Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
With Petrino and Louisville pulling Colburns
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

With Petrino and Louisville pulling Colburns

Feb 3, 2015, 2:15 PM

Scholly at the last minute, I wish all the high school coaches in state would tell Petrino to #### off. I hate to see this happen to any kid, no matter the school.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: With Petrino and Louisville pulling Colburns

Feb 3, 2015, 2:17 PM

Agree. Same here.

Spurrier did the EXACT same thing to two kids in 2011....

Feb 3, 2015, 2:17 PM

except Spurrier waited until the eve of National Signing Day to inform them and, as you might expect, Spurrier got a complete pass from both the local and national media.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

But not with BigCUFan®!

Feb 3, 2015, 2:18 PM

:)

I've got no problem with coaches pulling a kids offer...

Feb 3, 2015, 2:24 PM

Recruiting is a constantly moving target and circumstances can and generally do change rapidly. The problem I have is waiting until the night before NDS to let them know. That conduct is reprehensible.

As far as I'm concerned, Pertino and Spurrier are cut from the same cloth. They're both self-serving low-lifes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think once they've offered, it should be binding.

Feb 3, 2015, 2:28 PM

Then they would be more judicious with whom they offer.

It should go the other way, too. Forget "commitments"...the student can accept the offer or not, and if he does, it is binding.

Re: I think once they've offered, it should be binding.

Feb 3, 2015, 2:34 PM

yea I can see both sides off this. It would hurt a program if a recruit is verbally committed and flips at the last minute. The scolly you saved for him could have been used for another and now you have cooled off contact with the other recruits cause you thought you were done.

Don't get me started on "contact with recruits".

Feb 3, 2015, 2:36 PM

Wouldn't be much of that, either, if I were emperor.

In many cases, you're talking about 16 and 17 year old kids

Feb 3, 2015, 2:36 PM [ in reply to I think once they've offered, it should be binding. ]

You basically have an unenforceable covenant since a kid who has not yet reached the "age of majority" cannot be legally bound to a contract, and to further compound matters, the age limit varies from state to state.

So what's the point of "signing day"?

Feb 3, 2015, 2:37 PM

If the students can't actually legally agree to anything? Just do away with the whole thing, and if they show up in August, slap a uniform on them.

I believe the parent or legal guardian signs as well***

Feb 3, 2015, 2:39 PM

should they qualify academically first? i mean your plan

Feb 3, 2015, 2:39 PM [ in reply to So what's the point of "signing day"? ]

might work at a ######## like scar where academics don't matter, but i'm just spit balling here of course.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd like it to be identical, or as close as possible, to the

Feb 3, 2015, 2:40 PM

process used to enroll students who are not athletes.

wait, i thought they were just showing up in august and then

Feb 3, 2015, 2:42 PM

getting a uniform slapped on them? it seems the only thing simple here might be you?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was in the hypothetical situation Biggie posted

Feb 3, 2015, 2:44 PM

in which the 16 or 17 year old can't actually agree to anything.

biggies isn't hypothetical and neither was mine.***

Feb 3, 2015, 2:46 PM

He later added that parents can sign, meaning

Feb 3, 2015, 2:47 PM

what I posted was no longer applicable.

parents do sign, not can and it changes my offering not

Feb 3, 2015, 2:50 PM

one bit, you seem to enforce it.

do you not know the process you're discussing?

Not at all.***

Feb 3, 2015, 2:52 PM

it shows. nice work though...***

Feb 3, 2015, 2:53 PM

Gracias.***

Feb 3, 2015, 2:53 PM

de nada.***

Feb 3, 2015, 2:55 PM

I had to meet a deadline to be able to enroll in the fall

Feb 3, 2015, 2:44 PM [ in reply to I'd like it to be identical, or as close as possible, to the ]

semester, as far as letting them know I was wanted to enroll. Just make it the same for the football players.

Prodigal, we get it bro

Feb 3, 2015, 2:47 PM

You guys have experienced an unprecedented recruiting meltdown this year, so naturally you're on here trying to find comfort in seeking a collective pessimistic attitude toward the process.

Can't say I blame you, but as a Clemson fan I find recruiting tactics to be just fine these days.

it's bravocock, back in the day when he actually didn't hide

Feb 3, 2015, 2:48 PM

from it.

It's funny

Feb 3, 2015, 2:50 PM

Ever since this run of decootments, it seems every one of his posts is aimed at how faulty the process is.

Let's just say...it's all relative.

batman had the bat signal, cattleprod comes running when

Feb 3, 2015, 2:52 PM

sec bias is bandied about. it's almost clockwork with him.

Check my posts from this time last year, or the year before

Feb 3, 2015, 2:53 PM [ in reply to It's funny ]

or the year before that. (I mean, maybe SC had bad recruiting those years, too. I try very hard every year to avoid receiving any information at all about it.)

LOL...hide? When have I ever hid from that?***

Feb 3, 2015, 2:53 PM [ in reply to it's bravocock, back in the day when he actually didn't hide ]

every day since 7/6/10 or are you having trouble reading?***

Feb 3, 2015, 2:54 PM

Okey dokey.

Feb 3, 2015, 2:55 PM

The fact that I am bravocock is very public knowledge that I've never denied. (Except in a joking manner, i.e., me posting something like "that bravocock was a moron!")

i don't blame you for your embarrassment.***

Feb 3, 2015, 2:57 PM

Re: I had to meet a deadline to be able to enroll in the fall

Feb 3, 2015, 4:39 PM [ in reply to I had to meet a deadline to be able to enroll in the fall ]

Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winning comment. Good post!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In this day and age of the vast information highway, I can't

Feb 3, 2015, 2:52 PM [ in reply to In many cases, you're talking about 16 and 17 year old kids ]

imagine that parents, or HS coaches, or some type of family "adviser" doesn't do sufficient research to see that with some coaches and programs, you're dealing with da debil. If its my kid or a relatively close family member (in case the kid doesn't come from a terrific environment) or if I'm pastor to a family, I'd want to make sure everyone involved knew the dangers of recruiting (as well as the good stuff)---especially all these recruiting experts and reps of a college programs.

The stories have been around for too long. At this late date, ALL HS coaches are aware of what can happen. The kid from South Carolina HAD to have some kind of information on Petrino (and maybe he did) cuz there are certainly plenty of Div 1 programs within a short drive that would probably have loved to sign the young man.

Not trying to cast unnecessary aspersions on the young man, but Petrino's a known commodity.

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 3, 2015, 2:57 PM [ in reply to I think once they've offered, it should be binding. ]

good luck with this especially on the players commitment!! lots(most?) of them have no idea what a commitment should mean.. and their parents don`t either!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, they don't exactly have good examples to follow***

Feb 3, 2015, 2:58 PM

I TU'ed but with a slight modification

Feb 3, 2015, 3:08 PM [ in reply to I think once they've offered, it should be binding. ]

I love anything that makes the school more discriminant on offers, but I don't think a player should have to sign right then and there. I know the adage is prospects should choose a school and not a coach, but there are too many things that make the school attractive that can change from the time they commit to the time they show up. It would be like ordering a car, but not knowing what color it could be when it rolls off the assembly line.

The other term that burns me now is "commitable offer." If a prospect can't accept the scholarship on the spot then its not an offer. Its a contingency.

No, I don't think they should have to sign right then.

Feb 3, 2015, 3:10 PM

They can take their time and think about it. They can accept any time from the time the school offers, up to some deadline.

Maybe a better way would be to limit the # of offers

Feb 3, 2015, 3:23 PM

If you limit the number of offers that a school can have out at any one time, it lessens the chances of a prospect getting "bumped" for a better player at the last minute. Maybe limit it to 2x the number of available and non-committed scholarships. (Pick a number. I don't know if 2x is right or not, just for conversation) You wouldn't have schools offering tons of players and then sorting them out later.

That would force schools to take more of a targeted approach and it would force prospects to really rank their schools. You wouldn't have a player holding on to 10 offers on the last day because the schools who thought they were no longer part of his process to actually pull their offer to move on to some other player. Might even help with the oversigning problems as well.

Feb 3, 2015, 4:32 PM [ in reply to I think once they've offered, it should be binding. ]

I agree with one exception. If the athlete decides, after committing, to take other visits for fun, etc. then the scholarship offer can be pulled by the offering school because, apparently the student athlete is not totally committed. Binding scholarship offers should be binding for both the student athlete and the school. A simple solution would be for the student athlete to be able to sign a LOI after a "short reconsideration period" after his commitment. Should he not sign the LOI, then "all bets are off" and both can do whatever they want to do.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've got no problem with coaches pulling a kids offer...

Feb 3, 2015, 4:02 PM [ in reply to I've got no problem with coaches pulling a kids offer... ]

ultra big TU for you, BigCUFan, for hitting the nail on the head!!!

Fughettaboutit !

Feb 3, 2015, 2:46 PM

Million dollar salaries, being fired if they don't have a winning record.
Gonna happen folks.
Good guys often finish last.

Besides most of us have this knee jerk reaction to something like this. How do you know the kid was not in some sort of trouble---or maybe thought to be uncontrollable? Maybe did not like the attitude---or the group he hangs with??? Poor grades? Could be many reasons.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not with this kid

Feb 3, 2015, 4:38 PM

He's fully qualified, got his head on straight, and is an all around good kid. I have a couple friends who either have kids that play for Dutch Fork or played there with Colburn in the recent past. All of them say without hesitation this kid is about as squared away as you will find a kid nowadays.

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic