Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For the life of me, I can't understand this...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 63
| visibility 1

For the life of me, I can't understand this...

Feb 21, 2020, 12:41 PM

Here are the high-profile OOC games Georgia has scheduled within the next 10 years...

Oregon, Oklahoma, Clemson, UCLA, Florida State, Texas, Ohio State
(UGA will play 4 of these 7 teams within the next 5 years.)

Here are the high-profile OOC games Clemson has scheduled within the next 10 years...

Notre Dame, Georgia, LSU

Why can't we play more high-profile OOC teams the way Georgia (and many others) are doing? I'd love to play Oregon, USC, Texas, Michigan. Even a team as close by as Florida...we've never played them in my 47 years on Earth. That's ludicrous in my opinion.

But yet here we are...Akron, App State, Florida Atlantic, UConn, Louisiana Tech, Troy...no wonder America wants to slam our schedule every year. If if you're being completely honest, who can blame them?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For the life of me, I can't understand this...

Feb 21, 2020, 12:45 PM

I dont get why Bama always gets a total pass on their anemic OOC schedule

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 21, 2020, 1:51 PM

74TIGER said:

I dont get why Bama always gets a total pass on their anemic OOC schedule

Next ten years for Bama
2020- Southern Cal
21- Miami
22- Texas
23- USF & Texas
24- USF & Wisconsin
25- Fl. State & Wisconsin
26- USF, West Virginia, and Fl. State
27- West Virginia
28- Notre Dame
29- Notre Dame

10 year ooc doesn't look bad.....

Feb 21, 2020, 2:01 PM

I hope as much as the next Clemson fan that Jeff Scott has a lot of success at USF, but are we seriously counting that as scheduling well for Bama?

USF at this point is not any different than Wyoming, Troy, or Akron. They have been a mediocre Group of 5 team lately.

Bama has 2 years in the next 10 where they have more than 1 Power 5 OOC game.

Feb 22, 2020, 9:55 PM

TigersO said:

I hope as much as the next Clemson fan that Jeff Scott has a lot of success at USF, but are we seriously counting that as scheduling well for Bama?

USF at this point is not any different than Wyoming, Troy, or Akron. They have been a mediocre Group of 5 team lately.

Bama has 2 years in the next 10 where they have more than 1 Power 5 OOC game.

It looks like a far better schedule than any other team's ooc schedule that is listed in this thread. So.... Yes it is. And on top of that they will continue to have to play a SEC schedule that most schools including Clemson(unfortunately) would stumble over numerous times. Just like bama did this last year. Clemson only has a winning record versus two teams in the SEC. South Carolina and Texas am. It's worst percentage is against Alabama at 2 wins and 11 losses. It's next worst percentage is against Tennessee at 1 win and 4 losses. In Clemson's last 8 games against SEC schools Clemson has went 6 and 2. If that were an SEC schedule Clemson would be left out of CFP. 2 losses just doesn't cut it as a season. That also includes 6 different SEC schools and presents a very similar regular SEC season.

Despite the tough SEC schedule bama has scheduled some of the biggest names in college football

Feb 23, 2020, 2:25 PM

2 losses u speak of, were playoff losses; not some random reg season sec opponent-the eventual NC in the latter instance, the former-the CFP Championship[fwiw, the vast majority of losses to SEC schools occurred, conservatively est. before 1980(much like our overall record vs Georgia Tech-much earlier than 1980)

Feb 23, 2020, 4:22 PM

Apologies, u were referencing reg season, I conveniently forgot about 13 & 14-

meanwhile we play wofford and sc state and the coots***

Feb 23, 2020, 5:14 PM [ in reply to Re: For the life of me, I can't understand this... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 21, 2020, 12:49 PM

Probably cause their all skeered to play us.

In the next 5 years, UGA also plays...wait for it....

Feb 21, 2020, 12:51 PM

E. Tenn St
Louisiana Monroe
UAB twice
Charleston Southern
Samford
Kent St
Tenn Tech
and...
*gasp* UMASS

Or did you conveniently leave those out to make a halfasss point? Those high-profile games UGA plays are one off, not home and home. Ours are home and home plus a neutral site game with UGA.

They also get KY, Vandy, Missouri, Arkansas, SCar, GT

Feb 21, 2020, 12:58 PM

Tennessee, Miss St, and aTm. They don't play Alabama or LSU at all. Their toughest scheduled games are Clemson, Auburn, and Florida over that time span.

Re: In the next 5 years, UGA also plays...wait for it....

Feb 21, 2020, 1:29 PM [ in reply to In the next 5 years, UGA also plays...wait for it.... ]

What's your point about the teams you lists that UGA plays? In 21 when UGA plays UAB and C. Southern, Clemson has SC State and UCONN. In 22 the Dawgs have Samford and Kent St. Know who Clemson plays? La Tech and Furman. In 23, UGA plays UAB while Clemson has Fl. Atlantic and Wofford. I'm not taking a shot a Clemson. I pointing out that Clemson also has their share of cupcakes.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My point was you guys' schedule isn't what the OP

Feb 21, 2020, 1:35 PM

tried to convey, and I thought I made that clear. Your schedule is no more difficult than ours over the next 5 years. That's my point.

Re: My point was you guys' schedule isn't what the OP

Feb 21, 2020, 1:55 PM

The purpose of my OP was to address the issue of the lack of variation in the OOC teams we play, which tends to make things stale. My intent had nothing to do with the difficulty of our schedule.

Because ND won't join the ACC***

Feb 21, 2020, 12:52 PM

From 2020-2027 they have one of those premier teams each

Feb 21, 2020, 12:53 PM

year plus Ga Tech, very similar to how we schedule. Beginning in 2028 they play two marquee teams each year. Of course, schedules are subject to change, especially when you're talking 8+ years from now.

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/georgia/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

I'm a contrarian.

Feb 21, 2020, 12:54 PM

I understand it perfectly. I have no problem with a team "buying two home wins." Money drives the train. Playing an Akron (and paying them a relatively small stipend for coming to Clemson) goes a long, long way to paying for the non-revenue sports. If you can't make more money playing an Oregon or a Texas at a nuetral site game, then why take the chance of losing.

Playoff rules are fairly simple:

1. Win em all and you're in.
2. Lose one and you have a good shot at being in, but you might need some help.
3. Lose 2 and you're out.

At the end of the year, If Clemson finished 12-1 (including winning the conference) with a win over Akron, they would stand a lot better chance to make the playoffs than if they finished 11-2 with a loss to Michigan.

I'm an FSU fan. For years our fans have berated Florida for starting the season with two cupcakes at home. I haven't. Those two home games earned enough profit to pay for ALL their non-revenue sports. And, it didn't hurt their chances for getting to play for the national championship.

Re: I'm a contrarian.

Feb 21, 2020, 1:07 PM

This is the best reply I’ve read in this conversation, and everything you say here makes sense.

Right now, Clemson’s regular seasons just aren’t that interesting. A lot of that has to do with the talent gap between Clemson and its opponents. We just aren’t being challenged. I just think scheduling games with these high profile teams we rarely (if ever) play against would kick the interest back up a notch for the regular season.

But what you say makes perfect sense. Thanks for your thoughts.

You like this reply because it doesn't directly address

Feb 21, 2020, 1:13 PM

faulty reasoning and conveying of irrational thought. You took a shot at your own team, a shot taken by SCar fans, UGA fans, and a lot of moron talking heads nearly every single day. I, for one, am going to shed light on that fact.

Re: You like this reply because it doesn't directly address

Feb 21, 2020, 1:24 PM

At least BretFSU made the time and effort to try to understand where I was coming from with the question, unlike yourself and most other T-Netters who are only interested in chopping down anyone and everyone they can find for any reason.

I have zero interest in chopping anybody down. I just

Feb 21, 2020, 1:34 PM

read your OP, period. You were whining about our schedule vs UGA's...an SEC team...like they play some sort of meat grinder 'OMG' schedule. They do not, now or over the next 5 years. You conveniently left out who else they play in order to make a point that isn't valid. In the process, you sounded like a parrot for opposing fans on a subject that I've grown highly intolerant of because it's nonsense.

Perhaps next time you'll choose your words, thoughts, and tone more carefully. It would help if you first 'for the life of you understand' what the hell you're talking about.

Re: I have zero interest in chopping anybody down. I just

Feb 21, 2020, 1:39 PM

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Re-Is-your-complaint-26910294#26910294

Feb 24, 2020, 11:55 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm a contrarian. ]

Until they make the SOS so important that teams don't schedule cupcakes, you are correct..... it is more important to win against a lesser opponent than lose to a top team. Opening with a couple easy ones does a bunch of good things for a top program. Lets them settle into their offense and should give plenty of mop up time to assess the younger guys to help decide redshirts, etc. The new redshirt rule changes that a bit, but if you were going into a year with a new QB, I would rather play Furman than a top ten team.

I wish we opened the year every year vs UGA since both schools are so close and fight over every recruit. I was at Clemson from 95-99 and luckily saw a couple Clemson / UGA games. Even though we came up short, I really loved the game when we wore our throwback uniforms (think it was 95). I always love seeing the case in Tigertown Tavern with that uniform in there.

Go Tigers !!!

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 21, 2020, 4:06 PM [ in reply to I'm a contrarian. ]

Those rules apply to everyone but the SEC, they can lose two and still get in the playoffs. The SEC can lose 1, and it's like they didn't lose any!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 23, 2020, 3:13 PM

What 2 loss SEC team has ever made the playoffs? Lol.

Feb 21, 2020, 12:54 PM

In Clemson's defense, they did schedule Texas A&M for 18 and 19, Auburn for 16 and 17, Notre Dame for 15, and Georgia for 13 and 14. I can't speak to Clemson's schedule moving forward but it doesn't seem they have been reluctant to schedule some pretty good teams out of conference.

Feb 21, 2020, 1:01 PM

You are correct but also being kind. I think ND came in the quasi conference deal where they play so many ACC teams each year. It isnt Clemson going out on their own to schedule them

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The point isn't a lack of good teams scheduled

Feb 21, 2020, 2:00 PM [ in reply to Re: For the life of me, I can't understand this... ]

it's the fact that we're playing the same good teams over and over and over. We have a lot of OOC games scheduled against UGA, ND and LSU.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

^^^^^THIS!!!^^^^^^

Feb 21, 2020, 2:15 PM

Thank you, GWPTiger®, for helping me say what I was trying to say. Apparently my OP effort was an epic fail. LOL

Re: The point isn't a lack of good teams scheduled

Feb 21, 2020, 4:27 PM [ in reply to The point isn't a lack of good teams scheduled ]

That's partly because we tend to make them home/home games, rather than one-off neutral site games. So you will play the same teams twice, but it cuts down uncertainty in scheduling, guarantees a home game with a marquee opponent, etc.

And since 2008, we've played regular season OOC games with Alabama, TCU, Texas A&M, Auburn, Georgia, Notre Dame. There is some variety there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You serious? You are inferring that Clemson avoids

Feb 21, 2020, 12:55 PM

scheduling challenging OOC games? Dabo has been pretty forthcoming in his desired schedule..we always play USuC and try to play one other in-state or regional school. Then we always do have another cupcake, in addition to a mjor OOC game.

That is better than most. When Clemson and TA&M hooked up, many people thought that was going to be potentially epic top 10 match-ups considering how TAM had been recruiting.

Seesm to me that you are complaining just to complain.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

coots and tarholes wood say App St. is high profile.

Feb 21, 2020, 12:57 PM

We play FSU every year and right now that ain’t doing us any favors.

And beating UCLA ain’t going to do anything special for Ugga.

~JKB

Re: coots and tarholes wood say App St. is high profile.

Feb 21, 2020, 4:17 PM

It hasn't been that long ago that FSU was one of the better teams in the country that was on our schedule every year. But it is their own fault that they are who they are now. Schools that hire win at any cost coaches usually get bit in their rear end the way FSU has been bc they allowed Jimbo to keep and play real thugs to get a Natty win!!!

Feb 21, 2020, 1:02 PM

https://mobile.twitter.com/PickSixPreviews/status/1229214111768219650?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1229214111768219650&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fclemson.forums.rivals.com%2Fthreads%2Fmost-power-5-opponents-over-the-last-15-seasons.197843%2F

But by all means please continue to ##### and moan for no reason. Also you conveniently left out how many times we play UGA and ND.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Feb 21, 2020, 1:05 PM

The part you are leaving out is that we play Notre Dame FIVE times and UGA FOUR times through 2030.

Then you add LSU in 2 times and you have a major game in every one of the next 11 years. (I made your 10 years into 11 years to include the complete home and away with UGA.)

We can't help playing Notre Dame 5 times.

We can't help playing scar 11 times through 2030. Our game with them has been a big game in the past even though it isn't getting us any credit nationally at the moment.

We play two Power 5 teams every single season now that we have fixed the '21 schedule. That is hardly something to complain about. Many Power 5 teams don't even schedule 1 major OOC game.

Also you included FSU, who we play 11 times through 2030, as a major game for UGA.

Maybe you should ask the question in a different way.

At this point, why would 95% of Power 5 teams risk their chances at a win by scheduling Clemson?

Ohio St is the only team on UGA's list that would have been able to play a competitive game with Clemson in the last 3-5 years. The others would have had to hope that we played a down game to give them a chance.

Feb 21, 2020, 1:06 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more variation in who we play, but Georgia is not playing any more actual "high profile" out of conference games than Clemson is. Clemson's match-ups are actually probably a little bit more difficult with Notre Dame, Georgia, LSU making up all 10 games, which will likely be a bit higher rated than UCLA, Virginia, or Texas (maybe) when they play.

And it's probably a toss-up as to who is more difficult between Georgia Tech and South Carolina most years.

Is your complaint...

Feb 21, 2020, 1:22 PM

...that you'd rather us play *different* marquee OOC games?

If so, then yeah, I can understand your point. It'd be nice to play a series against a team we rarely get to play. I can get behind that.

But if your point is that we need to schedule *harder* marquee OOC games, the I think you're list of teams we play is a bit disingenuous as every season in the foreseeable future we have scheduled at least one marquee OOC game.

Again if your issue is us not playing enough *different* teams, I can get behind that(and that would make sense as to why you include UCLA in your lauding of the UGA schedule), however I think our scheduled OOC games stand up (in strength) against dang near every other team in the country.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is your complaint...

Feb 21, 2020, 1:38 PM

My issue is that we don't play enough different marquee OOC teams. Our regular seasons might be a bit more exciting if we did.
Thank you for making an effort to understand my post before pulling out the guns.

Fair enough

Feb 21, 2020, 1:45 PM

I think the chief reason we find ourselves in this situation is due to the contractual obligations of playing ND 5 or so times in the next decade (as well as needing/wanting to primarily maintain 7 home games a year).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 21, 2020, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Is your complaint... ]

If that was your real intent why did you feel the need to to add this at the end:

"no wonder America wants to slam our schedule every year. If if you're being completely honest, who can blame them?"

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Feb 21, 2020, 2:00 PM

My bad.

Feb 21, 2020, 2:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Is your complaint... ]

I think the reason I said that is because from an outsider's point of view, when looking at a glance (without actually looking at our future schedules), they would see where someone like UGA has 7 big OOC opponents coming up, whereas Clemson only has 3.

I appreciate honest discussion on this board, so thanks for asking the question.

They probably have more flexibility because they only play 3

SEC road games every year.

Same reason Bama doesn't.

We've arrived and everybody knows it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

On the other hand, why do we care so much when people slam our schedule?

Feb 1, 2022, 7:06 AM

I think it's funny how you are complaining about a lot of OOC scheduling diversity. You really wanna go play UCLA and Oregon? Be my guest

I can't understand why it bothers you.

Feb 21, 2020, 2:03 PM

Our "weak" schedule hasn't prevented us from playing for conference and national championships.

We can let the UGAs of the world talk about their "tough" schedules while we keep doing our thing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I can't understand why it bothers you.

Feb 21, 2020, 2:12 PM

The purpose of my OP was to address the issue of the lack of variation in the OOC teams we play, which tends to make things stale. My intent had nothing to do with the difficulty of our schedule.

Thanks for clarifying.

Feb 21, 2020, 2:19 PM

Now I understand. I agree that some variation would be fun.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Thanks for clarifying.

Feb 21, 2020, 4:34 PM

Regardless of what is said coming from anybody, Dabo ain't scared of any conference team, especially the SEC!!!

https://fansided.com/2019/09/07/clemson-dabo-swinney-dominate-sec/

Feb 21, 2020, 2:18 PM [ in reply to I can't understand why it bothers you. ]

I believe once FSU, Miami and another ACC team or 2 rises up and I believe they will with new coaches in their 1st, 2nd and 3rd year. Maybe not powerhouses but good solid teams. Clemson will have one heck of a good schedule in and out of conference that will rival anyone's schedule. THE BEST IS YET TO COME!

Feb 23, 2020, 5:32 PM [ in reply to I can't understand why it bothers you. ]

It does add fuel to the fire and in turn draws attention from casuals who glom on to their side of the argument-

Feb 21, 2020, 2:23 PM

The very simple answer as to why we have less variation is....Notre Dame. We aren't choosing to play them 5 times, it's part of the ACC contract. That takes 5 years of variation off the table.

Feb 21, 2020, 2:34 PM

That is very true. I would like to think that if Notre Dame was a non-factor, we would vary our high-profile opponents as opposed to only playing a second SEC team every year.

Although...

Feb 21, 2020, 2:36 PM

If we DID limit our oppnents to the SEC, the first time or two that we play Florida or Tennessee might be fun. I am looking forward to the LSU home and home.

Variation would be good, but

Feb 21, 2020, 4:15 PM

The last time Clemson had 'variation', the conferences all thought they were expanding their conference schedules, so Ole Miss and Oklahoma State went 'poof'. No one's fault, per se, but it still sucked.

'Variation' point #2...it takes two to tango...the attractive 'variations' need an opening. Unless all Power 5's limit their schedules to one 'lesser' opponent (non-5, FCS), where will the opening come from?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Scar game has become

Feb 23, 2020, 2:21 AM

almost as bad as some of the small schools. Time was you had to know someone who knew someone who knew someone to get a ticket; the last few games weren't even sellouts. Playing SCar will never help Clemson, only has the potential to hurt. I know the "rivalry" has lasted 125 years or so and I think there is still legislation that requires they play each other but it sure isn't the game it used to be. Texas / Texas A&M have survived without playing each other....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hold on there...

Feb 23, 2020, 4:54 PM

I'm going to wear the "20 In A Row" t-shirt in front of all my Coot relatives.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: The Scar game has become

Feb 23, 2020, 5:23 PM [ in reply to The Scar game has become ]

Gee, I wonder when fans with tickets and the ticket offices will figure out we don't want to pay $110 to watch a 4-7 team. Dropping the tickets last second doesn't help sales.

Feb 23, 2020, 5:20 PM

you tell em' coot!

"I love this place, I've got a spot already picked out where I want 'em to put me when I die - up there on that ole hill near the stadium. I want to be there so I can hear all them people cheering my Tigers on Saturdays; then I won't have to go Heaven; I'll already be there."- Frank Howard

Feb 23, 2020, 5:22 PM

Because ND plays us like 5 times this next decade because of skipping out last time.

In the last ten years Clemson has played.....

Feb 24, 2020, 10:59 AM

Auburn 5 times
SC 10 times
TAMU 2 times
Georgia 2 times
Notre Dame 1 time, plus a play off game

All those match up were part of home and home series that took us on the road.

Plus Clemson has played games against the following top 5 teams: Ohio State (2), LSU, Alabama (4), Oklahoma (2). Our post season play also included another LSU game and a WVU game. Overall, our schedule has been superior to that played by Georgia. Our regular season has taken us to games the Bulldogs only dream of winning. Plus Clemson has won 2 Nattys. Over the last 10 years Clemson ranks 3rd in the nation in winning percentage. Over the last ten years Clemson has won 17 more games than the Bulldogs.

So what I can't understand is why a Clemson fan would envy Georgia's upcoming schedule and forget which team has clearly been the best over the past decade.

Re: In the last ten years Clemson has played.....

Feb 24, 2020, 11:36 AM

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Re-Is-your-complaint-26910294#26910294

in Florida’s case, they have not played out of conference,

Feb 23, 2020, 5:44 PM

Out of state home and homes in decades.

They are now looking at doing it, but that has been a scheduling policy of theirs for years.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 63
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic