Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I started a Hulu trial with live tv shows
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 398

I started a Hulu trial with live tv shows

Apr 12, 2021, 10:35 AM

for research purposes, and because I'm waiting on a replacement Dish receiver. Doesn't look like I can get all live network etc TV shows. Some of the news I tried to watch was from the day before. What a bargain! Day old news for $65/mo. Day old would be fine for most network shows, but I don't really watch many of those. And apparently local channels are not available for me either.

So I guess I'll stick with paying too much for Dish, and streaming Netflix and Prime.

One day, the worm will turn.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They got us all by the bawls

Apr 12, 2021, 10:40 AM

Even streaming....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I only use it for ACC Network

Apr 12, 2021, 10:43 AM

which is why I hate the ACC Network so badly. I basically have to spend $600 a year to watch what I should be able to watch on my Comcast Cable.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Had a convo about that this weekend in the woods.

Apr 12, 2021, 10:51 AM

Cordcutting used to be a legit value proposition, but it seems like it's all leveled off into the same big pool of same-priced programming, regardless of how it gets into your house.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They keep promising ala carte streaming but I'm guessing

Apr 12, 2021, 10:53 AM

we'll have smart stop lights and flying cars before that happens

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

My locals are live on YouTube TV

Apr 12, 2021, 10:52 AM

and you get a month free with every gmail you can create

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

protip, gmail ignores the periods in emails

Apr 12, 2021, 10:55 AM

Not sure if you can use it to actually fool GOOGLE, but you can sign up for multiple trial offers by just moving the period around in your email addy. It all goes to your GMAIL account.

gAy.p0rn.l0ver.69@gmail.com and gAyp0rnl0ver.69@gmail.com all go to the same account.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

maybe I'll give it another trial.

Apr 12, 2021, 11:07 AM [ in reply to My locals are live on YouTube TV ]

it does look like you can cloud-DVR stuff on at least some streaming networks, but then it's network-specific.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And youtube TV is shareable for six other family members

Apr 12, 2021, 2:37 PM [ in reply to My locals are live on YouTube TV ]

and the interface is much better than the others, and there is unlimited recording, and, well, I like it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thats another part about Hulu that sucks--the DVR

Apr 12, 2021, 2:54 PM

Seemingly, if you start recording something to watch maybe just once, its damm near impossible to get Hulu to STOP recording it. There is no plain, obvious way to say "just stop and don't record this show any more, ever".

There's a way to "unlike" it, and to delete all the content (one show at a time) and even say to stop recording it, but it just keeps doing it anyway.

I often find shows that randomly come on at like 4 am that get recorded that I watched years ago and deleted. There's an interview with GW Bush about 9/11 that I know I have told to quit recording at least 3 times, maybe more. I saw the show. I don't need to ever see it again. But Hulu thinks I want to have available, multiple times, in my DVR for perpetuity.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hulu is only useful because of the ACC network

Apr 12, 2021, 10:54 AM

thats the only reason I suffer through its incorrect time listings and frequent buffering antics.

YoutubeTV is superior in just about ever other way.

HuluLive is great for us

Apr 12, 2021, 10:55 AM

but we rarely use it and my brother pays for it.

I buy NetFlix and Disney+
He pays for HuluLive

We share.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

After the time changed in March, the time was wrong on Hulu

Apr 12, 2021, 11:04 AM

for about 2 weeks afterwards. It would show what is on now for the time from an hour before. They had 2 updates to the app that didn't fix it, then one day, with no announced updates, it was fixed. Oddly, I think one of the updates actually broke it, as 3/4 TV's I had were incorrect, then after an update, all 4 were incorrect.

It bugs me how much it buffers. I watch Youtube content all the time and it never does. I have a 300MB connection that is usually, according to speedtest.net, more than that, so I don't think its my internet connection. And now the price is going up (again) to $72, which might be the final deal breaker for me.

I get ACCN with youtube tv

Apr 12, 2021, 10:58 AM [ in reply to Hulu is only useful because of the ACC network ]

was I not supposed to?

Panta Rhei Heraclitus

I did a trial back when ACCN started, because Dish was slow

Apr 12, 2021, 11:01 AM

on the uptake. Don't remember much about it, because Dish was still my primary source.

As long as John Swofford personally stamped your YoutubeTV

Apr 12, 2021, 11:02 AM [ in reply to I get ACCN with youtube tv ]

card, you're OK.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well it used to have it, then it didn't, and you're saying

Apr 12, 2021, 11:13 AM [ in reply to I get ACCN with youtube tv ]

it does again?

Never left my YoutubeTV that I remember.***

Apr 12, 2021, 2:38 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It didn't originally have it.

Apr 12, 2021, 2:46 PM

I may have misremembered it did then dropped it, but there was a reason I can't recall right now that i went to Hulu and I thought that dropping ACCN was it.

I do vividly remember attempting to watch a Clemson game with YTTV and NOT having ACCN, so that may have been before they subscribed to it:

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/youtube-tv-is-adding-the-acc-network-joining-playstation-vue-hulu/

If I have one complaint about YoutubeTV, it's that it's a

Apr 12, 2021, 11:00 AM [ in reply to Hulu is only useful because of the ACC network ]

very typical Google user interface in that it looks great to developers and not so great to non-tech industry end users. It doesn't bother me because we use numerous Google platforms for work and I'm used to it, but the amount of time I spend explaining how to navigate things to my wife gets to be a daunting task.

you hit on a key factor for me not dropping Dish.

Apr 12, 2021, 11:04 AM

Mrs No can navigate it pretty well, including watching DVR'd shows. She still doesn't get using the AV receiver remote to change the source to the Firestick for streaming, then using the Firestick remote to navigate the 8000 choices of various networks, shows, and movies.

Sling has a straighforward user interface.

Apr 12, 2021, 11:12 AM

The menu looks just like conventional cable or satellite tv, so it should be pretty easy for someone who's not used to streaming.

I tried Sling and could not find jacksheet

Apr 12, 2021, 2:39 PM

maybe I am too much of a Google guy, but Youtube works much easier imo.

Now, I do arrange the channels in the order I want them.

Needs help navigating youtube tv?

Apr 12, 2021, 11:07 AM [ in reply to If I have one complaint about YoutubeTV, it's that it's a ]

My lord, how did she EVER master a rotary phone?

Enter, back, up/down. I think that's like ALL of the options.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not gonna sugarcoat it.

Apr 12, 2021, 11:42 AM

Indiana farm girl will survive when the grid collapses better than 99.9% of humanity, yet newfangled technology frightens and confuses her.

Replies: 24
| visibility 398
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic