Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Syracuse Scouting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Syracuse Scouting

Nov 2, 2016, 11:49 PM

It's that time again. Got Game 7 of the world series on and was spending some time with the family but without further ado, here is my weekly opponent scouting report and with some analysis. Time to stop talking about all over teams/rankings/postseason/next season/etc.... and FOCUS on the next opponent, Syracuse.

Bottom line, can they win? You better believe it. Will they? Not unless we help them. Here we go:

KEYs (3 for each phase of the game)

OFFENSE

1) Run the Ball

-This normally goes without saying, but it is even more important in this game. Syracuse is averaging giving up 199.3 yards a game ON THE GROUND. Wayne is going to get A LOT of carries. He is going to need the other guys to spell him. Could we see Tavien get his opportunity? It could happen this weekend, but don’t be surprised if we run the ball 50+ times this game.

2) 3rd down conversions

-This one is key. Syracuse has played Louisville and Virginia Tech this season and is still averaging only giving up 35% conversions on 3rd down. How do we increase this on Saturday? Run the ball successfully on 1st AND 2nd down. For some reason we love to run the following set of play calls: A) 1st run, 2nd pass, 3rd tossup, B) 1st Screen, 2nd Run, 3rd Down field, C) 1st Run, 2nd Screen 3rd Deep Deep DEEP shot. Keep a scorecard (like keeping score at a baseball game) and tell me how many drives have 3 plays in a row called like this. You’ll be surprised. You want to impose your will on a team that is terrible at stopping the run? Run on 1st AND 2nd down. 3rd and 2/3s are what we need, not 3rd and 7+ (Ask Virginia Tech about 3rd Downs (Syracuse was 10/21, almost 50% against them), and even Louisville when they only had a 14-point lead going into the 4th quarter).

3) 1st Half Scoring

-I shouldn’t have to tell y’all how much better we are scoring on opponents in the 1st half this season (86-6 1st Quarter, 81-37 2nd Quarter). Syracuse is coming off a bye week, which means they had a chance to get healthy and to spend some extra time preparing for us. You want to take them out of the game as quick as possible, and if we come out and execute on both sides of the ball, we can take control well before halftime. Teams score more points per quarter as the game goes on (6 and 37 in 1st and 2nd quarter respectively but 44 and 54 in the 3rd and 4th quarters respectively as well). End this game before halftime. The longer they hang around, the more they will start to believe.

DEFENSE

1) Stop the Pass

-wait, you mean stop the run right? No. Syracuse is averaging 129 yards a game on the ground, but their qb is averaging 328.88 yards/game through the air. Dungy (#2) is also completing 65% of his passes (he’s no slouch). Do I see us playing more 2 safeties to try and make them run the ball? Possibly, because we have a clear advantage on their O line with our D line. They will use tempo to try to even those odds out, but incompletions will prevent up tempo. INCOMPLETIONS WILL PREVENT UP TEMPO. INCOMPLETIONS WILL PREVENT UP TEMPO. (Got the point yet?) Force them into 3rd and longs and allow Jadar and the secondary to go up and pick the ball off.

2) Limit/Stop #7 (Etta-Tawo), #3 (Phillips), #8 (Ishmael), and #1 (Estime)

-why these 4? I told you #2 (Dungy) is average 328.88 yards/game passing. Guess how many yards these 4 are averaging in receiving yards/game? 315.01 (yes you read that right). That’s 96% of their passing yards between 4 receivers. #7 is average almost half of those by himself (134.25).

3) Force 2 Turnovers or more

- Why 2 turnovers? Because you can almost bet the house that in someway we will likely turn the ball over twice. 18 through 8 games is just over 2 per game. How to negate that? Takeaways (and not have any giveaways, but we haven’t had a game with zero turnovers but once (I think) this entire season)).

SPECIAL TEAMS

1) Punts

-We have the advantage here. Why? Syracuse has 50 punts on the season. Touchbacks? 2. Inside 20? 13 (about 25%). Ray Ray, HANG ONTO THE #### BALL AND WE HAVE THE ADVANTAGE.

2) Field Goals

-Syracuse is 8/15 on the season. 1 Blocked, Perfect from 50+ (1/1), 7/14 Under 50 yards (again, another week where we have the advantage and if it comes down to a kick, I like our chances.)

3) Kickoffs

- Syracuse 41 kickoffs (5 per game, that’s it). Touchbacks? 10 (that’s it). 4 went out of bounds. Artavis? CJ? Be ready, the opportunity to run one back could happen this weekend.

Come out fast and focused and we put this away earlier. If we are sloppy and turn the ball over, they'll have a chance.

Prediction: Clemson 49 Syracuse 24. Syracuse's up tempo will be effective in spots, but we will jump out to an early 21-0 lead and have a 31-10 lead at halftime. Teams trade 2 TDs a piece in the 2nd half and we get it done and move on to the next one.

Stats

• 4-4 Overall, 2-2 in Conference
o Wins over Colgate, @ UConn, Virginia Tech, @ Boston College
o Losses to Louisville, South Florida, Notre Dame, @ Wake Forest
o Scoring 26.63 points/game
o Giving up 31.63 points/game
• Offense (per game average)
o 26.63 points
o 24 first downs
o Rushing 129.6 yards
? 1.25 TD rushes
? 3.3 yards/carry
o Passing 357.13 yards
? 2 TD passes
? 12.16 yards/catch
o Total Offense 468.8 yards
? 3.25 TDs
? 84 plays
o Turnovers (giveaways)
? -1 Turnover Margin (season)
? Fumbles (season)
• 13 total
• 6 Lost
? Interceptions
• 6 thrown (season)
o Sacks Given up
? 22 (season)
• 2.75/game
o Penalties
? 8/62.75 yards per game
o 3rd Down Conversions
? 42.47%
• 62/146 (season)
o 7.75/18.25/game
• Defense (per game average)
o 31.63 points/game
o 21 first downs/game
o Rushing 199.3 yards/game
? 2.38 TDs
? 5.0 yards/carry
o Passing 251.50 yards/game
? 1.13 TDs
? 14.69 yards/catch
o Total Offense 450.8 yards/game
? 3.51 TDs
? 71 plays
o Turnovers (Takeaways)
? Fumbles (season)
• 16 forced, 5 recovered
? Interceptions (season)
• 6 taken
o Sacks
? 1.5 per game
o Penalties
? 5/46.13 yards per game
o 3rd Down Conversions
? 35%
• 42/120 (season)
o 5.25/15 per game

References
http://www.cuse.com/cumestats.aspx?path=football&year=2016&&
http://www.clemsontigers.com/fls/28500/pdf/football/2016-17/Stats.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=28500&DB_OEM_ID=28500

Syracuse vs VT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6KWYncM07U

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

gracias....***

Nov 2, 2016, 11:54 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Syracuse Scouting

Nov 3, 2016, 12:09 AM

Thanks for the insight.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 3, 2016, 12:31 AM

Your final score is pretty spot on I believe

Nov 3, 2016, 12:36 AM

Thanks. Watching the tape on them and their offense reminds me a lot of 2011 Clemson. Not that good in the trenches but their skill players on offense are pretty good. Dungy is an underrated QB IMO and those receivers are very good. The RBs haven't been all that great this season but they'd have better chances if their O line was better. The defense struggles at times from the tempo of the offense so I don't think they are as bad at times as they have played, but when they win the turnover margin they can win by double digits (VT for example). Up and coming team with potential to do bigger things. Just need some key pieces added in the trenches and they could make some serious noise.

How'd we go from 31 to 49 w/ only 2 TDs?

Nov 3, 2016, 7:36 AM [ in reply to Re: Syracuse Scouting ]

That's 4 missing points, which is also a weird number unless you expect us to miss both PATs and make 2 field goals. Or get 2 safeties. That would be awesome.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Don't be surprised haha

Nov 3, 2016, 8:35 AM

Yea good catch. Could be a safety, one missed pat and a fg with those two TDs.

Nice job!!!***

Nov 3, 2016, 12:40 AM

This game will not be an easy out

Nov 3, 2016, 12:42 AM

I think it's close for 3 quarters

Re: This game will not be an easy out

Nov 3, 2016, 12:45 AM

very possible. I think it's crucial we come out of the gates firing on all cylinders.

Nov 3, 2016, 6:41 AM

Good work - tip of the cap to you!

The opposition's scoring stats are an area I see that I hope HCDS, Staff and the team can address. Watching the games, I know there are many variables as to why they are what they are, but it is a troubling trend for this fan.

GO TIGERS!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Nov 3, 2016, 7:30 AM

After getting past FSU, the level talent we face against Syracuse doesn't stack up against us. I see all the ooooos and ahhhhhhs about Syracuse running 100 plays against us. Not gonna happen. One stat that does worry me is that in 4 away games, Clemson has 6 turnovers. In 4 home games, 12 turnovers. That trend needs to stop right now. Syracuse will run the dink and dunk as long as the defense allows it to be successful. However, our offense will have a field day against this weak Syracuse defense. Yes, they did beat VT 31-17, and they did just barely beat BC. This one won't be close if the offense doesn't turn it over.

Some of the more key areas from my view:

Kick off returns defense:

Clemson. 23 returns, 25 TBs, 371 yards. 16.1. Ranked 4th
Syracuse 26 returns, 10 TBs, 663 yards 25.5 2 TDs. Ranked 117th

Sacks allowed:

Clemson. 11 sacks allowed in 8 games
Syracuse. 22 sacks allowed in 8 games

Sacks:

Clemson 31 sacks in 8 games
Syracuse 12 sacks in 8 games

Tackles for loss allowed:

Clemson 34 allowed in 8 games
Syracuse 46 allowed in 8 games

Tackles for loss:

Clemson 61 in 8 games
Syracuse. 26 in 8 games

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 3, 2016, 7:31 AM

Say what you want Dabo bUT we need to play tempo this game go fast score often and put these guys away. When we play slow the offense bogs down. Bit knowing us we won't make it easy. THIS will be a tough out . Our secondary will be tested

How mobile is Dungy?

Nov 3, 2016, 7:48 AM

He'd better be very mobile because Slash, Big Dex, and Carlos will be in his face all day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: How mobile is Dungy?

Nov 3, 2016, 8:31 AM

Dungy is pretty elusive and Syracuse might run him out of a spread set about once a quarter (sort of a lead draw look where the running back leads him). He's not somebody who is going to break a big one on you, but he's more than capable of turning a 3rd and 10 into a first down when flushed if your pass rushers don't maintain lane discipline.

Dungy is a crafty QB and is right out of central casting for an uptempo, no huddle attack because he's very accurate throwing the football.

Good review, but I am worried about our PI calls***

Nov 3, 2016, 9:56 AM

Re: Good review, but I am worried about our PI calls***

Nov 3, 2016, 4:27 PM

Yep. We will see what happens this weekend. Last home game we didn't get a single call our way, not a single one. That needs to change this weekend.

Bump***

Nov 4, 2016, 10:07 PM

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic