Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Gurley is getting screwed in more than one way.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 2,649

Gurley is getting screwed in more than one way.

Oct 10, 2014, 9:32 AM

He sells some autographs. So what ! Now he probably gets his college career ruined over this ?

UGA sells thousands of jerseys with Gurley's number on them, but that is okay?

As long as he is not signing stolen school property, I see no problem with this.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Its not about signing

Oct 10, 2014, 9:33 AM

It's about getting paid....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^ THIS***

Oct 10, 2014, 11:24 AM

What part of against the rules do U not understand ?

Oct 10, 2014, 9:33 AM

He's not getting SCREWED at all, he knew the rules and put himself above the school and the team.

Just because it's a rule doesn't make it right.

Oct 10, 2014, 9:47 AM

Segregation used to be a rule. Did that make it right?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the problem is

Oct 10, 2014, 9:57 AM

if you make it legal, boosters can start hiding payments as autograph signings and we got pay to play thingy again. come to our school and we'll pay you hundreds of thousands in autograph signings.

Its not cut and dry as you think it is.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They're hiding it already.***

Oct 10, 2014, 10:01 AM

ya, but you legalize it and it becomes a free for all

Oct 10, 2014, 10:04 AM

The schools with the richest donors call the shots.

I wish there was an easy way to get these kids money the schools are making off their names, but there's not. Maybe put the money in a fund for after school. But blantantly paying them is not the answer.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Gurley is getting screwed in more than one way.

Oct 10, 2014, 9:35 AM

It will open a door in college football that we don't want... Imagine players being recruited and this school says we will pay x amount and then this school said we pay x amount plus 2 so yes it is bad for the sport these athletes already get a free diploma and other things now is a college education cheap?

Imagine Auburn boosters being able to purchase

Oct 10, 2014, 9:38 AM

$200,000 worth of autographs upfront and legal like for recruits LOL

Re: Imagine Auburn boosters being able to purchase

Oct 10, 2014, 9:40 AM

Texas a&m would double it!

^^^this********

Oct 10, 2014, 9:43 AM [ in reply to Imagine Auburn boosters being able to purchase ]

It's against the rules.

Oct 10, 2014, 9:35 AM

Football is a game. Games have rules. Did you get $200 when you passed go after getting a 'Go to Jail,' card? Why play the game if you aren't going to adhere to the rules?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The rules aren't enforced consistently across the board....

Oct 10, 2014, 9:49 AM

The NCAA has a history of selectively enforcing its own rules by picking and choosing who to punish and how severely.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Again, UGA is suspending him. Not the NCAA

Oct 10, 2014, 9:51 AM

UGA to their credit, actually has a compliance department. Not the sham operations that hire ex-Ohio State compliance officers.

Enforcement big issue but rules are required.***

Oct 10, 2014, 10:01 AM [ in reply to The rules aren't enforced consistently across the board.... ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree....

Oct 10, 2014, 10:15 AM

If there are going to be rules (as there should be), the enforcement of said rules must be fair and consistent and right now, it's not which is one of the biggest problems I have with the NCAA.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's against the rules.

Oct 10, 2014, 12:00 PM [ in reply to It's against the rules. ]

No but that money is worthless.... Pretty stupid example

Let me give you an example (hypothetical)

Lets say that your rival (call them SCar for grins) is trying to recruit a great player (lets call him a Clowney). Now its against the NCAA rules for a booster to just give Clowney money to go to this mythical school called SCar. Bobo da Clowney would be ineligible to play at SCar if he took that money. Nobody disagrees with that rule.

Now what if that same booster told Bobo da Clowney sign this free poster and he'll give Clowney $100/$1000/$10,000 for it? You'd be pretty pissed off about that.

Its got nothing to do with selling your likeness or autograph. Thats just another way of funneling money to a player. Besides, last I looked Gurley was signing Georgia gear...something that was popular long before he got there and long after he is gone. So who's ripping off who?

geeville tigers getting screwed every year

With this property tax.

I own my house. . Why I gotta pay taxes. The government gets tens of dollars already from my income.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Johnny Football and Clowney did the exact same thing....

Oct 10, 2014, 9:44 AM

and anyone who says they didn't is either lying or completely full of ****. Both got little more than a light slap on the wrist for it, but now all of a sudden the NCAA wants to make an example out of Gurley !?!?!?!

I agree 100% !***

Oct 10, 2014, 9:45 AM

UGA is suspending him, not the NCAA

Oct 10, 2014, 9:50 AM [ in reply to Johnny Football and Clowney did the exact same thing.... ]

UGA is just trying to protect itself because they haven't had time to investigate it themselves. I bet that if it is really just the $500 that is being reported, Gurley will be suspended for 1 game and has to pay $500 to some charity.

If this would have been in the offseason, it wouldn't surprise me if Gurley would have been given similar suspension as Manziel.

But after Johnny Manziel last year, and I'm sure that UGA has told their current team about what happened to their own AJ Green, Gurley should be suspended for multiple games just for being monumentally stupid.

I agree that UGa is just trying to cover its a$$.***

Oct 10, 2014, 9:54 AM

Re: UGA is suspending him, not the NCAA

Oct 10, 2014, 12:05 PM [ in reply to UGA is suspending him, not the NCAA ]

No the NCAA has ruled he is an Ineligible Player
UGA had no choice in suspending him
In all fairness he took himself out of the game for a few $$$$$

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree it's a bad rule and it will

Oct 10, 2014, 9:51 AM

Get changed. Bad rules and laws don't get changed unless they're getting broken. This is just like when they said Olympic athletes couldn't get paid everyone knew it was happening so they eventually changed the rules.

Re: I agree it's a bad rule and it will

Oct 10, 2014, 9:56 AM

SO....... did you just ignore the discussion above and straight up post that it was a bad rule or did you take time to see the points and you still think its a bad rule?

So big time boosters can promise a player like DW $1,000,000

Oct 10, 2014, 9:55 AM

For autographs if he signs with say Texas or Bama or UF or OSU ...

Just have open bidding on recruits?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cheating is nothing new and you can't stop it.***

Oct 10, 2014, 10:02 AM

Then lets have no rules

No rules equals no cheating.

We should also get rid of holding since that happens on every play, isn't enforced equally and they obviously can't stop it.

Oh, yeah...Gurley really hurting.

Oct 10, 2014, 10:02 AM

He now is forced to have extra time to train for the NFL draft, where he is going to be a top pick.
He is forced to not get hit in the head or in the knees for the rest of the season.
He has the ability to make a little money if he wants, and that is just terrible!

With his history of injuries, sitting out might be good.***

Oct 10, 2014, 10:03 AM

You think maybe he wanted to get caught?***

By all accounts Gurley is a real high-character kid....

Oct 10, 2014, 10:11 AM

and I doubt he would do anything to deliberately hurt his team.

I have no reason to believe that's not true.

Oct 10, 2014, 10:13 AM

Though I'm not 100% sure it would be the wrong thing to do, in this NCAA system.

This precedent goes way beyond Gurley.

Oct 10, 2014, 10:04 AM [ in reply to Oh, yeah...Gurley really hurting. ]

Any college player should be able to sell his autograph.

If he signs with an agent toady,$$$ are paid upfront.

Oct 10, 2014, 10:04 AM [ in reply to Oh, yeah...Gurley really hurting. ]

He's not hurting at all, his team which he should have been loyal top is hurting, will vacate wins and lose games without him.

Wonder how loyal UGA would be to him...

Oct 10, 2014, 10:07 AM

if he weren't a great back and a Heisman candidate.

You're still not going to win the East.***

Oct 10, 2014, 10:08 AM [ in reply to Oh, yeah...Gurley really hurting. ]

Okey dokey.

Oct 10, 2014, 10:10 AM

I definitely never will, because I can't play sports well anyway. As for the South Carolina football team, they'll do good to win another game against someone besides Furman or South Alabama.

Jersey Profit

Oct 10, 2014, 10:35 AM

The school may make money with selling Gurley's jersey but keep in mind, schools only make about $8-$12 per jersey. I really don't think any school sales enough to make millions. I read a report some time back and can't remember where I read it. Clemson made around $112,000 for Sammy's jersey sales over the 3 year period he was at Clemson. Clemson didn't even make the average of $8-$12. That being said, Schools don't make the majority of money off of players. It's the NCAA and other apparel shops that make money.

Agreed...and when it's all said and done...

Oct 10, 2014, 11:23 AM

it's not Sammy's or Gurley's jersey...it's a Clemson and Georgia jersey that they happened to wear for a few years.

I think it IS strange that these guys technically don't own

Oct 10, 2014, 11:51 AM

the rights to their name...but I also understand it will open a can of worms if players are allowed to do this. I think it's best if they just follow the rules. I'm all for giving players more 'stuff' if needed...the NCAA certainly makes enough off college football...and isn't it untaxed? Maybe the NCAA is also upset because they're not making any profit from his name in this particular instance lol.

Replies: 42
| visibility 2,649
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic