts falling back to the pack. They were an 11-win team last year; I wonder if they might be a 9-10 win team in 2020 (assuming, of course, we actually get a full season!)

What say you guys?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I read your post, gave you a TU

Apr 26, 2020, 8:22 AM

and then remembered...….they ain't gonna be no football. This gives me the sads.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Lol... that was funny.

Apr 26, 2020, 11:56 AM

That was a joke, right?

Hush yaw mouf.***

Apr 26, 2020, 5:46 PM [ in reply to I read your post, gave you a TU ]

Think positive!!***

Apr 27, 2020, 8:42 AM [ in reply to I read your post, gave you a TU ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So what happened to their armor?

Apr 26, 2020, 8:57 AM

You should watch your language.

Thanks for the insights.

As good as LSU was, Clemson was right there with them. It was LSU'S night with the home crowd.
Too many mistakes by Clemson and LSU just had magic.

Taking away Tee's TD was a dagger. It was not the difference in the game but it sure made the score look lopsided.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So what happened to their armor?

Apr 26, 2020, 10:26 AM

LOL. For whatever reason TNet won't allow the word "c-h-i-n-k"...my guess is, it perceives it as a racial slur.

In this case I was using it in its traditional sense, not insulting the Chinese.

Apr 26, 2020, 1:58 PM

quozzel said:

LOL. For whatever reason TNet won't allow the word "c-h-i-n-k"...my guess is, it perceives it as a racial slur.

In this case I was using it in its traditional sense, not insulting the Chinese.

One could argue then, that the Lords of TNEt are rassist against the little yellow bastiges.

They're culture is 4 thousand year old, they invented gunpowder, sex, how to breath and cheap motorcycles.

TNET should give them their due. One has ###### in armor, ###### in wallboard, ###### in a strong argument and ###### in ideas.

Shame tnet, shame.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 27, 2020, 10:13 AM [ in reply to So what happened to their armor? ]

Everybody has their opinion on what happen in that game as to why we lost that game. Other than LSU being being loaded and they were a good team. A team in the Power 5 that has a 15-0 season, they must be a good team, and LSU was, BUT, it was a 3 point game with 5 minutes left in the 3d quarter when Skalski was thrown out the game for targeting, and from what I saw it was targeting by the rule. Our D wasn't the same from point on!!!

IMO, our D was made up with patches across the front 7 for the entire season without any elite depth, and again IMO, BV done an amazing job throughout the season changing things up and making the best of a not so good situation with last years D, and when a high energy leader like Skalski is all of a sudden out of the game that they fought their butts off, it knocked the wind from the sails of our D!!!

Message was edited by: allinallorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't underestimate the loss of Joe Brady

Apr 26, 2020, 10:28 AM

He made Burrow into a QB. The three years before that Burrow was fairly pedestrian. Between the departure of Brady and a 5th year QB in Burrow that alone is massive. And they replace him with a guy in Linehan who didn't even coach last year.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How good will LSU and Bama really be in '20?

Apr 26, 2020, 10:37 AM

LSU way worse of course. Bama really good again. Bama wins the SEC title.

Apr 26, 2020, 10:53 AM

Listen to this man.

The bottom line will be QB play. I believe UGA or UF would have a chance against Bama in the SEC title game.

Apr 26, 2020, 11:01 AM

I see Florida at least trying to make a statement whenever football comes back. May at least make the SECCG.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bama is not going anywhere as long as Saban is there. LSU

Apr 26, 2020, 11:20 AM

still has to prove that they can reload as successfully as Bama seems to do year after year. I think the SECheat West will truly be a dogfight this season. Bimbo still has to prove he can join the big boys. Mall Zone may have something to say about it as well. It will be interesting to see if Elephant Ears replants himself firmly up Lil Nicky's rectum, or if he jumps ship to Shrekland.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 26, 2020, 11:58 AM

quozzel said:

(Yes, this is a football post. Apologies.)

In my humble opinion, LSU is about to turn back into a pumpkin after their Cinderella year. They lost - get this - a whopping 18 seniors and juniors who had draft grades, and 14 of those were drafted. Included in that, of course, were five first-rounders, including a guy in Joe Burrow who was the best single-season college QB of all time. They've recruited well under Ed the Ogre, but 2019 was also just a the-stars-all-aligned year and by the end of the season that LSU squad was probably playing at a level we've seldom (if ever, actually) seen before in college football. We managed to give them a game, but faded late...but we also only had half their draft picks, too. The draft doesn't lie. They were crazy loaded with veteran guys.

This is what they lost. (It does not count coaches, and they lost a lot of those too.) It looks like a phone book:
https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects/allPositions?college=LSU&page=1&status=ALL&year=2020

Alabama was gutted nearly as bad...and again, they lost a transcendent QB of their own in Tua. One fascinating factoid: all of their picks went in the third round or above. That is a truly massive talent hit off a team that was already showing ###### in its armor last year. Again, Alabama recruits like an absolute machine, but their coaching-staff turnover has been a sight to see under Saban and because of immense player turnover year-after-year that sees 8-10 guys a year hit the transfer portal as well as another chunk of players departing early for the NFL (six of their draftees were juniors, as opposed to just three of Clemson's), Alabama has been struggling with depth the last couple seasons as well.

So how good is Bama in 2020? We simply don't know. It's going to have a lot to do with how well a bunch of freshmen and true sophomores replace these guys...without the benefit of a full Spring or any kind of summer acclimation. And the staff that's coaching them has only been in the system a year or two (incidentally, Alabama also saw their highly-respected S&C coach, Scottie Cochran, poached by Kirby Smart and UGA a couple months back.)
https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects/allPositions?college=Alabama&page=1&status=ALL&year=2020

The SEC West is not...forgiving. No dynasty last forever and I truly do wonder if this is the year Bama starts falling back to the pack. They were an 11-win team last year; I wonder if they might be a 9-10 win team in 2020 (assuming, of course, we actually get a full season!)

What say you guys?

What blows my mind is that so many players with NFL talent would want to be at LSU. It's not a good school academically, BR isn't a good city, and historically the coaches have not been particularly good.

Why wouldn't they choose a school like USC (California, not Carolina)

For LSU, you have to add in “How does Coach O handle the divorce of his wife of 20+ years?”

Apr 26, 2020, 1:43 PM

I’m not making light of that situation but that can’t be easy. Does he become a workaholic? Does he lose focus?

So that...
Plus losing 14 players who were draft picks. FOURTEEN!...
Including your Heisman QB...
Plus both your OC and DC left.

I’m not saying they’re going to be average...but if they are anywhere near elite this season, Coach O is quite the coach.

null

Apr 26, 2020, 1:44 PM

LSU has always had top talent.

They just usually don't produce.

I doubt they catch lightning in a bottle like last year, but if the coaching is good they won't disappear.

I'd expect Alabama and LSU will be in the discussion for the playoffs for at least the next few years. I'm fine with that as long as the winner gets in and the loser stays home.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 26, 2020, 1:52 PM

I think Bama maintains and LSU drops off some. My question is, who else from the West can make it to the SECCG?

Apr 26, 2020, 2:55 PM

LSU will drop but might still be Top Ten.

LSU lost 5 First Round guys, coming in they were 3star, 4star, 4star, 0star and 3star. they were well developed at LSU.

JRs and SRs were recruited by Miles and O as Acting HC. It has improved since O became HC. The raw talent will be as good as it was in '19 altho it is nearly impossible to match what was.

O took over a train wreck and made it work. He salvaged an 8 win season, then won 9, 10, 15. He has shown no sign of slacking off. A colorful character, kids love to be around him and play for him.

Lack of Spring Ball will hurt LSU more than it will hurt others as a new QB, and a switch from 3-4 to 4-3 on D, requires much much more time and reps than CU will need.

And playing 5 of the top 12 teams per LV odds for NC don't make it easy. CU plays only 1; Kudos for stepping up to that.

^^^^^What he said.^^^^^***

Apr 26, 2020, 3:08 PM

Apr 27, 2020, 8:35 AM [ in reply to Re: How good will LSU and Bama really be in '20? ]

What I fail to understand is - Did O suddenly become a great coach? His stints at Ole Miss and USC were failures IMO. He accomplished nothing in previous coaching jobs. But maybe I missed it since he never really showed up on my radar as a great coach. Last year, he had the Perfect Storm as all the stars and moons aligned for LSU. I could probably have won most of those games as HC and I don't know crap about how to coach. But, I do have enough sense to let my coordinators do their job. Oh wait...they're gone.

Apr 27, 2020, 6:07 PM

What I fail to understand is - Did O suddenly become a great coach? His stints at Ole Miss and USC were failures IMO. He accomplished nothing in previous coaching jobs. But maybe I missed it since he never really showed up on my radar as a great coach. Last year, he had the Perfect Storm as all the stars and moons aligned for LSU. I could probably have won most of those games as HC and I don't know crap about how to coach. But, I do have enough sense to let my coordinators do their job. Oh wait...they're gone.

First, O sobered up. He is no longer a practicing alcoholic. He is very open about this.

O didn't fail at USC, he took over a dumpster fire mid-season and finished 6-2. Many USC peeps wanted him but believe he was passed over because he didn't fit their elite private school image.

at LSU O did/does what he does best: Recruit, Delegate, Motivate. His plan was to pay top $$$$$$$ to hire excellent Assts and let them coach.

O hires top assts and expects them to move out and up.
When the DC job opened up he got more than 100 applicants.
When Pass Game Coord opened up he brought in an experienced former NFL coord, said the RPO was already in and he wanted someone with experience and ideas in other directions so they wouldn't repeat, will continue to innovate and develop.

Many LSU fans were concerned with O was hired but have now watched him salvage a huge mess, finishing a season as Interim HC 6-2. He laid out his plans, then proceeded to win 8, 10, 15. The last 2 seasons LSU was 11-1 vs Top Ten teams, he didn't do this vs midgets.

While recruiting Burrow mid-'18, O told him and family how LSU would open up the Off but that he couldn't implement it in '18, it would happen in '19. Jimmy B, Jeaux's dad (long time DC at Ohio U) told us that early in the season, I heard him say that in person.

Apr 27, 2020, 11:05 PM

Alcoholics don’t practice. They are sober or not. An alcoholic is always an alcoholic.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 26, 2020, 2:45 PM

LSU lost 14 to the draft including starting QB, RB, TE, T, T, G, G, C, WR plus 5 from their defense including starting LB, Edge, S, and the rest.

It was a magical season for LSU, well deserved. But in the last 10 years, they've only had 3 11 win seasons. 3. During the same period, we've had 7.

LSU is in for a curb-stomping next year, in my opinion.

Although slipping this year, Bama will still be a contender.

Clemson, as usual, will be devastatingly effective and win it all.

Apr 26, 2020, 3:33 PM

bama ain't going nowhere, unfortunately.

Few years ago someone examined rosters, found bama had more 5star guys than the entire Big10. Their back-ups are 5 star waiting for a chance to play.

Bama had only one annual team with talent even close to theirs, LSU which had a coach that tried to run against 9 in the box. Nick thus used big, strong LBs and simply shut LSU down, and his talent was so great he beat most others. He did have some trouble with excellent QBs though, see OM, Tamu, Clemson. bama faltered on D in '19 but still had excellent talent.

bama losing 10 to the draft is not far from average for them. Tua will be difficult to replace, the guy that replaced him late lost a game to AU by throwing 2 Pic-6.

bama hasn't gone down, the SEC is catching up. They had a great run, winning 5 NCs in 9 yrs, but they have now won only 1 SEC Champ in the past 3 seasons.

Massive asst coach turnover is due to 2 factors:
> having coached under Saban makes a coach very desirable.
> Nick drives coaches unreasonably, 20 hr days year 'round while being extremely obnoxious to them.

early line: bama -3 @LSU

My best guess is that on a neutral field, starting the season, line would be bama -1.5 vs Clemson.

Apr 26, 2020, 3:50 PM

I'm actually agreeing with you--Bama's not going anywhere. Expect Saban to be more determined than ever after not living up to his standards last season.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Apr 27, 2020, 8:47 AM [ in reply to Re: How good will LSU and Bama really be in '20? ]

your two replies in this post are actually good. Make sense and you are not really trolling but adding good football talk.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 27, 2020, 12:50 PM

your two replies in this post are actually good. Make sense and you are not really trolling but adding good football talk.

Thank you. I try. My goal is to tell it like it is.

Sometimes my posts #### off peeps on the LSU board who think every post should be praise instead of honest opinion.

I enjoy talking football, sports, related ideas. Find good posters on this board. Expect some to be negative as they see me as an invader. No big deal, lived in the heat and developed thick skin.

Apr 27, 2020, 10:20 AM

I think SEC will shuffle out in this order: Bama, UGA, Florida, Auburn, LSU, Tex A&M and then who cares. I just think LSU lost too much. We had a Shamecock guy at the office talking trash about Clemson losing the NCG....you know how they are, love to brag about their Big Brother teams cuz they are garbage dwellers. Anyhoo, he was talking trash. I told him "There is no shame losing to THAT team in the NCG. That particular LSU team could beat some of the lowliest of NFL teams with the talent they had." And we see that now - 14 guys drafted, who knows how many others signed as FA after the draft. And we were young - young D-line especially. And 1/2 of our OC tandem was distracted with new HC job he had split time working at. But we're not OSU - we don't sit around belly aching about games we lost that we should have lost. Sure that Tee TD would have helped the end score look better but LSU was better team and better coached that night. Like Richard Petty use to say, all you can hope to do is give yourself a chance to win. Then you win some, lose some. We were in the mix and lost...but hey, we were there. And we'll be back, Lord willing.

Not on this topic but regarding that NCG - I honestly think OSU would have fared better vs LSU than Clemson did. Sling all the mud you want but hear me out. Its not that OSU was better than Clemson but its about on-the-field matchups. OSU would not have abandoned the run in 2nd half the way that Clemson erroneously did. And OSU's DBs are more lockdown guys than Clemson's DBs are. So, in that sense, I think OSU would have been a closer game vs LSU. But they didn't beat Clemson so its irrelevant.

Apr 27, 2020, 12:56 PM

jscott224 said:

I think SEC will shuffle out in this order: Bama, UGA, Florida, Auburn, LSU, Tex A&M and then who cares. I just think LSU lost too much. We had a Shamecock guy at the office talking trash about Clemson losing the NCG....you know how they are, love to brag about their Big Brother teams cuz they are garbage dwellers. Anyhoo, he was talking trash. I told him "There is no shame losing to THAT team in the NCG. That particular LSU team could beat some of the lowliest of NFL teams with the talent they had." And we see that now - 14 guys drafted, who knows how many others signed as FA after the draft. And we were young - young D-line especially. And 1/2 of our OC tandem was distracted with new HC job he had split time working at. But we're not OSU - we don't sit around belly aching about games we lost that we should have lost. Sure that Tee TD would have helped the end score look better but LSU was better team and better coached that night. Like Richard Petty use to say, all you can hope to do is give yourself a chance to win. Then you win some, lose some. We were in the mix and lost...but hey, we were there. And we'll be back, Lord willing.

Not on this topic but regarding that NCG - I honestly think OSU would have fared better vs LSU than Clemson did. Sling all the mud you want but hear me out. Its not that OSU was better than Clemson but its about on-the-field matchups. OSU would not have abandoned the run in 2nd half the way that Clemson erroneously did. And OSU's DBs are more lockdown guys than Clemson's DBs are. So, in that sense, I think OSU would have been a closer game vs LSU. But they didn't beat Clemson so its irrelevant.

This LSU + UGA grad sees it almost the same: bama, UF, UGA, LSU, AU, Tamu.

UF is building a monster that will compete with UGA & anybody, and Tamu could follow in coming years.

after the departure of Chris Weinke 2.0 they're gonna

Apr 27, 2020, 10:29 AM

struggle a bit.

Apr 27, 2020, 12:35 PM

Not understanding the " back to a pumpkin". Reference.... I'm not sure if you're aware or not but LSU has won more games than Bama and Clemson in the last 20 years and has won more national championships than any other school during that time except for Bama . Also Lsu has never had a season with less than 8 wins since 2000 , Bama or Clemson can't say the same . Love Clemson and Lsu , I have interest in both because of living in both areas and pulling for them both all my life

agree with those saying Bama isn't going anywhere next year.

Apr 27, 2020, 1:43 PM

I believe I saw a couple mock drafts out for next year where they had like 6 or 7 projected in the 1st round alone- that's an insane #

think he's talking from a CFP standpoint, We're clemson we

Apr 27, 2020, 3:26 PM [ in reply to Re: How good will LSU and Bama really be in '20? ]

think in terms of the playoff not when you're playing the other scrubs.

+1 for the normally good assessment Quozzel! LSU falls back

Apr 27, 2020, 1:41 PM

to the pack in SEC West and Bama keeps on being Bama and wins SEC championship again. Not sure if UGA makes in back to SEC Championship but if they do it's because of light SEC East again.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic