Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Have you ever been racist? I have.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Have you ever been racist? I have.

Aug 24, 2017, 6:59 PM

I grew up in an almost completely white town in SC. I played at school with all the other kids like kids do but when I got home I wasn't allowed to have my black friends over. I was taught that we were different. My dad, rest his soul, told me that if God didn't intend for blue birds and red birds to share a nest then he didn't intend for blacks and whites to have those relationships either. He was my dad. I listened. I believed what he said just as my son believes what I tell him.

After I got older I began to understand that my father was wrong. But that doesn't mean that I didn't treat others different because of what I had been taught. By the way, red birds and blue birds are different species. Black and White humans aren't different species. I later explained this to my father. He didn't really accept it until I married a girl that was 1/2 Mexican and we had a son. He softened up a bit but still used the "N" word regularly.

Now I'm a public school teacher and share my story (as a middle aged white man) with my mostly black students. They are usually quite surprised but they also seem to have a great deal of understanding. I want them to know that as they become adults they need to think for themselves and not believe everything that everyone ever tells them. Investigate and judge for themselves.

Should we all be judged based on our past beliefs and discretions or should we be judged based on the content of our character that we exhibit daily TODAY?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

People of the times.***

Aug 24, 2017, 7:06 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Racist now is if

Aug 24, 2017, 7:13 PM

You even mention a stereotype.
Or have a 3 yr white kid waving an American flag.
Or just were born white.

So pretty much every white person on here is racist.

Especially tbalm

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So we'll all agree to stop trotting out that photo of Robert

Aug 24, 2017, 7:21 PM

Byrd and Hillary, right?

I grew up in an almost completely white town in NJ.

Aug 24, 2017, 8:00 PM

Any time my family drove through a black neighborhood it was clear that it wasn't a safe place. Kinda like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mHB7h66hsQ

My parents and public school didn't teach me that I was different. Experience has taught me that other people are different from me. At the same time, I've observed a lot of common threads throughout different cultures, races, ethnicities, religions, genders, etc. And I judge people based on the content of their character regardless of their sexual orientation or where they're from or any other irrelevant qualifier.

So what's the point of this discussion? Who are we judging for things they used to believe?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you made lots of black friends?***

Aug 24, 2017, 8:14 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like Obed.***

Aug 24, 2017, 8:17 PM

One time in Rock Hill, me and my best friend who was black..

Aug 24, 2017, 8:47 PM

jumped out of a sled heading towards a car, and left a red head boy in the front from Chicago to slide under the car. Not sure what his face looks like now, but it was grotesque then.

It snowed like a foot that day btw.

The black guy was a Meeks, y'all might rememeber them.

nope, but I don't think it ever snowed a foot in RH,

Aug 24, 2017, 9:29 PM

or even close to it, when I lived there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Guess you weren't there.

Aug 24, 2017, 9:41 PM

Built a effin igloo. Biggest snow in my lifetime I played in.

not sure if you are tying to be an azzhat or not

Aug 24, 2017, 8:57 PM [ in reply to I grew up in an almost completely white town in NJ. ]

THE POINT is that just because someone believed something in the past doesn't mean they believe it today. Read the news. Keep up. Do you need a link or are you new to the interwebs.

Re: not sure if you are tying to be an azzhat or not

Aug 24, 2017, 9:25 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-vQPxqzKWA

You now what's interesting?

Aug 24, 2017, 9:46 PM [ in reply to not sure if you are tying to be an azzhat or not ]

Prejudices aside and without knowing anything about your demographics, I know you're an insufferable as#####.

Yes. Yes I am. ;)***

Aug 24, 2017, 10:20 PM

I still hate Yankees that drive foreign cars

Aug 24, 2017, 9:00 PM [ in reply to I grew up in an almost completely white town in NJ. ]

is this the Jounge?

Yankees drive domestic one's?***

Aug 24, 2017, 9:02 PM

You believe in domestic cars?

Aug 24, 2017, 9:58 PM [ in reply to I still hate Yankees that drive foreign cars ]

Adorable.

Re: I still hate Yankees that drive foreign cars

Aug 24, 2017, 10:23 PM [ in reply to I still hate Yankees that drive foreign cars ]

I seem to remember my dad dragging us from New Jersey to Ft Meyers in our '80 dodge Aspen Wagon, later named the Aspain. It dropped its universal joint on I95 in Jacksonville and it cost a fortune to get us back up and running on a Sunday. They bought nothing But Toyotas and Nissans after that.

Granted Domestics are far more reliable now, but they are uglier than sin when it comes to design.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I drive a pickup and don't really care what it looks like

Aug 24, 2017, 10:25 PM

but I'm quite comfy in my F150. I buy them used every 10 years or so (when they are already 8-10 years old). Haven't had a problem in the last 30 years.

Re: I drive a pickup and don't really care what it looks like

Aug 24, 2017, 10:27 PM

When it comes to trucks and Sports cars, there are some good looking american made cars out there. But I can not honestly name a 4/5 door american that is all that attractive. If I were to buy a truck, Ford F150 would be hard to pass up.

I bought both teenage daughters cars (no pigs)

Aug 24, 2017, 10:39 PM

one was a Kia Optima and the other was a Nissan Maxima. But neither of my daughters are yankees. The one that drives the Maxima will likely cut you or anyone else that messes with her.

Re: I drive a pickup and don't really care what it looks like

Aug 24, 2017, 10:41 PM [ in reply to Re: I drive a pickup and don't really care what it looks like ]

there aren't many, but there are a few

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not sure about the Buick

Aug 24, 2017, 10:46 PM

but yes.

Message was edited by: Tigerbalm1®

of course Obed posts a Cadillac

Aug 24, 2017, 11:00 PM [ in reply to Re: I drive a pickup and don't really care what it looks like ]

;)

and a Lincoln.***

Aug 24, 2017, 11:11 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I grew up on US Air bases

Aug 25, 2017, 7:40 AM

Mainly in the North. Never was. Even though Dad and Mom were both native South Carolinians they were not rascist. When he retired from USAF WE MOVED back to SC. I was in 4th grade. My next door neighbor tried to teach me to be a rascist. It didn't take. My granddaughter married a black man. They have two beautiful daughters. Which I love very much. I know about peer pressure.

1st post here in a while...TL:DR

Aug 25, 2017, 7:53 AM

My grandmother/grandfather on daddy's side owned a small country store located 501 N Wilder St, Rockwood, TN. During the fifties, sixties and seventies going northward on Wilder St you'd see only white families while toward the south you'd see only blacks. The store was part of the south side of their house.

I spent many years there in and out as we moved to and from Rockwood. I knew 12 or 15 black families with children and about the same number of white families. My grandparents offered credit to everyone at their store. I never saw a person come in that store and leave without food, whether crackers, cheese and bologna for their lunch or chicken, steak or ham for supper. They treated everyone with respect and charity while leaving none behind that I ever saw.

I never heard my parents speak of any particular difference between blacks and whites. Well maybe once, my daddy told me he was 15 years old before he knew a white girl had a #####. That was how I was raised. That is why I say what I wish without reservations for I consider myself equal to everyone. I didn't play with all the black children or all the white children. I played with kids my age and a few cousins who lived in Rockwood. If you were playing at someone's house around suppertime you were invited to eat there with them. I never turned down a meal or a dish, well, except at my grandmothers but that's another story I remember.

Ms. Jordan, the mother of a black family of six or seven children had attempted to prove to my grandmother that she could cook chitlins(sic) so well that my grandfather couldn't tell what they were. I think she probably bought the chitlins at their store. She showed up about suppertime with a plate of what looked like scrambled eggs. We gathered at the table with 'Daddyclyde,' sitting at the head and started passing food around for servings.

'Fanniemama,' my grandmother asked if Daddyclyde wasn't having any of that dish. He said he didn't eat chitlins anymore he wanted a pork chop instead. I didn't exactly know what was a chitlins was at the time but I decided a pork chop was my choice too.

I was there at FM and DCs when blacks came from Campbell high school to Rockwood high school. I played basketball at Campbell high gym during the summers with friend of both colors. It was within walking distance from the store so I looked forward to the change. I don't remember which year, perhaps during the 11th grade. I had just moved back from West Palm Beach, FL and intended to take up friendships where we had left off during my previous years in Rockwood.

Many whites talked of racial tensions but I can remember only one fight between a white boy and a black boy. The white guy, known as an overbearing bully, picked on a black guy I knew. I caught the tail end of the fight and appreciated that both held their own. To my memory that was the extent of our racial problems but it didn't appear to do with skin color.

I don't know, maybe it was the Christianity of our family, maybe it was the Cherokee heritage. Maybe it was Rockwood. Maybe the struggle for life was such a task for adults in those days they didn't have time to focus on such trivial things as skin color. I reckon it's all really none of my business.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 1st post here in a while...TL:DR

Aug 25, 2017, 1:35 PM

Just trying to get by. Just trying to make it is what it's called.

Not having to worry is called white privilege.

Re: Have you ever been racist? I have.

Aug 25, 2017, 1:25 PM

And if your son marries a black girl, then what?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 25, 2017, 1:39 PM

We all have racial pinups due to society's racial pinups. To be without is to be without society, which is impossible. It takes consciousness and training to discern what comes from society and what is true.

I'm half black, half white, the racial identity process as been real. It's funny when I catch myself , saying or doing something different due to race.

If you didn't think a mixed guy could Ben racist. Your wrong.

Not that I am racist, but I did grow up in this society. I was raised by my black dad and white side of the family majorly, which may play a part.

I feel both sides so evenly. It's quite the dilemma

Aug 25, 2017, 1:56 PM

CLEMPZENtygurs®

I find your post interesting as helll. Seriously - not trolling. Do you have any examples that may help illustrate some of the situations that you've been in before.

*let me specify that I'm a bit buzzed, so I find this interesting, when I normally may not.*

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Are there any statues of you displayed on public property?

Aug 25, 2017, 2:04 PM

Asking for a friend.

null

Aug 25, 2017, 2:35 PM

I've been the victim of several racially motivated assaults over the years but I don't hold it against black people in general. It pisses me off when they think only white people are racist tho. It definitely goes both ways and the media really annoys me when they portray blacks as the victims all of the time.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic